Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E01: Los Angeles Auditions #1

• Start Topic

(edited)
On 6/14/2017 at 7:03 AM, Winston9-DT3 said:

Mark Villaver reminded me a tad of Mark Kanemura of season 4, also from Hawaii.  I thought Villaver's choreo was very creative.

They're from the same studio. (If you click on that link, there are short paragraphs about both Marks, Pono , Cole Horibe, and a bunch of other dancers from 24-7).

Edited by Babalu
  • Love 1

The "jazz" dancer should not have been put through. I'm so tired of these 18-25 year old white women who say they're jazz dancers but spend their auditions doing leg extensions and whipping their hair around while they rub their hands over their bodies. That's not jazz dance.

I thought they were going to send her to the class, but they put her through?? total and complete Hairography.

Sounds like a great list of allstars!  HATED the kiddie version last year.  Was there anyone  that liked it--yuck.

• Love 2

I didn't mind it.  I enjoyed several of the kids, like Tate.  

I don't think they sent anyone to choreo this ep, did they?  It was 'the academy' or nothing, right?  

I have missed this show so much!

I watched a 14-year-old perform to this "Like a River" song on the World of Dance show. the 14-year-old was more impressive to me than the 22-year-old on SYTYCD.

I liked Darius' audition. I have high hopes for him.

• Love 1
(edited)

Thank god the adult version of this show is back!  I just gave up on World of Dance, because it was just so bad, so I'm glad to have some enjoyable dancing on my screen. 

Can someone please tell Cat Deeley how to pronounce Los Angeles?  It's not Los AngelEES as she insists on saying!!  Silly Brits.

And can someone please teach Vanessa Hudgens how to clap?  Because she really appears to not know how.

Edited by Canada

I enjoyed the kids' season. IMO, all of the top 10 showed great talent and excellent dance skills. We also got to see some of the best ballroom we've seen on SYTYCD in years. Kids are every bit as capable as adults of giving great performances, so it disappoints me when people won't give them a chance.

Since this season is reusing the All-Star format from the Next Gen season, I wish all of the All-Stars would pick partners of opposite gender. With Next Gen, same-gender (other than the ballroom pairs) was necessary to keep it kid-friendly, but I felt it limited the choreography a bit. With adults, male-female pairings opens up more options, IMO.

Not to repeat what so many others have said, but I'm also glad to see the show is back to having grown ups dance, having skipped last season's kid version.  I'm still sad that the format has been changed to a very quick 10 contestants, but 10 is better than none.  I don't mind Nigel or Mary, it wouldn't be the same show without them.  That said, I dvr-ed the show so I could FF through much of the commentary as well as the bad acts.  Was the guy in the glasses the only joke contestant?

Loved Darius and the ballroom couple.  The ballroom dancers looked professional to my untrained eye so I was wondering what they wanted from the show besides exposure.  I agree the Russian twins were kind of creepy.  Their performance was fascinating, but not something I want to see week after week.  I also enjoyed the first guy.

On 6/14/2017 at 11:46 PM, cryptaknight said:

Also, interesting that Fikshun is an All Star since he is competing on World of Dance as well.

Really?  I'm not watching that show but I'll have to see if I can find his performance on YouTube.  I'm excited about seeing the All Stars.  Some of my favorites are on the list.

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:01 PM, Silver Raven said:

The guy dressed like a frog did nothing for me.  I didn't think he showed any dance moves worth seeing again.

I was expecting something brilliant and was completely  underwhelmed. I wonder if he's one of those contestants with an amazing background in dance that the producers and judges know about but we don't.

If the episodes are going to be so short, I really wish they'd cut the fluff and give us the most (good) dance possible.

Who is 'the guy dressed like a frog'?  The violist guy with the clear plastic suit?  I think Mark, Darius and the ballroom guy were the only other guys this ep, and they were all in all-black.