Type keyword(s) to search

Season 11 Spoilers and Spoiled Speculation

On 10/10/2017 at 0:31 PM, Italian Ice said:

Scully can't die, but Gillian says she likely won't be back for a new season of X-Files, but I feel like she says this every single time. It's her bargaining chip. 

I'm in love with the new trailer! It looks like they finally had a coherent idea and a much bigger budget.

Yeah, my feeling is that they all are constantly saying, "I won't be back" until they get what they want. Whatever.

Meanwhile, I really hope that they are able to bring Robert Patrick back. 

• Love 2

I really hope Doggett returns. Too bad miller and einstein could of never been introduced, and we gotten Doggett and Reyes together. If Robert Patrick returned in season 10, then Reyes story might have been done differently. 

I still am not pleased that if Gillian really doesn't return. They wasted wrapping up the mythology with bookends. and all standalone episodes in the middle. Why bother, two episode's is not enough to handle mythology episodes. They need proper 2-part episodes to do it. So I look forward to the monster episodes now.

At TV Line, Michael Ausiello has an interview with Mitch Pileggi re the scenes where Mulder and Skinner fight:

“It’s about Scully,” Skinner’s portrayer tells TVLine, adding that he has long attempted to telegraph to the audience that his short-fused G-man “might have a little crush on Scully” — one that that has led him to have some “resentment toward Mulder.” Combine that with the fact that both characters are “bulls” possessing “a s–tload of testosterone” and fisticuffs are likely to result.

Don't get me wrong, I love Scully, but it has always annoyed me that they did the "every male around her has a crush on her." Separate from her relationship with Mulder, it always struck me as a failure of imagination on the writers' part, as if the men she worked with couldn't respect and admire her without crushing on her.  But anyway, I guess we'll find out when the episodes air. 

To be honest, that never bothered me. I can see why they all were all crushing on her but I always thought she was well respected in the workplace despite the crushes by Mulder, Skinner, Doggett, etc. Sadly I think it would probably be more real life if all the guys were crushing on her and she wasn't well respected at work. I've seen that happen with smart beautiful women.  It does make you wonder if the writers were crushing on Gillian and that's why all the men Scully worked with did too.

Scully is seriously badass, seriously smart, and seriously seriously loyal to her friends.  She could have used Mulder to get to a fantastic career but she stayed honest to her self.  Once Skinner showed he was not a mindless lackey - I believe it was the episode called Trinity? - she became loyal to him (but he could always betray that).  I think she's that rare female that the showrunners crushed on without screwing up the character.

• Love 1

I learned two things today:

1. There will be a Skinner-centric episode.

2. Haley Joel Osment will guest star in it.

Haley Joel Osment is set to guest star in the latest revival of The X-Files, scheduled to premiere next year on Fox. No character details are being revealed, but Osment will feature heavily in the “Skinner”–centric (played by series regular Mitch Pileggi) episode teased at New York Comic-Con.

I thought I read somewhere that DD is directing an episode? Maybe this one is it? Or did I just make that up entirely?

http://deadline.com/2017/10/the-x-files-haley-joel-osment-guest-star-fox-event-series-1202198304/

• Love 2
On 10/23/2017 at 10:03 AM, kassygreene said:

Scully is seriously badass, seriously smart, and seriously seriously loyal to her friends.  She could have used Mulder to get to a fantastic career but she stayed honest to her self.  Once Skinner showed he was not a mindless lackey - I believe it was the episode called Trinity? - she became loyal to him (but he could always betray that).  I think she's that rare female that the showrunners crushed on without screwing up the character.

I don't disagree that they didn't screw up her character but there are other ways for her male colleagues to relate to her without having a crush on her.  In fact, I would argue that for the most part, her relationship with Skinner was one where he respected her for her intelligence and skill.  Part of what has always been great about Skinner is that he cared very much about both Mulder and Scully.  So I hope that they don't make the idea that he has a crush on her too much of a thing.

Honestly, I mostly think this is just a reflection that Scully was the only real female character on the show and that a majority of the writers for the show are men.  There was just an imbalance in the way that they wrote Scully in large part because it was all men writing for a female character, so often, they would get caught up writing about a character they had fallen in love with (while poor Mulder often got neglected!). Part of the reason why I am glad that they have added women to the writers' team is in part because I am hoping that they will shed a different light on Scully as a character.  And also because women writers need more opportunity. 

This show is so devoid of sexuality these days that I'm pretty sure any demonstration of Skinner's crush is going to amount to having a secret photo of her in his wallet. If they want to show that he really likes her, there will be a heart drawn around her face.

On 11/6/2017 at 6:47 PM, M.F. Luder said:

This show is so devoid of sexuality these days that I'm pretty sure any demonstration of Skinner's crush is going to amount to having a secret photo of her in his wallet. If they want to show that he really likes her, there will be a heart drawn around her face.

I don't remember it having much of it. Unless it was uber implied.

For what it's worth, I'm most looking forward to a new Darin Morgan episode:

Carter is particularly bullish about the installment written and directed by Darin Morgan, which he calls “original, smart, funny… everything you expect” from the acclaimed X auteur. Asked to share a tease, Carter pauses, before offering this morsel: “It has a big link to previous X-Files episodes.”

http://uproxx.com/tv/x-files-season-10-season-11-difference/

I saw the Weremonster episode at a screening before the revival season began (along with the first episode, but - meh, and all but forgotten once I saw the Weremonster) and knew immediately that no matter what else happened in the revival season, I'd be glad it happened because of that episode.

So Darin's episode (episodes? I thought he was doing two, although that seems unlikely given how long it takes him to write) is what I'm most looking forward to in this season, too - I love his episodes for their take on the characters and the human condition in general and their intelligent humor, and they can salvage just about anything.

1 hour ago, Neptune said:

mulder-scully-sex-trailer-video/

Hee - now that's a link I will always click on.

It would be a nice bonus if they're back together this season, but their relationship last season was great, so I find myself not caring as much as I once would have; that they love each other deeply and eternally was obvious at every turn, so that they didn't happen to be living together at the time, and maybe weren't even sleeping together at the time, wasn't important to me. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Hee - now that's a link I will always click on.

It would be a nice bonus if they're back together this season, but their relationship last season was great, so I find myself not caring as much as I once would have; that they love each other deeply and eternally was obvious at every turn, so that they didn't happen to be living together at the time, and maybe weren't even sleeping together at the time, wasn't important to me. 

Yep. I almost fell over after reading the head line lol. That said, I wouldn't put it past CC to have it between the doppelgangers, or one of the doppelgangers and the real M or S. And if he did that, I'd be out of there so fast that his head would spin. I got no time for that.

It was only ok if that for me last season. It just didn't click well in parts. Seemed a bit off. I loved them in Glen's ep, Darin's ep and I liked the writing in James's ep. Outside of that, it was rather forgettable to me. *shrug*

Agreed on that. But frankly the 'break up' could have been handled a lot better than it was. I don't even consider it to be canon for what it's worth.

Edited by AntiBeeSpray

This is my first post on this particular discussion board.

Just wanted to say I'm very excited about the new season, with the exception of Darin Morgan's episode and the Skinner-centric one, although I may end up liking those as well. Last season was a disappointment for me pretty much on all fronts, but mainly due to the poorly executed mythology "twist". Whatever happens this time around, I'll try to look at it from a not overly negative perspective.

If Carter wants to tell us that colonization was never intended and was a hoax all long, it would be a huge let down, and IMO impossible to pull off in a believable manner. If, however, he introduces this new layer of conspirators (Erika and Y) in a coherent way, telling us something along the lines of colonization being merely delayed/prevented, and CSM taking advantage of that fact to rule the world, it'd be something that could work, and something I'd be able to enjoy.

That being said, I'm certain the season will be better than the last. The X-Files is after all one of the best shows ever created. The most amazing characters, and fantastic stories. If they could produce high quality material years ago, then I think they can do the same today.

I'm not sure if the posters here are aware, but the season ten cliffhanger resolution was leaked on the Haven boards several months prior to even the official announcement for season eleven. Hard to believe, but true.

22 minutes ago, EUROTRASH said:

I'm not sure if the posters here are aware, but the season ten cliffhanger resolution was leaked on the Haven boards several months prior to even the official announcement for season eleven. Hard to believe, but true.

So what happens with that storyline?  (Assuming it's true; maybe 1013 leaked false info like they did with IWTB, to mix it in with the true info being leaked, in an effort to leave fans unsure what to believe and give up.)

23 minutes ago, Bastet said:

So what happens with that storyline?  (Assuming it's true; maybe 1013 leaked false info like they did with IWTB, to mix it in with the true info being leaked, in an effort to leave fans unsure what to believe and give up.)

Most of "My Struggle II" never happened. It all played out in Scully's head starting in the office when the camera zooms into her eye, and ending on the bridge when the camera zooms into her eye the second time. This is further supported by the trailer, "I've seen how it begins.", as well as Carter talking about a "reset" of sorts in the premiere.

The details are unknown, whether it's a true premonition, or a partial premonition, or totally fake in order to lead her in the wrong direction. What caused it / who induced it, are all questions to be answered.

I posted about this on the IMDb boards before they closed, and very few people believed it. I believe the spoiler itself is true. I'm just unsure whether the eye zoom at the office indicates the start of the dream, or whether it indicates a dream already in progress, in which case it may have started prior to her arriving at the office in the episode.

"Who needs Google when you've got Scully?"  I love it, and that compilation of lighthearted clips was by far my favorite promo thus far (with or without the relationship teasing that bookended it; just the collection of typical MOTW banter made me very happy).

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

Oh I don't think it is a bad thing at all, I think it is funny.  I've always thought he's a shipper. 

Yea considering that CC shot it down, I find it wonderfully funny that he's just ignoring it :p. Me too.

• Love 1
On 12/4/2017 at 11:16 AM, EUROTRASH said:

Most of "My Struggle II" never happened. It all played out in Scully's head starting in the office when the camera zooms into her eye, and ending on the bridge when the camera zooms into her eye the second time. This is further supported by the trailer, "I've seen how it begins.", as well as Carter talking about a "reset" of sorts in the premiere.

The details are unknown, whether it's a true premonition, or a partial premonition, or totally fake in order to lead her in the wrong direction. What caused it / who induced it, are all questions to be answered.

I posted about this on the IMDb boards before they closed, and very few people believed it. I believe the spoiler itself is true. I'm just unsure whether the eye zoom at the office indicates the start of the dream, or whether it indicates a dream already in progress, in which case it may have started prior to her arriving at the office in the episode.

Having just watched My Struggle II, this would work for me.  My major problem with that episode is that the huge and public nature of things feels out of step with XF to me; it's always been covert actions easily denied or covered up, thus the unending quest for proof, but this is a global contagion playing out on international media (and a spaceship over a bridge in the middle of D.C. rather than out in the middle of nowhere).  So if it didn't actually happen, it's just Scully's dream/premonition/whatever, that would make more sense to me, as much as my reflexive reaction to any sort of "it was all a dream" revelation is to roll my eyes and start muttering about Bobby Ewing in the shower.

Plus, while I didn't watch seasons 8 and 9 and thus have no feelings on Monica Reyes, I know many viewers were upset that she was aligned with CSM, so if that was just part of Scully's nightmare, the character would be salvaged.

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Having just watched My Struggle II, this would work for me.  My major problem with that episode is that the huge and public nature of things feels out of step with XF to me; it's always been covert actions easily denied or covered up, thus the unending quest for proof, but this is a global contagion playing out on international media (and a spaceship over a bridge in the middle of D.C. rather than out in the middle of nowhere).  So if it didn't actually happen, it's just Scully's dream/premonition/whatever, that would make more sense to me, as much as my reflexive reaction to any sort of "it was all a dream" revelation is to roll my eyes and start muttering about Bobby Ewing in the shower.

Plus, while I didn't watch seasons 8 and 9 and thus have no feelings on Monica Reyes, I know many viewers were upset that she was aligned with CSM, so if that was just part of Scully's nightmare, the character would be salvaged.

IMO you should watch seasons eight and nine. I personally consider them masterpieces compared to season ten. I see season eight as a very good season actually. Nine is not so good, but again, better than season ten in my view. The thing about Reyes, her "betrayal" might still out to be true in the new episodes. Depends on how much of Scully's vision is true I guess. :)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, EUROTRASH said:

IMO you should watch seasons eight and nine. I personally consider them masterpieces compared to season ten.

I think season ten was good, on average, and have zero interest in watching gestating Scully, coy paternity bullshit, William, and a couple of new people, one of whose most notable characteristic is singing whale songs.  It wasn't until this re-watch that I made it through season seven in its entirety (I had originally started drifting away in season five, and threw in the towel completely at some point during season seven); the show was limping along, at least in terms of the things about it that interest me, and a limited-run season after some time away is much more up my alley at this point.

For season eleven, I anticipate suffering through the mytharc episodes, and generally enjoying the MOTW ones - just as I did in season ten, and in so many seasons before that.  That's why I love the promo that's just banter and monsters; that's how I like my Mulder and Scully.

3 hours ago, Bastet said:

I think season ten was good, on average, and have zero interest in watching gestating Scully, coy paternity bullshit, William, and a couple of new people, one of whose most notable characteristic is singing whale songs.  It wasn't until this re-watch that I made it through season seven in its entirety (I had originally started drifting away in season five, and threw in the towel completely at some point during season seven); the show was limping along, at least in terms of the things about it that interest me, and a limited-run season after some time away is much more up my alley at this point.

For season eleven, I anticipate suffering through the mytharc episodes, and generally enjoying the MOTW ones - just as I did in season ten, and in so many seasons before that.  That's why I love the promo that's just banter and monsters; that's how I like my Mulder and Scully.

I'd take parts of 8 and 9 over it (meaning minus whiny Scully and WTD). Season 10 was underwhelming to me and parts of it felt forced. I would have liked it more if the break up was handled better, fans weren't treated like crap by some of 1013, Fox and CC, and the acting was better in parts.

I can see why you like it for what it's worth though and I wish it would have been handled better.

I do too, when it feels natural and not like a line reading. There were parts of the new preview that felt that way, and parts that didn't, thankfully and I hope that the latter outnumbers the former.

Edited by AntiBeeSpray

The spoiler sounds plausible to me, especially with that picture that's been around of Mulder at Scully's bedside. I'm not sure how I feel about it though. My Struggle II was not very believable to me but I hate the "it was all a dream" thing. Eh, I'll get over it, I'm still pretty excited about the new season.

• Love 1

So does this mean that Scully's been in essentially a waking coma for...a while? In every hospital pic, her eyes are wide open, but unfocused.  I also noticed in one of the newest trailers (the one about not trusting Skinner that came out a couple of days ago), Scully's already out there kicking ass, even though she still has her hospital wristband on.

Edited by Italian Ice
12 hours ago, Bastet said:

Yeah... everyone has his/her reasons for loving the show, and disliking certain parts. I couldn't care less for MOTW at this point. IMO Mulder and Scully have no rational reason to chase pointless monsters any longer, especially not Scully. The reasons given for their return to the FBI in season ten did not much make sense, if any. I want to see these characters finish the journey that started with the pilot. A supernatural version of CSI without any main arc is not how I like my Mulder and Scully.

I don't think there's not much left in terms of character development if you remove the mythology eps, although there are exceptions such as Irresistible, among others. Remove the mythology eps and you essentially remove most if not all things which have lead to the popular "MSR" in the first place. And I don't even watch for MSR.

The pilot was mythology related, the show's tagline is mythology related, the IWTB poster is mythology related, one of the main character's life quest/purpose is mythology related, and William's conception, and birth, is mythology related.

Without mytharc you'd have a pretty standard supernatural version of CSI, NCIS or Criminal Intent, which, again, is not something I am interested in. Many of my favorite episodes are standalones, although I fell in love with the show because of the mytharc, and I'm first and foremost a mytharc fan. These characters would be useless to me without a continuous, connecting storyline.

21 hours ago, EUROTRASH said:

I see season eight as a very good season actually. Nine is not so good, but again, better than season ten in my view.

I agree.  Obviously we can't tell you what to do, @Bastet, LOL, but S8 is actually very good, especially if you treat Monica as a more ditzy Mulder - she has a good heart but she's far too willing to believe just anything that comes along.  But Doggett and Scully together make a really good team and RP acts the hell out of his role.  

I don't really remember any coy 'who's the daddy' stuff?  IMO all the characters played it as though they knew Mulder was the father but were choosing not to make a big deal out of it.  The only one that was a little confused was Mulder himself, when he came back from the dead and found Scully hugely pregnant, but it didn't take long for them to get that sorted out.  (It happened offscreen of course, because CC, but there's a definite shift back to "normal" in their relationship.)

But, anyway.  That's not why we're here, ha ha.

• Love 1

Guys, I didn't even make it through season seven until this year; seasons eight and nine ain't happening.  No one who likes the same things/episodes I do likes those seasons, so I'm not buying something I'm not interested in and probably won't like.

I am getting more excited for season 11 with each weekend that passes, though - watching football on FOX, I see it advertised a lot, and just hearing the theme music causes a completely reflexive smile every time.

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, Taryn74 said:

... S8 is actually very good, especially if you treat Monica as a more ditzy Mulder - she has a good heart but she's far too willing to believe just anything that comes along.  But Doggett and Scully together make a really good team and RP acts the hell out of his role. 

Of course. I don't understand how someone can skip two entire seasons if they care about these characters. It's OK to dislike a season after having seen it.

Season eight, while definitely flawed, still has terrific moments in both standalone and mythology. But again, as I said earlier, we all watch the show for different things and should respect each other's tastes, wants and needs.

I enjoy season eight more than season seven actually. If I had to pick the weakest seasons they'd be S10, S9, S7, with S10 being the absolute worst.

And if someone can tolerate Miller and Einstein they should have absolutely no problems with Doggett and Reyes.

Let's return to the topic though. :)

Edited by EUROTRASH
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

Guys, I didn't even make it through season seven until this year; seasons eight and nine ain't happening.  No one who likes the same things/episodes I do likes those seasons, so I'm not buying something I'm not interested in and probably won't like.

I am getting more excited for season 11 with each weekend that passes, though - watching football on FOX, I see it advertised a lot, and just hearing the theme music causes a completely reflexive smile every time.

Fair enough.

I hope that s11 is good, but I'm kind of dreading parts of it at this point. 

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
6 hours ago, Bastet said:

I am getting more excited for season 11 with each weekend that passes, though

I am too!  Not because of ads (we don't have "normal" TV so the only things I've seen are what's posted here) but just because I know it's getting close!  I'm very excited about the idea that much of what happened in the final episode of S10 was a vision of things to come rather than what was actually happening.  Makes me actually want to rewatch S10, which I have not yet done.  Other than the episode with the Trash Man, which IMO was the best episode of the season.

• Love 1