Type keyword(s) to search

Love Connection - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

Yup, really classy. "He broke with me via text so I put his motorcycle up on Craigslist" and then she insists the guy go dutch on the dinner when the show gave her $500 to pay for the date. Classy indeed.

$10,000 or a second date with someone the audience picks? Who (especially those going on this show) would turn down the $$$?

I didn't make it to the second half of the show.

Edited by SayMyName
On 5/25/2017 at 0:16 AM, savannah31401 said:

If Andy doesn't use the phrase 2 and 2 them he should be ashamed of himself.

I agree but that was said back when a commercial break was 2 minutes and 2 seconds.  Now would it be "back in 5 and 5"?

9 hours ago, SayMyName said:

Yup, really classy. "He broke with me via text so I put his motorcycle up on Craigslist" and then she insists the guy go dutch on the dinner when the show gave her $500 to pay for the date. Classy indeed.

$10,000 or a second date with someone the audience picks? Who (especially those going on this show) would turn down the $$$?

I didn't make it to the second half of the show.

1st paragraph - How funny was that.  She kept the money.

2nd paragraph - Well the black girl who chose the white guy and not the audience pick did.  I was thinking, couldn't she accept the money and give the white guy her digits?

3rd paragraph - The black girl finds out, mentioned in updates at the end, that the white guy still lived with his ex gf.  Hilarious!

• Love 4

I REALLY can't stand Andy as host.  He's smarmy, yet boring at the same time.  And what the heck was up with him saying White Guys are so crappy...over and over?   Self loathing, much?  It was pandering and offensive.

• Love 1
(edited)

I used to love the original Love Connection.  That was probably my favorite of the dating shows of the old days, although I also adored Blind Date, and I even watched Change of Heart and that ridiculous show, Studs.  One of my good friends was on Love Connection.   Her first date went well so she was chosen to go on a second date with the guy who picked her.  I went to the taping of the show where they talked about their date, and then she joined him on the couch to talk to Chuck Woolery, and that was fun to watch.

I generally like Andy Cohen a lot -- when he is in his own realm, in his much smaller studio in New York, with a much smaller audience, on Watch What Happens Live.    I also like him as an occasional guest on other people's talk shows.

However, I did not like Andy on Love Connection.  He was too animated, and it annoyed me.  He has a big personality anyway, but for some reason I think that his personality works better on WWHL, directed at the smaller audience.  In the Love Connection format it felt like he was trying to be even more animated and hyped up than usual, playing to the fact that there were more people in the audience,  and it just irritated me.  Chuck Woolery -- in all of his suave game show host glory -- is more subdued and laid back, and that worked with the original LC.

I also didn't like the change in the format.  One hour is too long for this show.   I didn't like the flashy new stage.  What can I say?  I preferred the simplicity and set-up of the original LC, without all of the bells and whistles.  I can understand a reboot of the show with a new host, and even a bigger audience if need be, but I wish they had not tweaked the format or length of the show and had just kept it the way it was.  I didn't see anything in this new version that was an improvement over the old version.

Even though he already has 5000 jobs, I think Chris Hardwick would have been a better choice for Love Connection

Edited by TVFan17
typos
  • Love 1

I don't believe anything from him to be even remotely real. Hearing the guy was named Robert Bacon reminded me of a man on the original show who also had a VERY unfortunate last name.. His first name was Robert, if interested you can look it up. Not about to post that word here. But yeah, typical Andy fakeness. Pass. 

(edited)
7 hours ago, Suzysite said:

I REALLY can't stand Andy as host.  He's smarmy, yet boring at the same time.  And what the heck was up with him saying White Guys are so crappy...over and over?   Self loathing, much?  It was pandering and offensive.

I usually like Andy, warts and all.  I have read his biographies and in the last one, he answers reader's questions of the previous ones, he admits to be mystified by other races.  He finds them cool and wants to be in with them.  Sounds terrible?  Yes!  I do like his candor but in today's world who doesn't have a broader, if not all-inclusive, group of friends?  I found that very odd.  He also alluded to Kelly/Michael trouble having something to do with that.  Weird.

6 hours ago, TVFan17 said:

Chuck Woolery -- in all of his suave game show host glory

I was in love with Chuck Woolery!  Smoooooooth!

In case you missed the show, it is being rerun tonight at 9:00 EST.

Edited by jumper sage
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, jumper sage said:

I was in love with Chuck Woolery!  Smoooooooth!

Chuck always had a very deep tan, didn't he?  It wasn't quite on the level of George Hamilton's tan, but it was a good, strong tan.  And he had a stylish, slick way about him -- very charming and dapper.  Plus, if I remember correctly, he always wore what looked to be a very expensive watch!  lol

• Love 3
(edited)

Please try and just remember LC & Scrabble Chuck Woolery of the 80's early 90's. I made the mistake of finding his social media accounts. I knew he leaned in one political direction beforehand. I was still shocked and saddened though. Oy.

I'm watching this updated LC now.  This talking to all the people the person sitting by Andy went on dates with individually is awkward. I'm not liking this so far. I'm not a fan of the dark lighting strobe lights set either. What the hell is this $10,000 shit?

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 2
31 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Please try and just remember LC & Scrabble Chuck Woolery of the 80's early 90's. I made the mistake of finding his social media accounts. I knew he leaned in one political direction beforehand. I was still shocked and saddened though. Oy.

I'm watching this updated LC now.  This talking to all the people the person sitting by Andy went on dates with individually is awkward. I'm not liking this so far. I'm not a fan of the dark lighting strobe lights set either. What the hell is this $10,000 shit?

I know what you mean about Chuck and his views, and I was disappointed when I heard about a few of them.  So I am just remembering the jovial "We'll be back in 2 and 2" Chuck from the old days.

Totally agree -- I didn't like the talking to each person individually (on the new version of LC), nor the lighting and set.  The segment with Bacon seemed to go on too long because of talking to each person.  I liked the old format -- pick one date, go out with that person, either go out with them again or go out with the person the audience picked... or fly solo.  End of story.  Instead, now we have to hear from each person.

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Damn it!  You are right.  [Throws up hands and walks away]

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Suzysite said:

I think he was just feeding off of the black girl being so surprised that the white guy could hold a decent conversation. He was snarking on her like "Who woulda known...that the white guy could converse...that the white guy could kiss...that the white guy was a decent date?!"

• Love 4

The concept for this show is stupid.  Take $10,000 and the person the audience chose or get no money but date the person you chose.  Ummm, take the $10,000 and then call the person you prefer and go on a date yourselves!  What a stupid idea.

• Love 6

Well guess I am the only fool watching this show. I just came to say the flight attendant who dated the guy was so annoying, I couldn't even stand to listen to her anymore after a couple minutes I fast forwarded. Not that the guy was a winner either, but she was obnoxious. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, valdawn said:

Well guess I am the only fool watching this show. I just came to say the flight attendant who dated the guy was so annoying, I couldn't even stand to listen to her anymore after a couple minutes I fast forwarded. Not that the guy was a winner either, but she was obnoxious. 

You are not the only one I just didn't have much today about it. The craziest parts are the aftermath where so many people reveal themselves as shit heads. It's probably how most of these things end up when the cameras go away.

• Love 2

I'm watching too. Didn't have much to say but here goes....

- the guy that was all about the booty and the booty-to-waist ratio chose a girl with no booty. Her body slender and straight. She must have used some of her witchcraft to make him choose her.

- i think Mark with the long hair might have been bisexual. He flirted with Andy. And he called his man-bun a ballerina bun.

- blonde girl was so offended to be rate a 1, but then we see that she rated the next guy a 3. 

• Love 2

That Aaron guy was a straight up shallow asshole, but all those ladies were too extra. That Jalisa needs to sit down somewhere. I mean, do you really have to do all that air kissing and real slobbish on tv?! 

Further, either way I'm taking the money. Oh, I'm the only one?

• Love 2
14 hours ago, announcergirl said:

That Aaron guy was a straight up shallow asshole, but all those ladies were too extra. That Jalisa needs to sit down somewhere. I mean, do you really have to do all that air kissing and real slobbish on tv?! 

Further, either way I'm taking the money. Oh, I'm the only one?

I'm waiting for a case where the money comes with the second place person.  That is when we will see.  In both cases, the lead had made clear how much they didn't go for the person that would come with the money.  So they were afraid to look bad.  

• Love 1

Geez, the updates are disappointing. But at least it makes me feel better about some dates I have had. Was the booty-to-waist guy saying that Jalisa was a real bitch? No one told the blonde woman not to wear those drapey pants?

• Love 1

I'm posting this here so it doesn't get lost in the 2nd episode thread since I'm mentioning the original vs. this reboot.

This reboot is just blah. There's no trace of the charm or appeal the original had IMHO. The dark set with strobe lights and etc. is distracting. While I was zipping through commercials on the DVR there were ones for other FOX shows with similar darkly lit sets. I had to pay close attention to make sure that I wasn't stopping on one thinking it was this show or zipping through the show thinking it was one of those commercials. I'm still really turned off at the $10,000 being factored into it at all. The reboot feels so trashy thus far. It kinda makes me sad.

It was pretty crazy that the blonde woman (name?) didn't show up for the overnight date with her chosen guy because she heard he'd bragged about dating some playboy bunny.  Huh, didn't she just date 3 different guys in order to choose him?  Plus, they weren't exactly in a committed relationship.  She was too full of herself.  

• Love 2

Two singles are sent on three blind dates each, with the hope of finding a love connection. Then, they tell all in front of a studio audience, as their dates also react.

Was I the only one annoyed by Mr. Booty-to-Waist's incessant lip biting/licking? It was like a nervous tic and drove me crazy.  I mean along with him and his crazy choice.

Seriously, ditch the money aspect. It's too obvious that one could cash in and still see the person anyway.

The set is amazingly awful, taking 15-minutes to lower that light strobe love bridge.  There's no way I could be in that audience with all of those flashing lights set to trigger a massive migraine.

I love the updates and I guess I also am a fan of horrible television.  I don't know why I keep watching.

• Love 3

Wow, 3 days later and no comments.  This show must have awesome ratings.  

The short blonde girl surprised me by dumping her southern gentleman date for the guy who gave her a 3.  She must have really wanted that cash.  Although the coda at the end of the show said the two of them were still dating, so I guess she picked right.

• Love 3
On 6/10/2017 at 7:01 AM, tinaw said:

I was really surprised by the blonds choice too. I thought for sure she would pick the last guy. I guess shady likes shady.

I thought what was interesting about that was that she was the first person who didn't seem to care how she looked to the audience.  Some of the earlier ones seemed to me to be scared they would look bad if they took the money.  But really, on the basis of one date in a completely artificial situation where the chance of a real relationship is minimal, people expect them to turn down $10,000? If they wanted a normal dating situation they wouldn't go on TV.  

On 6/16/2017 at 7:54 AM, Suzysite said:

A frigging rerun??  Come on LC,  this is a (probably) low-budget summer program and you can't get through one short season? Disappointed.

I've been watching this On Demand and wondered why there wasn't a new episode.  Has it been canned already?

On 5/26/2017 at 9:26 PM, Jaded said:

Not everyone is put out by his political view.  I for one find it refreshing that he has the convictions to buck the Hollywood trend.

• Love 2

I watched Love Connection for the first time yesterday.  It was episode 4 where there was a marriage proposal, complete with diamond ring. WT?  Andy was standing there looking all surprised like he didnt set that whole thing up.  She was jumping up and down like this was really going to happen for her.  It was written that after the overnight date they were still engaged and planning on meeting each others' parents,

The next couple included a blonde girl from Long Island who screamed of desperation, holding onto his hand for dear life, and although she seemed way into him, I knew he was not going to pick her, something in his facial expression.  He picked, of course, the other option that came with the money.  And to prove he wasn't into that girl either, who was also not into him, he brought one of his male buddies along on their overnight date.  It was written the girl hasn't spoken to either one of them since.  LOL

PS I only watched this ep because I thought Ramona from RHONY was going to be on.  Please let me know if that happened already so I dont have to go on Demand to spin thru ep 1, 2, and 3 to find the one.  Thanks.

• Love 1
(edited)
13 hours ago, lasandi said:

PS I only watched this ep because I thought Ramona from RHONY was going to be on.  Please let me know if that happened already so I dont have to go on Demand to spin thru ep 1, 2, and 3 to find the one.  Thanks.

Me too!  No she hasn't been on yet.  On WWHL this week he said she was going to be on.

Just Googled it and it looks like she was on a sneak peak.  Her episode airs on July 13.

Edited by jumper sage
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, jumper sage said:

Me too!  No she hasn't been on yet.  On WWHL this week he said she was going to be on.

Just Googled it and it looks like she was on a sneak peak.  Her episode airs on July 13.

Thank you so much Jumper Sage.  

• Love 1

We were gonna go to a Chinese restaurant but i don't like chinese food.

We were gonna go paddle boarding but i can't swim.

We were gonna go hiking but i don't like lizards and stuff. 

Yeah, good luck with that "marriage," guy!

• Love 8

Did anyone catch the "Promotional Consideration by Neil Lane Jewelry" at the end of the proposal episode?  And that Andy of course name-dropped Neil Lane when admiring the ring?  Yeah.  That proposal was for realsies.  (Not.)  Also, that girl seemed nice at first, but between the constant crossing of her hands across her chest in the universal "Ohh! I'm so touched and humbled!" gesture and all of her Nopes, I think she might be kind of exhausting long-term.

I will continue to watch, though, because there's something I love about this dopey show.  I do miss the "back in 2 and 2" catchphrase.

• Love 2

"Well audience there were 27 marriages from the original Love Connection so this clearly fake proposal has to be real!"

Oh, Andy....

I liked her selections!!! A cute pharmacist who likes Black girls and athletic geek? Where do I sign up?

• Love 2

Ramona got herself another Silver Fox,  but she later ditched him for being "G. U. "-- "Geographically Undesirable." AKA,  not a rich man from the UES.  

The short (I like short) Italian (I like Italian) magic-card-tricks (not so much this) guest  was cute but too interested in himself and,  apparently, the one date's bartender ("He was an interesting  guy!"). He eventually "ghosted" his and the audience's choice,  a "hula-hoop fire dancer."

I'm  hooked,  Andy! (But please--no more "celebrities" from your franchises. Celebs as contestants ruin every type of show.) 

• Love 2

The first guy was a trip.  Always late?  Wants a soul mate?  Ghosts his own choice?  Me thinks he thinks he is a playa.

Ramona - I loved her appearance until she dumped him because he was GU.  Does he live in another state?  She did mention she wanted someone within 15 minutes of her house.  OMG!

10 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Ramona got herself another Silver Fox,  but she later ditched him for being "G. U. "-- "Geographically Undesirable." AKA,  not a rich man from the UES.  

Now I get it!

• Love 1