Type keyword(s) to search

Miracle Workers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Oh, the irony of them getting rid of the invaders by faking the plague.

That was the only part I really liked.  The rest of it?  About as unsatisfying an ending as I've ever seen.  I was hoping that Al & Chauncley would end up ruling over Lower Murkford and would lead them into an age of prosperity and enlightment!  Instead, Al breaks her Dad's heart by trekking off to Paris.  Maybe they're going to bring this back for Season 3 so we can follow their adventures, if not, then we'll never know if they made it and how they fared.  

I may be a lone voice in thinking this way, but I was bummed with the last 5 minutes of the show.  It went out with a whimper.  YMMV.  

• Love 1

Sigh.  Eddie's departing safety spell to Al nearly had me tearing up.  Who knew Steve Buscemi had that in him?

It wasn't quite the ending I was envisioning, but it mostly works, I think.  Vexler gets to be king by virtue of having earned it.  Eddie's staying where he's most content while Cragnoor runs off to be unmissed after being a homicidal ass the entire series.  Chauncley has grown enough as a person to be willing to take on the invaders by himself if necessary and gets the girl in the end.  He's not stuck being king any more than Al's stuck shitshoveling in a tiny village.  The Al-Chauncley resolution felt kind of pat and a little underplayed for the amount of build up to it, but it's still more or less true to the show's satisfyingly gently weird nature. 

There's been something so sweetly reassuring about this show and its general faith that everything would work out all right in the end that I'm going to sorely miss.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

The Al-Chauncley resolution felt kind of pat and a little underplayed for the amount of build up to it, but it's still more or less true to the show's satisfyingly gently weird nature. 

I'm probably taking this silly show way too seriously, but I was really hoping to see Al, along with Chauncley, help the "filthy peasants" once the siege was over.  Instead, we see Al turn her back on the people she loves because she hates Lower Murkford sooo much.  I don't blame her for hating her surroundings, but I was hoping for a better ending for the peasants too.  

I wanted Chauncley to find his voice and step up and be a strong and caring leader, but instead he runs away too.  It's not as if they can just jet back and forth from Paris to Lower Murkford either.  She broke her Dad's heart.  So sad for him.  

I hate when a show disappoints me, but I'll come back for Season 3 with high hopes of another funny season with a better ending.  😉

• Love 2

I think the fact that Al stayed to help save Lower Murkford showed her that she doesn't hate it as much as she thought she did, but there is also nothing wrong with wanting to leave your hometown and see other parts of the world. Lots of people move away from their hometowns in their 20s not because they hate them but because they've always wanted to live in New York/Paris/San Francisco/Los Angeles. It's normal and healthy to want to break away from your family and be independent so I didn't see anything inherently bad about Al leaving. If anything, I saw it as a positive thing that she was able to follow her dream.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Lots of people move away from their hometowns in their 20s not because they hate them but because they've always wanted to live in New York/Paris/San Francisco/Los Angeles. It's normal and healthy to want to break away from your family and be independent so I didn't see anything inherently bad about Al leaving.

Looking at it in their time, going to Paris took 10 months of travel!  It would be highly unlikely that she'd make her way back home anytime soon.  Back in those days her Dad would be considered pretty old.  Chances are he'd be dead before she came back.  She can't merely hop on a plane and be home in a matter of hours! I was hoping to see her help lead her people to a better life and then realize that Lower Murkfort wasn't so bad after all!  The ending fizzled for me.  

If the next season is something different, I do hope they'll bring back Peter Serafinowicz (King Cragnoor.)  Even though he was a tyrant, I liked his character and the way the actor played him.  He had some funny lines.  

• Love 3

I remember reading an interview sometime around the beginning of the season that I can't find now or I'd link it where Buscemi said that going your own way and not just following what might have been planned for you was going to be a big theme of this season and that it came about when the season was being laid out at least partly because of discussions about his own life. Buscemi comes from a family of firefighters and civil service workers and did work as a firefighter for awhile before breaking with his own father to go into acting.  Eddie was loosely based on his dad in not being able to imagine doing anything but what they'd always done but loving his kid in forging their own path even if he didn't quite understand it. 

So in that light, the ending of Chauncley giving up the crown to go with Al makes a certain amount of sense and probably shouldn't have been surprising.  I just wish we'd gotten even a line or two about how he came to the decision to chuck it all after his father effectively abandoned them all and he had the good will and support of the town where he very easily could have been their next and better king.  We saw plenty of examples of how he didn't want to be his father, but there was never much sense of what he did want beyond being attracted to Al.  The show at least laid the groundwork for Al not wanting to stay in Lower Murkford.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

The show at least laid the groundwork for Al not wanting to stay in Lower Murkford.

I may have missed it, but wasn't the second to the last episode the first time we'd heard that she wanted to go to Paris?  I don't recall her saying that before, so that was a bit of a surprise to me, although they made it abundantly clear throughout the season that she didn't like living in Lower Murkford.  How would she know much about Paris?  Maybe the occasional traveler came through and talked about it, so how she had much knowledge about such a far away place seemed to be stretch. 

• Love 2

i wonder if Mary Baker's fianceis still alive ... she didn't seem too concerned either way.

My problem with the ending is that I don't know that they did enough to make me trust Vexler long term with ultimate executive power. Yes he came back to help, but a few episodes ago he wanted Eddie to be eaten by a goat.

• Love 3

I intentionally held off on watching the finale knowing it was the last ep - delayed gratification in a world in need of sunshine  - so the eerie parallels to today's world really freaked me out. "But the peasants have no way of defending themselves" and King Cragnoor's response of "that's on them", saying it's their own fault they didn't have weapons, gold, and supplies was just a wee bit too similar to, oh, I don't know... some current folks in power. (Whose strategic reserve?) And then the plague play - I saw it coming, but didn't make it any less creepy in its familiarity.

Nonetheless, a sweet ending (loved Eddie Pervert or whatever his name is behind the barrel during Al and Chauncley's tame kiss). The Valdrogian princess was hilariously awesome, and I hope they bring the actress back in future seasons. I'm assuming that future season(s?) will be completely new stories and settings, so I'm okay with Vexler as king while A & C explore the world.

• Love 6
On 4/6/2020 at 11:14 PM, Dewey Decimate said:

so the eerie parallels to today's world really freaked me out. "But the peasants have no way of defending themselves" and King Cragnoor's response of "that's on them", saying it's their own fault they didn't have weapons, gold, and supplies was just a wee bit too similar to, oh, I don't know... some current folks in power.

Other than a fake plaque, I don't see the similarity.  Unlike King Cragnoor who fled to his ship, I haven't seen any of our leaders hauling ass out of the country yet!  😉

I thought the Town Crier was funny when showing the people - weather map style,  how the invasion was moving in a southwesterly flow.  Then when the arrows were raining down and Eddie casually said "it's really coming down today!"  I wouldn't mind seeing another season of Dark Ages, but I'll tune in no matter what they end up doing!

• Love 1

I'm in the minority, but this episode fell flat for me. 

I don't know why, but it really bothered me when Al was screaming, "You idiots!", as her father was trying to save his friends. For me, it seemed like her dialogue's tone changed from being bored with the town to resentful she was living there. 

I thought the fake plague gag was a cute way to save the town without some large, crazy thing we hadn't seen or heard about before.

Even though it didn't stick the landing, I really enjoy this show. I'm looking forward to what next season's theme is.

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, Catfi9ht said:

I don't know why, but it really bothered me when Al was screaming, "You idiots!", as her father was trying to save his friends. For me, it seemed like her dialogue's tone changed from being bored with the town to resentful she was living there. 

I was shocked at the words that came out of her mouth too.  She knows that she's smarter than everybody else, but she never lorded it over their heads.  I was disappointed in they way they wrote her character in this episode.  I expected a better ending too.  

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Panic does funny things to people, and Al was panicking about being able to get to the castle in time.

That's true, but she seemed unnecessarily cruel in her choice of words.  It seemed out of character for her.   I can understand her frustration with the situation though. 

• Love 2

I'm late to the party. I watched the first episode of season 1 when it came out and thought it was pleasant enough, but I just binged all of season 2 and loved it. It's silly, sweet, and just delightful, so I was excited to find out that there will be a season 3. I'm a little sad we'll be losing the medieval setting and characters, but I'm looking forward to where they go next and am just glad that they still seem to be going ahead when so many other things are getting cancelled because of COVID.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

I'm late to the party. I watched the first episode of season 1 when it came out and thought it was pleasant enough, but I just binged all of season 2 and loved it. It's silly, sweet, and just delightful, so I was excited to find out that there will be a season 3. I'm a little sad we'll be losing the medieval setting and characters, but I'm looking forward to where they go next and am just glad that they still seem to be going ahead when so many other things are getting cancelled because of COVID.

That is the fist time I’ve ever heard Geraldine speak in her natural Australian accent!  I wonder why they had her do an American accent (which is so good!) for Miracle Workers, when DanRad and the girl who played her bestie on the most recent season didn’t.

Did anyone see The Broken Hearts Club?  It was very charming, though my opinion may have been biased, as my husband and I saw it on a rare pandemic-era outing...to the drive-in!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, cynicat said:

It made me so happy to see a post in this forum, because I figured it meant a season 3 was imminent.  I wonder if everyone on the Oregon Trail will die of dysentery?  

Just when they need the Shitshovelers.....

• LOL 14
  • Love 1

Yippee Kaiyay!  I'm absolutely ecstatic about the new season.  They come up with the best ideas for each season.  Each one utterly different.  I wonder if they deliberately came up with an idea that allowed them to shoot a lot of scenes outdoors due to COVID or if they were already planning on a wagon trail theme.  Or maybe the entire thing was shot on a soundstage like Bonanza!

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Girl in a Cardigan said:

I know I'll get used to it, but it's gonna take me a second to get used to Geraldine Viswanathan and Jon Bass playing husband and wife after playing brother and sister last season. 😂

I'd expect this from Mary Baker but not Alexandra Shitshoveler!

• LOL 7

Fantastic! Can't wait! 

On 5/20/2021 at 11:56 AM, Girl in a Cardigan said:

I know I'll get used to it, but it's gonna take me a second to get used to Geraldine Viswanathan and Jon Bass playing husband and wife after playing brother and sister last season.

It took me a moment to get used to them being different characters from Season 1 to Season 2.  What a fun show!  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, possibilities said:

I really didn't like it. I don't know if it's the story specifically or if I just really loathe this entire setting. 

I enjoyed it.  Jon Bass' character is going to be so easy to loathe, lol.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, possibilities said:

I really didn't like it. I don't know if it's the story specifically or if I just really loathe this entire setting. 

I liked it, but I understand your take on it.  Hang in there!  Maybe it'll get better!  It is kind of weird hearing them speak  in 21st century lingo, but that's part of what makes it so funny to me.  I loved the Reverend's line "stand 6 feet apart!"  And then blank stares from the crowd.  

• Love 13
On 5/20/2021 at 12:56 PM, Girl in a Cardigan said:

I know I'll get used to it, but it's gonna take me a second to get used to Geraldine Viswanathan and Jon Bass playing husband and wife after playing brother and sister last season. 😂

I know exactly what you mean, but it helps if you think of the actors as a theater troupe (which really is the vibe I think they’re going for-like a repertory group-new season, new production). 
I, too, found it a bit flat. Maybe because of the bland set, props, and scenery. Maybe they’ll do more with what they’re using as they go on (I’m thinking back to the funny bit about the length of the handle on the Shitshoveler’s shovel). 

• Love 1

I'm trying to remember if Geraldine and Daniel's characters were drawn to each other in the first season (I can't believe I'm blanking on that!)  They were for the second season and now for this one.  Maybe that's going to be a running theme with each new season.  

16 hours ago, HighQueenEB said:

Jon Bass' character is going to be so easy to loathe, lol.

I was just about on the floor laughing at his and Geraldine's scene when he was trying to get intimate and then starting farting.  I wonder how many takes that took before they all quit laughing.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

Just watching made me a little nostalgic for the old game Oregon Trail, which I'm sure this is loosely based on.

I was thinking the same thing!

A bit of a slow start for me, but I’m patient. Dan and Steve are hilarious, as usual. Man, poor Ezekiel’s childhood was worse than Harry Potter’s! 

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

Anybody else get taken in by the first commercial, finding the iPhone in the hay bale?

I missed it, but I will watch it again!  I've been so ready for this show to come back on, so I will probably watch each episode at least twice.  I always pick up on something I missed with the first viewing.   The bounty hunter with his 'gun' pose.  Bwah!!  It's all of those little gems that make the show so good.  

• Love 5

Praying to God and Steve Buscimi showing up as Benny the Teen almost feels like a reference to the first season, which was something that was largely absent from Dark Ages. I wonder if it's purely a meta joke or if it's a hint at an actual overarching plot?

So far this feels like a retread of Dark Ages. The past really sucks and people are dumb, there's a spark between Geraldine and Daniel's characters who seem to be two most normal people in the middle of everything. Not to say that there weren't some good jokes, but I was kind of hoping for a bigger departure between the two plots like we had between Seasons 1 and 2.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I'm trying to remember if Geraldine and Daniel's characters were drawn to each other in the first season (I can't believe I'm blanking on that!)  They were for the second season and now for this one.  Maybe that's going to be a running theme with each new season.  

I was just about on the floor laughing at his and Geraldine's scene when he was trying to get intimate and then starting farting.  I wonder how many takes that took before they all quit laughing.  

Yes, Daniel and Geraldine's characters were attracted to each other during the first season but not as obviously so as in the 2nd. I wonder if the attraction will become more obvious with each passing season. 

Every scene between Jon and Geraldine, I felt like they were just barely repressing the laughter because of just how clearly incompatible Todd and Prudence are for each other, lol.  Am I the only one curious how these two ever wound up together? 

I kind of am enjoying seeing the parallels between the characters they have portrayed on each of the three seasons.  Perhaps the overarching POV of the show is that we are essentially who we are, no matter how many times our souls are reincarnated in whatever time period or reality.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

So far, so good. I'm liking it. Just watching made me a little nostalgic for the old game Oregon Trail, which I'm sure this is loosely based on.

There are sites out there where you can find old DOS and early Windows games adapted for the web. Anyone want to die of dysentery? Cholera? Right this way and have fun:

https://www.retrogames.cz/play_687-DOS.php?language=EN

This season reminds me of the Oregon Trail episode of American Dad.  If you want to get a feel for the game and the concept they're using, this clip is like a compressed version.  The part I'm talking about is from 1.10min to about 3.17 min (I think it's keyed up to start at 1.10)

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

The creator of the show, Simon Rich, doesn't appear to be involved with this season. Not sure why he left, but the new showrunner Dan Mirk was a writer on the first two seasons and a lot of the other writers appear to be the same, so the quality of the show shouldn't change too much. 

I believe Quinta Brunson (from "A Black Lady Sketch Show") is going to have a recurring role this season. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1