Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E03: Week 3: Ellen DeGeneres & More

• Start Topic

I was disappointed that Alex didn't wear that Ellen suit. Kris Bryant recently wore the suit that Ellen gave him recently and it was the most awesome thing.

• Love 1

So a few thoughts:

Eric is not a bad guy, but he is too immature and emotional to handle any conflict thrown his way. He argues with people like he is 12 arguing with his siblings. So he played right into Lee's hands. Lee is sneaky and knows how to rile people up. That dude is something else. Aesthetically, I actually find him to be quite attractive. Too bad he is sort of a sociopath.

I like Bryan's reactions to awkward situations. Initially, I thought he is kind of smarmy but he seems to be one of the less pretentious men in the house. Bryce actually seems like a genuine dude as well. He knows how to talk Eric down from his blow-ups. Peter seems like a nice dude but I have seen little personality.

Poor sweet Freddy, but I knew he was going to be sent home when he fell way too deep and too fast for Rach. I am surprised Rachel gave the rose to Anthony. They have zero chemistry.

• Love 12

I thought Peter had gone home, there was so little focus on him this episode. He's not dynamic imo. 

Could we just have a whole show of Anthony on a horse? 

I think Lucas, Blake, and Fred were one-note storyline plants and I'm glad they are gone.

Eric didn't realize he was going to be the one the rest of the herd decided to cull. He must really have been a threat for four of the other guys to individually bring him up to Rachel or her "friends" in a bad light. It didn't seem like Show set him up,  to me. Then he played right into it. Group dynamics are the best!

Demaurio's dramatic return (because his driver told him to go after her!! Because the drivers secretly run everything!) was so obviously scripted. And her "if you'd only been honest with me in the gym" was a little self-righteously bogus--I think I used that approach back in the day.

I wish we'd seen more previews than just Eric melting down further at the cocktail party. Actually I really wish we had just seen a rose ceremony at the end.... 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, dom16 said:

Peter spent the entire day on a date with her, made out with her under fireworks, and still hasn't thought about having sex with her? I've thought about having sex with hot strangers I've made eye contact with on public transport whom I know damn well I'm never going to see again! He's just not that into her, but I think he's trying really hard to convince himself that he is.

I think people are making too big of a deal of him saying he never thought about having sex with her. There's two types of guys on this show. The disrespectful, trying to get famous for acting like an idiot people, and the respectful trying to be the next bachelor people. He definitely falls under the respectful type and he prob didn't want to come off like a douche by saying he thought of having sex with her.

• Love 14
Just now, Jaclyn88 said:

I think people are making too big of a deal of him saying he never thought about having sex with her. There's two types of guys on this show. The disrespectful, trying to get famous for acting like an idiot people, and the respectful trying to be the next bachelor people. He definitely falls under the respectful type and he prob didn't want to come off like a douche by saying he thought of having sex with her.

Yeah that's a likely possibility many have thrown out but then he admitted to sending nude selfies. It just goes to show what society now thinks is perfectly normal. Because in my book, I'm less bothered by a guy admitting he's thought about having sex with a woman he's dating (yes, let's ignore the fact that he's dating her along with many other men in a brief amount of time) because really that to me is almost a physiological thing versus his sending nude selfies. I noticed he and others clarified that it was to someone they were dating at the time but personally I've always found the nude texting/selfies slightly cheesy myself. So it's just funny to me that he would say no to thinking about having sex with a woman he's presumably attracted to but readily admit to sending nude pics. 

• Love 5

I like Kenny, I really do.  However, I think that he thinks he's winning points with Rachel by showing how much of a loving father he is (and, for sure, that's a good quality) but I don't think he realizes how much of a turn off it is for him to keep bringing the daughter discussion up.   If I knew him and we went on a couple of dates and his conversations centered mainly on his daughter, I would have to stop seeing him.  

I thought that Rachel got a little too self-righteous with DeMario over his mishandling of the ex-girlfriend situation.  However, I realize that the over-the-topness was mainly for the cameras.

• Love 11

It looked like there were a few times Peter thought about lying so we don't know if that was the truth, the kissing question was one of them. I think that he took the sex question as Ellen intended and was being a "gentleman". Or maybe he is just not into Rachel. 

A moment of silence for the loss of all those precious gap-toothed children that will never be, please.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I like Kenny, I really do.  However, I think that he thinks he's winning points with Rachel by showing how much of a loving father he is (and, for sure, that's a good quality) but I don't think he realizes how much of a turn off it is for him to keep bringing the daughter discussion up.   If I knew him and we went on a couple of dates and his conversations centered mainly on his daughter, I would have to stop seeing him.  

I agree but I think all fathers and mothers on the show play the kid card way too much. However, Kenny won by unwavering devotion by whispering "Lee . . . you're a little bitch!" in the previews.

• Love 17
3 minutes ago, wonald said:

I agree but I think all fathers and mothers on the show play the kid card way too much.

Oh I agree.  

4 minutes ago, wonald said:

However, Kenny won by unwavering devotion by whispering "Lee . . . you're a little bitch!" in the previews.

I missed that in the previews.  Can't wait to see that!

• Love 3
4 hours ago, dom16 said:

Peter spent the entire day on a date with her, made out with her under fireworks, and still hasn't thought about having sex with her? I've thought about having sex with hot strangers I've made eye contact with on public transport whom I know damn well I'm never going to see again! He's just not that into her, but I think he's trying really hard to convince himself that he is.

As another poster pointed out above, he also seemed about to lie about the kissing question even though we know he kissed her.  That added some nuance, IMO, to how he answered that question.

23 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Yeah that's a likely possibility many have thrown out but then he admitted to sending nude selfies. It just goes to show what society now thinks is perfectly normal. Because in my book, I'm less bothered by a guy admitting he's thought about having sex with a woman he's dating (yes, let's ignore the fact that he's dating her along with many other men in a brief amount of time) because really that to me is almost a physiological thing versus his sending nude selfies.

But selfies only involve self so if he's thinking about the "gentlemanly" thing to do, I can see why he'd be more hesitant to answering things involving Rachel, like kissing and sex fantasies, than something he actually got paid to do. (Not that he was paid to send nude selfies but models are asked to take revealing photos in a state of undress where he probably had even fewer clothes on when the pictures were taken.)

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, Mondayeve said:

It is a little weird - no to thinking about sex with a woman you made out with but down with nude selfies.   ????  Not judging though. 

Seriously. And the shot of them hugging/cuddling during the night portion of the group date showed Rachel all gushy going, "I'm not getting up". Maybe Peter is really just this reserved, super gentleman guy who is just so careful of not saying anything that seems the slightest bit disrespectful and I've read him all wrong. But since this show is heavily edited and I don't know any of these people personally, all I can go on is gut feeling and my gut feeling says Peter is just not as into Rachel as she seems into him. I'll gladly accept if I'm wrong. I don't think he's a bad person and I actually do think he probably is a nice guy. Like I said last week, I'm just starting to get a Des/Brooks type feeling with them. 

Perhaps that is the edit of Peter that they are going for to make Rachel's final decision easier for her.  The "I am so attracted to him but he doesn't feel the same way, so he is not the one for me." 

I don't really get why it's disrespectful of them to admit they have thought about having sex with Rachel. Isn't it the point of this show? It ends with a "fantasy suite" after all. This is a raunchy dating show. It's not a professional work environment where that kind of thing is forbidden.

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, waving feather said:

I don't really get why it's disrespectful of them to admit they have thought about having sex with Rachel. Isn't it the point of this show? It ends with a "fantasy suite" after all. This is a raunchy dating show. It's not a professional work environment where that kind of thing is forbidden.

Yeah, it doesn't make sense to me either but people don't make sense often. I am just going by Ellen's lead and she is the one asking the questions. She said that Alex and Peter were the "gentlemen". She didn't say "You shouldn't have said that" like she did with Bryan's "sloppy seconds" or "I don't like that" like she did with the Tickle Monster.

• Love 5
(edited)

A good marriage is made better by a healthy sex life for many, many people. Someone who likes to kiss as much as Rachel does probably is one of those people. Peter might not be. Don't pick Peter, Rachel. 

Edited by MakeMeLaugh
  • Love 1

I knew the bad boy who had a crush on Rachel since childhood was a goner when he asked her if he could kiss her.  If you have to ask you aint ready dude......Plus seemed like the only reason he asked was cause he realized several of the other guys had already kissed her.  That kiss was awful.      

• Love 8

I thought it was a pretty decent episode!   I loved how Ellen was quick to say that she didn't like the tickling bit during the limo entrances and then went into the aggressive tickle when she met Jonathon. (I think that is his real name).    I felt bad for Fred but she did the right thing by sending him home now instead of later.    Will is quickly becoming my new favorite!   Will for Bachelor!   The less that is said about the fake feud between Lucas and Blake the better although I did raise an eyebrow when Lucas mentioned that it was a sad day in paradise because we all know that was his main intention on being on the show.  

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

As another poster pointed out above, he also seemed about to lie about the kissing question even though we know he kissed her.  That added some nuance, IMO, to how he answered that question.

He said he kissed her. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, clubsauce said:

Asking Fred to go talk as she picks up the group date rose seemed especially cruel, even for this show.

I thought so, too.  And then she told Eric the names of the people who had dissed him.  I've really liked Rachel and her obvious smarts and quickness on her feet, but these two incidents took a little of the bloom off the rose for me, so to speak.

• Love 19
(edited)
17 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

I think Chokey a.k.a Jasmine, pegged Eric accurately when she said he's just too serious. I think that's what's happening with him and the guys in the house. He's just a little too intense and in his own head and so it led to his maybe saying a few things that didn't come out the way he wanted it to that led to the guys thinking he's not there for the right reasons. And the more they come at him, the more frustrated he gets, understandably, and it's making him act out and make it seem like they are right. 

Btw, anyone else surprised that to the question on Ellen about sending nudes, Peter said he had while Bryan said he never had? Go figure. Oh and Peter had a 1 on 1, which means he spent hours with Rachel, presumably there was a lot of making out and he says he never thought about having sex with her? Either he's lying because he was trying to be a gentleman which means he's thinking too much of what others will think or he's telling the truth and that just brings me back to my feeling last week watching their date that she seemed way more into him than he was into her.

(1) Eric is falling for Rachel and thus he's falling apart. The stress is getting to him. When Peter stated relationship therapy helped him be more "measured in his thoughts," this is where Eric is falling down and I had such high hopes for him. In something like this show,  controlling your thoughts and insecurities has to be and is an absolute or the guys will see you as weak and they will all go in for the kill.

(2) As for Peter and not thinking of having sex with Rachel, well, I'm not going to say he's lying but, didn't he state "you know if we have kids at some point, they're pretty much screwed?" Unless he was thinking about artificial insemination or IVF, of course he was "thinking about sex", that's obvious. Yet I still don't think he was lying. "Measured in my thoughts", is just that. Keeping the direct thought of making love to someone you're attracted to as far out of your mind as possible and controlling the possibility of falling too fast will keep him out of the trouble Eric's finding himself in right now. For me I would be doing the same thing. Looking toward a future but not getting too much into the details. LOL.

Edited by BaileyMae
corrected grammatic errors.
  • Love 13

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if she and DeMario had rehearsed that shit.  For example, it sounded to me like he fed her the "joy and pain" line so that she could shoot back at him.  Her quips were too on point.  

I'm kinda done with her and these guys.  Just give me Alex and Will and show me the door.  I would take Kenny but the daughter talk is too much.

• Love 4
56 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I thought that Rachel got a little too self-righteous with DeMario over his mishandling of the ex-girlfriend situation.  However, I realize that the over-the-topness was mainly for the cameras.

"I can't believe you have someone else on the backburner! Here I am, selflessly narrowing down my options to just 15-20 men, most of whom I am making out with whenever we can, while you have that one woman in the background like the selfish jerk that you are."

• Love 21
17 minutes ago, BaileyMae said:

(1) Eric is falling for Rachel and thus he's falling apart. The stress is getting to him. When Peter stated relationship therapy helped him be more "measured in his thoughts," this is where Eric is falling down and I had such high hopes for him. In something like this show,  controlling your thoughts and insecurities has to be is an absolute or the guys will see you as weak and they will all go in for the kill.

(2) As for Peter and not thinking of having sex with Rachel. Well, I'm not going to say he's lying but, didn't he state "you know if we have kids at some point, they're pretty much screwed?" Unless he was thinking about artificial insemination or IVF, of course he was "thinking about sex", that's obvious. Yet I still don't think he was lying. "Measured in my thoughts", is just that. Keeping the direct thought of making love to someone you're attracted as far out of your mind as possible and controlling the possibility of falling too fast will keep him out of the trouble Eric's finding himself right now. For me I would be doing the same thing. Looking toward a future but not getting to much into the details. LOL.

I agree with everything except I did not have high hopes for Eric, quite the opposite.  He is a kid who has a lot of maturing to do.  He has not had a love relationship so right there he is behind the 8 ball.  

• Love 4

I agree with others about how it seemed cruel of Rachel to pick up the rose and go dump Fred.  All of the others on the date interpreted that move as that Fred was going to receive the rose.  I really liked Fred and found him to be sincere.  But, I hated that she purposefully raised his hopes to only dash them.  I would love it if she had done that to Lucas and the other guy (way too many for me to remember their names at this point).  However, it did not appear that Fred did anything to warrant that cruelty.  He must have really been a bad boy when they were in kindergarten for her to intentionally do that to him...

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

I agree with others about how it seemed cruel of Rachel to pick up the rose and go dump Fred.  All of the others on the date interpreted that move as that Fred was going to receive the rose.  I really liked Fred and found him to be sincere.  But, I hated that she purposefully raised his hopes to only dash them.  I would love it if she had done that to Lucas and the other guy (way too many for me to remember their names at this point).  However, it did not appear that Fred did anything to warrant that cruelty.  He must have really been a bad boy when they were in kindergarten for her to intentionally do that to him...

I assume it was dictated by the producers to create more drama. Maybe I'm giving Rachel too much credit, but it doesn't seem like something she'd do on her own.

What was with those giant hands Jonathan had? These guys have a weird idea of what women think is funny.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, wonald said:

I agree but I think all fathers and mothers on the show play the kid card way too much. However, Kenny won by unwavering devotion by whispering "Lee . . . you're a little bitch!" in the previews.

Sorry, I'm just so done with Kenny. He even showed pics of his mother and daughter together. How does that make him more attractive for Rachel? Done, done and done.

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, tvguru94 said:

What was with those giant hands Jonathan had? These guys have a weird idea of what women think is funny.

I was wondering how the heck he got them there. Did he pay an airline extra baggage fee JUST for his giant hands suitcase?!

• Love 9
(edited)
1 hour ago, BaileyMae said:

(2) As for Peter and not thinking of having sex with Rachel. Well, I'm not going to say he's lying but, didn't he state "you know if we have kids at some point, they're pretty much screwed?" Unless he was thinking about artificial insemination or IVF, of course he was "thinking about sex", that's obvious. Yet I still don't think he was lying. "Measured in my thoughts", is just that. Keeping the direct thought of making love to someone you're attracted as far out of your mind as possible and controlling the possibility of falling too fast will keep him out of the trouble Eric's finding himself right now. For me I would be doing the same thing. Looking toward a future but not getting to much into the details. LOL.

This makes so much sense. You said it perfectly. I understand why some would think he's not that much into Rachel but I also think people are reading too much into it too soon. People fall in love in different ways and at different paces. Not every good relationship starts out with guns a blazing.  Let's just see how it develops. If down the road he's acting too reserved and closed up then yeah I'll agree he's not as invested as she is. Besides how invested can you be after 1 date? Time will tell.

Edited by yorklee2
  • Love 11
(edited)
17 minutes ago, tvguru94 said:

I assume it was dictated by the producers to create more drama. Maybe I'm giving Rachel too much credit, but it doesn't seem like something she'd do on her own.

Yeah I got that feeling too. She may have done it on her own but I don't trust these producers either.

And regarding Jonathan's giant hands she sure seemed to like it. She was going with it and having a good time. I can see that but at some point they would have to come off and and it would be time to get serious.

Edited by yorklee2
(edited)
4 minutes ago, JoBeth70 said:

I was thrown off by Raven's assertion that Eric was Rachel's favorite. Where did that come from? TPTB haven't chosen to show us that.

Well they are close friends so I assume Rachel told her? I didn't catch it myself but it could have been a slip up on both Raven and the TPTB part that it was revealed.

Edited by yorklee2

This episode of The Bachelorette was brought to you by: The Female Gaze! 

A+++ to Rachel for her look of utter disdain and boredom while DeMario was "apologizing." Also, LOL at them shaking hands. Ice cold! (And confidential to DeMario: you gotta stop interjecting "correct" every five words, my dude. Ears open, mouth closed.)

If this show doesn't have enough actual content for two hours, I'd rather they pad it with more gratuitous shirtlessness instead of dragging out the Rose Ceremony to a truly unbearable length. I know Bach gonna Bach so we're always gonna get some "[x] does not deserve a rose" commentary, but did we need to have that nonsense through THE ENTIRE thing tonight? She's calling out, what, eighteen names? And between EVERY SINGLE ONE we've got Lucas and Blake griping about each other. To say nothing of their continuing grudge match outside. If there's anything more boring and intolerable than two a-lot-to-very drunk white dudes yelling performatively at each other, I don't want to know what it is because it might literally kill me. 

Ellen date was fun, though Bryan lost points with me for "he got my sloppy seconds." Gross, dude. I need someone to explain Alex's pants to me. (OTOH I am deep into Peter's neutral-colored shawl collar sweater game.) And actually I found myself liking Alex quite a lot. There's a secret weirdo inside of you, sir! Let that freak flag fly. (But get a better haircut, friend.) 

I like a horse date but I really don't know about this one. Shopping for ugly boutique varsity jackets with BH on them from horseback just does not do it for me. Great boots though!

I loved everything about the mud wrestling, and I especially loved the talking heads with increasingly mud-covered dudes. There was not a single inch of actual skin showing on Kenny by the end!

I cracked up when Eric confronted Lee and Bryce in the non-wrestling portion of that date and everyone else just peaced out. "Restroom is that way?" Good self-preservation instincts, boys.  

14 hours ago, LilJen said:

Bryce has elf ears. He needs to go back in time and be an extra in the LOTR movies.

Seriously! I don't know how I never noticed until now but I can't stop seeing them. 

3 hours ago, hyacinth said:

Bachelorette producers - how about a summer show with older Bachelors and Bachelorettes?   Trust me, it would be hilarious enough for any age group to watch.    

Coming this August: Silver in Paradise! (I mock a little but yes, I would love that.) 

1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

Also, it showed how quick on her feet she is with the biting comeback.  He gave her the "You must experience pain to know joy" quote and then she whipped that right back on him "I'm glad you gave me that quote about joy and pain.  I hope the pain you've gotten from this gives you joy somewhere else." 

And this one: "I am glad you want to move forward, but forward is not inside the mansion it is outside of it."

It's classic litigator/debate/oral argument technique - take a phrase from your opponent, flip it, and use it in support of your own argument. And I love it. Can all future Bachelorettes please be attorneys? I can't get enough of seeing trifling dudes get lawyered! 

• Love 17
(edited)

I was thrown off by Raven's assertion that Eric was Rachel's favorite. Where did that come from? TPTB haven't chosen to show us that.

I think it was based off the four guys Rachel met at the AFR. Of those four, she might have told them Eric was her favorite. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
16 minutes ago, JoBeth70 said:

It's a frankenbite. The camera cuts away from Raven's face before you hear "Eric" so you never see her say it. I don't think Eric is really R's favorite NOW.

• Love 2

Oh Lord, if Eric said "my mane is in your mouth" one more time, I would have thrown my TV out the window. And I love my TV.  How about "why are you always talking about me?" or ANYTHING ELSE?

• Love 3

Eric is way too immature. And he's 28 and never had a realtor been in love? I fell in love at age 16. And 19 and 24 etc. I can't imagine never having a serious relationship at 28!  He just seems so young as someone else mentioned "pouting under his hoodie" and just his manners are that of a, teen. 

• Love 7
(edited)

Random thoughts:

I felt so bad for Fred.  He was so pumped after getting (asking for) a kiss from Rachel and then she picks up the rose only to dump his ass! Also, was he torturing small animals or something as a child??  Because Rachel takes every opportunity to remind us that he was a BAD kid.  I mean wasn't he like 5??  Poor Fred.

I actually thought I missed the part where Josiah got let go because he was barely in the episode and I don't think they showed him getting a rose a the rose ceremony??  I like him.

Alex definitely caught my eye tonight.  Although I do not partake in communal water situations....and he is the reason why!

I love Ellen so I loved the Ellen date.  Bryan is just too aggressive.  Don't like.  The tickle monster is endearing and honest, I'm glad he didn't try and tickle Ellen that would have ended badly for him.  I don't think it's that weird that two of the guys haven't thought about having sex with Rachel, they've known her for like a week and there's a lot going on.

I thought Anthony's date was horrible!  First those poor horses being paraded down Rodeo drive, then shitting in the stores!!  Totally disgusting!!!  Anthony seems very nice and respectable, but too young for Rachel.

All the girl friends looked absolutely horrible, and I like them all.  Who styled them???  Were the outfits a plug for Raven's boutique??

I don't mind Eric.  He seems to know he's going a bit cray cray, and trying to reign it in.  I think he's genuine.  Still liking Kenny and Diggy as well.  Aside from a few duds (and that total douche Lee), this is the best group of guys I've seen in a long time (ever?).

Edited by mostlylurking
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I agree with you about both points. Before you bring up your daughter in every conversation, let the girl get to know YOU. She's not trying to date his daughter. 

The speech with Demario seemed too presidential for me and inorganic. The thing with Rachel which I haven't seen in a while with bachelor/bachelorettes is that she seems very aware of the cameras and plays to them a lot. I think that's a good thing in the fact that she's not acting like a sloppy mess and she is coming off very classy, but it just feels like everything she says, she's saying to look good on camera and not showing her true self. I'm sure she's a lovely person in real life, but just be a little more yourself.

• Love 4

My wife was in the other room while I was watching and she called out, "make him STOP talking about what's in his mouth! Is this is a cooking show?" Wanted him to say, "my name is a party in your mouth, bee-yotch." Missed opportunity.

I am very distracted trying to figure out what Rachel is drinking. Could not figure out whether she was drinking flat beer, apple juice, or an exceptionally full/tall whiskey and soda. 

Just as I remembered WHABOOM correctly (kept calling him Kaboom and Zumba and Roomba and Boom Boom Room and a million other things) - he's gone. Not that I'm complaining. 

You know, show, there are plenty of parents out there who understand that, when starting to date or get to know someone, you can ease up on the "AREN'T MY KIDS JUST THE CUTEST, MOST ADORABLE PEOPLE YOU'VE EVER SEEN?? HUH? HUH? LOOK AT THIS PICTURE! LOOK AT THIS DRAWING! THEY ARE MENSA MEMBERS AND FULL GRANDE SUPREME PAGEANT WINNERS AND COOK AND CLEAN AND SING AND...YES, KEEP LOOKING AT THEM, DAMN IT!" Isn't it enough to say, "I'm a parent and it's an important part of who I am and I hope you'll be open to getting to know my kid?" I'm sure they're angels, but if I were dating I'd like to find that out myself. 

Someone referring to me as "sloppy seconds" would get a giant, muscle-spraining side-eye from me.

• Love 9
13 hours ago, Ripley68 said:

Blake and Lucas' fight was so obviously fake - they couldn't even keep straight faces - they were biting their cheeks and grinning like idiots the whole time.

Yes, and keep in mind that Blake said something like "i used to live with his ex-girlfriend."  the two of them were on a (WB?) show called Ex-Isle, where couples who are broken up go to extricate themselves from a previous relationship and meet someone new. (I'm guessing here, based on the ad I saw).

So, did BLake hook up with Lucas's ex? There's more to them being on the Bachelorette together than we've seen.  Blake seemed like he was playing a part, his entire "relationship"  with Rachel was about Lucas.  And Lucas?  Come on!  you don't go on a dating show with that wa-boom shit.  There's not a woman in the world who sees a guy do that and says, Yeah, he's the guy I want to marry.

• Love 3

I have to credit Rachel for getting rid of Sham-Wow and Lucas.  You just know TPTB were pushing hard to have those two on a 2-on-1 date.

Otherwise, I just think this season continues to be "meh".  For me, the best Bachelorette seasons are those where the Lead is needy and desperate and the guys are decidedly indifferent (i.e., they'd rather hang out together at the mansion than with the Lead).  Thus, obviously, for me the Platonic Ideal of a Bachelorette is of course Deanna.

Rachel seems secure and self-assured.  But I don't think the guys are really all that into her.  They just apparently feel like they need to make a show of it.  

And I suspect that all of them feel constrained to not go down as "the guy who . . . . . with/to/about the first African American Bachelorette".  And Rachel probably feels that way even more so.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Superpole2000 said:

Also, I don't really buy the Demario situation. First of all, 99.9% of guys wouldn't have bothered showing up at the mansion to beg back onto the show because further embarrassment is sure to occur. And secondly, Rachel's response was so letter perfect that it screamed "SCRIPTED!"

Perhaps that was Demario's BiP audition - I'm sure in the past when people have come back and embarrassed themselves like that it's because producers have promised them a spot on BiP (or as the lead - Ali comes to mind, coming back to beg Jake for another chance and throwing herself on the floor crying).

2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I thought so, too.  And then she told Eric the names of the people who had dissed him.  I've really liked Rachel and her obvious smarts and quickness on her feet, but these two incidents took a little of the bloom off the rose for me, so to speak.

This bothered me too. The men didn't go to the friends and say Eric is wrong reasons - Raven asked them who was least suitable for Rachel of the group they were with in the bus and they both said Eric.

1 hour ago, mostlylurking said:

All the girl friends looked absolutely horrible, and I like them all.  Who styled them???  Were the outfits a plug for Raven's boutique??

Don't want them to outshine the Bachelorette! I agree they didn't look good at all (esp Raven's top - WTH was that?).

6 minutes ago, coconutcookie said:

I think Alex looks a bit like Harvey Keitel when he smiles.  It's the eyes.

I think he looks like Jake Gyllenhal. Those pants he wore on Ellen, OMG those were an atrocity.

• Love 3