Type keyword(s) to search

Season 8: Speculation and Spoilers Discussion

Message added by Meredith Quill

Advisory: This topic is for S8 Spoilers & Spec. If your post predominantly concerns book comparisons or a character's past season actions it will be removed. 

• Start Topic

(edited)
17 minutes ago, SeanC said:

I wonder if the scroll has something to do with Tyrion’s supposed betrayal that leads to his execution.

That seems to be the best guess. Maybe Sansa produces a key piece of evidence at the scene where Tyrion's treason is revealed. 

It's an interesting contrast between the storyboard of Sansa's last scene (which Sophie hung in her apartment), Maisie's Arya storyboard gift (which she hid on strict instructions from D&D, instructions they don't seem to have given to Sophie), and the S8 scroll (which Sophie buried in her wallet so no one would see it).

One possibility is that the scroll is from Sansa's last scene. There's nothing inherently spoilery about an image of Sansa reading or writing a scroll, since the storyboard wouldn't show the text on the scroll, and Sophie could confidently hang that storyboard in her home without worrying about anyone realizing anything.

Freefolk posters have noticed that in the new picture Sansa is standing in the library, preparing to receive someone, and the background is the same as the picture of Dany sitting at a table in the library and smiling at someone. If it is the same scene, it seems like there's some sort of rapprochement between Dany and Sansa, although that Sansa/Dany scene would have to be from 8x02, since in 8x01 Jon is asking Arya to help him with Sansa's dislike of Dany and Friki didn't mention any Sansa/Dany scenes where they're alone together.

Edited by Eyes High
31 minutes ago, anamika said:

Deserted WF with Dragonglass arrow , Tyrion's pin , Needle ,The Feather Robert put on Lyannas tomb , Bran's broken wheelchair, Jaime's golden hand ,Daenerys chain ,Longclaw .

Damn, that was eerie. Chills.

• Love 2
(edited)

Sophie looks fantastic in the new dress. If it's the same scene as the Dany pic, poor Dany is just trying to get along with her boyfriend's family and Sansa's all "bitch please."

Sophie and Maisie were on GMA this morning. Again both adorable. I want to be their friend and hang out with them. 

Edited by Minneapple
  • Love 2
(edited)
30 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

Sophie looks fantastic in the new dress. If it's the same scene as the Dany pic, poor Dany is just trying to get along with her boyfriend's family and Sansa's all "bitch please."

Sophie and Maisie were on GMA this morning. Again both adorable. I want to be their friend and hang out with them. 

She looks beautiful. Her Harper bazaar photo shoot was almost too gorgeous too look at 😍😍😍😍

Yeah Sansa is not looking good character wise in these promotions. I don’t get this and I never do... for all that Bryan Cogman and D and D say they love her character so much they certainly do her no favors when it comes to pre season promotions. They always hype her as the Stark who is causing conflict, dissent and trouble for our “ nicer and heroic” protagonists.  She is always hyped as Cersei 2.0 even if it’s not actually delivered and it’s getting annoying.

I’m actually defending Sansa here because I feel there is a level of sexism or some type of misogyny involved that they feel they have to constantly use their most popular female characters every season to promote the show in a dramatic  “soap opera way”. Like of course the women’s will be bitchy!!! 🙄

I mean,  did they hype up the Sam and Jon conflict? That’s a real one. Sam, as loyal as he is to Jon, might  actually be upset that Dickon is dead. Not Randall obviously, but Dickon. Jons in love with the woman who killed his brother. That’s a real conflict. Jorah owes Sam his life. Interesting conflict. Jaime is coming to Winterfell and has to face the Stark children he doesn’t even know are alive. Bran who he tried to MURDER. Real conflict. But has any of that been talked about or promoted? No: Instead  we get hints of Sansa and Dany “ drama” and obvious whoring out to the ship wars by hbo and the media.  They are aware of what’s happening on twitter with Jonsa and Jonerys and are feeding in to this controversy with promotions and the marketing. 

Edited by GraceK
  • Love 13
19 minutes ago, GraceK said:

Yeah Sansa is not looking good character wise in these promotions. 

Shrug. I think she's fine. I wouldn't expect her to be pleased with Dany or Jon so whatever. The idea that she would welcome Dany with bells on isn't in character at all. She doesn't trust anyone, especially outsiders, and at the very least it reminds her of another monarch come to Winterfell many years ago. 

• Love 6
(edited)
33 minutes ago, LadyChaos said:

Is that suppose to be LongClaw.....because Long Claw's eyes are red, not black....... so .... trick of the light maybe? Or something else?

fullsizeoutput_b8a.jpeg

To me, that just looks like the front of Jon's boiled leather tunic-thingy with the light hitting it in a weird way. Possibly there's some damage to the area that's laced up there. He keeps Longclaw at his hip when he's not using it; I don't think he'd hide it under his shirt with the eye peeking out, but hey, I've been wrong before.

ETA: Kit's poor hair in that photo. Mine is similarly curly; humidity is not kind and often results in that level of frizz halo. I'm always astonished at how consistently good his looks on the show. Product, product, product (and credit to the stylists, of course)!

Edited by spaceghostess
"Longclaw" = proper noun
(edited)
24 minutes ago, GraceK said:

I’m actually defending Sansa here because I feel there is a level of sexism or some type of misogyny involved that they feel they have to constantly use their most popular female characters every season to promote the show in a dramatic  “soap opera way”. Like of course the women’s will be bitchy!!! 🙄

It's pretty sad when Sansa and Dany have lived through similar experiences that could bring them closer. They were sold by people they trusted. They were abused and raped. 

All this has done is turn me off of the Sansa character especially. And it sort of sucks because I like book!Sansa.

I don't expect the warm and fuzzies, but I'm just so over the cattiness.

24 minutes ago, GraceK said:

She is always hyped as Cersei 2.0 even if it’s not actually delivered and it’s getting annoying.

I don't know why anyone would want to hype someone as Cersei 2.0. Cersei is paranoid and straight up crazy and has overstayed her welcome.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 8
(edited)
27 minutes ago, GraceK said:

She looks beautiful. Her Harper bazaar photo shoot was almost too gorgeous too look at 😍😍😍😍

Yeah Sansa is not looking good character wise in these promotions. I don’t get this and I never do... for all that Bryan Cogman and D and D say they love her character so much they certainly do her no favors when it comes to pre season promotions. They always hype her as the Stark who is causing conflict, dissent and trouble for our “ nicer and heroic” protagonists.  She is always hyped as Cersei 2.0 even if it’s not actually delivered and it’s getting annoying.

Well, the good news is that if they're promoting Sansa's dislike and distrust of Dany out the gate--and in fact that seems to be the main storyline point being promoted, along with the battle of Winterfell--then I think that means that it won't last. Hopefully Dany won't need to lose most of her armies and one or more of her dragons to the White Walkers in order for Sansa to warm to her, but it may well come to that.

The two Sansa S8 costumes that we've seen--the scale dress and this new Unsullied look--seem to point towards Sansa being distrustful and cautious. Sophie described Sansa as "protective" a few times, and this is reflected in her clothing: protective of Winterfell against the perceived Targaryen threat represented by Dany, but also self-protective, I think. 

...If Sansa were going to have any kind of romantic arc in S8, I would have expected her S8 costuming to be softer and less "don't touch me" than her S7 costuming was (as per Michele Clapton). But instead Sansa seems to have doubled down with this armour bit and the scale dress (which is from later in the season as far as I can tell). So it looks like Sansa will be single for the remainder of the show, which is more or less where things seemed to be headed anyway.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 4
20 minutes ago, spaceghostess said:

ETA: Poor Kit's hair in that photo. Mine is similarly curly; humidity is not kind and often results in that level of frizz halo. I'm always astonished at how consistently good his looks on the show. Product, product, product (and credit to the stylists, of course)!

I think it helps that they have the make up artist and hair stylist just on the other side of the camera, waiting for the director to call cut so they can step in and fix everything.

1 minute ago, LadyChaos said:

I think it helps that they have the make up artist and hair stylist just on the other side of the camera, waiting for the director to call cut so they can step in and fix everything.

Absolutely. I could use the same in my daily life; alas, no volunteers.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I've enjoyed this show a lot, and the genre really isn't for me usually, but if they have the living mounting a minimally successful retreat in any numbers from Winterfell, back to KL, in freezing weather, little food, that'll be the dumbest military story element in this show that has had too many really dumb military story elements. Either the NK gets whacked at Winterfell, or all the living get whacked, less those who escape on a dragon. Having those few fly back south, and then mount a successful defense against the NK, really isn't any better. Unless the story is everybody dies/is zombified, the NK's gotta get clipped at Winterfell, for this to make any sense, even in this genre. Hopefully, after episode 4, the story turns to solely dealing with Cersei and whatever allies she still has. Having the Iron Bank switch sides, pulling the GC back in a repo, would be pretty hilarious.

• Love 3
(edited)
30 minutes ago, Bannon said:

Unless the story is everybody dies/is zombified, the NK's gotta get clipped at Winterfell, for this to make any sense, even in this genre. Hopefully, after episode 4, the story turns to solely dealing with Cersei and whatever allies she still has. Having the Iron Bank switch sides, pulling the GC back in a repo, would be pretty hilarious.

When I think about it, if NK dies in E3 or E4, then everything returns to this human drama. And in that case Tyrion betraying Daenerys for his family makes far more sense. There is no existential threat anymore. 

BuT my problem with NK being gone in the North is that it proves that Cersei, Joffrey, Tywin and everyone else in the South was right. That wasn't their problem. There was no reason to care about AOTD. 

Edited by nikma
8 minutes ago, nikma said:

When I think about it, if NK dies in E3 or E4, then everything returns to this human drama. And in that case Tyrion betraying Daenerys for his family makes far more sense. There is no existential threat anymore. 

BuT my problem with NK being gone in the North is that it proves that Cersei, Joffrey, Tywin and everyone else in the South was right. That wasn't their problem. There was no reason to care about AOTD. 

Well, that assumes that there wasn't a large element luck in the defeat of the NK. There is nothing "wrong" with the Lannister Army sitting out the fight with the NK, and the surviving living taking their revenge on the Lannisters. There is a whole lot wrong with any of the living who can't climb on a dragon's back being able to make a retreat from Winterfell, in terrible weather, minimal food, all the way to KL, with an army that neither needs food or sleep in pursuit. That wil be a really, really, really, really stupid story line, massively more dumb than Gendry running back to the Wall, to send a raven to Dany, so she can fly to the rescue.I really hope this season is better written than that.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, tangerine95 said:

I really can't imagine the NK is dealt with in 3 episodes and one battle after all the build up.Imo no way that happens.I believe the AoTD will reach KL and that will be the final battle.

You may be right that they wrote it that way, but it is just ridiculously nonsensical, even in the fantasy genre. 

Or maybe the simple solution will be that AOTD is defeated at WF, but the NK is not, so he just goes south and makes new AOTD. Lol

So there will be no need to retreat from WF, but it will be Phyric victory for Dany and Jon. 

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, nikma said:

Or maybe the simple solution will be that AOTD is defeated at WF, but the NK is not, so he just goes south and makes new AOTD. Lol

So there will be no need to retreat from WF, but it will be Phyric victory for Dany and Jon. 

Sure, if they could cook up some mechanism which kills off the zombies at WF, but leaves the NK alive for a final confrontation at KL, I suppose that might work, at least work better than a retreat on the ground from WF. 

• Love 1

Unfortunately, I still strongly suspect that, in a direct ripoff of Tolkien, Bran is going to have a Gandalf Summons the Eagles moment, which proves decisive against the aotd. Given that's about the worst plot development in the 4 Tolkien books I read as kid, I hope I'm wrong.

• Love 2
(edited)
33 minutes ago, Notwisconsin said:

how about the Iron Bank gets taken over by the NK?

The ultimate example of vulture capitalism!

Edited by Bannon
  • LOL 3
32 minutes ago, nikma said:

My thinking also, he splits heads to KL for 1 million souls.

• Love 1
On 4/1/2019 at 1:52 PM, Minneapple said:

At first I thought this was an April Fools joke, but it appears to be legit? Right now the only source is NFL reporter Ian Rapoport. I don't know. I hate April Fools Day.

LA Chargers defensive end Joey Bosa will make a cameo on GoT

As a fellow Buckeye, this would be awesome...although I would hope it wouldn't be a speaking role,  as I'm not sure he would be able to pull off the accent.  

1 hour ago, Eyes High said:

That’s a theory, certainly, but did Sophie say that?

No, Sophie said in another interview on what she took and she mentioned her corset, she then mentioned a director or prop person asked do you want the scroll and she said yes, but nobody knew about it because she kept it in her pocketbook as it's a S8 spoiler.

One of a number of fleaks, mentions Sansa intercepts a message.

“Dany and Jon are contemporaries, they are incredibly similar in many, many ways, and he brings out a certain truth in her that you haven’t seen since Khal Drogo. And I think this season really explores that.

We’re at the end of the series, each character is coming into this season with their own needs, with their own goals. Without saying anything, you know that’s going to be a tension-filled season”  - Emilia Clarke.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, anamika said:

Dany and Jon are contemporaries, they are incredibly similar in many, many ways,

Well sure, that's what happens when you share a lot of the same DNA. 

I'm (mostly) kidding about that but I'm not sure I agree with her statement.  Sure, they're both good people but Dany has really wanted to become queen of the Seven Kingdoms and rule.  Jon has always come across as someone who would rather faithfully follow the orders of an honorable superior (Ned, Jeor Mormont) instead of being the person in charge.  While the circumstances are different Dany has always fought to claim what she thinks is hers, no matter how crappy things got - Jon was ready to peace out and get a tan on a beach after his traumatic experience before Sansa showed up.

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

Jon has always come across as someone who would rather faithfully follow the orders of an honorable superior (Ned, Jeor Mormont) instead of being the person in charge. 

That's show!Jon, book!Jon was a lot more ambitious and overall interesting. But thanks to D & D's formulaic writing, Jon's layers have peeled away to make room for Sansa.

Edited by ursula
  • Love 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

I'm (mostly) kidding about that but I'm not sure I agree with her statement.  Sure, they're both good people but Dany has really wanted to become queen of the Seven Kingdoms and rule.  Jon has always come across as someone who would rather faithfully follow the orders of an honorable superior (Ned, Jeor Mormont) instead of being the person in charge. 

That's because it was not part of his upbringing. Robb was the one who was raised and groomed to become the lord and the one who was raised to lead men. Jon would have become a bannerman at best if Ned had ever resettled the Gift, which meant he would have had to follow orders. And he's a bastard, so there's also that.

If Jon had known who his biological father was and what that actually meant from the moment he understood what that meant, would his take on things have been a different one? Book!Jon is a little more ambitious than his show counterpart. He thinks that a man can rise high in the NW and when he comes down from his disappointment of not being named a ranger and realizes that yes, he is being groomed for command, he's actually happy.

Dany has the benefit of knowing who she is and where she comes from. 

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 7
(edited)

I think show Jon also had ambitions and wanted to lead.In season 1 he was upset about becoming the Lord Commander's steward until San points out he's grooming him for command one day.I also remember Mormont asking Jon if he wants to lead and Jon confirmed he did.He also seemed pretty glad to be chosen as LC.Imo he did want leadership positions but when he got them it was such horrible and extreme situations all the time that anyone would get tired of it.And to make it worse he literally got killed.I can't blame him for wanting to leave everything behind tbh.

Edited by tangerine95
  • Love 6

Gwendoline Christie on GMA, about the finale:

"At the final episode, I put it down with a very heavy heart, digesting everything that occurred, and some things are put to rights, and some things truly are not."

14 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

Gwendoline Christie on GMA, about the finale:

"At the final episode, I put it down with a very heavy heart, digesting everything that occurred, and some things are put to rights, and some things truly are not."

Cersei survives confirmed, gah.

For me, Jon and Dany's ambition is similar in nature more than in degree. They both like to lead, but more in terms of what it allows them to do and how it frees them from limitations and unfair obsolete rules imposed by others. They're also both able to set that ambition and their personal goals aside for the common good, unlike the Cerseis and Littlefingers of the world.

• Love 3
(edited)

I can't make out anything in that video clip. Oh well. A poster on Reddit was there. The person said that Friki's leak was correct and is writing up the plot details to post. Can't wait.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1
(edited)
2 minutes ago, GrailKing said:

Rumor Mill :

As per this person, Jaime meets Bran at the end of the episode! So Jaime IS in this episode.

RIP Ned Umber.

Edited by anamika
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

I can't make out anything in that video clip. Oh well. A poster on Reddit was there. The person said that Friki's leak was correct and is writing up the plot details to post. Can't wait.

Aerial view of KL , not the best quality, but the opening is different.  

• Love 1
(edited)

I still would love to know who Friki's source is. It must be someone who saw the episode and gave Friki the details. But when did they see the episode? Must be during the editing process. That would explain why Friki missed the Jaime bit. 

Edited by SimoneS

So we’ve got confirmation (seemingly) of dragonrider Jon.  That’s something I briefly thought the show might skip over, between them making it seem like Dany can remote control the dragons she’s not riding and the death of Viserion torpedoing the dragonrider destiny of Tyrion (though it seems that’s to be the least of Tyrion fans’ disappointments with the ending, per these reports).

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, SeanC said:

So we’ve got confirmation (seemingly) of dragonrider Jon.  That’s something I briefly thought the show might skip over, between them making it seem like Dany can remote control the dragons she’s not riding and the death of Viserion torpedoing the dragonrider destiny of Tyrion (though it seems that’s to be the least of Tyrion fans’ disappointments with the ending, per these reports).

Supposedly they saw E1 and E 2, maybe more leaks in the days.

(edited)

The Reddit poster who gave the spoilers above is answering posters' questions. Below the questions and his responses in quotes so far.

Did Theon rescue Yara? How? Thanks

Edit: he PMed me. For any other Theon fans, Theon breaks into Eurons ship easily at night and saves her. Then he rides North to Jon.

Mr_Freeload: Strickland is introduced and that’s about it.

Castle black has about two minutes of coverage and it’s only when they find the Umber corpse/wight. Nothing too serious

No sign of Edmure or Robin

How would you describe Jon and Danys relationship? And do they call eachother by their first names? Or still your grace and my lord?

Mr_Freeload: They don’t have many scenes where really call each other at all. They seem to be comfortable around each other so there won’t be any “my lords” in private. Maybe in public for show

Did Tyrion defend Cersei and says that she was sending the Lannister forces?

Mr_Freeload:  Yes and Sansa walks away saying, “I thought you were the most clever man I’ve ever met”

Could you share some details on the Arya and Gendry reunion? Was Friki on the mark with that one?

Mr_Freeload:  I’m not sure what Friki is but it was a back and forth banter, slight sexual tension with old jokes. He calls a lady, she says she doesn’t like that and he still calls her a lady. It’s a love affair in the making so obviously Gendry has to die

Does Sansa talk to anyone besides Jon/Dany and then Tyrion? How did the Jon/Arya reunion feel?

Mr_Freeload: No that’s about it. She was also in the town hall, but only talked to Ned Umber about his men.

Jon/Arya reunion was cute. It’s funny how nobody knows about the shit Arya went through and just assume she’s still the same person

What’s it like for Jon getting on Rhaegal?

Is there any Ghost?

How pissed is Sansa?

What is Jon and Dany’s relationship like?

Mr_Freeload: He’s afraid at first but by the end of it he tells Danyerys she’s ruined horses for him.

No Ghost

Sansa doesn’t like Danyerys nor the fact that he bent the knee to her

Jon and Dany seem to be comfortable around each other. No more formalities in private

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

Did Tyrion defend Cersei and says that she was sending the Lannister forces?

Mr_Freeload:  Yes and Sansa walks away saying, “I thought you were the most clever man I’ve ever met”

Tyrion's FUCKED !

• Love 4
(edited)

I said it before, if it was real life both Jaime and Tyrion would be locked up the moment Jaime arrived with no army. Tyrion appears to be a traitor who has deliberately sabotaged Daenerys, weakening her by causing the deaths of her allies. Jaime stood by Cersei when she gave her word. No ruler would them let them go free much less let them fight along their armies. At most, Jaime is a valuable hostage to trade.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 3