Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E03: Week 3: Ellen DeGeneres & More

• Start Topic

Uh...there's a Blake? I swear they just put that guy in this week. 

The Ellen date had me cracking up, I loved how she was hating on all of their intros. Basically I love when the guests snark on the contestants!

If I was bringing my friends around to meet the 20-some guys I was dating I would be PISSED if Raven showed up in that outfit! The true challenge was who resisted hitting on her! Kudos to whoever called out those extras who were fed lines like "show us your junk" that was so cringeworthy.

Poor Anthony had no chemistry with Rachel. The "Can I kiss you?" thing with Fred was awful---she should've just said no b/c then she basically encouraged him to kiss her without warning and she obviously didn't want to kiss him and then *smallvoice* whaboom *smallvoice* she's locked in an uncomfortable makeout session she can't get out of.

It was clearly an audition to set up their storyline for BIP 

Please don't make me have to see them again!!!!!!!!

• Love 2

Rachel was so articulate and spoke so well when she told DeMario why he was not going back into the mansion. Score huge points for Rachel!

Then Rachel was a complete and total DICK for taking that rose with when she took Fred aside to kick him to the curb in private. WTH, Rachel. My opinion of you just went into the dumper.

I can’t get past why Rachel “just can’t” with Fred because she remembers him as a freaking EIGHT YEAR OLD. WTHeck? And she never says why he was so “bad.” Every 8-year-old kid I know is “bad,” so what does that mean? There’s a different between putting-a-frog-in-your-bed bad and dealing-meth bad. Count your blessings you are home now, Fred, especially since Rachel was such a dick to you. Even YOU were 8 once, Rachel.

I saw that episode of Ellen, and remember being grossed by the “he got my sloppy seconds” kissing comment. I loved Ellen being able to immediately say which guys were out, just like Ashton and Mila did last episode. Prudish me turned the channel when the guys were sent into the audience to collect dollars by stripper dancing. Supposedly, the one who got the most money won something, but that was left out of last night’s episode. I was uncomfortable with the men having to stripper dance on public teevee and didn’t want to see it, but I guess that just means I’m old.

I’m not getting the problem all the guys seem to have with whatever his name is. But yeah, all you whiners are going home soon because they obviously have never watched a season of this show. So is Tickle Monster since TPTB chose to not give him a real occupation, so he’s just filler too.

Riding the horses into BH Rodeo Drive shops was all kinds of stupid, but whatever. What I want to know is, why do we get close-ups of Survivor/Fear Factor people eating bugs and grubs and intestines and animal brains yet horse poop, which looks the same as a bunch of big Milk Duds spilled on the floor, gets blurred out? TPTB are trying to protect the innocent eyes that watch THIS show? Please!

• Love 15
2 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

I think it was based off the four guys Rachel met at the AFR. Of those four, she might have told them Eric was her favorite. 

That makes sense. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, backformore said:

Yes, and keep in mind that Blake said something like "i used to live with his ex-girlfriend."  the two of them were on a (WB?) show called Ex-Isle, where couples who are broken up go to extricate themselves from a previous relationship and meet someone new. (I'm guessing here, based on the ad I saw).

So, did BLake hook up with Lucas's ex? There's more to them being on the Bachelorette together than we've seen.  Blake seemed like he was playing a part, his entire "relationship"  with Rachel was about Lucas.  And Lucas?  Come on!  you don't go on a dating show with that wa-boom shit.  There's not a woman in the world who sees a guy do that and says, Yeah, he's the guy I want to marry.

Actually Lucas hooked up with Blake's Ex and both their Ex's were named Brittany I do believe.

1 hour ago, potatoradio said:

You know, show, there are plenty of parents out there who understand that, when starting to date or get to know someone, you can ease up on the "AREN'T MY KIDS JUST THE CUTEST, MOST ADORABLE PEOPLE YOU'VE EVER SEEN?? HUH? HUH? LOOK AT THIS PICTURE! LOOK AT THIS DRAWING! THEY ARE MENSA MEMBERS AND FULL GRANDE SUPREME PAGEANT WINNERS AND COOK AND CLEAN AND SING AND...YES, KEEP LOOKING AT THEM, DAMN IT!"

Don't forget that the little girls are always "eight going on eighteen."  I never know why the parents are always so proud of that.  Been letting them watch "R" rated movies?

35 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I can’t get past why Rachel “just can’t” with Fred because she remembers him as a freaking EIGHT YEAR OLD. WTHeck? And she never says why he was so “bad.” Every 8-year-old kid I know is “bad,” so what does that mean? There’s a different between putting-a-frog-in-your-bed bad and dealing-meth bad. Count your blessings you are home now, Fred, especially since Rachel was such a dick to you. Even YOU were 8 once, Rachel.

It makes you wonder if Rachel was one of those kids who voluntarily "took names," while the teacher was out of the room.  Wonder what little Fred did?  Tickle all the girls, wave his little butt in girl's faces, get mad and yell, pee in the pool?  Oh right. 

Why was Raven's face bright yellow? 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, wings707 said:

He said he kissed her. 

He did but he seemed to hesitate, I felt.

It's not disrespectful to say they thought of having sex with her considering the kind of show it is.  But that doesn't change the fact that it's possible it might have felt that way in the 20 seconds he had to decide.  

And we never got the follow up to that.  She certainly seemed comfortable being all over him from the 5 seconds we saw of their discussion.  

I admit a lot of my perspective comes from how I would probably act on a show like this.  And some of the things she has written about him from his hand shaking when he met her to  seeing how reserved he was dancing.

• Love 3
(edited)
12 hours ago, Superpole2000 said:

I thought the shirtless dancing on Ellen was tasteless, but apparently there is some mud wrestling coming up. Just because they are men doesn't mean they can be safely objectified without it being in poor taste. Go ahead and try this on The Bachelor, and we'll see just how much outrage it generates. I know, I know, don't watch this show and expect tasteful. I guess there is an in-between status that I would appreciate a lot more.

So many scenes in this week's episode were tasteless, I'm sure I'm about to leave one or two of them out.  The shirtless dancing, as you mentioned, the mud wrestling, the "have you ever" questions, the admission to peeing in the pool, the horse relieving himself in the store, the pole dancing, the twerking...enough already.  Is ABC trying to prove itself to be the most offensive network on TV?  And this show aired at 8 PM which is way too early for that kind of "entertainment."  Because of her background, profession, and faith I thought Rachel's season would be a bit classier than, say, a Kaitlyn season, but apparently I'm asking too much.

Edited by Dittohead
punctuation
  • Love 5

During Fred's 1-on-1, it was like watching a slow motion car wreck...

Fred: "I'm asking if it's okay..."

Me and my wife: "Noooooo... don't say it!!!"

Fred: "...for me to kiss..."

Me and my wife: "OMG, he's going to ask!!!"

Fred: "...you."

Me and my wife: "He's so gone!!!"

Fred and Rachel kiss...

Me and my wife: "Ohhhh, so awkward!!!"

• Love 6
2 hours ago, kira28 said:

Eric is way too immature. And he's 28 and never had a realtor been in love? I fell in love at age 16. And 19 and 24 etc. I can't imagine never having a serious relationship at 28!  He just seems so young as someone else mentioned "pouting under his hoodie" and just his manners are that of a, teen. 

Love your typo!  I don't know if my realtor has ever been in love but I assume so.  :^P

9 minutes ago, Dittohead said:

So many scenes in this week's episode were tasteless,

Since when has this show been tasteful? 

• Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

He did but he seemed to hesitate, I felt.

It's not disrespectful to say they thought of having sex with her considering the kind of show it is.  But that doesn't change the fact that it's possible it might have felt that way in the 20 seconds he had to decide.  

And we never got the follow up to that.  She certainly seemed comfortable being all over him from the 5 seconds we saw of their discussion.  

I admit a lot of my perspective comes from how I would probably act on a show like this.  And some of the things she has written about him from his hand shaking when he met her to  seeing how reserved he was dancing.

I agree with all you said.  He did hesitate.  He might have thought he was the only one and didn't want to expose her in some way.  His therapist told him to measure his thoughts and saying he had not thought about having sex with her was probably the result of taking that advice too far.  Of course he has.  He was nervous and not getting it that a woman wants you to have that thought! 

ETA.  It seems clear that he has committed with his heart too fast in the past.  He is taking things slowly on solid advice.  This is what we are seeing. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 5
(edited)
4 hours ago, PreviouslyTV said:

Rachel continues her arduous journey to find love with stripping, mud wrestling, and, mercifully, no whaboom-ing!

View the full article

I know it's probably not a good idea to criticize the podcast when I'm posting on their site but please, they keep getting things wrong. This is the third podcast that I keep finding the details incorrect. Because I don't want to be permanently banned from the site I'm only going to mention one. Bryan did not say Peter got his sloppy seconds. Peter didn't say a thing about kissing Rachel, it was Will that stated he kissed Rachel and Bryan was talking about Will.  

Edited by BaileyMae
  • Love 5

Well, if I learned anything at all this episode, it's that Blake did have a "little bit of Whaboom" in him after all. That furious "whaboom" he did (hair and arms flailing about) was quite the spectacle. 

• Love 13
4 hours ago, backformore said:

Yes, and keep in mind that Blake said something like "i used to live with his ex-girlfriend."  the two of them were on a (WB?) show called Ex-Isle, where couples who are broken up go to extricate themselves from a previous relationship and meet someone new. (I'm guessing here, based on the ad I saw).

So, did BLake hook up with Lucas's ex? There's more to them being on the Bachelorette together than we've seen.  Blake seemed like he was playing a part, his entire "relationship"  with Rachel was about Lucas.  And Lucas?  Come on!  you don't go on a dating show with that wa-boom shit.  There's not a woman in the world who sees a guy do that and says, Yeah, he's the guy I want to marry.

2 hours ago, BaileyMae said:

Actually Lucas hooked up with Blake's Ex and both their Ex's were named Brittany I do believe.

I recognized Lucas night one of this show from Ex Isle. I didn't--and still don't--remember Blake from that show. Are you sure he was a "main contestant"? The show had the core ex couples. Then there were a whole group of singles for the exes to hook up with. These singles didn't get much screen time unless they were hooking up with--or at least flirting with--the main contestant exes. Lucas's girlfriend was named Brittany, and he hooked up with ANOTHER Brittany (as well as a few more girls). But all of the hookup girls were from the singles pool. No exes hooked up with anyone else's exes. I may just not be recalling, but I would assume that Blake was in the singles pool. Brittany the ex may have befriended Blake, but I don't think she hooked up with him. She was WAY still hung up on Lucas. It was really rather pathetic. He would kick her out of their room (oh, the exes were forced to share a room) so he could sleep with one chick or another, and Brittany would just be waiting to come back in and try to get him back. They did hook up again by the end of the end of the show and decided to reconcile. I guess it didn't work out very well! Anyway, just based on what Lucas put Brittany through for a couple of weeks on the show, I would imagine that Blake would hate this guy like anyone would seeing their friend go through a tumultuous and dysfunctional relationship over and over and over again. For the record, there was no Whaaaboooming on that show. He was immature, but he wasn't nearly AS annoying then, and all of his hookups just made for good TV on that platform. I would bet anything someone who worked on that show came over to this show and said we need to cast this guy for Paradise. Being on this show was simply a prerequisite stopover. But I think the whaaaaboooming just sabotaged himself. He's not going to get as many hookups on this show. No spoiler on Lucas in Paradise--purely speculation on my part.

• Love 5

It was pretty cruel to pick up the rose as if she was going to give it to Fred but then make him go home. He was probably the most sincere guy she had considering he liked her before she was the bachelorette. She didn't have feelings for him so she should have let home go, however, she shouldn't have done it in that manner. She made him think he was getting the date rose. That's just not nice. 

• Love 11

Watching Lucas do his "whhhhhhaaaaboooooooo" crap and shake his face uncontrollably make me think of Jim Carey and all the faces and sounds he used to make.  I think Lucas sees himself as the next Jim Carey and is trying to make this his thing.  pfffttt he is so annoying.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, tvguru94 said:

I assume it was dictated by the producers to create more drama. Maybe I'm giving Rachel too much credit, but it doesn't seem like something she'd do on her own.

On this one I think there is only so much slack you can give Rachel.  I'm sure there are a lot of producer driven stuff (like keeping whaboom for a couple of weeks) but that is different.  This was deliberately cruel.  If they told her to do it she could have said no way.  She can't claim to be so above board and then be so cruel to someone she knows really cares about her.  

• Love 11
(edited)

It wasn't nice about the rose thing with Fred but I had more of a problem when she threw Lee and Bryce under the bus during her chat with Eric. At that point in time, Lee or Bryce had not tattle on Eric. They just answered Raven's question asked to them. But she threw out Lee and Bryce name to Eric as if these two guys have been shit-talking Eric all along for not being there for the right seasons. In fact, what Raven asked both of them was something along the line of who is the least compatible with Rachel. I don't know why I am getting worked up about this but I hate it when some things said in "confidence" are used to stir shit. And in this case, the lead, Rachel, is the shit stirrer.

Rachel better not be whining about how she doesn't want any drama because she is actually the cause of it.

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 20

I too thought it was very cruel for Rachel to carry the rose with her while sending Fred home.  WTF was the point of doing that?!  It screamed Unreal producer shadiness to me.  And speaking of that......is riding a horse on Rodeo Dr. really a thing???   What?!   And then riding them into stores?  IDK.....    Oh and can we have Ellen on every season??  That had to be the funniest group date ever!  

• Love 5

When it was revealed that Rachel and Anthony would be riding horses on Rodeo Drive, was anyone else hoping for a Pretty Woman style "you can't shop here" scene? Just me?

There is too much man-drama for me this season. We're barely rid of Whaboom and Little Drummer Boy when there's already a new feud between Eric and Lee. BTW, I would have eliminated Lee immediately before he's even said or tweeted a word based on his hairstyle alone.

I really wanted to like Kenny, but I just can't with the pictures from the daddy-daughter dance. He can't be that clueless, can he?

The male model who talked about boogers should never speak again.

• Love 12
4 hours ago, Dittohead said:

So many scenes in this week's episode were tasteless, I'm sure I'm about to leave one or two of them out.  The shirtless dancing, as you mentioned, the mud wrestling, the "have you ever" questions, the admission to peeing in the pool, the horse relieving himself in the store, the pole dancing, the twerking...enough already.  Is ABC trying to prove itself to be the most offensive network on TV?  And this show aired at 8 PM which is way too early for that kind of "entertainment."  Because of her background, profession, and faith I thought Rachel's season would be a bit classier than, say, a Kaitlyn season, but apparently I'm asking too much.

Yes, this is the narrative I was fed to get me to watch.  Rachel is smarter, it is going to be classier, a more professional group of men....better dates.....blah blah.   Then I am listening to show me your junk, are you thinking about having sex with her,  let me see your butt , etc.  

I have my suspicions about why people thought Rachel would be so "different," but they need to realize that she agreed to join an established franchise with a formula that works for them.  No way were they going to stray away from that, and she agreed to play the part to get what she wants out of it. 

• Love 10

I'm still all 'Be still my heart!' around scenes involving Peter, and 'Hello, baby!' when Dean smiles, but the others I pegged as great contenders at the start have all acted liked dicks or a bunch of dead leeks.

I didn't like Eric from the moment he got out of the limo, and can no longer remember why, but the sight of him with his unfortunate lightbulb-shaped shaved head looking like it is about to explode with rage is pretty funny.

I think Peter is a reserved kind of guy, but I also noted one hand in his pocket during the fireworks makeout, which either means he's not that invested in the embrace or in his head he's very self-conscious he's being filmed and is falling back into modelling catalogue poses while kissing the lead... Hmmm.

Had high hopes for Josiah, but went off him during cocky aggro in the first pre-rose ceremony cocktail party... Will seems vaguely okay. I like Anthony, but he's a bit shy or else dull, I'm thinking a really nice guy who is shy. I cannot stand all the lookalikes with dark brown hair and a bit of a beard thing going on - so  that's most of the guys, including Alex - especially Bryan the slurpy-kissing chiropractor.

Can't stand Diggy purely because he owns 574 pairs of sneakers and bragged about it. Kenny, I dated a guy who was like that about his daughter, and the reality turned out he had her for the odd weekend, where he left all the 'childcare' and entertainment to me, and there was no food in the cupboard, so I had to buy the groceries, etc etc.

Someone's going to have to stealth it up from the bottom of the edit, I guess. Jack, the dark-haired lawyer seemed okay at the start, I dunno.

One bit of goods news was, it must have been that shiny red lipstick that was causing all the mouth wiping rather than Rachel's poor technique, as we were spared that this ep. Phew... 

I am still holding out high hopes for a big romance with Peter... (Sad face.) 

• Love 8
(edited)

I find myself really liking several of the guys.  

Peter is one of them, and I did think that he wasn't that into her last week.  However, this week I felt showed him differently.  I think he may be into her, but I also think he really is a gentleman.  He didn't speak out about kissing Rachel when the other two blurted it out.  And I think that's why he looked reluctant to tell the truth during Never Have I Ever.  I could see his mind racing because he probably doesn't think it's gentlemanly to kiss and tell but then quickly realized that if he lied, Rachel would obviously know and wonder why he didn't tell the truth.

As for the naked selfie, he kind of hesitated on that too if I'm not mistaken.  But he didn't name any name and the only person he called out was himself.  So no worries.  The question would have been entirely different if Ellen asked if they had ever RECEIVED naked selfies from someone.  I bet he would have lied and said he hadn't if that question had been asked.

On the couch when Rachel was on top of him, I thought he seemed way more comfortable with her than he did last week...it's like he is allowing himself to open up a little bit.  And his kissing her at that time seemed much more reciprocal.  I thought he was into it as much as she was this week. 

Didn't like Eric.  He was too cray cray for my taste with all that blustering and yelling and get your name out my mouth.  I've actually said that (cringe) and I think it's much more effective when said once with sufficient menace. lol

I also really dislike people who pee in bodies of water, but I just couldn't help loving everything else about Alex.  Even the purple pants.  

Still really loving and admiring Rachel, but totally agree that it was fucked up to pick up that rose when asking "Frederick" to walk outside with her.  

Edited by JenMcSnark
Because yellow isn't yelling.
  • Love 8
14 minutes ago, violet and green said:

I'm still all 'Be still my heart!' around scenes involving Peter, and 'Hello, baby!' when Dean smiles, but the others I pegged as great contenders at the start have all acted liked dicks or a bunch of dead leeks.

I didn't like Eric from the moment he got out of the limo, and can no longer remember why, but the sight of him with his unfortunate lightbulb-shaped shaved head looking like it is about to explode with rage is pretty funny.

I think Peter is a reserved kind of guy, but I also noted one hand in his pocket during the fireworks makeout, which either means he's not that invested in the embrace or in his head he's very self-conscious he's being filmed and is falling back into modelling catalogue poses while kissing the lead... Hmmm.

Had high hopes for Josiah, but went off him during cocky aggro in the first pre-rose ceremony cocktail party... Will seems vaguely okay. I like Anthony, but he's a bit shy or else dull, I'm thinking a really nice guy who is shy. I cannot stand all the lookalikes with dark brown hair and a bit of a beard thing going on - so  that's most of the guys, including Alex - especially Bryan the slurpy-kissing chiropractor.

Can't stand Diggy purely because he owns 574 pairs of sneakers and bragged about it. Kenny, I dated a guy who was like that about his daughter, and the reality turned out he had her for the odd weekend, where he left all the 'childcare' and entertainment to me, and there was no food in the cupboard, so I had to buy the groceries, etc etc.

Someone's going to have to stealth it up from the bottom of the edit, I guess. Jack, the dark-haired lawyer seemed okay at the start, I dunno.

One bit of goods news was, it must have been that shiny red lipstick that was causing all the mouth wiping rather than Rachel's poor technique, as we were spared that this ep. Phew... 

I am still holding out high hopes for a big romance with Peter... (Sad face.) 

You pretty much summed up a lot of how I feel about each guy, especially Diggy and Eric. 

• Love 1

Don't you think the producers make the Bachelor/ette take the rose with them even if they're going to dump the person so it's not obvious they are dumping them? It's not a nice thing to do, but it happens every time. I can't imagine that the Bach/ette is the one who decides to do it every time. 

• Love 7
1 minute ago, jackjill89 said:

Don't you think the producers make the Bachelor/ette take the rose with them even if they're going to dump the person so it's not obvious they are dumping them? It's not a nice thing to do, but it happens every time. I can't imagine that the Bach/ette is the one who decides to do it every time. 

Yes. The lead does it every time. I can't imagine every lead is a sadist, so it must be producer directed and insisted upon.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, violet and green said:

Hopefully he won't take any tips from Brady. "I wanna kiss her but the camera's right there, oh god, okay you can do this Peter, just lean in, tilt your head, and... roll the booger." 

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, alannaofdoom said:

Hopefully he won't take any tips from Brady. "I wanna kiss her but the camera's right there, oh god, okay you can do this Peter, just lean in, tilt your head, and... roll the booger." 

Way to kill the potential of romance, The Booger Roll....

She had him repeat it several times to be sure he'd actually said what he thought he'd said. Unbelievable. I guess they're all nervous, but that was a bad moment.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, violet and green said:

Yes. The lead does it every time. I can't imagine every lead is a sadist, so it must be producer directed and insisted upon.

They do it on one-on-one dates when they opt not to give that person the rose, but I've never seen it done on a group date like that. That was uncalled for - I don't know what "bad" things Fred did to Rachel as a child, but he seemed like a perfectly nice adult.

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, violet and green said:

She had him repeat it several times to be sure he'd actually said what he thought he'd said. Unbelievable. I guess they're all nervous, but that was a bad moment.

I feel like he was going for a "smell the fart rule of soap opera acting" moment but it....didn't work. How she reacts to moments like this is really telling about how she feels about the guys.  She's pretty polite but it's telling how she dealt with Kenny stripping or Dean's "black and never go back" comment vs. the booger moment. Had Peter, another model but one she's actually interested in, busted out that move, I suspect she would have laughed quite a bit.

• Love 5
47 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

They do it on one-on-one dates when they opt not to give that person the rose, but I've never seen it done on a group date like that. That was uncalled for - I don't know what "bad" things Fred did to Rachel as a child, but he seemed like a perfectly nice adult.

I've seen it done on a  group date like that. Within the last couple of years, also. Can't recall who or when though! Nick, maybe. And/or JoJo. Whoever sent home the girl who was wearing the diaperlike short "playsuit".  In fact I have never seen someone getting the boot in that situation, without the lead carrying the rose at the same time.

• Love 1

For some strange reason, I thought I was going to enjoy this season.  Aside from Blake and Lucas, I thought she had a nice group of guys and she seemed classier than most.  Color me surprised when she pulled that rose shit with Fred.  Also annoying that she threw out names when talking to Eric about what was going on with the guys.  I realize, of course, that there is a lot of producer maneuvering and game playing, but to my disappointment, this season, doesn’t look like it is going to be any different from the prior ones. 

Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.  Fool me season after season, I need some god damn therapy.    

• Love 7
12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I saw that episode of Ellen, and remember being grossed by the “he got my sloppy seconds” kissing comment. I loved Ellen being able to immediately say which guys were out, just like Ashton and Mila did last episode. Prudish me turned the channel when the guys were sent into the audience to collect dollars by stripper dancing. Supposedly, the one who got the most money won something, but that was left out of last night’s episode. I was uncomfortable with the men having to stripper dance on public teevee and didn’t want to see it, but I guess that just means I’m old.

I guess I"m old too.  I was expecting the show to be a little more classy this season, I guess.  I don't see how watching guys stripper dance on strangers, or wrestle each other in mud, can help a woman decide which guy she is interested in enough to marry. 

And, I'd love to see a season where the lead isn't making out with everyone so soon.  I hate the whole "did you kiss her yet?"  conversations among the guys.  It makes me think, if it wasn't a TV show, and two guys were dating the same girl, it would be gross for them to ask that kind of question.

• Love 9
19 hours ago, kira28 said:

Eric is way too immature. And he's 28 and never had a realtor been in love? I fell in love at age 16. And 19 and 24 etc. I can't imagine never having a serious relationship at 28!  He just seems so young as someone else mentioned "pouting under his hoodie" and just his manners are that of a, teen. 

*shrug* I'll be 30 in a few months, and my current relationship, which I've been in for a year and a half, is the first time I've been in love. Some people are late bloomers!

16 hours ago, Dittohead said:

I understand that everyone has varying definitions of taste and appropriateness, but, at its core, this franchise has always been about one person dating dozens of other people at the same time. Not really much taste in that when you think about it! Frankly, considering the constant objectification of women in the media and on TV for decades, I'm all about some gratuitous male shirtlessness and dancing. Viva le female gaze! ;)

• Love 12
(edited)
9 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I agree. I've never seen it done that way on a group date. I'm sensitive to these types of things so I know I would have noticed unless I missed the episode altogether. Even if jojo did the same, that doesn't make it right. Usually, at the end group dates, the men are sitting around the table that the rose is on. The lead comes in and picks up the rose and and calls the man she wants to give it to. She doesn't pick up the rose and call a man she wants to give the boot to. There haven't been very many group date eliminations. I don't remember any actually. That doesn't mean nobody has ever been eliminated on a group date. Im just saying, it's rare. Nick was the one who eliminated people left and right at any given time. I don't remember it happening much before his season. And even Nick didn't bring a rose to the the breakup. Rachel made it a point to enter the room, pick up the rose, smile at Fred and call him out of the room as if she was going to give it to him. Even the other men thought he was getting the rose. If the producers told her to do that, she could have refused and she could have eliminated him at the ceremony. I can't give her a pass for that and I can't blame the producers. 

Rachael did seem to really dislike Frederick. I'm sure he was a mischeeeeveeeeeus kid but a lot of men were. I feel like she was sort of rude to him on a regular basis. I understand not feeling romantic about someone you practically babysat for but he had real feelings for her so she should have handled him with more care and respect. 

Edited by Nowhere
  • Love 11
29 minutes ago, Nowhere said:

I agree. I've never seen it done that way on a group date. I'm sensitive to these types of things so I know I would have noticed unless I missed the episode altogether. Even if jojo did the same, that doesn't make it right. Usually, at the end group dates, the men are sitting around the table that the rose is on. The lead comes in and picks up the rose and and calls the man she wants to give it to. She doesn't pick up the rose and call a man she wants to give the boot to. There haven't been very many group date eliminations. I don't remember any actually. That doesn't mean nobody has ever been eliminated on a group date. Im just saying, it's rare. Nick was the one who eliminated people left and right at any given time. I don't remember it happening much before his season. And even Nick didn't bring a rose to the the breakup. Rachel made it a point to enter the room, pick up the rose, smile at Fred and call him out of the room as if she was going to give it to him. Even the other men thought he was getting the rose. If the producers told her to do that, she could have refused and she could have eliminated him at the ceremony. I can't give her a pass for that and I can't blame the producers. 

Rachael did seem to really dislike Frederick. I'm sure he was a mischeeeeveeeeeus kid but a lot of men were. I feel like she was sort of rude to him on a regular basis. I understand not feeling romantic about someone you practically babysat for but he had real feelings for her so she should have handled him with more care and respect. 

It happens, but it's usually WHILE the contestant and lead are having their 1:1 time during the course of the group date that the contestant says/does something so engregious that the lead is like, yeah, this isn't going to work out. Or, something happens between the contestants while the lead is offscreen with someone and the lead finds out and says, you need to go. If it happens during the group date, it is almost always because the lead wants them to go NOW, but occasionally it's been I think your feelings are stronger than mine and I don't want to put you though waiting until the rose ceremony. I guess Freddy fit in that latter category. But I've never understood that strategy because it's really SO much more embarrassing to be sent home on the date than during the RC. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, backformore said:

I guess I"m old too.  I was expecting the show to be a little more classy this season, I guess.  I don't see how watching guys stripper dance on strangers, or wrestle each other in mud, can help a woman decide which guy she is interested in enough to marry. 

And, I'd love to see a season where the lead isn't making out with everyone so soon.  I hate the whole "did you kiss her yet?"  conversations among the guys.  It makes me think, if it wasn't a TV show, and two guys were dating the same girl, it would be gross for them to ask that kind of question.

Yes, Rachel and the guys have surprised me by encouraging all of this Spring Break/bachelorette party behaviour. Rachel was one step away from jumping into that mud pit with the guys and stuffing bills down their pants on Ellen. The guys themselves didn't seem shy about these activities either. The producers could arrange a segment next week where Rachel unzips the guys' pants and measures their private parts, and now I'd fully expect everyone to be perfectly content with it.

I'm not sure if the guys know what to do, because every signal they are getting is that aggressive, immature(?) behaviour gets the lead's attention. Or maybe I'm just that weird guy who prefers to talk with women at parties instead of ripping my clothes off, grinding up on them, and throwing my tongue down their throat.

• Love 8
(edited)
9 hours ago, violet and green said:

Whoever sent home the girl who was wearing the diaperlike short "playsuit".

I think you're referring to Liz from Nick's season a.k.a. "sex at Jade and Tanner's wedding". But Nick didn't have the rose. It was during their one on one time and in the course of the conversation he decided it was best she leave and walked her out. But I do agree that I'm sure the producers encourage the leads to pick up the rose when they're about to dump someone for maximum dramatic effect.

I understand that everyone has varying definitions of taste and appropriateness, but, at its core, this franchise has always been about one person dating dozens of other people at the same time. Not really much taste in that when you think about it!

Exactly. This whole franchise is inherently icky and always has been and why I am always amused when some insist this lead is classier than others or will be so much better than this one. Inevitably, we get to the point of the season where all the gushing over the lead fades and they start getting criticized for a lot of the same things that happens almost every season. I have to say I'm a little surprised at how quickly the shift is happening with some. 

It's also why I was slightly amused at all the hand-wringing over perfect Rachel being manipulated by the evil producers. Saint Rachel in my opinion is a lot savvier than some seem to realize. This season was never going to be any different than any other season. There will be the clowns like Lucas, there will be a lot of manipulated and edited drama, the lead will make out with multiple people and go into the Fantasy Suite with multiple people (what happens there, that's their business) and will declare they are torn between two people and then pick someone. Rinse, lather and repeat. 

I do think Rachel is a good lead, based on her ability to carry a conversation. I do think she's shown how witty and easily she can think on her feet and she likes a good joke. Her chemistry so far with the guys is just okay. For the ones she's really into, in my opinion Peter, Bryan and Dean - with Peter, I still get a she's more into him than he's into her vibe, there's definitely heat between her and Bryan but his kissing technique bugs me and they haven't shown that there's anything more than making out between them. Her and Dean are adorable but he comes across as his age with her. As the expression goes, I definitely feel like she's too much woman for him. 

eta: I hope that woman who yelled out the "show me your junk" felt sufficiently embarrassed when this aired because the whole thing was edited so awkwardly. They made it seem like there was a crickets chirping/awkward silent moment that followed after she said it. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, jackjill89 said:

I don't think Fred even noticed, at that point, I doubt he cared.

• Love 1

Oh my God, five guys stripping and dancing in the audience? A Chippendales performance? Mud wrestling? This is the best Bachelorette episode ever!

WILL! Who is he? Why don’t I remember him? Wow! #1 for those moves and that face.

Peter is hot- he’s got that reserved confidence and appeal. He didn’t feel the need to jump in and mention he’d kissed Rachel when the other two did (speaking of, shut up, Bryan, you dick). Also there was a brief shot of him dancing in the audience surrounded by women and he just looked smooth.

Alex is everything fun that I love about Europeans. (Is he actually from Russia?) The totally uninhibited hip thrusting, the flashy pants, straightforward and honest communication without taking himself seriously. I’m not attracted to him (unless he's dancing), but I like him.

KENNY YES. Finally breaking out of the rut of conversation about his daughter and pulling out that striptease. The shirt rip. The wrestling moves. Love it.

Dean with that smile. I wish he wasn’t so young (but hey, closer to my age than Rachel’s, I’ll take it).

Also, about to lose all of you here (please don't throw things), but… there’s something hot about Lee (and yes, I know about the tweets and that is why I’m ashamed of this). He’s got this sharp cunningness about him and seems like he’d be cutthroat when it comes down to things. The way he sizes up situations while sipping on his whiskey does something for me. Sorry! I’m sure this feeling is going to go away as the season progresses. I mean, I hope so.

Diggy is so cute. I genuinely punched the air when she called his name at the rose ceremony. THAT was the most shocking final rose ever. On any other season, you know the producers would have made her keep either Lucas (refuse to use his stupid catchphrase) or keto diet asshole, but I imagine Rachel’s conversation with Chris Harrison about the situation went something like her one with Demario.

I definitely wouldn’t be bringing in my scantily clad girlfriends to size up which of my dudes they’ll be sleeping with on Paradise.

As for Fred, I’ve asked permission before kissing guys, nothing wrong with that, but you have to do it in a cute way, not fumble over words, especially when she’s been remembering you as a kid the whole time already. Poor guy though. He was sweet.

Eric is either drunk most of the time or not all that bright.

Umm hm. What else. That’s all I’ve got. The men get all my attention this week. I haven’t been this envious of a bachelorette since Emily (not that ANY of these guys are Jef or Ari, don’t get me wrong).

• Love 11
13 hours ago, violet and green said:

Kenny, I dated a guy who was like that about his daughter, and the reality turned out he had her for the odd weekend, where he left all the 'childcare' and entertainment to me, and there was no food in the cupboard, so I had to buy the groceries, etc etc.

I dated a similar guy.  He  not only rarely saw his daughter, after a while I figured out that he only went to see her when she would have a gift for him, Christmas, Father's Day, and his birthday.  What a sad world it is  that some men, like Kenny, think it makes them seem especially wonderful that they care about their children.

• Love 8

Perfect Ben was on the latest podcast with Juliet Littman and he mentioned that the lead DO get a say on what the dates are like. For instance, when they went to Vegas on his season, the idea to do striptease lessons for the dates was sprung and Ben nixed that. Probably explains why Kaitlin had some of the worst group dates since she had no taste. Anyway, Rachel said that she hadn't seen the men shirtless and she wanted to see so she got her wish. She seems a bit of a horndog in a strong lawyer wrapping.

• Love 11
(edited)
22 hours ago, mostlylurking said:

Aside from a few duds (and that total douche Lee), this is the best group of guys I've seen in a long time (ever?).

I completely agree. There are several guys that I find attractive in looks, body, and/or personality.

I don't care, I love this season. This show is so fun imo. I laugh more during it than I do most of the comedies I watch.

Dean was barely seen in this ep but he continues to be adorable. He's like a puppy! His faces during the entire lead up to mud wrestling were just about the cutest things I've ever seen.

I liked Alex when I first saw his pic back when some of the guys were spoiled and getting to know him I am falling in love tbh. He's so cute and funny and hot and smart and quirky. 

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 6
On 6/6/2017 at 6:41 AM, waving feather said:

So a few thoughts:

Eric is not a bad guy, but he is too immature and emotional to handle any conflict thrown his way. He argues with people like he is 12 arguing with his siblings. So he played right into Lee's hands. Lee is sneaky and knows how to rile people up. That dude is something else. Aesthetically, I actually find him to be quite attractive. Too bad he is sort of a sociopath.

I like Bryan's reactions to awkward situations. Initially, I thought he is kind of smarmy but he seems to be one of the less pretentious men in the house. Bryce actually seems like a genuine dude as well. He knows how to talk Eric down from his blow-ups. Peter seems like a nice dude but I have seen little personality.

Poor sweet Freddy, but I knew he was going to be sent home when he fell way too deep and too fast for Rach. I am surprised Rachel gave the rose to Anthony. They have zero chemistry.

Eric lists his profession as motivational speaker.   He graduated magna cum laude from Hampton U in Va.  He wrote a book titled 100 Days of Wisdom.  It is available on amazon.  WTF?   The book is not brilliant to say the least and he is not acting with any of the wisdom he spouts.  I am guessing the book was a college assignment and Hampton U has no grammar requirements.  

• Love 4
18 hours ago, Koala said:

Well, if I learned anything at all this episode, it's that Blake did have a "little bit of Whaboom" in him after all. That furious "whaboom" he did (hair and arms flailing about) was quite the spectacle. 

I re-watched it in slow motion and it was captivating, not least because his hair fell perfectly back into place post-whaboom.

• Love 4
(edited)
4 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Eric lists his profession as motivational speaker.   He graduated magna cum laude from Hampton U in Va.  He wrote a book titled 100 Days of Wisdom.  It is available on amazon.  WTF?   The book is not brilliant to say the least and he is not acting with any of the wisdom he spouts.  I am guessing the book was a college assignment and Hampton U has no grammar requirements.  

I checked it out.  It was self-published.  (Lots of good books are, but this one...)

"Every day is a new life to a wise one and wisdom is needed to move forward. In this piece of work, you will have daily quotes to connect to for the greater good of yourself and life in general. Inspired words have a way of serving you through good and down times."

Edited by DEL901
  • Love 3