Type keyword(s) to search

Season 11 Spoilers and Spoiled Speculation

I don't know if this is really spoilers or just plain "media" but it looks like Glen Morgan will write at least two episodes in the upcoming re-revival and Darin Morgan will write one. I suspect Darin will have already gotten started on his given how long it takes him to crank out a script.

One answer we did get was from writer and producer Glen Morgan. We sat down with Morgan on the set of his new series, an adaptation of the popular genre podcast Lore for Amazon (the details of which we’re not yet at liberty to discuss), and he confided that he’ll be jetting off to Vancouver after he wraps production on Lore to begin working on The X-Files.

Morgan, who wrote and directed the season 10 episode “Home Again,” said he’ll be writing two episodes for The X-Files season 11. “I’m going to do two, and I know what one is,” he said.

He added that his brother, Darin, known for penning X-Files classics like “Jose Chung's 'From Outer Space’” and last season’s “Mulder and Scully Meet The Were-monster,” will again write an episode for the series.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/the-x-files/265324/x-files-season-11-glen-and-darin-morgan-to-pen-new-episodes

• Love 1
(edited)
15 hours ago, baileythedog said:

Darin Morgan will write one.

YES!  Then I will have at least one episode to love, and the season will be worthwhile no matter what crap CC churns out.  I hope he's not curled up in the fetal position somewhere, freaking out over how little time he has versus the time it normally takes him, but it's all about me, so -- get to writing, Darin.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

Does anyone have any idea on when we could potentially start seeing some spoilers? If they start filming around the beginning of August, then I would think they would need to have a script written by at least mid-July, right? I'm really looking forward to reliving the speculation and dread that preceded season 10.

(edited)
11 hours ago, M.F. Luder said:

Does anyone have any idea on when we could potentially start seeing some spoilers? If they start filming around the beginning of August, then I would think they would need to have a script written by at least mid-July, right? I'm really looking forward to reliving the speculation and dread that preceded season 10.

I'm relying on others. IMDb is no more. I don't and won't visit The Haven. Not even sure who on earth to follow on Twitter to get spoilers from. So unless 1.) I decide to take a production job up in Vancouver or 2.) it dribbles out into the mainstream press, I think I'm unlikely to ever hear anything. Which, arguably, is a good thing? 

But, to your point, I don't know that we would get many spoilers based on just the scripts. Probably won't hear anything until various smaller roles get cast, etc, and shooting starts. 

Edited by baileythedog

TVline says there's some indication that "Scully won't be in the best of shape" at the start of the season. Anyone want to speculate about what that could mean?

I started thinking about one of my favorite Outer Limits episode where there's an alien transmission that is making the people who listen to it deadly sick and is mutating their skin. People are desperately trying to figure out the cure, but then the twist is that this mutation is actually what saves them from the sun burst that's about to happen that would otherwise kill them. The aliens were actually trying to save humanity.

I think it would be really cool if something like this happened. Scully thinks she and everyone else with alien DNA are immune and the alien virus spreading around the world is the first step in colonization/killing off humans, but it turns out that the alien virus is actually a necessary evil for the survival of the human race. So, season 10 ended with Mulder on the brink of death, but after whatever time period, it's Scully that's sick from whatever is happening.

I know the chances of that happening are 0%, but I'm just trying to get a conversation going :) I don't remember exactly what happened during season 6, but wasn't there some plot point about a rebel alien race that's trying to stop colonization by the bad alien race that the Consortium has been working with?? I could be way off, I didn't really care about keeping track of the mythology by that point.

From that same article:

Also, much like the last revival, rumor has it Season 11 will be bookended by heavy (and hopefully less contrived/cheesy) mythology episodes written and directed by series creator Chris Carter.

That man will never learn, will he?

As for Scully not being in "the best of shape" as it starts - so we left off with Scully attempting to save Mulder (and mankind), and now we're going to open with her needing to be saved?

Yep, sounds like XF.

Nah, I don't know; that info is so vague I can't even come up with where CC might be going with it. 

• Love 1

That man will never learn, will he?

No, he won't, and it's gotten pretty damn annoying at this point. I've already lowered my expectations after season 10. Looks like I'm gonna have to lower them even further.

Edited by Gillian Rosh

So are they really just bookending the season with myth episodes, so we get 8 monsters and just two myths. I don't like that at all, will turn rushed like season 10. I thought with more episodes, it means the we will get at least one 2-part myth episode in the middle of season 11 at least.

3 minutes ago, Neptune said:

The X-Files largely ditching mythology episodes next season

Oh, thank goodness.  I just have to get through the two bookends, and can hopefully enjoy the rest.

From the linked article:

Fox has taken the hint: The X-Files is going to largely avoid its wildly complex mythology episodes next season.

The return of the sci-fi hit for the 2018 season contains 10 episodes, with stars David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson back on board. A full of eight of them will be stand-alone episodes, Fox entertainment chairman David Madden promises. The move comes after last year’s revival received hugely split reviews, with the mythology episodes getting slammed by critics while the stand-alone mysteries were praised.

“We’re really proud of last season,” Madden says. “We had the responsibility to explain to the audience what had happened in the intervening seven or eight years. We’re free from that responsibility this time and can just plunge in and tell the stories. We’re having a lot of fun doing it. Eight of the episodes will be stand-alone stories so they will be classic ‘Mulder and Scully plunging into new adventures.'”

But then my good mood plummets with this tidbit:

Madden also teased a bit about season 11’s storyline. “We start the season right up from where the season finale left off with that big helicopter and takes you right from there,” he says. “You’ll be launched into a very urgent adventure that has a lot to do with William — Mulder and Scully’s kid. so the search for William will be a significant thread through the show.

And we're still finding ways to see dead people, it seems:

You will see the Cigarette Smoking Man [William B. Davis]. You may see The Lone Gunmen somewhere along the line. There will be other characters from the previous mythology that will be reprised.”

• Love 3

Well I'm already dreading the season 11 final. I am probably the only one who thinks book ending the season with mythology episodes is going to be a spell bad writing. If season 10 has shown, rushing mythology episodes to start and end a season doesn't leave enough time for them. I was hoping they would do a 2-parter to open or close the season. 42 mins will not be enough time to finish it off. 

Now I wonder if they are planning or hoping for a season 12. Because I really can't see them ending after season 11 now, especially with only book ending a season with two myth episodes.

So I'm going to enjoy the 8 MOTW episodes now. YAY and go in with low expectations for more rushed myth plots. Fingers crossed we get a sequel to a MOTW from the series. So many good one's I have waited years for a sequel. 

Actually I so hope we get a new MOTW similar to the episodes like Ice, Darkness Falls, Fire Walker or Detour. I am such a fan of those episodes.

This is basically in line with what I would have expected - mytharc bookends and a resolution to William.  So I am not lowering my expectations, though the idea that the entire season deals with William could be a bit tiresome, since the specter of William was a big part of season 10.  I don't want William to become too much like Samantha, where they kept extending the resolution for no reason other than they were a little afraid of wrapping up that story line. 

On the other hand, it was never going to be in the cards that Mulder and Scully live the average life with William as a family, so I guess extending it along makes sense.   

• Love 1

I actually hate the William storyline, but I would be more interested if they tied it back to the old mythology. Specifically, if they revisited the Emily storyline and addressed the fact that Scully's ova were being used to try to create hybrids, it would at least add to the continuity and have a little more emotional impact (at least imo) than the nonsensical William stuff. They could also tie in the fact that Scully has a chip in her neck, and maybe that's related to William's "specialness" somehow.

I saw that some fan posted a picture with Cassandra Spender and said that the actress said she would be in the new season. If that's true, then that makes me a little more interested in the mythology since it's bringing back some old elements. Cassandra's death was only implied, so it's not too much of a stretch to believe that she's still alive. Same with Diana. I would love for her to be brought back too.

10 minutes ago, M.F. Luder said:

I saw that some fan posted a picture with Cassandra Spender and said that the actress said she would be in the new season.

I just Googled Veronica Cartwright, and didn't see any articles about her reprising her role of Cassandra Spender, but I checked her IMDb page and she's listed as being in the first episode, so maybe.

My source was @blmaden twitter account (sorry, I can't link right now). On August 6th, he posted a pic with the actress and said she told him she'd be returning. So, it wasn't an official announcement, and this guy might be making it up. 

The X-Files Season 11: Robbie Amell and Lauren Ambrose Returning

http://tvline.com/2017/08/14/the-x-files-season-11-robbie-amell-lauren-ambrose-returning/

‘The X-Files’: Barbara Hershey Joins Season 11 Of Fox Series

http://deadline.com/2017/08/the-x-files-barbara-hershey-cast-season-11-fox-series-1202148572/

EXCLUSIVE: Barbara Hershey has been tapped for a recurring role on the 10-episode eleventh season of the Fox sci-fi drama The X-Files and second as an event series, following last season’s six-season revival.

Oscar-nominated Hershey will play Erika Price, a powerful figure who represents a mysterious organization. She joins returning stars David Duhovny and Gillian Anderson and co-star Mitch Pileggi.

Edited by Neptune
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Neptune said:

The X-Files Season 11: Robbie Amell and Lauren Ambrose Returning

http://tvline.com/2017/08/14/the-x-files-season-11-robbie-amell-lauren-ambrose-returning/

‘The X-Files’: Barbara Hershey Joins Season 11 Of Fox Series

http://deadline.com/2017/08/the-x-files-barbara-hershey-cast-season-11-fox-series-1202148572/

EXCLUSIVE: Barbara Hershey has been tapped for a recurring role on the 10-episode eleventh season of the Fox sci-fi drama The X-Files and second as an event series, following last season’s six-season revival.

Oscar-nominated Hershey will play Erika Price, a powerful figure who represents a mysterious organization. She joins returning stars David Duhovny and Gillian Anderson and co-star Mitch Pileggi.

Don't really need to see more Miller and Einstein but since we're picking up right when My Struggle II ends, I understand it. Hope they do not feature regularly in the 8 non-Mytharc episodes.

Barbara Hershey is a great addition, though. Now that Diana Fowley's dead, someone has to pick up the pieces, right?

• Love 2

I think Barbara Hershey's character could be the new Deep Throat, Mr X or Marita maybe? If she is recurring, otherwise will only book end the season.

I still think one of the other 8 MOTW's will have some mythology focus like Red Museum, Wetwired or Demons. Not a true Myth episode, but enough that it moves the plot. 

3 hours ago, baileythedog said:

Don't really need to see more Miller and Einstein but since we're picking up right when My Struggle II ends, I understand it. Hope they do not feature regularly in the 8 non-Mytharc episodes.

Barbara Hershey is a great addition, though. Now that Diana Fowley's dead, someone has to pick up the pieces, right?

I hope they don't would of much rather seen Doggett and Reyes teaming up with Mulder and Scully than these two. 

4 hours ago, baileythedog said:

Don't really need to see more Miller and Einstein but since we're picking up right when My Struggle II ends, I understand it.

That's a good reminder.  I don't trust CC as far as I could throw him, so maybe this is in fact more laying the groundwork for an XF 2.0 spinoff/reboot down the road, but I was initially quite irked to hear they were coming back, and then the thought they might just be there to continue the mytharc crap and disappear made me feel better. 

I'd like if Barbara Hershey's character was the next informant, and just hope she's a better character than Marita "Bee Hussssbandry" Covarrubius.  I'm no big fan of Hershey's - I'm not sure I've liked her in anything other than Beaches - so I'm just left as I always am: happy for another female character, and nervous for how she'll be written.

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, M.F. Luder said:

Apparently Dean Hanglund (Langly) was on a podcast today and said that the LGM are going to be on this season and it won't be part of a dream sequence or hallucination. 

Which leaves what?  Flashback or return from the dead?  I enjoyed the Gunmen as much as the next fan, but I'm pretty tired of people conveniently no longer being dead, so I don't want some ridiculous explanation for why we're seeing them.

I had quit watching by the time they died, so I don't know how much wiggle room there is for them.  I saw the scene where CSM died, though, and that dude was even more dead than Howard Graves, so - again, as much as I find him a fantastic villain - I'm irked by his resurrection.  Okay, so you're in a bind because when the show was over you killed off your main villain, and then, oops, the show isn't over.  Too bad; time for Main Villain 2.0.

Has it been reported anywhere that William B. Davis will be back this season?  IMDb has him listed as appearing in the first episode, but there's wrong stuff on there all the time, especially in early stages of production.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

Which leaves what?  Flashback or return from the dead?  I enjoyed the Gunmen as much as the next fan, but I'm pretty tired of people conveniently no longer being dead, so I don't want some ridiculous explanation for why we're seeing them.

I had quit watching by the time they died, so I don't know how much wiggle room there is for them.  I saw the scene where CSM died, though, and that dude was even more dead than Howard Graves, so - again, as much as I find him a fantastic villain - I'm irked by his resurrection.  Okay, so you're in a bind because when the show was over you killed off your main villain, and then, oops, the show isn't over.  Too bad; time for Main Villain 2.0.

Has it been reported anywhere that William B. Davis will be back this season?  IMDb has him listed as appearing in the first episode, but there's wrong stuff on there all the time, especially in early stages of production.

They kind of resurrected CSM with appropriate maiming injuries.  The LGM died in a gruesome but honorable fashion - if I recall correctly, they had to be buried in lead coffins (or was that a fanfic for some other show??).  So I'm not sure they can be re-animated without doing an alternate universe thing (and if it's zombies, I am going to plotz - I hate zombies).

On 8/21/2017 at 8:02 PM, kassygreene said:

They kind of resurrected CSM with appropriate maiming injuries.  The LGM died in a gruesome but honorable fashion - if I recall correctly, they had to be buried in lead coffins (or was that a fanfic for some other show??).  So I'm not sure they can be re-animated without doing an alternate universe thing (and if it's zombies, I am going to plotz - I hate zombies).

Yea they did and it made no sense since he was blown to smithereens. I kind of view the new CSM as nothing more than a clone.

On 8/21/2017 at 8:02 PM, kassygreene said:

The LGM died in a gruesome but honorable fashion - if I recall correctly, they had to be buried in lead coffins (or was that a fanfic for some other show??).  So I'm not sure they can be re-animated without doing an alternate universe thing (and if it's zombies, I am going to plotz - I hate zombies).

If that's the case, they may need to get Frank Black involved again since zombification was a Millennium Group project..  I'd so love another Frank Black X-Files appearance.  Damn, I miss Millennium.

Anyone going to NY's Comicon next month will get a sneak peek of the new X-Files season.

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 8TH

1:00PM-2:00PM – THE X-FILES – Following the explosive events of 2016’s stunning finale, Chris Carter, David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson, and Mitch Pileggi will delight fans when they premiere an exclusive first look of the new 10-episode event series coming January 2018 to FOX! Main Stage

Hopefully we'll get some intriguing spoilers out of that.

http://deadline.com/2017/09/x-files-new-season-sneak-peak-set-ny-comic-con-1202161242/

• Love 2

Next year’s 11th season return of The X-Files will feature an actress who once played the show’s most notorious role.

Karin Konoval (The Planet of the Apes trilogy) previously appeared on the series in 1996 playing a mutant-breeding amputee kept under a bed in “Home.” The episode was so notoriously disturbing that, for years, Fox declined to re-air it. “Home” went on to be considered one of the show’s finest hours.

We’re told Konoval will play multiple roles in a rather scary entry in the new season.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/09/22/x-files-karin-konoval-home/?utm_campaign=entertainmentweekly&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

• Love 1

Some good first look info from Entertainment Weekly:

For a show about experiences that can’t be quantified, The X-Files isn’t lacking numbers: 208 (episodes), two (movies), one (Speedo). But the most significant might be 10 — as in, the 10 new episodes now filming in Vancouver. After ratings for 2016’s six-episode revival soared to UFO-worthy heights, the sci-fi drama will return in early 2018, reuniting David Duchovny’s believer and Gillian Anderson’s skeptic for another run of out-there cases. Along with a first look at the new episodes, series creator Chris Carter gave EW classified intel on what to expect from the 11th season.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/09/29/the-x-files-season-11-first-look-chris-carter/?utm_campaign=entertainmentweekly&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&xid=socialflow_facebook_entertainmentweekly

The first trailer is out.  I'm sure I'll hate with the heat of a nova the William stuff, and the overall tone of this isn't doing anything for me, but there are some individual moments I'm interested in, so we'll see.

• Love 3

Just reading an article about the trailer and I guess the man smoking is a young CSM. Well I guess that should have been obvious to me, but now I'm just meh. I'm not really interested in his backstory, I hope there's not too much of it. CC did say that there are only two mythology episodes. 

6 hours ago, Bastet said:

The first trailer is out.  I'm sure I'll hate with the heat of a nova the William stuff, and the overall tone of this isn't doing anything for me, but there are some individual moments I'm interested in, so we'll see.

Thanks for posting. I've been out all day, but caught this on my phone and have been jazzed ever since. Can't wait. 

Scully can't die, but Gillian says she likely won't be back for a new season of X-Files, but I feel like she says this every single time. It's her bargaining chip. 

I'm in love with the new trailer! It looks like they finally had a coherent idea and a much bigger budget.