Type keyword(s) to search

Theories You Had Watching A Movie That Didn't Pan Out

• Start Topic

What's a theory/plot twist you thought for sure was going to pan out in a movie and you were completely wrong?

For example.... (WARNING: Spoilers Abound) :

Watching The Witch, I was positive that the plot twist would reveal that Thomasin was the actual mother of the baby who is kidnapped by the witches. She and the father (as well as her brother) had some serious incest vibes throughout the movies, and I really thought that Thomasin's father had gotten her pregnant and they all pretended that their mother had the kid instead. Honestly, I wish they had gone there, because it would have made the mother/daughter fight to the death at the end more poignant, I think.

I thought Kimmy in My Best Friend's Wedding was going to have a car accident. Her overly fast driving was referenced continually. I thought killing her would be too dark, but   almost losing her would make Michael recognize the depths of his feelings for her and would make Jules finally see that breaking them up is a Very Bad Idea.

I believed it would turn out that Evelyn in Salt had been broken by the North Koreans' torture, and that she was fantasizing herself as a superspy. Kind of like "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge."

Interesting topic--I hope it gets more discussion!

• Love 2

Good idea for a thread!

As for my own theories, I'm gonna have to think a minute...

I thought Colin Farrell's character in Fantastic Beasts was just going to be a Death Eater and not Grindewald himself.

And part of me still thinks that the gargoyle characters in Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame were imaginary friends that Quasimodo just made up in his loneliness, though I suppose their part in the end battle renders that theory moot.

Similar idea with the Toy Story movies: that Woody and the gang's adventures were just fantasies of Andy all along.

• Love 1

When I first saw The Matrix I thought Trinity would turn out to be The One. It made sense, Morpheus was told he would find the One and found her, the Oracle said Neo wasn't the One when they first met, and neo felt he wasn't The One. It would have been nice for a woman to be The One instead of the love interest of The One.

• Love 5
On 2/10/2018 at 5:17 PM, topanga said:

In ‘The Mountain Between Us,’ I thought Idris Elba’s character was going to die in the snow. Which would have been sad, but it might have been a better ending than the one I watched. 

I didn't watch the movie, but I thought that was the ending they were going to go with.

I spoiled myself by reading the Wiki page on it, and wow what they picked sounds cheesy.

Anyway, when I watched Sing Street, I thought they were going to have the priest hit on Conor. Thank god they didn't go there.

I also really thought the War Horse would end up dying. Did not expect him to survive the movie the way he did.

I really thought that the little girl in Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom was going to be Laura Dern's daughter. The photo album seemed to show a little blond girl toddler in the early 1970's, which would be about right for Laura Dern's age.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I really thought that the little girl in Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom was going to be Laura Dern's daughter. The photo album seemed to show a little blond girl toddler in the early 1970's, which would be about right for Laura Dern's age.

While I didn't see the movie, I found this article about the kid.

For Mother!, I thought the plot would be Jennifer Lawrence had suffered a nervous breakdown or was mentally ill. Her husband, Javier Bardem had brought to the country house to recouperate. I thought Michelle Pfeiffer and Ed Harris were her parents playing the part of visitor's so they can be close to her. Sort of like the Shutter Island plot. 

Honestly that would of been a far more entertaining movie than what we got. Although Michelle and Ed as Adam and Eve was inspired casting. 

• Love 2

When I saw Eighth Grade and saw how pushy Kennedy's mother was about inviting Kayla to the pool party, I thought that there as going to be a subplot about Kennedy's mother trying to hit on Kayla's dad. Maybe there was and we just didn't see it because the whole thing is completely from Kayla's point of view.

When I watched Prometheus and Alien Covenant, I thought for sure these two prequels would tell me how the Space Jockey and his ship wound up on the planet LV-426.

I’m not sure if I have the patience to sit through another prequel to find out.