Type keyword(s) to search

Gillian Anderson

I happened to notice that Streetcar is playing in my city tonight, so I thought I'd pop down and see it. I'm not familiar with it at all (except there's a man called Stanley who's apparently a bad egg?) so it looks like I'm in for a surprise, and with all the raves I've heard here it feels like an event too good to miss.

I don't dare buy a ticket online and get the ticket per e-mail (don't have a printer and my phone might not access the ticket?! I don't trust it) but it looks like there won't be a problem buying it on site before it starts, unless there's a flood of people last minute. We shall see.

• Love 1

Well that was pretty fantastic. Gillian was superb, I don't know how the hell she does it every night. What a character. Just amazing to see her play such a role. I wasn't expecting the stage to be set up like it was, that it was an auditorium, I've never seen it like that before. So glad I went!

Has anyone seen this movie?!  I stumbled across it when looking for clips from when Gillian was on The Daily Show...

You guys, I bet this movie is terrible since I've never heard of it, but this is so me right now...

1962zb5pr5w89gif.gif

Oh yeah - saw it in the theatres, recorded it on VHS, and now have it on DVD.

Great cast, cute little film, and some terrific dialogue between Gena Rowlands' and Sean Connery's characters.

Dylan McDermott – whom I was drooling over on The Practice at the time – was slated to play opposite Gillian, and when they went with Jon Stewart, I was disappointed.  Heh – fast forward, and Jon Stewart is one of my favorite people.

• Love 1
Has anyone seen this movie?!  I stumbled across it when looking for clips from when Gillian was on The Daily Show...

Seen it?!  Only, like, a dozen times (I own the DVD, but I'm not sure I've even played it more than once, but the movie used to play on TV pretty regularly and if I ever stumbled across it I had to watch).  It's a freaking adorable movie.  I can't believe you haven't seen it!  

Ahem. For those interested and who hadn't realized, The Fall season 2 with Gillian and Jamie Dornan just started last week in the UK. It's still great.

I haven't seen the second episode yet but I saw the first last week and it was terrific.  Such a good show.

Edited by smrou

To get to play both Dana Scully and Stella Gibson is a pretty cool career in and of itself, never mind everything else GA has done.

I won't see season two until it's out on DVD, but I look forward to it.

• Love 1

Seen it?!  Only, like, a dozen times (I own the DVD, but I'm not sure I've even played it more than once, but the movie used to play on TV pretty regularly and if I ever stumbled across it I had to watch).  It's a freaking adorable movie.  I can't believe you haven't seen it!  

It really is a cute movie. I've only seen it a couple times.  Once, when it came out and i went to see it, and then a few times when I've stumbled on it and seen bits and pieces but never the whole thing straight through.  With all the actors in it, I'm surprised it never got more notice.  

I need to get a Netflix account (and move into the 21st century) just for The Fall, I think.

As part of my post-Streetcar sputtering, I declared that Gillian better be nominated for an Olivier.  Well, maybe she's on her way; she just won the Best Actress prize at the London Evening Standard theatre awards.

I was lucky enough to see her perform in London and I was blown away. I was surprised how much the play affected me emotionally. Gillian definitely deserves that award, and I hope there are more to come.

That was awesome! Gillian at her absolute best. I've never listened to the show before and found the guys a bit annoying at first speaking over Gillian but they got into a good groove. #XFiles2015 indeed.

A shame it wasn't two hours so they could've gotten to Hannibal and The Fall and I wished someone would have asked what her feelings were for the shitshow Crisis. I'm sure she knows it was trash.

Edited by joelene

Yeah, it was so great.  Gillian seemed very relaxed and it was a fun chat.  I did wish they would've talked about Hannibal and The Fall more.  Especially The Fall since I LOVE that show and Stella Gibson is such an amazing character and she didn't really get a chance to talk about her. 

I've never listened to the show before and found the guys a bit annoying at first speaking over Gillian but they got into a good groove.

I used to listen to every episode but for the last year or so I only listen to ones when the person is particularly interesting.  Part of the reason I stopped listening to every episode was because of certain things Chris Hardwick does that annoy me, and his talking over his guests--particularly when they're starting to say something and he sort of guesses where they're going with it and jumps in to ask about that rather than let them finish--is one of them.  But I didn't think he was bad in this episode.  Matt...well, I find Matt really amusing, so I kind of like when he jumps in.

It was hilarious! I laughed out loud many times. Especially about the focus on David Duchovny's jeans :)

I think it was interesting to hear her talk about a potential for an X-Files miniseries when in the past she has shot that down. Maybe she was just joking around, but it sounded like she was seriously wondering if that was something people would be interested in seeing. Makes me wonder if it's a possibility.

I also would have liked to hear her thoughts on Crisis. I'm not so sure if she knew it was crap because she seemed genuinely into it while she was doing press for it. 

I think everyone who signed on to Crisis (based on the pilot script) genuinely believed it was compelling television, and that the short-run format would ensure that energy and suspense could be sustained.  It's the stunning downhill slide afterward that I'd love to hear Gillian - or anyone - talk honestly about now that it's over, although they're probably just happy to leave it behind.  When a 13-episode series has to be shut down for retooling after five episodes because it has already gone off the rails, you're in trouble.  And that show was utter rubbish by the end (and, yes, because of her and because it was only 13 episodes, I watched to the bitter, stupid end).

That was really interesting. I didn't watch X-files when it was on, so I missed all the brouhaha at the time. I found interesting how hard it was for her at the beginning and she felt she couldn't pull off being a medical doctor and "bossing everyone around".

I've just rewatched a few season 1 episodes, and I can see what she means. Although, I think it works well, Scully is not a field agent, she's barely out of the academy and she is thrown into this with a crackpot guy who is overly sarcastic and doesn't trust her while at the same time, she is between a rock and a hard place having to "write her reports".

I think Gillian being overwhelmed translates well into Scully being overwhelmed and trying to keep it together. I would not expect Scully to have it all together in every way. Even without considering all that, she did a phenomenal job. It's funny that she didn't have enough trust in her acting ability that she felt the need to look up all those terms in order to convey she knew what she was talking about. Gillian Anderson, even as a baby actor could act circles around most people. I'm really glad they didn't fire her. The show wouldn't have lasted and would certainly be so much worse for it.

I wonder if she had a Cesarean so they could schedule better? Overall, poor her. She might not have had a sense of what a big deal getting pregnant was but she certainly did everything she could to keep it going.

• Love 1

I wonder if she had a Cesarean so they could schedule better?

As I recall, the C-section was not planned, but the result of complications.  And I definitely remember her "maternity leave" was 10 days long - four of which were spent in hospital.  She has said if she could go back and do it over, she'd have put her foot down on not coming back so soon.

Oh I believe they thought Crisis had a good pilot, because the idea wasn't half bad, so I understand why Gillian would do it. But, yeah, word to the rest of your post about it, Bastet. I couldn't continue past 6-7 episodes.

Back to Nerdist. When one of the guys mentioned "the episode on the ship were you aged" and Gillian said Triangle (and was proud for remembering the title) I shouted in my head, no! That's Dod Kalm! You're confusing the two! Obviously, for silly fanatical reasons, this really frustrated me for about five seconds.

Edited by joelene

Back to Nerdist. When one of the guys mentioned "the episode on the ship were you aged" and Gillian said Triangle (and was proud for remembering the title) I shouted in my head, no! That's Dod Kalm! You're confusing the two! Obviously, for silly fanatical reasons, this really frustrated me for about five seconds.

Haha! And she seemed to think that Beyond the Sea happened in the 3rd season, which is frustrating because she talks about how green she was in the 1st season, but that episode proved that she could convincingly pull off the character even that early on. 

• Love 1

I just listened to this today!  It was actually strange to here her American accent again, as most of the interviews I've seen with her lately have been from the UK, and I just watched Bleak House this past weekend.

I still think it's hilarious how terrible she is with remembering information from the show.  Did you know Triangle was the one about aging on a ship?  ;)

I love that they'd still love to do another movie or so, and maybe even a tv mini-series wouldn't be entirely out of the question.

• Love 1

I just listened to this today!  It was actually strange to here her American accent again, as most of the interviews I've seen with her lately have been from the UK, and I just watched Bleak House this past weekend.

I still think it's hilarious how terrible she is with remembering information from the show.  Did you know Triangle was the one about aging on a ship?  ;)

I love that they'd still love to do another movie or so, and maybe even a tv mini-series wouldn't be entirely out of the question.

ROTFL, nice one Gillian! XD

That one was Dod Kalm. Thank you Wikipedia! Forgot the name of that one. There was a ship, so it's easy to get those two confused.

Yea it's kind of cool and it's nice to see they're open to a mini series too. As long as it's on regular channels and not HBO, Cinemax, Netflix or Amazon.

Yea, but if they'd gotten the rights from them it could be elsewhere. That's why I mentioned the others. Hopefully it is still in Fox's hands, but hopefully no 

reboot

. I HATE said word so much, that I've spoiled it :P. We want the originals thank you, Fox.

And we need to find out who the higher ups are so we can tweet them. We've tried a letter writing campaign and Twitter before and they didn't work, so it wouldn't hurt to try to contact further up the ladder if possible.

#XFiles2015 Just listened to the podcast and it is nothing short of spectacular! Probably the best, most relaxed interview I have ever heard with her.  Loved it! And X-Philes "Pick up the phone and MAKE.IT.HAPPEN!"

• Love 1

It was hilarious! I laughed out loud many times. Especially about the focus on David Duchovny's jeans :)

I was dying every time they brought that up. Also loled at them explaining to Gillian the current Fox line up with so many Gordan Ramsey shows.

(edited)

Top Gear is that car show she wanted to do before, but couldn't because she was pregnant, right?  Few things bore me more than watching people drive (or drool over cars), so I doubt it's my kind of show, but if I get home in time I'll give it a whirl.

Ugh, I see the episode is an hour and a half long and about pick-up trucks.  No thanks.  Hopefully she's on toward the end, and I can catch that; it starts at 5:30 for me (West coast, but I get the East coast feed from my satellite).

Edited by Bastet

Top Gear is that car show she wanted to do before, but couldn't because she was pregnant, right?  Few things bore me more than watching people drive (or drool over cars), so I doubt it's my kind of show, but if I get home in time I'll give it a whirl.

Ugh, I see the episode is an hour and a half long and about pick-up trucks.  No thanks.  Hopefully she's on toward the end, and I can catch that; it starts at 5:30 for me (West coast, but I get the East coast feed from my satellite).

It'll be around 8:30 eastern then.

Top Gear is as much a comedy show as a car show, though as someone who has a particular interest in cars the car bit is what first drew me to it. I used to watch it religiously but stopped some years ago because I began to tire of it (and, more specifically, found Jeremy Clarkson more and more difficult to take). At any rate, the Star in a Reasonably Priced Car segment is only about ten minutes long. If you record it you could just skip to that part. 

• Love 1