Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: Part 32

I was fascinated by the dream logic in this episode, and with watching John’s brain trying to work through the problem that is his life, his own actions. Comparisons to Crime & Punishment were evident everywhere, I think—the mind will get you in ways the law never can.

It made me want to revisit the siblings’ shared nightmare about the intruder at the door in Part 30. I had taken that as a bit of Southern Gothic—the kids not feeling safe in their childhood home, or in their memories of home. But perhaps it was foreshadowing...or perhaps not.

While I’m enjoying the tense storytelling as always, Season 3 has seemed almost too “slow burn” even for me. But this episode, and Ben Mendelsohn’s return, really drew me back in. Looking forward to the next one now.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, weyrbunny said:

It made me want to revisit the siblings’ shared nightmare about the intruder at the door in Part 30. I had taken that as a bit of Southern Gothic—the kids not feeling safe in their childhood home, or in their memories of home. But perhaps it was foreshadowing...or perhaps not.

I found it very intriguing that they all had pretty much the exact same nightmare. Maybe I'll find out in the last episode if there was a specific reason! Or maybe it was just that they didn't feel safe. Although they were all inside the house trying to keep something out, so maybe they felt some kind of outside threat to their home/family.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Anela said:

I'm not enjoying this episode.

ITA.  This episode was so out there and added NOTHING, IMO.  Read that the creators had to dump so much due to Netflix telling them to end it with this season, instead of the 2-3 additional seasons.  This episode could have been used to clean up more loose ends and ending the show on a better note.

• Love 9

What the hell was that? Was this Bloodline's attempt at a "Fly" episode? (Breaking Bad reference).

With all the loose ends, unsolved plot lines and more I feel like this was a big waste 

• Love 8
10 hours ago, PsychoDrone said:

This episode was so out there and added NOTHING, IMO. 

Seemed like an Emmy bait episode for Kyle.

I had no idea if he was dreaming or which reality was the right one because Danny kept appearing.

• Love 3

Two "what the hell did I just watch" episodes in a row is a bit much, show. Especially when we're coming up to the end now.

Oh well, might as well watch the next one just to see if things get tied up in any coherent way.

• Love 4
(edited)

So............what did I just watch??!

Even though I am thoroughly perplexed, two things stood out - first, the juxtaposition of the pre-murder John talking to his post-murder self.  That was very clever, IMO.  It did an amazing job of showing how all of the stress and lying aged him.  He was so fresh-faced at the start of the show that when the first scene came of the two Johns together, I had to blink and make sure that Kyle was playing both parts.

And the scene in the hospital hallway between Danny and John was extraordinary.  John painfully whispering "I'm so sorry."  The brothers embracing.  I so wish this show hadn't been limited to three seasons.  There's so much more to explore, and so many loose ends left dangling.

EDIT: When Danny tells John that he has to go to work, and John replies: "and just what work are you capable of?"  It made me laugh, and I realized that I'd pretty much been holding my breath up to that point, trying to figure out what was going on.  Nice touch.

Off to watch the finale even though I don't want it to be over.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 3

Well, that was weird.  The penultimate episode of the series is basically some kind of hallucination trip for John?  I'm not entirely sure what his going on here.  Is some of the scenes him reliving the past?  Are they what he wished had happen or what could end up happening? Is the diving scene from last episode true and he is dying?  Or is everything all in his head?  I really have no idea.

Not surprised that they used this to bring Danny back, because I had a feeling they wouldn't end this season without at least one appearance from Ben Mendelsohn (after all, he is their one lone Emmy win.)  But I'm all for it.  The John/Danny relationship is fascinating to watch and Kyle Chandler and Mendelsohn are spectacular together.

Aguirre mentioning seatbelt over and over again, makes me think that is going to be a major factor.

Surprised Marco wasn't in any of the visions.  Kevin for that matter too.  And we only got a glimpse of Meg and Robert.

Off to the finale now to find out what the hell is going on! 

Ok, after watching this episode, not sure I should bother with the finale.  Whoever wrote this is trying to outdo Dexter as the most ridiculous ending to a once good show.

I'm in the camp that didn't care for it either. Generally, I'm not fond of these kinds of dream/subconscious eps on my shows. It takes up time from the real time storytelling that I want to see. And I surely didn't want to see it the ninth ep!!

Was that a hair piece on Mendelsohn? it looked kind of poofy.

I hope I get my wish in the finale and that some of the Rayburn's go to jail.

• Love 1
On 5/28/2017 at 2:21 PM, weyrbunny said:

Yes, I think at a minimum they need to explain that particular dream.

I loved Nolan calling out that John's swimming story had to be bullshit. How many of us have family stories that are either flat wrong, or hide some less pleasant truth. Though I did love Kevin sinking like a rock. Even in John's nightmares, Kevin is and idiot who can't even figure out how to dog paddle and needs to be rescued.

Unless O'Bannon really did get killed, there was one new piece of information about the Rayburn history. It was the scene with Sally telling Danny the resort was going to be his, and that they were going to build new cabanas. (Clearly pre-Sarah drowning). John even repeated the bit about the cabanas.

So my feverish mind is linking the "new" cabanas, to the one that had the faulty shower, to the siblings' recurring nightmare about an intruder. (and a call back to Sally saying last episode, I believe, that the doors were never locked during business hours). Did they kill an intruder and bury the body under the cabana? Did Gilbert have anything to do with that? He was some kind of real estate builder guy in his non-criminal front life wasn't he?

Anyway, while I watched I was mostly WTF? But as I let it digest, I think I'm liking it better and better.

I still don't know who the hell Beth is though.

• Love 3
On 6/1/2017 at 8:28 AM, Armchair Critic said:

WTF?!?

really. i was already stressed for all they had to wrap up in 2 epis and i get this? dream sequences are always a waste of time, imo, but to do this right at the end has me more pissed than i already was, waiting for these assholes to get what's coming to them. one more to go. hoping the show redeems itself as i have enjoyed the stress it put me through up until now! going to watch 10 - hope it doesn't disappoint, but i'm afraid it will

• Love 2

I didn't hate it. It gave me more insight into John, but really, at this point, I don't know that I need that.

Honestly, I feel like the whole season went so far off the rails that I don't have a problem with this episode, specifically. Actually, it might have been better served a little earlier in the season/series because at least I'd have a better understanding why John is the way he is.

• Love 2
On 6/6/2017 at 0:24 AM, LakeGal said:

I hated this episode.  I wanted to throw things at the TV.  Why did they want to ruin this show?

Agreed. I can't believe they burned an entire ep on that nonsense. Although I did laugh at Danny and Nolan sharing the same terrible wig.

• Love 3

I was completely confused as to what I was watching, but I didn't entirely hate the episode.  Even if it was just thrown in as Emmy-fodder or not, Kyle Chandler could act out the phone book and I'd watch it.

• Love 2

Wig cop has needed to check in on this show for Danny flashbacks since season 2, but they seemed particularly needed here. Ben Mendelsohn's been in so many films recently; I guess he had more closely cropped hair in them all.