Type keyword(s) to search

Outcome Measure: Residential Media

• Start Topic

Twentieth Century Fox Television Distribution (TCFTVD) will be screening The Resident (above), which follows a trio of young doctors who are exposed to the harsh realities of life in the hospital by a brilliant but difficult senior. “It is terrific,” says TCFTVD’s senior VP and managing director of EMEA, David Smyth.

“It’s just a wonderful, fast-paced and compelling medical procedural about the business of medicine and the choices doctors have to make in very stressful conditions.”

Smyth notes the reaction has been “really hot”, with those that have seen it commenting on a “tremendous energy”.

http://tbivision.com/highlight/2017/05/la-screenings-2017-military-procedure/755192/

P.S. Thanks for the forum!

There are a number of hospital shows to choose from on TV, but The Resident is the one to pay attention to this winter. Matt Czuchry (The Good Wife, Gilmore Girls) proves he's more than ready to carry a series as the enigmatic renegade resident Conrad Hawkins. Our hero is not a rebel because he pulls off insane procedures or rides a motorcycle though; Conrad cuts red tape and talks about medicine the way we wish all doctors would talk about medicine, making him instantly relatable and the guy you want to win – even if he's a bit of a mess. Add in a steamy workplace romance with Emily VanCamp's Nurse Nic and a deluded Chief of Surgery Randolph Bell (Bruce Campbell) who can't stop killing patients because he can't admit he's past his prime and you have a very entertaining hour of television that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

http://www.tvguide.com/special/winter-preview/new-shows/

39 minutes ago, Happy Harpy said:

*finger crossed". And if the show will get a season 2 it's just because it was able to grab its audience's attention all by itself. No heavy promotion by TV media since most of them just chose to ignore and snub it for no good reasons.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Klapaucius said:

*finger crossed". And if the show will get a season 2 it's just because it was able to grab its audience's attention all by itself. No heavy promotion by TV media since most of them just chose to ignore and snub it for no good reasons.

If the show is renewed, I hope it will get the spot behind 9-1-1 because it makes sense. But sense and FOX's schedule, not always a good match.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Happy Harpy said:

If the show is renewed, I hope it will get the spot behind 9-1-1 because it makes sense. But sense and FOX's schedule, not always a good match.

Yeah, they should have paired it with 9-1-1 since the beginning. 

- Masked Wife and I have been enjoying "The Resident." I know there are naysayers, but for FOX, this and "9-1-1" are mainstream franchises with a bit of an edge. I am sorry FOX didn’t pair these two shows up. They may have had a night.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/tv-ratings-monday-march-19-2018/

• Love 2

Elsewhere, Fox populated the night with encore telecasts of dramas “Lucifer” (#4: 1.2/ 2 at 8 p.m.) and “The Resident” (#4: 1.2/ 2 at 9 p.m.), which I predict will both be back next season. And The CW featured just renewed “D.C.’s Legends of Tomorrow” (#5: 1.0/ 2 at 8 p.m.) into on the fence ‘iZombie” at 9 p.m. (#5: 0.6/ 1)

http://programminginsider.com/monday-overnights-modest-start-for-drama-the-crossing-on-abc/

The show also performed well in L+3 ratings for episode 9

http://programminginsider.com/live3-weekly-ratings-roseanne-season-premiere-on-abc-sets-all-time-tv-playback-record-in-total-viewer-increase/

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

It performs well in L+3 and even better in L+7. It's the second highest-rated FOX show, after 9-1-1 (now Empire will replace the latter, for sure) and it's consistently in the top 25 both in demos and viewers.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 2

They didn't renew anything yet, but short-run fall shows (Orville, The Gifted) as well as 9-1-1. Moreover, they might want to see how The Resident holds after the hiatus. It also depends on other factors like the quality of their pilots and many things are going to change at FOX (Disney buyout + new football night). L+3 and Live+7 aren't live ratings; so the renewal is looking good but nothing is certain.

On 3/4/2018 at 8:50 PM, Happy Harpy said:

They didn't renew anything yet, but short-run fall shows (Orville, The Gifted) as well as 9-1-1. Moreover, they might want to see how The Resident holds after the hiatus. It also depends on other factors like the quality of their pilots and many things are going to change at FOX (Disney buyout + new football night). L+3 and Live+7 aren't live ratings; so the renewal is looking good but nothing is certain.

I hope we'll get an official news asap. And for USA Today The Resident renewal is a sure bet.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2018/04/04/save-our-shows-2018-tv-whats-returning-nearly-dead-bubble/469399002/

• Love 1

Something someone should have talked about since the show's premiere. I also believe that some TV media are really snubbing the show because the medical field is not pleased by it. 

This inquiring mind wants to know: is there a single soul out there watching and enjoying The Resident under the guise of it being a factual, exemplary depiction of the medical field and healthcare system?

I pose this question because apathetic souls in hell are aware of the vitriol and criticism directed at this drama. The most vocal is "Medical Twitter" – a plethora of doctors, nurses, techs and more vowing to gauge their eyes out rather than watch the show

The biggest gripe from these boisterous naysayers is the appallingly bad portrayal of the most rudimentary medical tasks. Fine, I get that.

It can be difficult when a layman inaccurately portrays a field. But, how much of the negativity is due to errors and questionable scenarios, and how much of it is due to The Resident's focus on the darker side of healthcare?

This isn't the first medical drama to drop the ball on properly depicting the field, but this is the first time I've noticed medical professionals being this outraged.

Is it because the underlying premise causes discomfort? It certainly seems that way.

wing to gauge their eyes out rather than watch the show.

https://www.tvfanatic.com/2018/04/the-resident-why-should-medical-accuracy-be-prioritized-over-ent/#disqus_thread

Edited by Klapaucius
  • Love 4

After a three weeks hiatus, The Resident is back steady at 0.9. It's actually the second most-watch scripted show of the night (yeah, everyone is fractional but still) and it built 0.2 from Lucifer's demo low. Another encouraging sign, it actually grew between the two half-hours.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, Happy Harpy said:

After a three weeks hiatus, The Resident is back steady at 0.9. It's actually the second most-watch scripted show of the night (yeah, everyone is fractional but still) and it built 0.2 from Lucifer's demo low. Another encouraging sign, it actually grew between the two half-hours.

Let's renew it, Fox.

• Love 6

TV line has a poll to chose the 7 shows their readers want to save. I don't think The Resident is danger...but let's vote for it if you want

http://tvline.com/2018/04/27/cancelled-renewed-bubble-show-list-2018-poll-vote

Sneak peek from tonight episode. Malcom-Jamal Warner joins the cast.

http://ew.com/tv/2018/04/30/malcolm-jamal-warner-the-resident-exclusive-clip

And another TV Fanatic article

https://www.tvfanatic.com/slideshows/19-reasons-why-you-should-watch-the-resident

• Love 2
(edited)

The Fix was ordered to series by ABC (yay! Adelawe Akinnouye-Agbaje and Robin Tunney!) so I guess that Claire/Merrin Dungey shouldn't be back on The Resident next season.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 1

SO excited we don't have to wait like eight months for S2 ... I confess to being a HUGE fan of this show. Will be interested to see if they add any of the guest recurrings to the new cast ... fingers crossed for more Micah please. I'm guessing that we've probably seen the last of MJW though ... I thought he was awesome but think after the season finale his role may have run its course and he'll go out on a high note. Has there been any word on cast for S2 now that they've announced it?

(edited)
9 minutes ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

SO excited we don't have to wait like eight months for S2 ... I confess to being a HUGE fan of this show. Will be interested to see if they add any of the guest recurrings to the new cast ... fingers crossed for more Micah please. I'm guessing that we've probably seen the last of MJW though ... I thought he was awesome but think after the season finale his role may have run its course and he'll go out on a high note. Has there been any word on cast for S2 now that they've announced it?

No, no announcement yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the complete cast to return.

Edited by Happy Harpy
51 minutes ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

I think the opposite about MJW; I think he'll be promoted to a series regular and then ruin him with being stuck in a love triangle. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I think the opposite about MJW; I think he'll be promoted to a series regular and then ruin him with being stuck in a love triangle. 

That's why I hope not BUT that said you are probably right ... I think he's been really awesome in his role and I love how he's been the catalyst for Mina (and hopefully Mina and Micah) ... but Austin is such a ... larger-than-life? ... character, I just can't see him sustaining his vibe for an entire season ... because I really have fallen in love with this show, I am PRAYING they cut him loose now with his having used his powers for good, LOL, and not letting it get more heavy-handed. I LOVED their scene together. I loved their both showing emotions and soft hearts deep down and tears. And now it's time for him to go. And for her to be with Micah.

JMO. 

4 minutes ago, Happy Harpy said:

I like her, but I hope it doesn't mean Melina Kanakaredes is gone.

I think she's gone...as series regular. I expect her to make some guest appearances but since her character was arrested (and likely convicted) I doubt we'll see her so often next season.

(edited)
2 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

I think she's gone...as series regular. I expect her to make some guest appearances but since her character was arrested (and likely convicted) I doubt we'll see her so often next season.

1 hour ago, Emma said:

Thanks.

For me, the Lane storyline was what got the show to really take off. I'm not sure I'll like it as much without her to spice it up. I do hope she'll be back in some capacity.

Also, I don't know what to think about losing three female characters and seeing two of them "replaced" by male characters.

Edited by Happy Harpy
(edited)
54 minutes ago, Happy Harpy said:

For me, the Lane storyline was what got the show to really take off. I'm not sure I'll like it as much without her to spice it up. I do hope she'll be back in some capacity.

I'm pretty sure we didn't see the last of Lane but IMO the Lane storyline worked because it didn't last too long so as much as I enjoyed MK in that role I'm ok with that departure. I like the other characters and the dynamics between them enough to keep watching it just for them and I'm pretty interested in what could happen now that Conrad's dad is the Hospital chairman. I think they'll find other ways to spice it up, hopefully in a different way and with a different season's story arc.  

Also, I don't know what to think about losing three female characters and seeing two of them "replaced" by male characters.

For me it's just getting rid of characters who are not essential to the show's next season storyline with other ones who already are or will be. 

And in Merrin Dungey's case it's not up to the show's EPs, since her pilot was ordered to series so they had to write her out.

Edited by Klapaucius
  • Love 2