Type keyword(s) to search

David Duchovny: Why Won't You Love Me?

Haha, that whole tumblr is gold. Looks like he might have been feeling a bit nostalgic. The pic of Mulder and Scully in smiley face boxers is too funny :)

I would love to know the what or why behind what caused that.  :)    Why, David, why?   And Welcome, M.F. Luder!   Great name!

• Love 1

I apologize that this is OT, but ... I understand tracking things he "Likes" since I assume they'll show up with a "Liked by" designation just as posts here do, and among those listed users will be DD.  But how was this person able to track things he merely looked at?  The abdication of privacy rights by social media users never fails to blow my mind, and unless I'm reading that post wrong, this sounds like another example.  So, if it is, in fact, incorrect that someone was able to track what he viewed, I'd love to be corrected via PM (so as not to further derail).

Back on topic, it is adorable that DD was praising internet odes to XF.  He seemed like a rather different person, with respect to XF, at that WonderCon that took place during the filming of IWTB and he has just become more charming since. 

• Love 1

I apologize that this is OT, but ... I understand tracking things he "Likes" since I assume they'll show up with a "Liked by" designation just as posts here do, and among those listed users will be DD.  But how was this person able to track things he merely looked at?  The abdication of privacy rights by social media users never fails to blow my mind, and unless I'm reading that post wrong, this sounds like another example.  So, if it is, in fact, incorrect that someone was able to track what he viewed, I'd love to be corrected via PM (so as not to further derail).

Back on topic, it is adorable that DD was praising internet odes to XF.  He seemed like a rather different person, with respect to XF, at that WonderCon that took place during the filming of IWTB and he has just become more charming since. 

Good point.

But maybe their likes are kind of similar to how they are on the forums? That's my best guess.

Yea it is :). And really nice of him tbh.

I don't think instagram tracks what you view. The person who put together that post assumed that David was viewing all pictures tagged as 'davidduchovny' and then they reviewed each post to see if David was included in the users who liked it.

Both David and Gillian seem to be more comfortable with their x-files related fame now, and it's really nice to see that. All of the events they did together in 2013 were such a treat for all of us fans.

• Love 2

I don't think instagram tracks what you view. The person who put together that post assumed that David was viewing all pictures tagged as 'davidduchovny' and then they reviewed each post to see if David was included in the users who liked it.

Both David and Gillian seem to be more comfortable with their x-files related fame now, and it's really nice to see that. All of the events they did together in 2013 were such a treat for all of us fans.

Oh, gotcha... I was wondering then how she was able to track what he looked at if he didn't like it.

I do love this new David.  I'm glad time away from the show seems to have improved things.  Seems like he really enjoys the fandom now, and things are like a 180 between him and Gillian.  I remember all the awkwardness back in the day and the rumors about how they didn't get along.  :'(

• Love 1

I do not understand Tumblr. Can someone explain to me what the actual point of it is? 

On topic, it's cute that David liked all of those pictures. He clearly he has too much time on his hands.

Excuse me, I need to go yell at the neighborhood kids to get off my lawn...

Okay, thanks - I hope it was just an assumption.  (I don't even really know what Instagram is, let alone how it works.)  This, on top of posting a big clump of pictures he "saw" with the ones he "liked" marked in green, made it seem like this person was able to track what he viewed:

It appears to this author that he went in patches, ‘liking’ everything in a clump of giddy humor and/or nostalgia, and then scrolled through more disturbing or irrelevant content until reaching other high-impact regions.

I do not understand Tumblr. Can someone explain to me what the actual point of it is? 

I just saw this...  I don't know that there is much point to Tumblr, other than it being a giant time suck. :)  I originally signed up to follow a handful of blogs for DD & GA news. Like I found out about the DD instagram liking, and all of the DD & GA tweets to each other via Tumblr, since I don't rarely check Twitter.  I also am a gif junkie and it's full of stupid gif sets for me to admire.  They say they're blogs, but most of the blogs on Tumblr are not blogs in the traditional sense.  It's just people posting random stuff, reblogging other people's comments, gif sets.  Just another form of social media.  

Thanks, queequeg. That clears it up a bit.

I guess I'm just a bit of an old fart.  I don't have any form of social media.  That, and the school district I work for wouldn't hesitate to stalk people's accounts for any untoward behavior. But mostly the old fart thing. Hah. 

• Love 1

Same here (an old fart who doesn't use social media).  I've found some Tumblr sites about things I like through searches or links, but then it always turned out to be just a bunch of pictures, with a ton of hashtags but no discussion, so I'd walk away disappointed.

Why is that silly song becoming a thing again?

And why is DD stealing Mr. Rogers' wardrobe?

Because :P.

Frankly it's no big deal lol. Just an old joke. What's old is new again, I guess.

XD Nice one. It is a beautiful day in the neighborhood ;).

Hot damn, Duchovny looks amazing. Yummy! I've always liked him, though I know he's been a jerk in the past.

It's nice that he's embracing his Mulder, especially since he went on and did well on Californication (which I never watch because didn't get the channel).

Ok, throwing it out there --> New Thread Name:  David Duchovy: Why Won't You Love Me?

Come on, let's do it!!

Guys. I just listened to another one of DD's songs, and it was so, so painful. I mean, good for him and all that, but...

• Love 1

Ikr? I think if he gave these song to someone who could carry a tune it wouldn't be so, so bad. The one that was almost 7 mins long felt like it was going on forever. I did lol at some of the comments on the rolling stone article.

(edited)

He sounds better than I thought he would. I wouldn't necessarily say he has a good voice, but it's not unpleasant to listen to. The music is okay. I thought the lyrics would be the best part of the album, but so far, I find them very cheesy and cliche. Overall, it reminds me of the type of music a high school kid would create to try to be the deep, artsy guy that gets girls.

I'm happy for him as this is something he's proud of and it does take guts. 

Edited by M.F. Luder
(edited)

I've listened to two songs (though actually not all the way through in either case) and I didn't think they were awful or that he was awful, but it all just sounds...amateurish. Which is to be expected for someone who's new at all of this, so that's not such a bad thing, just people usually have a smaller audience when they're brand new. Like...high schooler plucking away in their bedroom brand new, is what I mean. So I do feel a sense of cringe-y embarrassment watching this, for example. But also if he's having fun with it then good for him for trying something new and just going for it.

Edited by smrou
  • Love 1

I'm not doing it.  Nope.  I cannot bring myself to listen to any of his music.

I didn't want to but my sister, to be evil, played one of the songs from Soundcloud at such a volume that even sticking my fingers in my ears and shouting 'la la la' couldn't drown it out. It wasn't great or even good but it wasn't completely embarrassing or outright bad either. That said I have no desire to hear more. 

• Love 1

I posted about this song in the song-a-thon thread, she's updated it for 2016. She wants to kiss Scully now instead of kill her. As she should. If it was my song it would be "Dana Scully Why Won't You Love Me"  which admittedly doen't have as nice a ring but.........

Given the name of the thread, I think people will appreciate the fact that the AV Club posted the old video and song. Good lord, that song is so 90s it should be wearing flannel and/or a baby doll dress. It's hilarious that he was caught singing it.

And tons of cameos.  Brad Pitt and Buffy!  It's worth watching for all the celebrities and the red speedo.

So to my intense shame, I just broke down and watched the first season of Californication. I hate it, and yet I can't stop watching. Goddamn you, David Duchovny. I will say, though, that he's very good in it. I was sort of expecting Hank Moody to be a sleazier version of Fox Mulder, because the accepted wisdom on DD is that he has zero range as an actor, but actually he seems totally different and I'm very rarely even reminded of Mulder.

• Love 1

Having now skimmed my way through all seven seasons of Californication in about a week (easy to do if you skip everything that's gross, stupid and/or pointless), here's what I've taken away from it: David Duchovny looks great with stubble, he's really good at acting depressed, he can have chemistry with literally anyone, and he manages to get through seven seasons of misery and self-pity without once busting out the dread Mulder cryface. I wonder if it was in his contract that he wouldn't have to cry?

But seriously, he's very good. There's a bit in early season 6 where Hank is in a pit of depression and doing his best to drink himself to death, and he finally talks to Karen about it and tells her, "It hurts to be awake." And that's a line that could have gone horribly wrong and maybe deserved to, but the way Duchov says it, it's so weighted with bone-deep sadness it makes me feel a little bit sick just hearing it. Californication doesn't deserve a performance that good.

And honestly I'm sort of shocked. Like, I thought he was very good at playing Mulder, but watching Mulder's big emotional scenes on The X-Files is sort of like watching an Olympic figure-skater set up a jump. You know he can do it, but you're never quite sure if he will do it, and there's always the potential for a spectacular crash. On Californication, as far as I can tell, he never puts a foot wrong. Too bad the show is so terrible 95% of the time.

• Love 2