Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Part 24

This episode was dark, in terms of lighting. I could barely see anything. 

I still hate Kevin so much! He latches on to people when they show him an ounce of kindness. 

I hope John doesn't go to prison for killing Danny. I hated Danny so much. He reminds me of a family member that always places blame when something wrong happens.

• Love 4
(edited)

Has anyone seen episode 2 yet? I have a question and the individual episodes aren't posted yet.  

Moved to episode 2.

Spoiler

Edited by HollyG

I had trouble with the dog and alligator part. Like you I found it dark so it took me a bit to figure out that it was the gator. At one point I wondered if it was a flashback of Danny's body in the water. 

Also Kevin his the evidence not 6' from his won dock? I thought that he'd at least take a boat out and dump it the next day. Weighted heavily of course. 

@HollyG  Feel welcome to start the thread and ask the question! I'll be there in a bit! 

• Love 1

Oh ok. I didn't know that anyone could start a new episode thread. Thought they were all posted by TPTB.  I'm an idiot.

I saw that it was a gator, but I thought it was over by Marco's house and I thought for sure that it was going to grab the little dog. In fact I had my eye's partially covered and the sound turned down cuz I didn't want to hear it yelp!  Even with that it took me awhile to figure out thats what John hit.

• Love 3

Dark - that really is the word that came to mind to describe both of the first two episodes.  The actions, overall feeling and dialogue were all so dark.  But it had to be that way when you realize all the awful things EVERYBODY was doing. 

Then as others have mentioned, the entire first 2 shows were apparently filmed at night and it was incredibly dark all the time.  There were things I am not sure about as to what was exactly happening as it was so hard to see what was going on. 

I think the person I dislike the most now is Sally.  Her actions and reactions are very distasteful and hard to swallow. 

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, HollyG said:

Oh ok. I didn't know that anyone could start a new episode thread. Thought they were all posted by TPTB.  I'm an idiot.

No, you are not an idiot. I asked the administrator when they were doing it and they told me that I (we) could. If you get to an episode first begin a thread folks. We will all be joining you as we get there! 

Happy viewing

4 minutes ago, freeser said:

I think the person I dislike the most now is Sally.  Her actions and reactions are very distasteful and hard to swallow. 

I couldn't believe she locked the door on Kevin! 

• Love 1

Sally is the worst. The last two seasons she's done nothing to bury her head in the sand every time her kids tried to tell her something about Danny. And could there be a bigger screw up than Kevin? Not even Danny with his manipulations and criminal behavior was this dumb. But Kevin is a dolt! When has Kevin ever made anything better? And of course it's never his fault as "he never has any other choice". If I were his wife I'd leave and never look back.

• Love 8
(edited)

What was the bit about where she was talking to Roy Gilbert and he said something about them being even and she said oh no..not even yet (or did I get this wrong?) Anyone remember? 

Why ever would Sally have handed Kevin that drink? Is she in a conspiracy with Gilbert to put away her kids to be done with the headache of dealing with all of the problems and discord that they have made over the years? 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Added a question
  • Love 2
(edited)

I remember the scene, but I don't remember her and Roy knowing each other. I wonder if she told him that she knew that Danny was working for him and that Danny put them all in jeopardy when he brought all those drugs to the Inn. It's got to be linked to all of that, right?

Edited by HollyG
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Why ever would Sally have handed Kevin that drink?

I thought that was awful of her also.  Didn't she say 'One drink won't hurt you'?

• Love 8
50 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Also Kevin his the evidence not 6' from his won dock? I thought that he'd at least take a boat out and dump it the next day. Weighted heavily of course. 

Right??? What an idiot.

38 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I couldn't believe she locked the door on Kevin! 

And she gave him a drink first!!! These characters are making me use too many punctuation marks.

11 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

What was the bit about where she was talking to Roy Gilbert and he said something about them being even and she said oh no..not even yet (or did I get this wrong?) Anyone remember? 

She said not even close.

6 minutes ago, HollyG said:

I remember the scene, but I don't remember her and Roy knowing each other.

She and her husband both knew him. He had something to do with them acquiring their land, IIRC.

This episode had a lot packed in it, I thought. What with Kevin trying to cover his tracks, going to Roy and him kicking Kevin out of the car, going to his mom and confessing, her locking him out and then calling Roy for him. John's whole journey, crashing his truck, hitchhiking, trying to catch a bus. Meg's whole ordeal (did she end up in her own bed after drunk driving?). I kind of got whiplash.

"Vomit. Thanks."

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Suzy123 said:

This episode was dark, in terms of lighting. I could barely see anything. 

I agree, it was really dark with the rain too. I guess it for sure set a tone and mood for "darkness" of this premiere and final season.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

A major theme in this show is that Kevin is an idiot, who consistently makes bad decisions.

17 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Why ever would Sally have handed Kevin that drink? Is she in a conspiracy with Gilbert to put away her kids to be done with the headache of dealing with all of the problems and discord that they have made over the years? 

It seems like Sally knows Roy from years back and he owes her big time for something...we haven't found out what.

52 minutes ago, KaleyFirefly said:

A major theme in this show is that Kevin is an idiot, who consistently makes bad decisions.

It seems like Sally knows Roy from years back and he owes her big time for something...we haven't found out what.

There were dark hints last season about some chicanery involving Robert and Roy Gilbert. Tied in some way with the Rayburns getting the land for the inn.

(edited)
On 5/26/2017 at 6:25 PM, Mindthinkr said:

Because she is and has always been a bad mother. She's a piece of work, that one.

They're all falling apart, which is sweet justice, imo, given how they told John he was the bad guy and he was all on his own. Now Kevin's a murderer, and it seemed like Meg's biggest point in telling Sally was trying to get Sally to say how bad John was. Then Meg gets wasted, which is her own brand of being an idiot in times of stress.

This episode had me thinking of a line from the William Butler Yeats poem "The Second Coming." Even though I have never quoted a poem on a forum before, this portion of the first verse sure seems thematically relevant:

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 7
53 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Because she is and has always been a bad mother. She's a piece of work, that one.

They're all falling apart, which is sweet justice, imo, given how they told John he was the bad guy and he was all on his own. Now Kevin's a murderer, and it seemed like Meg's biggest point in telling Sally was trying to get Sally to say how bad John was. Then Meg gets wasted, which is her own brand of being an idiot in times of stress.

This episode had me thinking of a line from the William Butler Yeats poem "The Second Coming." Even though I have never quoted a poem on a forum before, this portion of the first verse sure seems thematically relevant:

The lady driving the car said it, didn't she?  "This is not the center.   There is no center."  I thought of the Second Coming too.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, millennium said:

The lady driving the car said it, didn't she?  "This is not the center.   There is no center."  I thought of the Second Coming too.

Yes, that's what made me think of it. So maybe it is intentional.

Nice to see that the Rayburns are still fucked up as always!  John spends the majority of the episode just trying to get the hell out of there (understandable), Meg tries to get some kind of answers from either John or Kevin and decides to just say fuck it and get plastered (really thought the scenes of her driving home drunk was going to end with her hitting someone), and Kevin's just being Kevin a.k.a. the biggest fuck-up on the planet.  Nothing good is going to come out of asking Gilbert for help over Marco's death.

Still, as bad as the Rayburn children are, I thought this episode really showed how horrible of a mother Sally is and is probably one of the reasons why they all have screw looses in them.  Between the flashbacks over her telling young John what he didn't wasn't lying, and the modern scenes of berating Meg, abandoning Kevin (and giving him a drink!  WTF?!), and guilt-tripping John, she really is the worst.  This clan never had a chance.

Surprised that Ozzy is still around, because I'm really not sure what purpose he has.  I guess they're going for a wild card thing, but I feel like O'Bannon already has that part nailed down.

Whelp, looking forward to seeing just how low the Rayburn family can go before it all comes to an end.

• Love 6

I think John had an epiphany when he answered the phone when Sally called late in the episode. Sally said, "How could you do it?" and it sounded like she was asking John about killing Danny, but then she said "How could you lie to me?" and it was clear that she is more concerned about herself than anyone else.

• Love 3

Really ironic that Sally was the one who taught John to lie when he was a kid, and now she's upset he's lying to her. I really do think she is going senile.

I would root for stupid-ass Kevin to get caught if that wouldn't drag John down with him.

Still rooting for John to get away with killing Danny. Don't want Danny to get any kind of a "win". He was a smug, spiteful jackass.

I was kind of hoping Ozzy would get killed, too. He's another character I can't stand.

Who was that woman with the little dog (Mitzy! Mitzy!) and what did that have to do with anything?

• Love 6
8 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Still, as bad as the Rayburn children are, I thought this episode really showed how horrible of a mother Sally is and is probably one of the reasons why they all have screw looses in them.  Between the flashbacks over her telling young John what he didn't wasn't lying, and the modern scenes of berating Meg, abandoning Kevin (and giving him a drink!  WTF?!), and guilt-tripping John, she really is the worst.  This clan never had a chance.

Surprised that Ozzy is still around, because I'm really not sure what purpose he has.  I guess they're going for a wild card thing, but I feel like O'Bannon already has that part nailed down.

I love that they're revealing, bit by bit, just how terrible she is. We spent most of the first season thinking it was the father that screwed them up. But apparently he an Sally were a match made in heaven. I wouldn't be surprised if she and Gilbert had a "romantic" past along with whatever happened with him and her husband.

Yeah, I was pretty ready for Ozzy to be dead. I was actually disappointed when he survived.

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't have time to go back and re-watch any of season 2.  And frankly, I don't like this show enough to research it.  Can anyone remind me, was Danny's son still involved with the family by the end of the last season?  I can't remember.

What I do remember is not liking most of the characters.  And this episode reaffirmed it for me!  The only one I have sympathy for at this point is the Chloe Sevigny character.

Edited by CouchTater
  • Love 2

Binged watched the first three episodes last night.

I had a big problem with continuity. In the recap, Kevin had blood splattered on his shirt after killing Marco. In the first scene of this episode, no blood. Later on, the blood was there again. And don't get me started on the timing. I thought John wasn't able to get a bus out until 4 am. But later in the episode, I think they show O'Bannon and the time was 4 am, but John had already been on the bus out of town and was on his way back. Drove me nuts.

However, I spent most of this episode yelling at Kevin. What a complete idiot. And a crybaby, too. I can't stand the character. I turned to Mr. Paws and said, "Well, what else can he screw up?"

• Love 2
1 hour ago, pawsodoom said:

I had a big problem with continuity. In the recap, Kevin had blood splattered on his shirt after killing Marco. In the first scene of this episode, no blood. Later on, the blood was there again.

Yeah, I noticed that too and thought it was very sloppy. Come on, folks! It's called continuity for a reason and it's especially important when viewers are bound to binge-watch a show. 

Bec, I'm sorry but who are Nolan and Eve? 

(edited)
14 minutes ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Yeah, I noticed that too and thought it was very sloppy. Come on, folks! It's called continuity for a reason and it's especially important when viewers are bound to binge-watch a show. 

Bec, I'm sorry but who are Nolan and Eve? 

I think it's Danny's son, and his ex (Nolan's mother). I was wondering about Eve, as well. Where she'd disappeared to. 

Edited by Anela

Thanks. I just assumed Eve was still living at the Inn. She was there earlier in the day (Season 2 finale) when Nolan overheard her talking to Sally about Danny and how Papa Rayburn refused to give money to Danny for Danny's latest venture AND Nolan's support and that Danny had to choose one or the other.

They really should include a timeline or put something on the screen so we can follow along.

• Love 1

Oh the Rayburns are at their finest at the start of the season! And by finest, I mean the most fucked up. They are just one hot mess with truly abysmal lighting. That being said, I'm happy the show is back, and I'm excited to see what fresh Hell is unleashed in the Keys this time.

You know, all the Rayburn kids are messed up, but its getting easier and easier to see how much their parents have deeply screwed them up. Mr. Rayburn being secretly awful has been obvious since the beginning, but its becoming more and more obvious that behind all of Sally's "I love my family we have to do everything for our family" refrains, she is just an awful, selfish mother, and her constant denial of anything close to reality has clearly deeply damaged her kids. That flashback of her telling John over and over that what he did wasn't "really" lying was just chilling. And than throwing Kevin out AFTER giving him a drink in the present just shows what a shitty mom she still is. She constantly judges her kids while never accepting that half of this shit is her fault anyway. Between the traumatic death of their sister and their awful parents, its impressive that they aren't even more messed up.

Honestly, Kevin should just lay in bed and try not to break anything. He truly is the King of Fuckups. I hope his fuckup doesn't totally screw John over. John might have hard core anger issues, and killing Danny wasn't the right thing, it was at least understandable. But I do kind of want to find a way to get Kevin in jail. he did straight up murder Marco, and he is just generally a mess of a person. Danny was the Rayburn King of Fucked Up, but Kevin remains the King of Fuckups. I guess it makes sense though. He has been the little brother so long, and he had his family covering up everything that happened in their family, as well as running everything for him, that he never really had the time to grow as a person.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

I still wonder if there is a body buried under the room at Sally's inn where the shower kept going out. Maybe it's tied in with Gilbert.

LOL

2 hours ago, cmfran said:

This ep came off as an incoherent mess, in my opinion. Unless it improves considerably, I won't be finishing this season.

I totally understand that. 

• Love 1
On 5/31/2017 at 0:55 AM, Armchair Critic said:

I still wonder if there is a body buried under the room at Sally's inn where the shower kept going out. Maybe it's tied in with Gilbert.

Ooh, I forgot about that!

• Love 2
(edited)
On May 31, 2017 at 9:24 AM, cmfran said:

This ep came off as an incoherent mess, in my opinion. Unless it improves considerably, I won't be finishing this season.

I could not agree more. Season 1 was so good. Season 2. was starting to border on implausible.  But this first episode of season 3 was truly awful. There are no redeeming characters any more and I've lost interest in all of them. 

Not being able to see half of what was happening didn't help matters. 

I might watch one or 2 more episodes to see if it improves. But I don't have high hopes based on how terrible this was. 

Edited by Duke2801
  • Love 1

It was just too dark to be entertained. I got tired of struggling to figure out what was happening. Has to get better. I don't like working at watching a show.

On 5/30/2017 at 11:11 AM, CouchTater said:

I don't have time to go back and re-watch any of season 2.  And frankly, I don't like this show enough to research it. 

I'm slogging through this season as background noise.  The writing quality has become close to abysmal, IMO. People of privilege doing increasingly stupid things, dropping F-bombs a mile a minute.  I'm curious as to how the show runners resolve this mess, but it is trying my patience.

• Love 1