Type keyword(s) to search

Miracle Workers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 7/14/2021 at 9:52 PM, possibilities said:

The truck in the background tipped me off about the commercial, but it was a good fake out otherwise.

I saw that old truck and the more modern bales and thought what the heck?!!! It wasn’t until I saw the phone that I got that it was a commercial.

• Love 6

Because for all practical purposes this episode is a pilot episode for the season, I'm judging it by pilot standards. Was some of it a little clunky? Sure, but I tend to give pilots a certain amount of grace because they have to set up the entire premise and get the plot moving in a very short window.

I love love love how much Buscemi and Radcliffe clearly enjoy working with each other. I loved Ezekiel Brown trying to be the voice of conscience and good reason that no, of course we don't want a notorious murderer in our midst only to realize the wagon train of a whopping four wagons didn't care because he was a celebrity and whoops, there goes the only person who even claims to have any idea which way to Oregon. Jon Bass's character is certainly going to be the one to die of dysentery before this is all over with, isn't he?

Karan Soni's bounty hunter with no name was a hoot. I love that the sheriff was positioned as a cop car in a speed trap. 

• Love 7
5 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

I love that the sheriff was positioned as a cop car in a speed trap. 

And he told them to "pull over," where a simple "stop" would do!

5 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

Jon Bass's character is certainly going to be the one to die of dysentery before this is all over with, isn't he?

Or we'll hope he does!  The sleaziness of his character makes my skin crawl.  The faces that Geraldine was making when he was trying to get frisky were the same ones I was making just sitting here watching him!   I love all of the actors on this show.  It would be a lot of fun to be in an ensemble like this.  

• Love 6

I love the new intro (was it there last week?) and I must have the mind an 8 year old, because I could not stop laughing at the farting and mildly obscene hand gestures while making fun of the reverend and his pre-meal grace. (Despite being a woman, I've been known to occasionally use the subtle jerk-off move when a mere eye roll doesn’t quite cut it.)

This cast is always so impeccable; this season, Jon Bass' character especially kills me. "Oh, you were just gonna watch, at best. At BEST."

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

That poor Buffalo getting its brains blown out was disturbing, as was that guy getting eaten by the bears. Had to lol at Zeke reluctantly giving the details in his eulogy though.

I wonder if Benny’s daughter is going to show up again.

• Love 4
(edited)
11 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Had to lol at Zeke reluctantly giving the details in his eulogy though.

I had tears when he got to the bear cannon LOL 😂😭

wonder if Benny’s daughter is going to show up again.

I hope so

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 9

Three episodes in, this season is coming off more uneven than the previous two. There are some pretty great bits, but some of it seems like they're not really sure how play Western movie tropes to make them funny. The Ezekiel-Prudence slow burn also feels less natural and more like they're doing it only because that's where they went with the actors' previous characters.

Still, Radcliffe had me laughing almost until I cried with the drawn out description of how the guy died. Bear chili dog to bear volleyball to a bear cannon.

• Love 5

I know I am way too tender-hearted and shouldn't take things in comedy series so gravely, but the bald eagle getting shot in the last episode and then the buffalo in this one is a little too much. Is there going to be an "animal death of the week" every time now? Yeah, I know, lighten up. (the guy getting eaten by a bear didn't really faze me though, so there's that) Anyway, Mr. Littlepaw is about to throw in the towel but I'd like to give it another episode or two. I absolutely love all the actors but compared to the brilliance of Seasons One and Two....well, I just don't know yet. 

• Love 5
On 7/29/2021 at 10:25 PM, littlepaw said:

I know I am way too tender-hearted and shouldn't take things in comedy series so gravely, but the bald eagle getting shot in the last episode and then the buffalo in this one is a little too much.

I didn't like that either.  FWIW though, I don't think Buffalo are as tame and friendly as the show made them out to be!   I wouldn't be standing there taking a selfie with one (as some have tried at Yellowstone Park!) 

On 7/29/2021 at 7:39 PM, nodorothyparker said:

Three episodes in, this season is coming off more uneven than the previous two. There are some pretty great bits, but some of it seems like they're not really sure how play Western movie tropes to make them funny.

That's a good description of it.  Something is just off.  Maybe it's the hokey-looking background, or maybe the characters just aren't doing it for me this time.  I'll keep watching it though.   A visit from King Cragnoor (Peter Serafinowicz) would make my day!  

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Daniel Radcliffe doing a striptease of “She’ll Be Coming Round the Mountain” is why I stick with this crazy show. 

Truly, that was highly amusing, and worth the slog of the rest of the season so far. 

Todd is so dim, I'm starting to feel sorry for him.  12 aces! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Daniel Radcliffe doing a striptease of “She’ll Be Coming Round the Mountain” is why I stick with this crazy show. 

That was everything I never knew I always wanted.

The rest of the plots are silly and kinda dumb (not enough world building to know who the other randos on the trip are yet), but every once in a while, MAGIC!

• Love 9
8 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Should anyone ask me what this show is about and why should they watch, that is the sentence I'll use.

• LOL 6
  • Love 8
43 minutes ago, rlc said:

I’m feeling very uncomfortable with the feelings I’m experiencing in my nether regions for Harry Potter as a glam rock preacher.

If you thought that was intense, the guy who played Neville Longbottom did an all-but-completely-naked magazine photo shoot years back.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

That was so funny 😂😭

Was that really Daniel Radcliffe singing?

• Love 4

If you thought that was intense, the guy who played Neville Longbottom did an all-but-completely-naked magazine photo shoot years back.

Yes he did, and that pudgy little boy grew up fiiiiiiiiiiiiine.

I loved pretty much everything about this episode, and will forever be grateful that I recorded it so I can watch Daniel Radcliffe's glam rock preacher over and over.  It was great.

• Love 5

Now that I've recovered...I really don't like Todd that level of dumb just annoys me. I actually don't mind Prudence and usually Geraldine's character is my least favorite. 

Benny the Teen and The Gunslinger were entertaining. 

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

That was so funny 😂😭

Was that really Daniel Radcliffe singing?

I don't know but Daniel was in a Broadway musical some years back so I wouldn't be surprised if he did his own singing.

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

I don't know but Daniel was in a Broadway musical some years back so I wouldn't be surprised if he did his own singing.

Yeah, how to Succeed in Business without Really Trying...I watched him perform on The Tony's.

It probably was him but auto tuned to fit the glam rock genre.  I was impressed with his dancing but, re-watching the Tony's I shouldn't be, the kid (yes, he will always be a kid to me 😂) can dance 

• Love 8
9 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Yeah, how to Succeed in Business without Really Trying...I watched him perform on The Tony's.

It probably was him but auto tuned to fit the glam rock genre.  I was impressed with his dancing but, re-watching the Tony's I shouldn't be, the kid (yes, he will always be a kid to me 😂) can dance 

Was he dancing?  I am shallow enough to say I was paying more attention to his abs.

• LOL 1
18 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I loved pretty much everything about this episode, and will forever be grateful that I recorded it so I can watch Daniel Radcliffe's glam rock preacher over and over.  It was great.

This was the first ep I watched and did not delete. I don't know how to feel about how I feel, but think I'm gonna have to watch it again. Purely for scientific reasons.

Appearances by the awesome Ron Funches and Paul F. Tompkins were the icing on the cake. Shishito peppers on the house!

• Love 7

I thought this was one of their better episodes.  I love Buscemi's interactions with Daniel.  His facial expressions are what crack me up.   Karan Soni is hilarious too.  I'm hoping that he and Benny will team up, rather than having the 'hunt and chase' aspect going on. 

• Love 5

For sure its the best episode this season. For the Radcliffe's performance alone, I'd rate it the highest, and then the rest of it hit all the right notes too. Loved the gunslinger/bounty hunter romance. And the whore makeover. And the ankle fever dream. All of it!

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I’m ashamed to admit that it took many rewatchings to fully grasp the innuendo of the timing of him repeating “(When She) Comes” as he did those pelvic thrusts on his back.

What?

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • LOL 10
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

I’m ashamed to admit that it took many rewatchings to fully grasp the innuendo of the timing of him repeating “(When She) Comes” as he did those pelvic thrusts on his back.

Well, I can understand why one might want to watch multiple times, to make sure they got all the, um, nuances.

This season is just borderline for me and if I had to subscribe to something new to watch it, I probably wouldn't, but there are occasional highlights.  I am kind of enjoying Benny's frenemy relationship with the nameless bounty hunter, or whatever he's called.

• Love 3

I read in an EW article that Daniel Radcliffe took no convincing at all to do that scene; he was quite committed and enthusiastic and practiced it extensively on his own time. It definitely paid off because it was nothing short of amazing. 

This episode turned me around on this season, not only because of that scene, but it just seemed sharper and funnier overall (and no animal deaths!) I hope it can keep up the momentum.

Here's the EW article; it's very short (in case you have the short attention span that I normally  do) https://ew.com/tv/shirtless-daniel-radcliffe-vogue-miracle-workers-oregon-trail/

Edited by littlepaw
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11

I remember that he did the show Equus on Broadway right after he was finished with Harry Potter.  Once he did that, I wasn't surprised by anything he did and figured he clearly loves to take roles that completely challenge him. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

I also heard him say in an interview that he was working at shedding the Harry Potter image, and I think that also guides some of his choices in terms of being willing to push various envelopes and maybe be a little shocking.

Yup.  I was thinking that being totally naked on stage while playing a boy who had an sexual/religious infatuation with horses sort of checked some of those boxes... 😉

• Love 9

The opening with Todd was funny, but now I’m curious if people ever really did take butt photos with those old fashioned cameras lol.

I don’t know, I’m just not feeling Prudence. She feels too much of a rehash of Geraldine’s character from last season: dissatisfied girl stuck in a time that sucks for women. I feel like all the other cast gets to do different things except her.

So now Zeke’s married too. Let’s see how long that lasts.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5