Type keyword(s) to search

Season 8: Speculation and Spoilers Discussion

Message added by Meredith Quill

Advisory: This topic is for S8 Spoilers & Spec. If your post predominantly concerns book comparisons or a character's past season actions it will be removed. 

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Do we know what will happen with the Clegane bowl? I just checked out freefolk and they seem pretty sure they will both fall in a fire while fighting and will both die that way. I do not recall seeing that in any of the (f)leafks but honestly there are so many I can't keep track of all of them.

They all say both die, and many say in fire.

I HATE that ending!  Absolutely HATE it.  I love the Hound, I don't want him to die, but above all I don't want him to die in a fire.  That is beyond horrid.

• Love 8
21 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I always figured Jon would sacrifice himself to save a pregnant Dany and she'd end up on the Throne. That would be in alignment with everything we've been building up to, but not a totally picture-perfect ending. 

And it would allow HBO to do a sequel in about 10 years focusing in Jon's child. 

• Love 2

Jon sacrificing himself for Dany and their child would be a true bittersweet ending.  I know this series isn't sunshine and lollipops, but that's something more along the lines of what I expected, not EVERYONE IS DEAD OR MISERABLE, THE END.

• Love 16
(edited)
32 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I always figured Jon would sacrifice himself to save a pregnant Dany and she'd end up on the Throne. That would be in alignment with everything we've been building up to, but not a totally picture-perfect ending. 

Not to sound like a contrarian but that's not a bittersweet ending, but a romantic one. The noble guy sacrificies himself for his loved one. Extra bonus: a baby. Plus the person that was the most obvious to sit on the Throne  s the one to eventually take it. So...predictable imo. That's pretty much the Lost ending that everyone has been using as an example of bad one (because of predictability).

Edited by Bianca Castafiore
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, Fiver said:

Jon sacrificing himself for Dany and their child would be a true bittersweet ending.  I know this series isn't sunshine and lollipops, but that's something more along the lines of what I expected, not EVERYONE IS DEAD OR MISERABLE, THE END.

Logically though, that would mean GRRM wrote thousands of pages (and counting) just to have Westeros revert to Targs in charge, with their very dangerous dragons, and with madness still on the table.

It's beyond my comprehension that he would do that.

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

They all say both die, and many say in fire.

I HATE that ending!  Absolutely HATE it.  I love the Hound, I don't want him to die, but above all I don't want him to die in a fire.  That is beyond horrid.

Yup. Whether or not he's conqured his pyrophobia since the Battle of Winterfell, it's still pretty sadistic. I was hoping he'd get to have a death scene with Arya by his side. This time, she'd stay--and he'd actually die.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, spaceghostess said:

Yup. Whether or not he's conqured his pyrophobia since the Battle of Winterfell, it's still pretty sadistic. I was hoping he'd get to have a death scene with Arya by his side. This time, she'd stay--and he'd actually die.

I'd rather he live.  If anyone has earned it?  He has.

Now, he's just a purely tragic character.

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

Logically though, that would mean GRRM wrote thousands of pages (and counting) just to have Westeros revert to Targs in charge, with their very dangerous dragons, and with madness still on the table.

True.  I guess I'm just a romantic. 😛

• Love 6
(edited)

I'd rather he live.  If anyone has earned it?  He has.

Now, he's just a purely tragic character.

I've thought he was doomed for a long time. I'd have been okay with him making it, but I'm not surprised he won't. Hey, at least he got to grow as a character instead of taking two steps forward, 85 steps back, like Jaime.

ETA: I don't mean to sound flip about your feelings of disappointment re: the Hound's fate. I absolutely feel for you.

Edited by spaceghostess
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Bianca Castafiore said:

Not to sound like a contrarian but that's not a bittersweet ending, but a romantic one. The noble guy sacrificies himself for his loved one. Extra bonus: a baby. Plus the person that was the most obvious to sit on the Throne  s the one to eventually take it. So...predictable imo. That's pretty much the Lost ending that everyone has been using as an example as a bad one (because of predictability).

I actually liked the Lost ending. That being said there are ways you could do it that don't seem so insanely romantic. Such as Jon not knowing he would have a son or just the way they all act. I think it really gives a reason for Jon to have been raised from the dead, a reason we don't have at the moment.

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, Bianca Castafiore said:

Not to sound like a contrarian but that's not a bittersweet ending, but a romantic one. The noble guy sacrificies himself for his loved one. Extra bonus: a baby. Plus the person that was the most obvious to sit on the Throne  s the one to eventually take it. So...predictable imo. That's pretty much the Lost ending that everyone has been using as an example of bad one (because of predictability).

I'd argue the 3er one is the list one, I don't see pitch forks over John during to save danny.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Fiver said:

True.  I guess I'm just a romantic. 😛

Reading those violent and sick-making books drove all the "romance" out of me pretty fast.

Honestly though, I was still hoping Tyrion would find his wife, and although they probably wouldn't have reunited, at least he could have saved her from being a whore now.  OK, actually, I wanted them reunited.  ha. 

I still wonder if that whore Ayra knows IS Tyrion's wife. 

So, I'm not immune to romance either, I just picked a less obvious "ship."  😉

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, BooBear said:

I actually liked the Lost ending. That being said there are ways you could do it that don't seem so insanely romantic. Such as Jon not knowing he would have a son or just the way they all act. I think it really gives a reason for Jon to have been raised from the dead, a reason we don't have at the moment.

I agree with GRRM, I hated it, felt the writers lied to us all along.  I recently read a really good explanation of it though, and it did make me less annoyed.

/off topic

That's one reason this essentially last minute deus ex machina of the 3ER, along with the "heroine" of this show (thanks to the writers) being killed by the good guy "hero" who is her lover and a relative?  Has not been adequately set up in the TV version to go down well with very many people.

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, spaceghostess said:

I wish I could "useful" and "sad" your post simultaneously, but I went with the stronger feeling. I just feel like D&D haven't remembered the books even exist for the past several years. I read a review with David Nutter yesterday that asked him some burning questions about 8.04. His answers indicated that his read on the episode (which must mainly come from the script he was provided) when directing it was pretty shallow and barely informed by past seasons, much less the books themselves. I'll have to see if I can dig it up and post a link.

Here's the Nutter interview I was talking about. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

I recently re-watched Cersei blow up the church with wildfire.

This time I noticed something, or I think I did.  It was very definitely GREEN, and very different than dragon fire.  However, near the end of the scene, the fire burned down and it did look more like  regular or dragon fire. 

Did anyone else notice that?

Did it happen when Tyrion used it?

I'm asking because of the spoilers that someone mistakes the wildfire destruction for Dany's dragon destruction, which I doubted.  I guess though, it could happen if they came late to the fires.

I seriously doubt it though.  I think that one can be dismissed.

ETA, yes, it does turn yellow after the initial green. 

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 3
(edited)
28 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

I recently re-watched Cersei blow up the church with wildfire.

This time I noticed something, or I think I did.  It was very definitely GREEN, and very different than dragon fire.  However, near the end of the scene, the fire burned down and it did look more like  regular or dragon fire. 

Did anyone else notice that?

Did it happen when Tyrion used it?

I'm asking because of the spoilers that someone mistakes the wildfire destruction for Dany's dragon destruction, which I doubted.  I guess though, it could happen if they came late to the fires.

I seriously doubt it though.  I think that one can be dismissed.

ETA, yes, it does turn yellow after the initial green. 

The yellow is all secondary fires... stuff the wildfire set on fire (ships being mostly wood with canvas sails and ropes for rigging.

Yeah, I don't see people confusing the two if they're actually present for the destruction. Basically you'd need zero survivors screaming about green fire to really pass it off as dragonfire.

Another significant difference is that Wildfire is explosive while dragonfire just burns. There's no shockwave from dragonfire; it doesn't do things like hurl pieces of the target hundreds of feet. They may not have modern forensics, but even a layman could tell the difference between "this got blown apart" and "this got melted into slag."

Doesn't mean Cersei wouldn't try it as a last resort to just poison the well on Dany, just that anyone who really wanted to examine things would see it was a setup.

The big question in that case would be "how many would care?" How many would be more than ready to believe the worst about the Dragon Queen and her army of foreign invaders?

I'm more inclined to think Cersei's just flat out miscalculated. She thinks her scorpions give her the advantage and she's just been trying to goad Dany into something that will get her killed and maybe even cast Cersei as the hero who defeated the Dragon Queen. But I think she has completely underestimated the degree of Fire and Blood Dany is still capable of bringing and that will be part of her undoing.

Edited by Chris24601
  • Love 2
57 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

I agree with GRRM, I hated it, felt the writers lied to us all along.  I recently read a really good explanation of it though, and it did make me less annoyed.

/off topic

That's one reason this essentially last minute deus ex machina of the 3ER, along with the "heroine" of this show (thanks to the writers) being killed by the good guy "hero" who is her lover and a relative?  Has not been adequately set up in the TV version to go down well with very many people.

That's the issue, we didn't get a buildup to the rumored ending. If we did then it would still be bad but at least make sense, tgey didn't go that direction, so if tgey do now it'll be a forced mess and every other complaint I made that I've said multiple times.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Raachel2008 said:

Wait, what baby?

Sansa is smart enough to know she has to marry and have children some day, it is the best way to keep the Starks ruling.

As far as Gendry goes, I don’t think it was ever mentioned on the show that Robert was 1/4 Targaryen, so, for all purposes, Dany and Jon are the last.

Didn't Ned tell Robert he had the better claim?

I don’t want Jon  jus’  wanderin’  off into the worst hinterlands ever!  Nor do I want Aarya to leave😢.  My  TWO FAVORITE  characters (aaargh ️)

These two pampered-raised supposed 'writers' are   #!@

• Love 1

Who is that talking in that interview?

The guy who plays barristan.

I'm both happy and surprised that no spoilers came out, last week the entire episode was leaked.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Raachel2008 said:

Sansa is smart enough to know she has to marry and have children some day, it is the best way to keep the Starks ruling.

As of right now, the only Starks with possible babies are Jon and Arya.

• Useful 1
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

So, GRRM has just been lying to his fans all along?  I seriously doubt it.

He's also saying that he's going to finish ASOIAF, soo... lol

Edited by galaxygirl76
  • LOL 3
6 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Precisely why I loathe this endgame. We've had to assume Bran only gets slices of the past, present and future; otherwise it's impossible to excuse how useless he's been in providing his family with information to help defeat the NK and Cersei. So if that's the case, how can he make fair decisions with no context? Is he going to be a puppet with the real decision making going to Tyrion, a la Tywin/Joffrey? He says he doesn't "want anymore," but is that a good thing? What about wanting equality, peace and justice? From what moral compass does he base his rule? What's his lifespan? What happens if/when he dies and has no heirs to take over? Sorry for the rant, but the whole thing is shit. Complete shit. 

He's got an over thousand year lifespan. House Targaryen went through several succession crises in less than 1/3 of the time. Bran's heirs would presumably be Sansa's line of Starks.

--------

But most of this endgame will only make sense in the books where Bran's mentor was the Former Hand of the King who used to rule Westeros as this all seeing spymaster.

His mentor was an archutilitarian that did good through a lot of bad methods. He was an effective ruler though.

The way GRRM seems to have set it up is that Westeros will turn into a peaceful and prosperous police state in the hands of a benevolent God-King. Seems evil but it's way better than living under a feudal monarchy.

• Love 2
(edited)
32 minutes ago, GrailKing said:

As of right now, the only Starks with possible babies are Jon and Arya.

I didn’t say right now, but in the future. If Sansa’s ending is Lady of Winterfell/Warden of the North/Whatever  ruling in the North, the best way to secure that the Starks will always be the ones ruling of having heirs. We know Jon leaves to live up North and that Arya leaves Westeros. Sansa doesn’t know but she is not stupid: she knows Bran is crippled and that Arya will not settle for being a lady and raising heirs. And Jon is a Targ and she knows it. 

Edited by Raachel2008
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Oscirus said:

You still have that madness gene up and alive.  If madness is passing from generation to generation as is being insinuated, then it needs to end with Dany

AND JON.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Raachel2008 said:

I didn’t say right now, but in the future. If Sansa’s ending is Lady of Winterfell/Warden of the North/Whatvwe ruling in the North, the best way to secure that the Starks will always be the ones ruling of having heirs. We know Jon leaves to live up North and that Arya leaves Westeros. Sansa doesn’t know but she is not stupid: she know Bran is crippled and that Arya will not settle for being a lady and raising heirs. And Jon is a Targ and she knows it. 

I agree, but Arya could also leave her child in Sansa's hands, and bring it up .

Whether either wants Gendry to know ?

5 minutes ago, Andromeda said:

AND JON.

True, but less of a chance, Jon's only 1/2 Targ.  Dany is full Targ.

Also, Dany furious and acting out is more believable to me than full mad...but we shall see.

5 minutes ago, GrailKing said:

I agree, but Arya could also leave her child in Sansa's hands, and bring it up .

Whether either wants Gendry to know ?

I also don't think that's the last time Arya plans to have sex.

I do think calm, planning, careful, thoughtful Sansa will realize she needs a child, so there is that.

• Love 1
(edited)
10 minutes ago, Andromeda said:

AND JON.

I think people also forget that not all Targaryen's ended up going mad. Here's the quote:

"Every time a new Targaryen is born, he said, the gods toss the coin in the air and the world holds its breath to see how it will land."

Just because someone was a Targaryen it didn't mean with 100% certainty that they would go mad. That's why I'm not buying the show version of Dany goes mad - because there has been little to no concrete buildup. Ditto for the books. In fact, there's a long list of Targaryen's who didn't go mad, including Aemon and Rhaegar, so it's totally cheap to suggest that just because Dany and Jon are Targaryen's that they will or must eventually go mad. 

Also, I don't see any of the Starks (at least Ned's kids) having children. Arya doesn't seem interested, it's been implied that Sansa has some sort of permanent damage due to Ramsay Bolton, and Bran is well......Bran. I think that would be a great bittersweet ending, the current pack survives but there is no next generation. 

Edited by ShellsandCheese
  • Love 5
(edited)
3 minutes ago, ShellsandCheese said:

I think people also forget that not all Targaryen's ended up going mad. Here's the quote

"Every time a new Targaryen is born, he said, the gods toss the coin in the air and the world holds its breath to see how it will land."

Just because someone was a Targaryen it didn't mean with 100% certainty that they would go mad. That's why I'm not buying the show version of Dany goes mad - because there has been little to no concrete buildup. Ditto for the books. In fact, there's a long list of Targaryen's who didn't go mad, including Aemon and Rhaegar, so it's totally cheap to suggest that just because Dany and Jon are Targaryen's that they will or must eventually go mad. 

Yeah, but Jon is descended from a sane Targ, while Dany's father WAS mad, and as I said above, Dany is full Targ.  Jon is 1/2 Stark.

I'd rather have her just be ruthless and furious, and yes, murderous, so she would be like most of the male assholes determined to be King. 

Edited by Umbelina
typo
  • Love 4
13 minutes ago, Andromeda said:

AND JON.

Fair enough, but if Jon is taking the black anyway, that problem takes care of itself.

This last gen was what two out of three with the unaffected oldest kid just being a narcisstic moron. 

1 minute ago, Umbelina said:

Yeah, but Jon is descended from a sane Targ, while Dany's father WAS mad, and as I said above, Dany is full Targ.  Jon is 1/2 Stark.

I'd rather have her just be ruthless and furious, and yes, murderous, so she would be like most of the male assholes determined to be King. 

Rhaegar and Dany have the same father. The former was never described as mad, and thus it goes to my point that Dany is not doomed to go mad just because of who her father was. And again, there's a huge difference between being ruthless, furious, and even murderous and mad. Aerys II descent into madness at least in the books is pretty fleshed out - and Dany's behavior doesn't even compare. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Umbelina said:

Well, technically the book and series started with a Baratheon in charge.  But I agree, I never expected Daenerys to end up on the Iron Throne.  Mostly because of the Azor Ahai/Nissa Nissa prophecy, I expected there to be some sort of situation which required Dany's sacrifice, and the bittersweet ending that Jon would take the throne, but lost his love in the process.  Not that Dany has to die because, well, bad genes.

Another more palatable ending would be for Dany to realize she doesn't want the Iron Throne because she is a stranger in Westeros, and decides to return to Essos.  I know some consider that out of character, but I consider such a reasonable consideration to be more in character than full madness/megalomania.

• Love 3
(edited)

FWIW ... maybe a heavy hint that this is Jaime's last episode?

ETA: if it is thank you Nikolaj Coster-Waldau for 8 seasons of superb performances that made Jaime really a flesh and blood person. 

Edited by Growsonwalls
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, spaceghostess said:

You guys? I'm now worrying that Jon will start killing Dany and then she'll tell him she's pregnant when it's too late for him to un-kill her.

My exchange w/the show if that happens:

I'd Better Go meme.jpg

P.S. I learned to make a meme just for this post. . . so thanks, GoT?

Great, now all I can think about is if a squirrell somewhere is wondering if he left the gas on. 

I'm also dreading if they do the Jon kills Dany thing. I'm far from a Dany stan, but that's a shit outcome for both of their characters. 

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, ShellsandCheese said:

I don't see any of the Starks (at least Ned's kids) having children. Arya doesn't seem interested, it's been implied that Sansa has some sort of permanent damage due to Ramsay Bolton, and Bran is well......Bran. I think that would be a great bittersweet ending, the current pack survives but there is no next generation. 

When it was implied Sansa can’t have children?

And what Arya’s child?

8 minutes ago, ShellsandCheese said:

Rhaegar and Dany have the same father. The former was never described as mad, and thus it goes to my point that Dany is not doomed to go mad just because of who her father was. And again, there's a huge difference between being ruthless, furious, and even murderous and mad. Aerys II descent into madness at least in the books is pretty fleshed out - and Dany's behavior doesn't even compare. 

Exactly, that is why I say I hope she's furious-mad and not full on nutso.  That part of the spoilers could be a mistake.

3 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Well, technically the book and series started with a Baratheon in charge.  But I agree, I never expected Daenerys to end up on the Iron Throne.  Mostly because of the Azor Ahai/Nissa Nissa prophecy, I expected there to be some sort of situation which required Dany's sacrifice, and the bittersweet ending that Jon would take the throne, but lost his love in the process.  Not that Dany has to die because, well, bad genes.

Another more palatable ending would be for Dany to realize she doesn't want the Iron Throne because she is a stranger in Westeros, and decides to return to Essos.  I know some consider that out of character, but I consider such a reasonable consideration to be more in character than full madness/megalomania.

Yes, but Dany hasn't grown that much, she still fully believes she's the be all and end all and that it's her "destiny" EVEN will all evidence to the contrary (no flowers and immediate love by all of Westeros) AND she knows she's not the rightful heir after all.

If Dany HAD grown, and if she wasn't just power mad, and fury mad, and she wasn't a hypocrite, she would have IMMEDIATELY taken the knee to Jon.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Yeah, but a Baratheon that is only King because he helped defeat the Targs, which they talk about endlessly.

8 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

ETA: if it is thank you Nikolaj Coster-Waldau for 8 seasons of superb performances that made Jaime really a flesh and blood person. 

Hear hear!  

In my far flung and unrealistic imagination Brienne is left with child with Jamie, and eventually goes home to Tarth with said child and starts a school for women squires and knights...with guest lectures by Arya. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 13
2 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

If Dany HAD grown, and if she wasn't just power mad, and fury mad, and she wasn't a hypocrite, she would have IMMEDIATELY taken the knee to Jon.

Maybe, but Jon doesn't want it.  I would have appreciated a marriage where they could co-rule or Jon ruling (since he has the better claim) with Dany as his queen.  But that doesn't appear to be in the cards. 

I don't like the idea of her simply being furious-mad, because that definitely installs her as the villain.  And Dany has never gotten the villain edit.  I'm sure it would make it harder for Jon to kill her too, over basically a difference of opinion. 

Instead we get this "Well, mental illness is a bad thing" ending, and Jon has to put her down like a dog.  There's another possible ending:  Dany has a total nervous breakdown, and Jon takes her away with him to exile, with a sort of nod to the waterfall scene where they said they'd like to stay there forever.  After all, we don't kill the mentally ill in our society today, that's considered too cruel.

• Love 2
Just now, CherryMalotte said:

Hear hear!  

In my far flung and unrealistic imagination Brienne is left with child with Jamie, and eventually goes home to Tarth with said child and starts a school for women squires and knights...with guest lectures by Arya. 

I totally stan that ending. 

Seriously I read that the writers had no idea Jaime was going to be such a huge fan favorite when they started. And much of that credit goes to Nikolaj Coster-Waldau's humanity as an actor. 

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Seriously I read that the writers had no idea Jaime was going to be such a huge fan favorite when they started. And much of that credit goes to Nikolaj Coster-Waldau's humanity as an actor. 

I've been mostly complaining about Dany's (apparently senseless) death.  But there are a lot of wastes of good characters going on here.  Jaime's being one, Yara, Missandei, the Hound, just to name a few more.  Theon at least got a good arc, as did Melisandre.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

I totally stan that ending. 

I've been in love with him since I saw him in Bent, in about 1998 or so. Then soon I realized not only was he beautiful, he could really act too. He's done Jaime justice and gave him real depth and humanity. Just like Lena Heady did to Cersei. There are many faults with this show but the actors almost all bring their A game to their roles. I hope some at least get the ending they "deserve" .

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, rmontro said:

I've been mostly complaining about Dany's (apparently senseless) death.  But there are a lot of wastes of good characters going on here.  Jaime's being one, Yara, Missandei, the Hound, just to name a few more.  Theon at least got a good arc, as did Melisandre.

You could argue Jorah did as well as he died defending the woman he loved AND died in her arms. 

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Maybe, but Jon doesn't want it.  I would have appreciated a marriage where they could co-rule or Jon ruling (since he has the better claim) with Dany as his queen.  But that doesn't appear to be in the cards. 

I don't like the idea of her simply being furious-mad, because that definitely installs her as the villain.  And Dany has never gotten the villain edit.  I'm sure it would make it harder for Jon to kill her too, over basically a difference of opinion. 

Instead we get this "Well, mental illness is a bad thing" ending, and Jon has to put her down like a dog.  There's another possible ending:  Dany has a total nervous breakdown, and Jon takes her away with him to exile, with a sort of nod to the waterfall scene where they said they'd like to stay there forever.  After all, we don't kill the mentally ill in our society today, that's considered too cruel.

Hopefully not.

In Dany's supposed compass, it wouldn't MATTER what Jon wanted, he's still the rightful King, and she told him not to tell.  So that whole divine right thing she has going here?  Is bullshit.  It dramatically showed her hypocrisy.  She didn't even try to convince him what a good King he would be.

They are putting Dany through hell, if the spoilers are right.  So many losses in such a short time, including her right to the title, Jorah, the dragons, Missandei, 1/2 of her forces.  I'm still hoping it's her temper (which we HAVE seen) and not full on madness, but we shall see.

• Love 3