Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E00: Celebrity American Ninja Warrior

• Start Topic

This was fun. Really. I mean, there was the chance of a competitor getting hurt, and some of our favorite ninjas might have been in similar risk in helping their partners, but I was content. They probably could have done ninety minutes, with no "While We Were Away" and one more call for donations, but sixty was good.

Honestly, I liked how some of the celebs skipped past obstacles. Nikki Glaser falling into the water and piloting an inflatable raft past it was cute, as was the "Ninja Ladder" for Mena Suvari (I think). Of course, Stephen Amell crushed the course, and he got to show his skills on the salmon ladder, which was there for future competitions. I also liked him voluntarily splashing down on the new Floating Pegboard. He gets hurt, we'd get a "Reign Of The Green Arrows" arc in Arrow.

In other news, Chris Hardwick can pronounce Akbar's full name without difficulty. Good for him.

• Love 3

I thought it was fun also. I do wonder if Ashton could come back for "real" ANW. Erika Christiansen kinda rocked it. I mean you Ashton would do well, he's an Olympic medalist in Decathalon, Stephen Amell is on record for saying he would love to compete in a regular course, But little Erika surprised me, she killed the steps and did the best of all the women. 

Oops, didn't realize we'd get a proper thread.

Yeah, that was a lot of fun.  I'm impressed with all of them.  I'm just surprised they couldn't get everyone's full run in.  Would have been nice to see all of Ashton Eaton's run, for example.  I'm also curious to see if this course differs from the course the LA ninjas actually ran.  Fun special, hope they do it again next year.

11 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Of course, Stephen Amell crushed the course, and he got to show his skills on the salmon ladder, which was there for future competitions.

SA was awesome, as expected and hoped for.  So glad he got a chance to finally run a course.  The salmon ladder was actually left over, as it were.  They filmed this after the LA Quarter/City Finals were filmed back in March.

• Love 1
(edited)

Red Nose Day event was actually a lot fun.

Stephen Amell was impressive completing the course then wanting to do the Salmon Ladder just to prove he could.

As impressive as he was though I enjoyed the runs by Erika Christiansen (who rocked the course)  and Mena Sulvari (who was scared out of her mind but then was just like "fuck it lets do this thing.") alot more.  Something about beating the odds and watching both women just hit the right spot with me.  

I wouldn't mind seeing more "celebrities" try out the course.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

Erika Christiansen (who rocked the course)  and Mena Sulvari (who was scared out of her mind but then was just like "fuck it lets do this thing.")

Erika was delightfully determined; I think she ended up being the fastest through the Floating Steps (that they showed).  And I adored how Mina just flew across the blocks without even thinking about it.  

Everybody was just so happy for whatever they accomplished and just like regular competition, it was fun to see them cheering each other on.

• Love 4

That was fun, though it was pretty much a cake walk for Amell. I figured Hough would do well but he was better than I even expected. I'm surprised they didn't show all of Easton and Swisher. Not sure what was behind that choice. And I wish they'd had a woman who was serious about doing the whole course, not skipping or doing silly asissts to get up the wall. For that matter, I wish the men hadn't skipped any either.

• Love 1

I really enjoyed it too.  I didn't know who any of the celebrities were but I liked them all.  They were all good sports.  The fellow named Derek something is really good looking.  He looks like a young Leonardo Dicaprio only cuter.  I loved the way the regular ninjas all seemed to be having a ball.  I'm glad I taped it so I can watch it again.

• Love 2

I loved it.  I think Mena, with her utter terror and the way that all of the Ninjas (and Amell, too) helping her up the wall - was my favourite just because I love seeing people fight their fears and overcome them.  All of the celebs had lots of energy and went for it!  Props to Derek Hough for taking a second shot at the one he missed, and Amell was a class act and fun to watch as always.  I agree with all the folks on twitter and here who wish that they'd gotten to see Ashton Eaton's run completely rather than 'just ran', but overall what a great time!

• Love 3
(edited)

I liked it.  Watching the celebrities really brought home to me how hard the course really is.  The regular ninjas make it look easy.  Until tonight I always thoughts the steps in beginning were pretty easy; now I know they are not.

i loved Erika (E).  I am impressed that she is new mom.  I think I would want Flip to be my trainer if I ever got serious about being a ninja.

Mena, the comedienne guy were great.  Amell and the Olympian crushed the course.  Actually they were all good.  It was fun.

Edited by kitticup
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, taragel said:

I'm surprised they didn't show all of Easton and Swisher. Not sure what was behind that choice.

I was so pissed off that they montage'd two of the only dudes who could do the Flywheels without any help or do-overs. I was actually MAD that I didn't get to see their runs. Don't know WTF they were thinking. Erika Christensen is one ballsy chick, I loved her entire run and she and Flip made an awesome team. Mena was such a scaredycat but I'm oddly proud of her :)

• Love 1

I'm pretty sure they were thinking "this is for charity so we'll show the silly ones, not the runs that look like they could've happened on the actual show". I'm not saying I agree with that choice since presumably a significant number of the people watching this would be watchers of the actual show, and obviously wouldn't be bored by a more normal run. However, I do think they chose a goofier tone and then edited accordingly.

• Love 1

If the producers got enough positive feedback, maybe they'll have the ANW segment longer next year - if they do it again.  If you subtract all the commercials and promos for Red Nose from the hour, the ANW part wasn't very long.  I watched the second hour with Bear Grylls and Julia Roberts and it was soooooo phony.  I would  much rather have watched two hours of Celebrity NW.

• Love 1

Even with the normal show they do cut successfully runs so that they can show the more "heart warming" runs which I usually do appreciate.  Honestly watching people you know will do well time and time again gets boring after awhile but watching those who are underdogs do better then they should is why I love the show.

This is being rerun Sunday night in my market. I plan to watch it again, I enjoyed it so much. I was stunned by Derek Hough, who knew? I was thrilled to see Stephen Amell, since I'm thrilled to see him at any time. So glad he crushed the course, then added $$ to his charity by doing "his" salmon ladder. I also liked him saying he was at a disadvantage since he watches ANW and the "real" ninjas make it look so easy, he had to keep in mind how difficult it is. I'm hoping they do more celebrity editions for more charities. What a fun hour. Although like others, sorry to have some celebs be "fillers" during commercial breaks. Also loved seeing so many of my favorite ninjas. What a great bunch of people, they help me take a break from RL.

• Love 2

Okay, Erika Christensen and Flip were adorable as was the ninjas banding together to get her up the warped wall. I don't mind that she and some of the other celebrity competitors needed help- this is for charity, it's for entertainment not as an actual competition, and most of them only had a few days to train.

• Love 3

This was so much fun to watch. I couldn't help but cheer from my own sidelines. I loved that they did it for charity and that some of the rules were not so tough as to allow them to give it a good go for whom they were playing for. 

I was surprised that Derek dropped on the swing wheels. I guess a dancers strength is in their legs...not their arms. Still good on him for going back and completing it the second time. After watching the women do it you know he didn't want to remain in their dust. His second attempt was sheer determination. 

I do hope this is done again. It was very enjoyable and family friendly. 

(edited)

This was definitely a lot of fun!  I loved it!  Jeff Dye was his usual obnoxious self (NOTE: Andy Dick is not a role model!) but he did a lot better than I expected.

On 5/25/2017 at 9:39 PM, JenMD said:

I'm also curious to see if this course differs from the course the LA ninjas actually ran.

I think they said that it had been made easier.  Cannonball Drop, the Block thing and the last obstacle before the wall seemed easier than their ANW counterpart, and although they said the wall was the same height as on ANW, it seemed easier for them.

On 5/26/2017 at 0:46 AM, mlp said:

I really enjoyed it too.  I didn't know who any of the celebrities were but I liked them all.  They were all good sports.  The fellow named Derek something is really good looking

9 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I was surprised that Derek dropped on the swing wheels. I guess a dancers strength is in their legs...not their arms. Still good on him for going back and completing it the second time. After watching the women do it you know he didn't want to remain in their dust. His second attempt was sheer determination.

Derek is/was a controversial figure on Dancing with the Stars (now that he's a judge on World of Dance, he may bot be back).  Pro dancers like Derek routinely do lifts, holding their partner up by one hand.  Da boy's got GUNS!!!

Edited by jhlipton

I agree that I am surprised that people would not think Derek would do well. As noted, as a dancer he routinely lifts partners over his head including doing dead lifts and supporting them one-handed while moving. I would expect him to have great upper body strength.

• Love 1
On 5/28/2017 at 6:55 PM, jhlipton said:

This was definitely a lot of fun!  I loved it!  Jeff Dye was his usual obnoxious self (NOTE: Andy Dick is not a role model!) but he did a lot better than I expected.

I think they said that it had been made easier.  Cannonball Drop, the Block thing and the last obstacle before the wall seemed easier than their ANW counterpart, and although they said the wall was the same height as on ANW, it seemed easier for them.

Derek is/was a controversial figure on Dancing with the Stars (now that he's a judge on World of Dance, he may bot be back).  Pro dancers like Derek routinely do lifts, holding their partner up by one hand.  Da boy's got GUNS!!!

I forgot about him doing all those lifts. My bad. Thanks for the correction. (That was not snarky) 

• Love 1

I think in the world outside TWOP/PTV, he and his sister both are mostly loved and about as controversial as apple pie.  You don't ascend the career ladder at their rates if most people dislike you, in my opinion.  

Unless I missed something.  I don't watch DWTS anymore.  

It's mostly fandom wars and conspiracy theories.

Incidentally, while dancing is definitely an athletic sport, and Derek Hough is very strong, he was never a lift guy. Ballroom competition, his specialty, doesn't allow lifts. DWTS added dances that do have them, but he never did the dead-lift-over-your-head type if he could avoid it. More the assisted-jump-swing type. When he and Bindi Irwin had to recreate the Dirty Dancing lift, I was holding my breath, because it was scary.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, majormama said:

It's mostly fandom wars and conspiracy theories.

Incidentally, while dancing is definitely an athletic sport, and Derek Hough is very strong, he was never a lift guy. Ballroom competition, his specialty, doesn't allow lifts. DWTS added dances that do have them, but he never did the dead-lift-over-your-head type if he could avoid it. More the assisted-jump-swing type. When he and Bindi Irwin had to recreate the Dirty Dancing lift, I was holding my breath, because it was scary.

Derek also has to be careful with lifts because he has a neck injury.