Type keyword(s) to search

Gillian Anderson

Yes, and she is shameless!! LOL. "David, did you wanna say something. He's in the shower." OMG! Made my day. I know she is joking of course.

I just love her because she doesn't care if she is on camera with no make up on. 

• Love 2

I can't get it to load, but I can't fault them the fun they're having toying with fans since it is like shooting fish in a barrel.

As for going without makeup on camera (something I always notice as someone who hasn't worn makeup for about 15 years), I remember when she attended a promotional event - perhaps even a premiere - for Straightheads with her hair in a ponytail and a fairly fresh face.  And, of course, she looked beautiful.

• Love 1

I probably just need to do it in Firefox, instead; IE seems to hate Tumblr (which I kind of do, too, except when there's something I want to see, heh).

Okay, yeah, it works in Firefox.  HA!  I love that it's not some faux "sorry, I just got up" thing with artfully tousled hair and a layer of foundation.

Yeah she really looks disoriented. i love when she asks "Where should I look?" Or she can't quite decide whether she would have her English accent or American accent. That made me laugh.

I could not watch "straightheads" The rape scenes i cannot handle. Although what amazing acting from the clips I saw.

(edited)

Yes, and she is shameless!! LOL. "David, did you wanna say something. He's in the shower." OMG! Made my day. I know she is joking of course.

I just love her because she doesn't care if she is on camera with no make up on. 

Lmao XD. Silly goose :P. It's for a good cause so that's cool. And some of the comments on the tumblr are priceless XD.

Edited by AntiBeeSpray

I can't get it to load, but I can't fault them the fun they're having toying with fans since it is like shooting fish in a barrel.

As for going without makeup on camera (something I always notice as someone who hasn't worn makeup for about 15 years), I remember when she attended a promotional event - perhaps even a premiere - for Straightheads with her hair in a ponytail and a fairly fresh face.  And, of course, she looked beautiful.

Neither can I, Bastet. They're just having a little harmless fun :). And it's fricken cute.

Ok guys, if you love Gillian's acting, you must try to see the live broadcast of Streetcar in Cinemas across the world on September 16. I was lucky enough to see the play live, and she (and the whole production) was breathtaking. I'm still shattered by it a day later.

• Love 1

Yes, a friend and I are planning on doing that since it will be showing at a local movie theatre and tickets are only $20.  I like the play, and she's getting stellar reviews for her performance, so I'm in.

I plan to go see it at a local theatre, too, though so far I don't have anyone to go with.  I was so excited when I got the news that they were doing a live stream.  And I'm so envious of you, GeorgieNY, that you got to see the show in person.  

What did she do on Reddit?

I guess I'll finally have to watch that season one Hannibal Blu-Ray set I bought, then get season two, and tune in for season three.  I bought it because of all the rave reviews, but I've never actually set down to watch it.  I really ought to give it a try.  Hell, I watched Crisis for her, and that sucked.

Aahaha, that's so great. Go Gillian, indeed!

I guess I'll finally have to watch that season one Hannibal Blu-Ray set I bought, then get season two, and tune in for season three. I bought it because of all the rave reviews, but I've never actually set down to watch it. I really ought to give it a try. Hell, I watched Crisis for her, and that sucked.

Do it! I think the show is really amazing and it's worth sticking with. Season 1 was great and season 2 even better. The season 2 finale is the best thing I've seen on tv this year. If you've seen Bryan Fuller's other shows he uses a lot of "his" actors and even a character from Wonderfalls pops up. Gillian first appears in episode 8.

And, oh god, Crisis. What a piece of shit. Not even Gillian could make me keep going all the way through it (I think I stopped at episode 7-8).

Oh, my ... I'm not sure I can express how fantastic Gillian is in Streetcar.  I've read the play, seen it perfromed twice prior to this and seen the film, and I think Blanche is a difficult role to play -- written in an era of melodramatic acting, the character is hard to pull off now.  Too often, an actor either loses her mental fragility or over-plays it and comes off like a cartoon.

Gillian NAILED it.  My friend had only a passing familiarity with the play and thus, caught unaware by much of what unfolds, was knocked back by the emotional punch it packs.  Being well-versed in the play I, on the other hand ... was knocked back by the emotional punch it packs.

I was a little apprehensive going in; some productions make Stanley too sympathetic a character.  This one gives you insight into why he feels and behaves as he does, certainly, but it doesn't try to excuse his brutality.  And, fundamentally, I don't often like filmed theatrical performances; it just doesn't translate well much of the time.  There's no substitute for being there, obviously (and to see this play in an intimate "theatre in the round" setting would be amazing), but they did one of the best jobs I've seen with the cameras. 

It was just a wonderful experience, and all the accolades are well earned.  Vanessa Kirby did a terrific job with Stella, too.  Gillian, as per usual, did a remarkable job not just with the big scenes but with so many little asides and mannerisms that really connect you to the character.  But, boy, did she nail those big scenes.  Just stunning, really; at our screening, the play's end was followed by several moments of silence, broken by exhalations of "Wow," "Oh my god," and, my favorite, "Holy shit."

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

I just have to agree with everything you said, Bastet.  It was a great production and Gillian was extraordinary.  

Just stunning, really; at our screening, the play's end was followed by several moments of silence, broken by exhalations of "Wow," "Oh my god," and, my favorite, "Holy shit."

Yeah, it was really interesting to hear the reactions in the theatre from the other members of the audience.  There weren't a lot of people there and based on conversations I heard before the show the people near me were people who regularly go to these sorts of filmed theatre events because they were talking about the other plays or operas they'd seen.  They definitely weren't there because they know or care about Gillian Anderson.  I heard one person make a comment right at the end, as Blanche was walking off with the doctor along the lines of, "Wow.  She is incredible."  And then right after it ended during the curtain calls there was just a lot "That was amazing" "She is amazing" "Oh my goodness".  [Also, on the topic of the audience at my showing, I walked out behind a man and his daughter (or so I assume), who looked to be about 12.  I was surprised to see anyone so young.  Most of the audience was middle aged or older.]

Anyway, I was pretty blown away.  And I felt exhausted at the end.  I don't know how Gillian does that night after night.

Edited by smrou

Anyway, I was pretty blown away.  And I felt exhausted at the end.  I don't know how Gillian does that night after night.

As soon as I recovered my powers of speech, that was my remark -- I can't imagine how exhausted she is, because I'm exhausted just from watching it.  This same friend and I had gone to see a performance of Blood Knot and the actors came back out afterward for a Q&A with the audience.  But they had a hard time time formulating thoughts, let alone articulating them, because they were so emotionally worn out from what they'd just spent two hours exploring. 

There weren't a lot of people there and based on conversations I heard before the show the people near me were people who regularly go to these sorts of filmed theatre events because they were talking about the other plays or operas they'd seen.  They definitely weren't there because they know or care about Gillian Anderson.

There were probably 50-60 people at the showing I attended, and based on conversation during the intermission I'd estimate it was a 60/40 split as to those who went for the play and those who went for Gillian.  Based on conversation afterward, she picked up quite a few new fans.

Edited by Bastet

Just adding a few comments on the cinecast last night- I was so lucky to be able to travel to London to see this live and was devastated by it, I didn't think it would be as devastating on film, but I was wrong! The close ups added a lot and there were moments I missed because of the stage revolve that I got to see in the screening that broke my heart.

I will say that Gillian's voice is really suffering though- she is so hoarse, and I heard many comments on her lack of vocal variety- I kind of agreed, but that wasn't the case when she had full use of her voice- I think she had to speak in that time in order to be heard at all. Still- a stunning performance that I cannot believe she does 8 times a week- AND then comes out smiling and kindly signs autographs!! She was incredibly open and friendly as she signed as well.

I am so happy that so many people got to experience this!!

I got to see A Streetcar named Desire yesterday with my friend.  We both walked out of the theater at the end in near silence.  What do you even say after watching something like that?!  Yeesh, it was so good but I felt so devastated by the end.   Gillian was just so fantastic.    And that's all I've got to say about that b/c I'm still pretty speechless.  lol.

• Love 2

Oh, that's awesome.

I want to, and plan to eventually, but I've gotten so far away from books it feels like I barely know how to read one anymore! Gone Girl has been sitting on my shelf for almost a year with me saying to myself: "I've got plenty of time to read that before the movie comes out." I've read half a page. There's been a lot of audiobooks in between...

I'd love to hear what you people thought about it when/if you read it.

I want to, and plan to eventually, but I've gotten so far away from books it feels like I barely know how to read one anymore! Gone Girl has been sitting on my shelf for almost a year with me saying to myself: "I've got plenty of time to read that before the movie comes out." I've read half a page. There's been a lot of audiobooks in between...

I'm fairly certain the internet has done nothing but make me dumber and/or shorten my attention span to that of a gnat.  I used to be such a reader, like I'd start reading and stay up half the night because I couldn't put the book down.  Now I read little blips on the interwebz and that's about it.  

My friend recently started a little group to reread Jane Austen book, and I think Sense and Sensibility last month is the first full book I've read in oh gosh... a few years? 

I'm fairly certain the internet has done nothing but make me dumber and/or shorten my attention span to that of a gnat. I used to be such a reader, like I'd start reading and stay up half the night because I couldn't put the book down. Now I read little blips on the interwebz and that's about it.

Oh, same. It doesn't help that there's so much quality shows around nowadays for a TV-junkie like myself, including all the great shows from yesteryear I like to rewatch, which also makes it easier for us scatterbrains to simultaineously do/read/play other stuff. I miss books a ton but I can't seem to be able to glue myself from my various screens. Le sigh.

I read non-fiction almost exclusively, and as much as I adore Gillian, her book doesn't sound like anything that would be one of my exceptions. 

A couple of friends - including one who had declined to join us for the original event because she's such a fan of Vivien Leigh's performance in the film - went to one of those second showings of the Streetcar videocast Sunday, and were blown away.  I've yet to hear anyone not be, really.

Edited by Bastet

I read more since I got my Kindle a couple years ago.  Though it's probably as much the Kindle app on my iPod as the actual Kindle that makes the difference since it means that no matter where I am, if I get a few minutes of downtime (like waiting in line at the supermarket) I pull up whatever book I'm reading and read a little.  This helps me to get really into books and keep up my reading momentum, which is important because I'm a slow reader so it can take me a long time to get through a book.

Anyway, I read almost exclusively fiction and this book is something that, while I probably wouldn't have picked it out based on its description, is the sort of thing that I could be into.  

OK, well thanks be to Gillian to save us from the end of our elimination game (taken from tumblr):

tumblr_nd742vLFQ81tyl2edo1_500.png

tumblr_nd74g4i8M61tyl2edo1_r1_500.png

ETA:  Her most memorable moment is making out with her costar for laughs.  Oh, Gillian.  lol.

Edited by queequeg
  • Love 3

OK, well thanks be to Gillian to save us from the end of our elimination game (taken from tumblr):

tumblr_nd742vLFQ81tyl2edo1_500.png

tumblr_nd74g4i8M61tyl2edo1_r1_500.png

ETA:  Her most memorable moment is making out with her costar for laughs.  Oh, Gillian.  lol.

Hell to the yes! :D

[strikethrough]Anyone have a link to the new AMA? Haven't found one yet, other than to the one from last year.[/strikethrough]*

* Just imagine there's a line through that text, since it seems as if the bb code doesn't work :p.

Never mind, just found one.

I can't believe what good sports she and DD have both become about this sort of XF silliness.  I mean, can you imagine someone getting her to do this, let alone cheerfully, in 2002?

• Love 3

I know!  I guess absence really makes the heart grow fonder.  Now they don't have to think about how they're so sick of playing the roles or being defined solely by them or having their lives dictated by the shooting schedule or any of that annoying crap that made them so serious and/or surly about it all back in the day.  Now they can just revel in the fact that people love them for being Mulder and Scully and forget the bad stuff and focus on the good.  

Gillian just seems so happy these days.  Which is awesome.  And like she's become a lot more comfortable/confident with interviews and fan interactions and other press stuff she has to do, which I think pretty obviously used to make her uncomfortable back in the day.

Edited by smrou
  • Love 1

I can't believe what good sports she and DD have both become about this sort of XF silliness.  I mean, can you imagine someone getting her to do this, let alone cheerfully, in 2002?

Nope. Not really. But it's pretty cool that they're ok with it now.

I know!  I guess absence really makes the heart grow fonder.  Now they don't have to think about how they're so sick of playing the roles or being defined solely by them or having their lives dictated by the shooting schedule or any of that annoying crap that made them so serious and/or surly about it all back in the day.  Now they can just revel in the fact that people love them for being Mulder and Scully and forget the bad stuff and focus on the good.  

Gillian just seems so happy these days.  Which is awesome.  And like she's become a lot more comfortable/confident with interviews and fan interactions and other press stuff she has to do, which I think pretty obviously used to make her uncomfortable back in the day.

Most definitely. For both of them. Not to mention they've both grown up enough to not take everything so seriously. Life's too short.

Did you read Gillian's Reddit? She said something like if she died this September whe would have felt she had accomplished something. Having the triumph of Streetcar, The Fall, which she loves and then publishing the book, she said she feels incredibly creative and happy.

It is lovely to see!!

She is so much more comfortable meeting fans as well now- seeming to really enjoy the interaction (when the fans are respectful, nice fans!)

• Love 1