Type keyword(s) to search

Outcome Measure: Residential Media

• Start Topic

On 9/23/2022 at 8:57 AM, Soapy Goddess said:

Depends on which room you're reading. 

I like the Gigi actress, so I'll look forward to 604.

It’s great if you’re into the family aspect but as a show that’s promoted as a soapy medical drama and an audience member who enjoyed the first three seasons of said medical drama the sudden shift from that to Conrad/Gigi leaves me cold. I can barely tolerate too much Conrad at the best of times and prefer the supporting characters. I liked Nic and miss her character but the focus on Gigi doesn’t do much for her memory. If I wanted to remember her I’d just watch old episodes.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I get your point, Avabelle.  It just bothers me when people say they don't like the actress, when what they really mean is that they don't like the character. Two completely different things. 

Like many Resident fans, I also miss Nic, Mina and the characters that are sorely missing.

And personally speaking, I can't stand Cade. I mean if they have to fill Nic's shoes, they could have done a lot better IMO.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, Soapy Goddess said:

It just bothers me when people say they don't like the actress, when what they really mean is that they don't like the character

I, for one, dislike both. The character would be fine like other child characters in other shows: rarely seen, mentioned occasionally, part of the cast but in thoughts and mentions only. 

The actress is simply not good enough to be a big part of the show. The writers probably didn't think about having Gigi aging fast if not for Nic's departure, so it feels like they are just trying to come up with stories to fill a void. I also don't care about stories that are not centered on the premise of the show. Can't stand Conrad and basically watch the show for Bruce Greenwood. Will certainly skip the episode, if it is all Conrad/Gigi

2 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

I get your point, Avabelle.  It just bothers me when people say they don't like the actress, when what they really mean is that they don't like the character. Two completely different things.

If people are personally attacking the actress I agree but I don’t think there’s anything wrong in calling out that she’s not a very strong actress. The character is eye rolling but the actress doesn’t do much to endear her to me either. Granted the dialogue written for her is as hallmark as it comes. 

• Love 1

It’s happening…

The Resident Boss Unpacks Billie and Conrad's Pivotal Episode 100 Moment: It Is 'No Doubt a Turning Point'

“I think Conrad has been in denial about his feelings for the first half of the season,” Jones admits. “He truly is attracted to Cade, but that attraction was predicated on his mistaken notion that Billie, as Nic’s best friend, was off limits for him. During the dance, and in moments leading up to this dance, the chemistry between them begins to be undeniable.”

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I’d buy the above had they had any interaction indicating a deep friendship in season four. Maybe Jessica Lucas pregnancy impacted how many scenes she was available for but she was still there so save for one scene near the end of the season and then Raptor announcing he knew she was in love with Conrad the whole relationship feels like a lot of exposition.

I like them though so they should go for it. I just think they missed opportunities to write it better.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Whenever its Fall finale is, the show returns January 3 http://thefutoncritic.com/news/2022/11/07/fox-announces-premiere-dates-for-new-and-returning-series-to-launch-winter-2023-422510/20221107fox01/

ETA: To note, it looks like the season only has 13 episodes (according to executive producer Amy Jones on Twitter) and so it appears the winter return will only be for 2 weeks before 9-1-1: Lone Star takes over the slot on January 17. A bit weird

Edited by DanaK
  • Sad 1
9 hours ago, DanaK said:

Whenever its Fall finale is, the show returns January 3 http://thefutoncritic.com/news/2022/11/07/fox-announces-premiere-dates-for-new-and-returning-series-to-launch-winter-2023-422510/20221107fox01/

ETA: To note, it looks like the season only has 13 episodes (according to executive producer Amy Jones on Twitter) and so it appears the winter return will only be for 2 weeks before 9-1-1: Lone Star takes over the slot on January 17. A bit weird

iirc this season was only 13 episodes because of ratings & negotiations taking a but longer than expected.

This is just a weird season of TV schedule-wise tbh

Edited by bros402

The Futon Critic says the Fall finale is December 6

On 11/8/2022 at 12:57 PM, statsgirl said:

Totally.  Isn't this supposed to be November sweeps? And yet half of my TV shows are repeats, as The Resident was last week.

This  TV season has definitely been a bit weird, including so many shows having their Fall finales in November

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Here we go again with Padma. 🙄

The Resident Boss Explains That 'Overwhelming' Fall Finale Cliffhanger: Will Padma Survive Season 6?

“Unfortunately, Mina’s quite difficult to replace, both for him emotionally and for me emotionally,” Jones admits with a laugh. “I had absolutely no desire to see her go. That was really painful. But there will be an answer, for sure. It’s also possible the love of [Raptor’s] life will be his sons.”

On 12/26/2022 at 4:11 AM, SnazzyDaisy said:

Unfortunately, Mina’s quite difficult to replace, both for him emotionally and for me emotionally,” Jones admits with a laugh. “I had absolutely no desire to see her go. That was really painful. But there will be an answer, for sure. It’s also possible the love of [Raptor’s] life will be his sons.”

I quite like the above sentence. Lots of people don’t move on from great love and while it’s sad it’s also because they are fulfilled in other ways. I could fully believe that the raptor would be happy as a father with a successful surgical career. At least while the kids are young. If that’s how his story ends at least we can always just assume he possibly found love again or maybe reunited with Mina later in life. 

• Like 3

wow, if I lived in Atlanta, I'd love to go check it out. Looks like a lot of good stuff. Funny I can't actually recall any of those things on the show but i guess I just never really noticed. I wonder why they went so designer for some of the clothes though. The characters on the show aren't shown to be super wealthy and seem to be more middle to upper middle class and they work and probably still paying off student loans, so I'm not sure how realistic wearing some of those high end designer clothes really are. 

• Like 1

Can’t say I’m surprised. There was a real lack of compelling characters once Nic was gone, and they blew it with giving Padma so much airtime and the loveless Billie/Conrad relationship. They had about as much passion as two Chia Pets and it always felt forced to me. Ian’s addiction storyline has already been done on other medical shows and nothing made it stand out from similar plots on ER and New Amsterdam or whatever other medical drama did it. 

I wish they had played up KitBell more than Billie/Conrad and the triangle with Cade, honestly. I tend to prefer TV relationships with mature, more settled people in love. 

• Like 4

The Resident is officially cancelled by Fox.

Matt moving on to American Horror Story. I love him but won’t watch that show.

I am sad about it because I enjoyed the show and love several of the actors. And didn’t get to see enough of Ian Anthony Dale!

• Like 2