Type keyword(s) to search

America's Got These Media Links

• Start Topic

The story about their firings, Gabrielle Union's in particular, has been gaining traction in the media.  It's kind of telling the only statement NBC and the production company blah blah we're inclusive, blah blah we always change our judges.  The only other judge I can think of that lasted one season is Brandy.

• Love 3

I really don't think either Gabby or Julianne were popular with the fans.  There was a lot of criticism, some of it here, some of it even by moi, of their hairstyle, makeup and costume choices.  Neither lit the show on fire IMHO.

The Jay Leno complaint could have been a non-issue since it was edited out of the show's episode, so if the two women were that offended and complained loudly about a one-time guest judge, perhaps TPTB bristled at the two trying to run their show, and said buh-bye.

I'm delighted that when I tune in to AGT again that there will be two new judges.  And hopefully no more Jay Leno.

Edited by CrystalBlue
Foreign words should be italicized.
  • Love 1

The Jay Leno complaint could have been a non-issue since it was edited out of the show's episode, so if the two women were that offended and complained loudly about a one-time guest judge, perhaps TPTB bristled at the two trying to run their show, and said buh-bye.

Those types of jokes are offensive to a lot of people, why should people just shut up and take it?  She went to HR which is standard procedure in most work places.  That's not mentioning the allegations about the show telling Gabby her hair was too Black, Simon smoking indoors and the show fearing that some contestants wouldn't click with the audience for certain reasons.  Going by what has been rumored about Simon's other shows, maybe the problem is with the production and not a judge "trying to run their show."

ETA:

Edited by junemeatcleaver
  • Love 8

Those types of jokes are offensive to a lot of people, why should people just shut up and take it?  She went to HR which is standard procedure in most work places.

Because Leno was a one-time guest judge, so what on earth was HR supposed to do about it? They can't control everything that comes out of a guest judge's mouth, and they clearly recognized the problem with the joke because they didn't air it. Also, it sounded like a not very funny joke at all, but there's something more than a little weird about saying it's offensive for a comedian to poke fun at things that are true, ultimately neutral, cultural differences. That's a pretty common thing that comedy does! A lot of people are treating the punch up/punch down philosophy like it's an objective law when it's a not, and it can be very subjective what exactly even counts as punching up versus punching down.

Anyway, I don't think Union should have shut up and taken the joke, but I think once production agreed not to air the joke, that should have been the end of it. That's ultimately what mattered. I'm honestly not even clear on what else Union wanted, other than for AGT to have been able to make Leno not say the joke in the first place--which was simply not in their power.

ETA: (likewise with the incident with the Beyonce impersonation... the audition apparently wasn't aired per the articles, so it sounds like the show did listen to Union.)

Edited by Zuleikha
  • Love 3
24 minutes ago, junemeatcleaver said:

Those types of jokes are offensive to a lot of people, why should people just shut up and take it?  She went to HR which is standard procedure in most work places.  That's not mentioning the allegations about the show telling Gabby her hair was too Black, Simon smoking indoors and the show fearing that some contestants wouldn't click with the audience for certain reasons.  Going by what has been rumored about Simon's other shows, maybe the problem is with the production and not a judge "trying to run their show."

ETA:

Well I guess if the two ladies were that offended about a has-been comedian's lame ass-joke (which is as lame ass as Jay Leno himself and the way he acted nearly catatonic or stoned on camera during his episode), then they should be thankful they don't have to show up to AGT again and are free to gain employment elsewhere.

• Love 3

Show me the co-host, male or female, color whatever, who Simon has not belittled and badgered into specific roles.  On either side of the Atlantic.  It is a fundamental aspect of the entertainments he has provided for many years.

It is absurd that people who aspire to be models/representatives take such umbrage over issues of presentation.  There are any number of physical features which the client gets to decide upon.  It's as arbitrary as can be - as are the audience as a whole. 

These ladies, and Mel and Heidi before them, were not hired for their personality nor for their acumen in assessing talent nor verbalizing said assessments.  They were to look great, as their client Comcast/Universal deemed such, and to bring a softer, feminine side of things, in contrast to Simon's notorious Alpha male approach.  

They played roles.  They were not paid an enormous wage for insights.

If it's about offensiveness...have y'all seen some of the acts which even she voted to put through?!  Seriously?  Gross.  Shocking mutilation.  Repulsive.  

If Ms. Union wants to put out her cultural observations on her dime and her platforms, by all means!  Just not on a Summer show designed to be a trifle for the vast milquetoast middle class America seeking escape from the various issues and controversies with which they are bombarded.  This isn't hard, y'all.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Well I guess if the two ladies were that offended about a has-been comedian's lame ass-joke (which is as lame ass as Jay Leno himself and the way he acted nearly catatonic or stoned on camera during his episode), then they should be thankful they don't have to show up to AGT again and are free to gain employment elsewhere.

So, if someone is behaving inappropriately, they shouldn't have to change their behaviour but those who call it out should have to leave?  How 1950s. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Show me the co-host, male or female, color whatever, who Simon has not belittled and badgered into specific roles.  On either side of the Atlantic.  It is a fundamental aspect of the entertainments he has provided for many years.

It is absurd that people who aspire to be models/representatives take such umbrage over issues of presentation.  There are any number of physical features which the client gets to decide upon.  It's as arbitrary as can be - as are the audience as a whole. 

These ladies, and Mel and Heidi before them, were not hired for their personality nor for their acumen in assessing talent nor verbalizing said assessments.  They were to look great, as their client Comcast/Universal deemed such, and to bring a softer, feminine side of things, in contrast to Simon's notorious Alpha male approach.  

They played roles.  They were not paid an enormous wage for insights.

If it's about offensiveness...have y'all seen some of the acts which even she voted to put through?!  Seriously?  Gross.  Shocking mutilation.  Repulsive.  

If Ms. Union wants to put out her cultural observations on her dime and her platforms, by all means!  Just not on a Summer show designed to be a trifle for the vast milquetoast middle class America seeking escape from the various issues and controversies with which they are bombarded.  This isn't hard, y'all.

Excellent post. It’s interesting that Nick Cannon left in a huff because he felt he was being censored, free speech blah blah, but here Union needs to lose her mind over a stupid Leno joke that no one heard and the offender never returned. Odd how that street runs one way. What does Union think of Cannons treatment?

As said, Leno’s joke was edited out, he never came back and the Beyoncé impersonator was edited out as well. What does Union want, them guillotined in the public square? How far can virtue signalling cancel culture go?

And whining about notes and comments on their appearance? Julienne at least had some credibility as a dance judge, but you would be pretty dim to not know she was hired for her appearance. Guess what, that means comments on her appearance are clearly fair game. And Union, with zero qualifications whatsoever, replaced Mel B. So she appoints herself as the racial offense arbiter of all and still cries about stuff that was addressed. Wow.

• Love 5

Gabrielle Union's reported allegations prompts a SAG-AFTRA investigation; NBC & AGT finally make a statement

I'm surprised it took until Sunday for them to make a more detailed statement.  Being hated by viewers aside, a lot of people empathized with Gabby, particularly because the producers told a Black woman to present "less Black."  But the network and show probably released that statement because of the pending investigation and the potential fallout from Cowell's indoor smoking being exposed.

• Love 1

My take on this is waht the Jay Leno joke was... yeah, I would be shocked if they let him back as a guest judge - that is a big no-no. I also just did not like Gabrielle or Julianne as judges - they were just plain annoying.

I wonder if AGT and The Rookie shared hairdressers, since didn't Afton Williamson say the exact same things ahppened with her on the set of The Rookie?

I’m still confused by the issues about both judges appearances. 

If Gabby decided to wear a Pogo the Clown outfit and Julie came out in full Wolf man makeup, would the producers/directors have allowed them to sit at the judges table? Of course not.

Its not like the judges have full autonomy on what to wear or how their makeup looks... this is decided on set by staff. Discounting Simons trailer park white t shirts, I don’t believe the judges would be allowed to even get as far as to walk out there looking in a manner their bosses didn’t approve of, so all this BS about appearance is smoke in my opinion.

I think the show didn’t care for how either judge worked out. They weren’t very good, that seems to be the consensus.  I don’t think they liked Gabbys whining about the social injustice of whatever and they probably didn’t care for Julie’s public announcement that she’s nonbinarygenderlesssexual or whatever that was about. They couldn’t fire just one so they both had to go. Gabby is taking the victim route while Julie isn’t interested in burning any bridges, it seems. 

Wont miss either one at this point.

• Love 1

Gabby is taking the victim route while Julie isn’t interested in burning any bridges, it seems. 

If taking the victim route does something to change the toxic environment on set, let her "whine." 

Discounting Simons trailer park white t shirts, I don’t believe the judges would be allowed to even get as far as to walk out there looking in a manner their bosses didn’t approve of, so all this BS about appearance is smoke in my opinion.

Simon's one of the bosses, though.  I won't get into that there are different expectations for how women look on television than men, but...

A lot of Simon's shows have behind the scenes problems, maybe it's him and not Gabrielle Union with her so-called chip on her shoulder.  Maybe, just maybe.

Oh, someone else has mentioned Simon and the shit that seems to follow him:

added some stuff
  • Love 4

It's funny that neither Tyra Banks nor Mel B played the "they don't like my black hair" race card.  I recall both women going through many, many hairstyles, but I didn't keep track of how "black" or "white" they were supposed to look; they were just different hairstyles to me.

• Love 4
On 12/3/2019 at 1:12 PM, junemeatcleaver said:

If taking the victim route does something to change the toxic environment on set, let her "whine." 

Simon's one of the bosses, though.  I won't get into that there are different expectations for how women look on television than men, but...

A lot of Simon's shows have behind the scenes problems, maybe it's him and not Gabrielle Union with her so-called chip on her shoulder.  Maybe, just maybe.

Oh, someone else has mentioned Simon and the shit that seems to follow him:

Seems to me she’s the toxic part of the environment. Leno says a stupid joke and doesn’t return, another contestants offense is cut out of the episode, but she’s still crying. The race card gets old when it’s pointless. I’ll bet they don’t miss her.

And the rest of the stuff about Cowell, Stern, men, women, looks etc? lol. What is Stern even saying? Was he under the impression that the men are on the show for their looks as much as the women are? He hired Howard Stern and Howie Mandel vs Heidi Klum and Jullianne Hough. Yeah, the hiring process is the same, lol.

• Love 3

Good riddance! Maybe they'll get a judge that had a singing career so they can give some real advice or criticism, since that seems to be the main talent AGT is looking for.

I wouldn't cry if Howie or Simon left.

Here's a thought. No guest judges. Why do we need more than 4.

• Love 1

Maybe they'll get a judge that had a singing career so they can give some real advice or criticism, since that seems to be the main talent AGT is looking for.

Have they had a judge that was a "real" singer since Brandy in season one?  Yeah, yeah, Mel B, but have you heard her solo stuff?

I heard that Alesha Dixon is going to be a judge for the upcoming Champions season.  She must be a last minute replacement, these reality competition shows hardly ever hire unknowns (to US audiences) to judge their shows.  I remember buying her CD off eBay years ago and now she's on US television.  Huh.

7 hours ago, junemeatcleaver said:

Have they had a judge that was a "real" singer since Brandy in season one?  Yeah, yeah, Mel B, but have you heard her solo stuff?

Thanks junemeatcleaver, I didn't know Brandy was on cause I didn't start watching until the season with Darci. And I've never heard Mel B solo stuff and I don't want to. :-)

I have no idea who Alesha Dixon is. Is she a singer?

(edited)

Former AGT host Tyra Banks.....who served during seasons 12 and 13, becomes the new host for "Dancing With The Stars" replacing veteren 15 year and thirty something cycles I think......host Tom Bergeron.  Of course we've been seeing Tom for years now on AFV and Hollywood Squares, so he's been around.  It's kinda like replacing Ryan Seacrest as to the signature presence he brought to it.  As for Ryan....he could use more time off himself.  

Edited by Swenson
4 hours ago, Swenson said:

Former AGT host Tyra Banks.....who served during seasons 12 and 13, becomes the new host for "Dancing With The Stars" replacing veteren 15 year and thirty something cycles I think......host Tom Bergeron.  Of course we've been seeing Tom for years now on AFV and Hollywood Squares, so he's been around.  It's kinda like replacing Ryan Seacrest as to the signature presence he brought to it.  As for Ryan....he could use more time off himself.  

I disagree with the unceremonious dumping of Tom and Erin.  The replacement choice has dubious motivations behind it, IMHO.  So much for loyalty in showbiz.   Best of luck to Tom and Erin in their futures!

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Swenson said:

And that means we get to see more of Kelly Clarkson as she sits in for Simon.

I was thinking about this.  18 years ago, Kelly won American Idol with Simon as the lead judge.  Now she gets to sub for him.  That's a full circle moment. 

But as much as I love her, NBC relies on her WAY too much.  

19 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

But as much as I love her, NBC relies on her WAY too much.  

I used to be a huge fan, and was one who said Kelly needs to be a judge on The Voice, on American Idol, have her own talk show. Now we get Kelly Clarkson 24/7 and I'm all about not seeing her any more. I love pizza, but eating pizza for every meal ... it doesn't take long before I say "Give me a burger. Or salad please. No more pizza. For a LONG time." Give us a break, show.

I would rather Eric Stonestreet come back. Or, frankly, anyone else.

17 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Not good news about Simon's health.  He has had a setback from his spinal fusion surgery and is now expected to be bedridden for months.

https://pagesix.com/2020/10/10/simon-cowell-to-be-bedridden-from-crash-for-six-more-months/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

This is very serious.  It sounds like he may have overexerted himself once he initially got up and walked around.  I'm glad he's not doing any taped bedside messages nonsense.  He has to heal properly and enjoy privacy, like every other person is entitled to do.  He doesn't need to be put under additional pressure either.  Godspeed Simon!

Edited by CrystalBlue

Coming back as a full show on the Strip in November. Not just a one-off for the Top Ten.

Starring extraordinary acts from the hit TV franchise "America's Got Talent" (AGT), the show will perform two times per night, five nights a week, at Luxor Theater....With such a vast portfolio of talent to draw from, America's Got Talent Las Vegas LIVE will regularly introduce new acts as well as welcome limited-engagement special guests. The show's cast will be announced in the coming weeks.

• Useful 1

All the thrills, no acting or singing.

AGT: EXTREME, NBC

PREMIERE DATE: Midseason

TIME SLOT: TBA

WHO: Judge Simon Cowell

WHAT: Showcases the most outrageous and jaw-dropping daredevil acts. Each week, extreme contestants will go head-to-head in the most wild, wacky and craziest stunts to vie for the ultimate title.

33 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

All the thrills, no acting or singing.

AGT: EXTREME, NBC

PREMIERE DATE: Midseason

TIME SLOT: TBA

WHO: Judge Simon Cowell

WHAT: Showcases the most outrageous and jaw-dropping daredevil acts. Each week, extreme contestants will go head-to-head in the most wild, wacky and craziest stunts to vie for the ultimate title.

Wow.  Since I hate danger acts, this is a complete miss for me.

We know there's not really suspense in the danger acts, because if something bad happened it would have been reported at the time of filming. So this time something really did go wrong on the set of AGT: Extreme.

The caller tells dispatch they need rescue and a helicopter STAT. Goodwin missed the airbag on which he was supposed to land, and hit his head on the ground, suffering a neurological injury....

TMZ broke the story, Goodwin was supposed to free himself from a straitjacket and land on an air mattress below before two cars on either side -- hoisted by cables and swinging back and forth -- collided and sandwiched him in between.  The collision caused a massive explosion.

4 minutes ago, sue450 said:

they have had close calls in the past but with this EXTREME show  something was bound to go wrong eventually...hope he will be ok

I saw an update from today he  was critical and they performed surgery.....no update on his condition though