Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E22: Where Are They Now? Laura and Chay LIVE CHAT

• Start Topic

Surgery enabled Laura's independence but the complications nearly killed her and she's terrified about the next skin surgery. Chay revealed to her family she was transgender but living life as an overweight woman; can she stick to her weight loss journey?

As many of you are aware, one of the My 600 Lb. Life participants featured in this episode came out as a transgender woman in her previous follow up episode.  The episode title identifies her as Chay.  However, in the last update, she asked to be called Lola. Our goal is to make sure we offer her a baseline level of respect -- not only for her but for anyone dealing with issues of self-identification and a sense of one's self.   

Chay is now Lola.  Lola is a she.  She is a woman.  She uses the pronouns she/her/hers. At PTV we encourage reading the GLAAD reference guide.  The key thing to remember is we will not debate her gender identity; we will not support transphobic comments.  Hate speech is, as always, out. Does that end the snark?  Of course not.  After all, we can still snark about the number of times she says “journey” or “I’m going to do it my way” or she puts on 30 pounds while “following the plan.”   Everything else is fair play.  Seriously, with all the name choices available, she picked Lola.  That’s snark-worthy right there. 

P.S. During the episode we learn that Chay has chosen to drop Lola and use Chay instead.  So Chay is okay.  She is Chay.  

• Love 9

My neighbor just asked me over for a glass of wine and a chat, and I'm all, "No thanks, I've got dinner in the oven" but really I'm thinking, IT'S MY 600 LB LIFE, I have to get back to my TV!!"

• Love 12

Pull out your plastic knives and paper plates, and open up your cans of "uh-oh, SpaghettiOs" like so many if our 600 pound families, and let's get this party started!

Hey my peeps!

Now, where's our emcee, Mama Anchorabu?

• Love 7
Just now, CouchTater said:

Hey everyone.

Who's Sean?  I can't remember him.  Except for a few true standouts, most of the 60-lb'ers blur into 1 big blob for me.

he was the one who's mom we dubbed as "munchausen mom" (which is pretty shitty since she's dead now).  Dr Now kept yelling at her when Sean kept gaining weight.

Poor Laura, she has a "comb over" hairstyle

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, CouchTater said:

Hey everyone.

Who's Sean?  I can't remember him.  Except for a few true standouts, most of the 60-lb'ers blur into 1 big blob for me.

Sean's the 20 something y/o with the Munchausen mommy.

• Love 2
Just now, notyrmomma said:

he was the one who's mom we dubbed as "munchausen mom" (which is pretty shitty since she's dead now).  Dr Now kept yelling at her when Sean kept gaining weight.

Thanks notyrmomma. 

Oh, yeah, I remember now!  Wasn't she hospitalized at the end of his episode?

Just now, 55Unicorns said:

Is there a connection to obese women and hair loss?  Half of them are bald on top.

Hair loss after bariatric surgery is common.

• Love 1
Just now, CouchTater said:

Thanks notyrmomma. 

yes, and some speculated (ok, me) that she didn't want to be on the show anymore.  Nope, she was really sick and dying.  I believe she died of kidney failure.

3 minutes ago, CouchTater said:

Hey everyone.

How did you miss him? He started out at 919 pounds, went home to lose weight, and blew up to 1,003 pounds. Uber big blob in his first episode.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, notyrmomma said:

Now I have the song Copa Cabana stuck in my head...Her name was Lola, she was a show girl...

My good friend is a Barry Manilow fan & has a cat named Lola.

Joey looks so much like Gilbert (Lupe's ex man). It may be hard not to snark on him.

• Love 6

So excited to be here after missing two weeks. It's not as much fun reading everything days later. 

Laura deserves to get the same dental makeover that Pauline got!!

• Love 4
Just now, notyrmomma said:

yes, and some speculated (ok, me) that she didn't want to be on the show anymore.  Nope, she was really sick and dying.  I believe she died of kidney failure.

Oh, wow.  I didn't know that.  I wonder how Sean is doing.  That's really sad, especially for someone who was so dependent on his mom.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, CouchTater said:

Thanks notyrmomma. 

Now I remember.  That is when he finally began to lose weight.