Type keyword(s) to search

Season 11 Spoilers and Spoiled Speculation

What if they're still filming episode nine of The X-Files, and Chris Carter was just present there, didn't really direct, and that fan on set mistook him for directing? Because the current Scully wig is very similar from another photo supposedly of episode nine.

Guest Cast: ... Chris Owen as Jeffrey Spender

Oh, for fuck's sake, how many dead people are going to be in this thing? 

At least with Spender we never saw a body; if CSM can come back after being a flaming pile of bones, anything is fair game.

2 hours ago, Bastet said:

At least with Spender we never saw a body; if CSM can come back after being a flaming pile of bones, anything is fair game.

Jeffrey is still alive.  He was in Season 9.

(Edit - S9, not S8.  Sorry.)

Edited by Taryn74
24 minutes ago, Bastet said:

For one of the world's most dastardly people, CSM isn't a very good shot, then.

He didn't intend to kill him.  Jeffrey was used for some pretty nasty experiments after S7.

But I'm getting off topic again, LOL.

19 hours ago, Bastet said:

Jeffrey's return was announced all the way back during NYCC. He's also seen in one of the promos, although very quickly, blink and you'll miss him. His face looking normal, or almost normal.

More importantly, screeners have been released to the press. The first five episodes it seems.

The first comments so far are very positive on Twitter, although nothing specific has been revealed yet.

http://tvline.com/2017/12/14/disney-fox-merger-deal-questions-answers/

Will Disney, which already owns ABC, now own Fox, too?

No. The deal does not include the Fox broadcasting network — home to The Simpsons, Family Guy, The X-Files, etc. — or Fox News. Also not included in the deal are Fox Sports 1 or Fox Sports 2. These remaining assets will be spun-off by 21st Century Fox to form a new company.

- - -

Some say the answer is misleading though, saying FOX only owns broadcasting rights to these shows, and Disney will produce them?

Edited by EUROTRASH

From that Indiewire review:

The season premiere, entitled “My Struggle III,” is not good — specifically, it’s not good in the same ways as the previous two “My Struggle” episodes, with slightly better pacing but a few bonus moments of bad choices and confusing plotting.

Following up on the events of the Season 10 finale (to some degree), the Chris Carter-written-and-directed installment is our re-entry point into the show’s completely tangled mythology, but the storytelling is messy and unfocused. In addition, it ends with a reveal that won’t endear the show to longtime fans, and (depending on how the show follows up on it) could prove deeply problematic.

Gee, how surprising.

But, hopefully they're right that once we suffer through CC's mytharc mess, we get to the good stuff:

That’s the bad news. However, there’s some very good news: The following four episodes made available to critics, which follow the case-of-the-week model, represent a true return to form for the series. With a confidence that was lacking in the six episodes that made up Season 10, there are some intriguing mysteries, some eerie moments, solid action, and — praise the Lord and little green men — a fantastic comedy installment written and directed by the always-amazing Darin Morgan.

I haven't read very many reviews, but those I have read all said pretty much the same thing -- this season feels more like classic XF.  Fingers crossed!

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

https://www.forbes.com/sites/merrillbarr/2017/12/18/the-x-files-season-11-review/

Among other things:

The first episode of The X-Files’ 2018 return is bad. It’s as bad as you feared it would be following a cliffhanger that did nothing more than write the show into a corner getting out of was going to be damn near impossible.

It’s the kind of episode that makes one wonder if there’s hope for the franchise anymore. But, then it passes and we move forward.
The best advice one can give fans for the latest run of the Fox favorite is don’t be dissuaded by a premiere that’s going to be one of the most divisive episodes of the series ever produced. Things do indeed get to a place of wonder by the mid-point of the season.

• Love 1
On 12/4/2017 at 1:16 PM, EUROTRASH said:

Most of "My Struggle II" never happened. It all played out in Scully's head starting in the office when the camera zooms into her eye, and ending on the bridge when the camera zooms into her eye the second time. This is further supported by the trailer, "I've seen how it begins.", as well as Carter talking about a "reset" of sorts in the premiere.

I just finished my S10 rewatch, and I kept this in mind as I watched My Struggle II.  It makes so much more sense this way, I don't know why I didn't suspect it before!  (Probably because I only watched it once and didn't spend a lot of time analyzing it, heh.)  MSII plays out like a very condensed version of Steven King's The Stand with an alien twist, it makes sense that it would be a summary of a premonition of what could happen, (and will happen if they don't take steps to change it) rather than things escalated that quickly and Scully was all on the CONSPIRACY! ALIENS! GOVERNMENT TAMPERING! train all of a sudden.  

So the new season begins Jan 3, right?  SO excited.

12 minutes ago, EUROTRASH said:

It's the opening teaser to the season 11 premiere.

Seriously?  Because that's even worse than the first two.  I wish FOX would start greenlighting seasons only with the stipulation that Chris Carter is prohibited from writing any of the episodes.  (Or, for Pete's sake, at least ban his awful VO/stock footage combination.)

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Seriously?  Because that's even worse than the first two.  I wish FOX would start greenlighting seasons only with the stipulation that Chris Carter is prohibited from writing any of the episodes.  (Or, for Pete's sake, at least ban his awful VO/stock footage combination.)

Lol, Haven ain't loving it either.

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Oddly enough, I didn't mind the dialogue from it by comparison. Seriously. Still bad, but at least it didn't make me cringe.

The X-Files - Episode 11.03 - Plus One - Promotional Photos & Press Release

https://www.spoilertv.com/2017/12/the-x-files-episode-1103-plus-one-press.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
16 hours ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

Oddly enough, I didn't mind the dialogue from it by comparison. Seriously. Still bad, but at least it didn't make me cringe.

The X-Files - Episode 11.03 - Plus One - Promotional Photos & Press Release

https://www.spoilertv.com/2017/12/the-x-files-episode-1103-plus-one-press.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Same here, I didn't hate this teaser. Although I find it a bit cheesy, I have learned to look at this whole revival as a soft reboot of sorts, so I will try not to get irritated by such things anymore.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, EUROTRASH said:

Same here, I didn't hate this teaser. Although I find it a bit cheesy, I have learned to look at this whole revival as a soft reboot of sorts, so I will try not to get irritated by such things anymore.

Exactly. It's what a CC teaser is. Nothing more.

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
7 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

As long as it doesn't involve Kathy Griffin in any way, shape, or form.

Heh; yes, any reference to doppelgangers, especially in an episode written by CC, does indeed bring that horrible Fight Club memory to mind.  I'm bummed CC is writing a stand-alone in addition to his mytharc crap this season; he has a better track record with the stand-alones than the mytharcs, but it's still spotty, and I'd really rather he just go away as anything other than executive producer.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Bastet said:

Heh; yes, any reference to doppelgangers, especially in an episode written by CC, does indeed bring that horrible Fight Club memory to mind.  I'm bummed CC is writing a stand-alone in addition to his mytharc crap this season; he has a better track record with the stand-alones than the mytharcs, but it's still spotty, and I'd really rather he just go away as anything other than executive producer.

I'm not a CC apologist (people from Haven know that very well, lol), but I'd argue that he has a fantastic track record with the mytharc episodes from the original series, all the way to the season seven finale. The episodes he's written and co-written, mytharc-related, especially the early ones, rarely get criticized by anyone. Many of them have received enormous praise. The Erlenmeyer Flask, Colony, the whole Anasazi arc, Gethsemane arc, many more. Of course his season ten work is very very problematic, but I'm just saying I don't understand people who assert how he has rarely written anything good. I think it's safe to say that regarding his work on the original series the positive strongly outweighs the negative. My two cents.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, EUROTRASH said:

I'm not a CC apologist (people from Haven know that very well, lol), but I'd argue that he has a fantastic track record with the mytharc episodes from the original series, all the way to the season seven finale. The episodes he's written and co-written, mytharc-related, especially the early ones, rarely get criticized by anyone. Many of them have received enormous praise. The Erlenmeyer Flask, Colony, the whole Anasazi arc, Gethsemane arc, many more. Of course his season ten work is very very problematic, but I'm just saying I don't understand people who assert how he has rarely written anything good. I think it's safe to say that regarding his work on the original series the positive strongly outweighs the negative. My two cents.

Lol, Brookline, is that you?

Yea for me at least up to around s5ish. Some of the s6 stuff was a bit much for me.

I don't either. I liked a lot of his older stuff.

23 hours ago, Bastet said:

That one isn't bad, TvMouse liked it ok enough.

Here's a link to what she said on Tumblr about the new episodes: http://thetvmouse.tumblr.com/post/168556191619/will-you-answer-any-questions-about-the-new

Source: thetvmouse via tumblr

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
On 12/29/2017 at 8:25 PM, Bastet said:

I'm talking about his track record with me, what I like and dislike of his writing.  I don't need to do anything more than that.

Oh ok, cool.

22 hours ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

Lol, Brookline, is that you?

Yes. :)

9 hours ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

Yes, I read a Hollywood Reporter review that argued that CC's stand alone episode, which he wrote but didn't direct, is okay.  I think he's doing too much with these rebooted episodes. 

I'd say the same in regards to the mytharc, but at the end of the day, it's his baby. At least it's only 3 episodes. That's how I look at it. And at least the stand alone episode is supposedly ok.

On 8/2/2017 at 7:11 PM, M.F. Luder said:

TVline says there's some indication that "Scully won't be in the best of shape" at the start of the season. Anyone want to speculate about what that could mean?

In a just universe this would mean girlfriend finally gets a break, puts her feet up, settles in with the Häagen-Dasz Butter Pecan, and binges The Fall (but not Stranger Things) on Netflix.

• Love 2
On 12/31/2017 at 4:40 PM, AntiBeeSpray said:

I'd say the same in regards to the mytharc, but at the end of the day, it's his baby. At least it's only 3 episodes. That's how I look at it. And at least the stand alone episode is supposedly ok.

Sometimes babies need to be removed from their parents due to neglect and abuse. 

From all the reviews, this season seems like it will be passable, but nothing of any significance will happen in regard to the resolution to the mythology or M&S relationship. The only thing that will probably get some decent coverage is William, which personally I have never been interested in, but maybe other fans will think it's great.

Still, I'm excited for the premiere tomorrow! I've adjusted my expectations for this show, and I will just be happy if M&S stop acting like the depressed, personality-free versions of themselves that they've been for the last few iterations of this show. I'd like to see some of the vibrant, dynamic characteristics that they used to have, and that David and Gillian still have. I just really can't take much more of Scully crying about William. 

• Love 2

I've read several reviews saying the dynamic feels more like old-school XF, and Gillian has said the same thing, so I'm hoping that's true.  I love how last season showed so clearly the depth, intimacy, and unbreakable nature of their connection to each other.  And I know their lives aren't exactly sunshine and rainbows, but enough of all depressing, all the time.  It's one of the gazillion reasons I love the Weremonster episode.  "Yeah, this is how I like my Mulder."  Me, too, and my Scully. 

I just don't know how they're going to get back to that if it's another season of William, William, William.  But, we'll see.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I just don't know how they're going to get back to that if it's another season of William, William, William.  But, we'll see.

I suspect it will still be "William, William, William" but that they have figured out a dynamic that makes that work. I've read quite a few glowing reviews, including one this morning in Vox that had me positively giddy. 

What’s striking about watching The X-Files in 2018 is just how rejuvenated it feels. While it’s never going to hit the heights of the third or fourth season from the original series (which aired from 1993 to 2002), the 2018 iteration is a damn sight better than the 2016 one, which boasted some solid installments but also felt like a show in danger of chasing its own tail so rapidly that it might burrow straight down into the Earth.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/1/2/16832058/the-x-files-review-season-11

• Love 1
2 hours ago, M.F. Luder said:

I will just be happy if M&S stop acting like the depressed, personality-free versions of themselves ...

Not for nothin', but for me, the depressed (and depressing), personality-free versions of Moose & Squirrel were those played by Robbie Amell and Lauren Ambrose -- both of whom I have liked in other things.

• Love 3

Alan Sepinwall really didn't like the last revival, but he really likes this one.  So that's good.  

http://uproxx.com/sepinwall/the-x-files-review-season-11-mulder-scully-david-duchovny-gillian-anderson/2/

And The Ringer was practically over the moon with this season.  I've been officially psyched for quite some time.  Now I'm in overdrive. 5 more hours. 

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2018/1/3/16843804/x-files-season-11-age-of-trump

• Love 1

I suspect Sepinwall's take on the first five episodes will turn out to be a rather accurate prediction of how I'll feel about them, what specifically I'll like and not like, so that sounds good, because there's more to like than not.

You can buy and watch the season 11 premiere right now on Amazon video or iTunes. Don't know why they released it earlier. But since it's coming on in half an hour live, I personally don't see a reason to buy it. Just wanted to let you guys know though.