Type keyword(s) to search

Miracle Workers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Realizing that he could carry his second jacket cracked me up.

I loved that. At first I thought he was going to give the jacket to Mickey. I loved that his grand idea was to carry the second jacket. LOL

• Love 2

Ally's brother doesn't work in the family shit-shoveling business? He's just wandering around the hills all the time? And he has nothing, even when he has a family that seems to love him? I feel confused by this.

I'm a sap, though. I was upset when the worm got run over and I was relieved that the duck actually wanted to be with him and wasn't just being held and squeezed into submission. I hate the opening credits where they establish the chicken as a character and then kill it.

4 hours ago, possibilities said:

Ally's brother doesn't work in the family shit-shoveling business? He's just wandering around the hills all the time? And he has nothing, even when he has a family that seems to love him? I feel confused by this.

I've been trying to figure him out, I think that he's either supposed to be the younger sibling (even though the actor is pretty clearly older) or he's older but just too ... simple for a career in shit-shoveling.

On 2/8/2020 at 3:01 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

@Catfi9ht I totally agree - I like that the show chooses the less expected route. As much as I wanted to see Alexandra succeed (mostly to spite her rival), I liked that she went back to the old family shit shoveling. Same goes for the prince. He might be less of a violent tyrant than his father, but he's still a spoiled and entitled brat. Realizing that he could carry his second jacket cracked me up.

Same, but what *really* cracked me up was when Chauncley removed his crown AND his hair at the end of the day.  I knew that at some point we'd see him with short hair (because, previews), but I thought a haircut would turn into a plot point somewhere along the line.  I could not stop laughing at that little bit, and actually made my husband rewind so I could see it again and laugh some more!

I may be simpler than the simple Shitshoveler brother.  [Say that one 5 times fast...]

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Anyone else think the ruler from the other kingdom that met with Vexler and Chauncely looked like Kilmonger?

Aw, poor Chauncely. He gets kicked out out the castle for covering Vexler's screwup. 

"DO THE CHAUNCELY!" cracked me up. i fucking love Daniel Radcliffe.

• Love 5

Just discovered the show, marathoned the first season, which was funny but didn't completely grab me. LOVE this season much more. And last night's episode was perfect. The "I'm 31" cracked me up too, beyond reason. 
Hole maintenance business, what a forward thinking idea! Love it. We all know how rich plumbers are. Perhaps they will end up the wealthiest people in the village.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, BonnieD said:

marathoned the first season, which was funny but didn't completely grab me. LOVE this season much more.

I agree. I have found the second season so much better. It's funnier and tighter and I love how much the writing mocks the modern world. I know it's only the third episode, but I am really loving this season. Last season there was a goal (save the world). This season doesn't seem to have an overall goal and I'm totally fine with it. I would gladly watch the adventures of this season's characters for more than eight episodes.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 3

Hole maintenance could end up being incredibly lucrative.  If the holes are shallow enough that snakes dropped in them can reach up bite the, um, users of the hole, they're going to fill up pretty quickly (UGH!).

Poor Chauncley finally does something right, that his father could actually be proud of him for, and ends up taking the rap for the treaty falling apart instead.  Oh well.  Personal growth versus paternal approbation!

• Love 1

The nonstop TBS ads finally got me to take a look and an afternoon later, I had binged the entire first season and am now caught up with the second.  While I'll admit that at least part of the original draw for me was Buscemi and Radcliffe (who's really showing some comedic chops and willingness to just get silly here) I'm really loving this entire cast and the easy chemistry and underlying sweetness they all have with each other.  There was plenty I liked about the first season, even if a lot of the humor wasn't laugh out loud kind of comedy and there was never really any doubt where it was going to end up.  The second season, though, has had me rolling even if it seems less focused.  I'm enjoying the complete dissonance of modern speech and behavior with the medieval setting so much more than I would have thought.

"I'm 31" cracked me up too as did the entire sequence of Alexandra trying to demonstrate how a hole worked to a wonderfully befuddled Buscemi. The show's ads on social media have been the short clip of "do the Chauncley" and I may have clicked on it every time I've scrolled through.

• Love 6

Again this show zigged when we thought it would zag—we were SO sure the guy giving the keynote at SHITCON was going to be named TED, but they went one better and had him reveal that mind-blowing technology...the hole.  I clutched my husband’s arm and cackled like a lunatic. Brilliant!

• Love 2
On 2/12/2020 at 10:13 AM, estellasmum said:

Party, party, party, everybody's at the party. Skip! Stop! This show is so dumb. So, so dumb. But I love it. 

I can't get that "song" out of my head!  After a long day of dealing with really annoying people, it's so nice to come home and sit down and watch a comedy like this.  You're right, it's so dumb, but it's brilliant and I'm loving this season so much!

I found it funny when one of them said that the idea of a shit hole would never catch on.  That reminded me of something I learned when I visited the Biltmore mansion in North Carolina years ago.  The tour guide said that the mansion was one of the first homes to have toilets that flushed and they were very noisy.  Mr. Vanderbilt would have his friends visit from New York City and the toilets scared many guests.  One even commented that "this will never catch on!"  I stood there and thought back to how life would've been so different if that crazy notion of flushing toilets hadn't "caught on!"  

• Love 2
9 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I found it funny when one of them said that the idea of a shit hole would never catch on.  That reminded me of something I learned when I visited the Biltmore mansion in North Carolina years ago.  The tour guide said that the mansion was one of the first homes to have toilets that flushed and they were very noisy.  Mr. Vanderbilt would have his friends visit from New York City and the toilets scared many guests.  One even commented that "this will never catch on!"  I stood there and thought back to how life would've been so different if that crazy notion of flushing toilets hadn't "caught on!"  

When we studied the Middle Ages in seventh grade, it really made me appreciate toilets. I was grateful that someone had come up with way for people to do their business inside the house and then make it all leave the house. That was one of the many reasons why I laughed when Steve Buscemi said that the hole would never catch on!

• Love 5
On 2/12/2020 at 11:13 AM, estellasmum said:

Party, party, party, everybody's at the party. Skip!

The bear has a long, long tail... 

I've had this mish-mash of "songs" in my head for days because of the ads for this show, and it still makes me giggle.

On 2/12/2020 at 10:55 PM, Lovecat said:

Again this show zigged when we thought it would zag—we were SO sure the guy giving the keynote at SHITCON was going to be named TED, but they went one better and had him reveal that mind-blowing technology...the hole.  I clutched my husband’s arm and cackled like a lunatic. Brilliant!

I wasn't sure if they were going for TED Talks or pyramid scheme/scam when the "presentation" first started. I figured Al would embrace the idea and get her dad to understand it eventually so that part of the story wasn't a surprise. However, I think the chemistry between those two actors is super sweet and very familial. 

I hope they show Chauncley's duck show at some point. The snippet we saw this episode, with Daniel Radcliffe beatboxing, made me laugh hysterically.

I'm so glad this show is back for a second season.

• Love 1
On 2/14/2020 at 8:56 AM, Catfi9ht said:

The bear has a long, long tail... 

I've had this mish-mash of "songs" in my head for days because of the ads for this show, and it still makes me giggle.

I wasn't sure if they were going for TED Talks or pyramid scheme/scam when the "presentation" first started. I figured Al would embrace the idea and get her dad to understand it eventually so that part of the story wasn't a surprise. However, I think the chemistry between those two actors is super sweet and very familial. 

I hope they show Chauncley's duck show at some point. The snippet we saw this episode, with Daniel Radcliffe beatboxing, made me laugh hysterically.

I'm so glad this show is back for a second season.

I assumed the hole presentation was modeled after Steve Jobs. 

Count me in as another who is SO glad this show is back! I was skeptical about the medieval setting but they’ve won me over thus far. (And not just as an Alexandra who goes by Ali 😉)

• Love 4

I cracked up when the Merry Band turned out to be a bunch of burnouts stealing from the rich...to buy drugs.

Daniel and Steve have great comedic chemistry. But what's up with Chauncely's wig? I thought he just wears it at the palace with the crown.

4 hours ago, possibilities said:

I figured Chaunceley knocked over a candle in the house, but how did he ignite the cart?

Maybe something to do with the methane gas buildup?  I'm enjoying the absurdity of this show, so I don't put too much thought into the details!  😉

• Love 2

I was almost expecting him to somehow light the bowl of soup on fire when he was trying to eat it by himself at the end. I think they did that joke with Homer trying to make a bowl of cereal for Mr. Burns on "The Simpsons". 

• Love 10

Steve Buscemi and Daniel Radcliffe running from a flaming shitwagon will never not be funny to me.  The actors really have a lovely effortless chemistry.

I was expecting the soup to go up in flames too or for one more disaster gag at the end, but I like that they ended on a positive note.  The show leans into the absurd enough that a grown man managing to feed himself a spoon of soup feels like a true accomplishment after an entire episode of watching him fail so spectacularly to do the most basic things.

• Love 6

I also thought the soup was gonna catch on fire. 

This show & Schitt's Creek are what I look forward to the most each week and with this being SC last season all I can say is there better be a third season of Miracle Workers

I thought the soup was going to catch on fire too! (Well actually I thought they'd show Prince Chauncley moving the spoon to his mouth then cut to the hall being in flames.)

Last week when the King found out the treaty was blown and said to Chauncley, "you suck" I was DYING.

If you haven't seen the Extras episode with Daniel Radcliffe, I highly recommend it. He's hilarious. The episodes with Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen are great, too.

• Love 5
20 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Daniel and Steve have great comedic chemistry. But what's up with Chauncely's wig? I thought he just wears it at the palace with the crown.

13 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

Steve Buscemi and Daniel Radcliffe running from a flaming shitwagon will never not be funny to me.  The actors really have a lovely effortless chemistry.

I never would have imagined the wood-chipped guy from Fargo and Harry Potter together on screen, but they are brilliant. I love the actor who plays Al Shitshoveler as well - she's a perfect combination of warmth and side-eye.

• Love 5

For some reason my DVR didn't record this on Tuesday night. I juat watched and I was great. The disaster gaga with the cart on fire had me (literally) LOL. 

The theme for this season is very obvious but, it works so well. I liked last season but, I'm loving this one. They really found a great theme and the cast works so well together. 

• Love 1

I'm loving Mr. Shit Shoveler's positive attitude.  He's a happy-go-lucky guy who takes great pride in his work.   He's just so darn likeable!  Also, much respect to Steve and his firefighting days, and for what he did in helping his "brothers" immediately after 9/11.  

I'm hoping that Prince Chauncely will eventually find his niche in life.  Kudos to all of the actors on this show for their outstanding performances!  I'm liking this season a bit more than the first one.  

Edited by ChitChat
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Poor Chauncely. No good deed goes unpunished for him.

"Those are some ugly ducks."  Bless his heart, he's so dense, but loveable!!  At least he felt at home with Al's family, which, by the way, I think is a pretty nice little house!  

• Love 4

I really love Al’s relationship with her dad. He is so proud of her and she obviously lives him so much. 

I also really like her easy friendship with Chauncely (especially in light of how much she dislikes his father). I really hope they keep their relationship platonic. 

I liked that the rest of Al’s family treats Chauncely like s regular person, not the son of the king. And I thought it was sweet that he felt comfortable enough around them to remove his hair! 

And is it just me or does Lord Vexler seem to like Chauncely now too?

• Love 3
7 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I really love Al’s relationship with her dad. He is so proud of her and she obviously lives him so much. 

I also really like her easy friendship with Chauncely (especially in light of how much she dislikes his father). I really hope they keep their relationship platonic. 

I liked that the rest of Al’s family treats Chauncely like s regular person, not the son of the king. And I thought it was sweet that he felt comfortable enough around them to remove his hair! 

And is it just me or does Lord Vexler seem to like Chauncely now too?

I think that Vexler has liked (or at least been nicer to) Chauncely since he took all the heat from the King for the treaty signing that Vexler screwed up.

• Love 3

Good episode.  I loved how Al's "horrible" family holiday was the normal sort of horrible with that one obnoxious relative that you're still fond of anyway and the bullying cousins while Chauncely's hysterically devolved from stilted small talk and party games to full-blown murder.  Vexler quietly booking it on out of there the minute the swords came out was everything, as was the beginning revisionist history play. "It's only been three years.  We were there."

This cast really is so terrific with the most easy lovely chemistry with each other and there's such an underlying sweetness throughout.  Al and Ed have a great relationship, and I love that Vexler is gradually coming to see Chauncely as an actual person instead of one more annoyance to be dealt with.  I did briefly wonder when Chauncely was giving Al the look at the end if the show does intend to go there or if it might be a running thing if the show goes additional seasons of Daniel Radcliffe's characters pining unrequited for Geraldine Viswanathan's each time out.  I think I'm okay with it either way.

• Love 4

Al started the war!  By playing Ding Dong Ditch-It!  (which is what we called it when I was a kid, I didn't catch what Al and Maggie called it)  

This was a fun episode.  I'm glad Chauncley is finding growth opportunities out in the world.   Luckily he doesn't have to attend any "board" meetings!

• Love 2

I liked this show during S1 but I am really loving S2.

I have to admit that although I was a Harry Potter fan, I didn't think much of Daniel Radcliffe's acting (which was understandable since he was a kid), but he is great at this kind of light comedy. I really like his friendship with Al so I wish they hadn't made him have a crush on her, but since I love everything else about this season, I'm willing to not dwell on it.

I felt bad for Al - it's tough when your friend grows apart and barely spends any time with you anymore. Even without Trish in the equation, it was clear that Al felt abandoned by Maggie. In Al's defense, Maggie was the one making fun of her coworkers and talking about how pointless it was before now, so it made sense that Al was confused by the change in Maggie's attitude.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I felt bad for Al - it's tough when your friend grows apart and barely spends any time with you anymore.

The progression of this show appears to be leading up to a Chauncley/Al relationship, so I figure that they went ahead and had Maggie find her new life so that when and if Al moves on, they will have already adjusted to the changes in their relationship.  It won't feel like one abandoned the other.  I do have to ask, was it really a thing that Nuns actually inflicted harm upon themselves?  I do realize that this show is quite absurd, but is there an ounce of truth to that?  That part of the story was a little lost on me.  

I'm on board with a Chauncley/Al romance.  Maybe they'll end up together ruling their country, and now that Chauncley is seeing the Peasants in a more sympathetic light, they'll be quite the dynamic duo in fighting for their rights.  That's how I'd like to see this season end - assuming that this season is a one-off like the last one.   I enjoyed seeing Chauncley grow a backbone when it came to Al.  You SOB, you will play 'Who, Who, Who!" 

7 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

I do have to ask, was it really a thing that Nuns actually inflicted harm upon themselves? 

The statement is too broad.  There have always been some religious zealots that have practiced things like self-flagellation.  Not just limited to Christianity, either.  

One of my aunt's was a nun ("was" because she is deceased 😥) and I've known quite a number of Catholic religious over the years.  I have never known one who practiced or promoted inflicting pain in order to feel closer to God - either to themselves or anyone else.

There are always so many great little moments in this show that it's easy to miss them.  I watched it again and laughed when Maggie was playing with her Rosary Beads like they were a cell phone.  She was swiping them up and down telling Al that she needed to do the required number of something with the beads.  Al asked "you're still on your beads?" when she wasn't paying attention to her.  😉

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I do have to ask, was it really a thing that Nuns actually inflicted harm upon themselves?  I do realize that this show is quite absurd, but is there an ounce of truth to that?  That part of the story was a little lost on me.  

I figured it was an homage to Monty Python😁

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, mammaM said:

I figured it was an homage to Monty Python

Thanks!  Don't throw tomatoes at me, but I never watched Monty Python!  I probably miss a lot of references having missed those shows. 

• Love 1