Type keyword(s) to search

America's Got These Media Links

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

AGT received one Emmy nomination this year:

OUTSTANDING LIGHTING DESIGN/LIGHTING DIRECTION FOR A VARIETY SERIES

Looks like it's up against Dancing with the Stars, So You Think you can Dance, and The Voice in the same category. 

*crickets*

Some of you may or may not remember I live in Las Vegas. I'm on the email list for the local paper and they just sent out a link to buy tickets for the AGT shows. I'd really like to see Light Balance but I'm actually going to be on vacation. November 3 and 4, 7:30pm.

I'm still not sure what Gabrielle brings to the table.  She's fine as an actress (and has NOT AGED) but...huh?  At least I get Julianne being there. 

As for the exits, part of me thinks Mel B's personal issues with her ex husband has become a liability, and Heidi doesn't do much. 

I'm not a big AGT fan, but I adore Terry Crews so I'm willing to watch more of the show this summer. 

Love the fact Terry is coming back. I have no idea who Gabriellr is and I loathe, with the heat of 1000 nuns (thanks TWOP), the Hough person.  Why cant she and her brother just go away? 

Edited by Happy Belly
  • Love 1

Who's Hough?  Apparently a 30-year-old American dancer, singer and actress whose claim to fame is Dancing With The Stars and the remake of Footloose.  Sister of Derek Hough, another dancer and judge on World of Jennifer Lopez Dance.  I've never heard of her but had to stop watching WOD because of JLo.  Julianne is an ex-Mormon.

I've never heard of Gabrielle Union either.  She's American also, and has a mainly actress background on sitcoms and teen comedies.

Will be interesting to see.  I won't miss Mel B and I agree her personal life is out of control.  Heidi, who is now engaged to a 29-year-old, was pretty tolerable and she is attractive.

I'm happy about Terry coming back. It seems univerally he's been liked by viewers. I did wonder with him hosting The Champions whether it was testing the waters, and he has kind of been thrown into it with it being some already established contestants he's talking with.

I can't predict how things will go with the new judges. Personally like I said in another thread I do feel it seems too much change compared to the likes of BGT which I think has more consistency and familiarity.

People are saying about Mel being busy in the summer with the Spice Girls tour but I do wonder if she knew The Champions would be her last with AGT. I also wonder whether Heidi had any say in leaving and I feel bad for her if she was axed. I wonder if things are weird for Howie now as I definitely think there is a different vibe to when Howard was a judge as well.

I'm wondering if Heidi was let go due to corporate (dis)synergy.  Project Runway is moving back to Bravo (which is under the NBC umbrella) but she and Tim Gunn left to start their own show on Hulu.  It was one thing to have Heidi there while she was still hosting PR on a different network when Bravo/NBC didn't have their own fashion show, but now that she'll be in direct competition with them, they decided they didn't want to give her any exposure/promotion.  

11 hours ago, Happy Belly said:

I have no idea who Gabriellr

5 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

I've never heard of Gabrielle Union either.  She's American also, and has a mainly actress background on sitcoms and teen comedies.

Gabrielle Union is one of those actors that you've definitely seen, even if you don't know who she is--she's worked consistently for the past twenty-five years. As a '90s/'00s kid I grew up with her in She's All That10 Things I Hate About You, and Bring It On.

2 hours ago, helenamonster said:

Gabrielle Union is one of those actors that you've definitely seen, even if you don't know who she is--she's worked consistently for the past twenty-five years. As a '90s/'00s kid I grew up with her in She's All That10 Things I Hate About You, and Bring It On.

Never heard of or watched those shows.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Never heard of or watched those shows.

They're movies, and probably really only familiar to those who grew up in the '90s/'00s--for us, they are classics.

But like I said, it is highly unlikely anybody has gone the past 25 years without seeing Gabrielle Union in something, even if they haven't recognized her. She's been everywhere.

13 minutes ago, helenamonster said:

They're movies, and probably really only familiar to those who grew up in the '90s/'00s--for us, they are classics.

But like I said, it is highly unlikely anybody has gone the past 25 years without seeing Gabrielle Union in something, even if they haven't recognized her. She's been everywhere.

Thanks for the info.  I doubt if seeing this Gabrielle Union actress on AGT is going to make me want to watch all those movies either.  YMMV.

Just now, CrystalBlue said:

Not really.  I started watching when it first aired because I liked the theme song in the previews, watched a couple of episodes and fell off watching it.

Ok, then nvm. Gabrielle Union was one of only 2 black women to appear on that show (that I can remember) so you would probably remember her if you watched it. 

I saw her on a talk show recently (maybe Conan?) and she was pretty funny, so hopefully she will be a good addition to the show. 

3 minutes ago, EVS said:

Ok, then nvm. Gabrielle Union was one of only 2 black women to appear on that show (that I can remember) so you would probably remember her if you watched it. 

I saw her on a talk show recently (maybe Conan?) and she was pretty funny, so hopefully she will be a good addition to the show. 

No, I missed her episode(s).  We can only hope for the best!  Onward and upward, as the saying goes!  😄

• Love 1

OK....so she's been around...... still haven't ever heard of her.... but maybe she'll do great..... In the meantime..... Julianne, the proactive lady will be checking contestants for acne.   It seems unlike its british counterpart....agt seems to like "reinventing itself to stay fresh.    Bgt will have the same cast..... host and judges for it's eighth consecutive cycle...... THAT'S continuity.   Only blip is that co-presenter Ant McPartlin missed the live shows last season due to personal issues.   He's back.

• LOL 1

I believe it. This dumb show is very smart. On once a year during the summer and it's a new show every year. They take their talent from youtube act with lots of followers and then they post videos to get even more viewers. Simon is nothing if not media-savvy. 

• Love 1

Some AGT information......Makayla Phillips was a singing 15 yo contestant on AGT season 13 winning a golden buzzer from Heidi...you may remember,  y'all complained about her.   Did you know she's season 14 champ Kodi Lee's "significant friend"?.....and did you know Kodi was there to support her and led to an impromptu singing session that producers couldn't help but notice and put him on the next season.....you know the rest.

Anyway Makayla, now 17 is auditioning for American Idol and she could very well be there in the end.

Terry Crews wants to host "China's Got Talent so badly that he is learning Mandarin to prepare for the opportunity should Simon actually grant it to him.

• Useful 1

It's nice when they listen....but I hope they don't listen to everything fans say because from what I see..... yeah......Gabby and Julianne gathered plenty of complaints on this board.....there's too many singers....too many kids.....too much sobbing......too much of Simon's influence .....too many semi professional ringers brought in for boosting ratings......other than all those things.....this show is great!

So maybe it's good they don't listen to everything.

It's curious to mention that when Simon, Paula Abdul and Randy Jackson....the original Idol judges reunited on Kelly Clarkson's talk show....(she talks a LOT).....Simon didn't rule out working with them again.   So might we at least see Paula again?