Type keyword(s) to search

Hooten & The Lady - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm about 1/2 way in to the first episode (premiered tonight in the US).  This is one of the worst shows - writing, acting, totally predictable plot lines, the whole shebang - that I've seen in a long time.  For those in the UK who are wondering if there will be  2nd season, does it get any better? 

• Love 2

So....the title was so unusual that I am watching....

Shades of Raiders and African Queen.....good for summer snooze tv tho'.

BUT...I've been on the Amazon (Peru) and the long shots are clearly not the Amazon.  I understand they filmed in S. Africa?

I do like the actors but the writings needs to ramp up, even for summer entertainment.

• Love 1

I thought Hooten looked vaguely like Jimmy Olsen from Lois and Clark.  But he's not a real America just a bad actor trying to pull it off.

Turns out he is Jimmy Olsen from Lois and Clark.  How bad can a show be that an established American actor can't pull off being American?

This thing was dreadful in a bad way.  Now I'm going to go watch Zoo which is dreadful in a good way.

1 minute ago, kaygeeret said:

So....the title was so unusual that I am watching....

Shades of Raiders and African Queen.....good for summer snooze tv tho'.

BUT...I've been on the Amazon (Peru) and the long shots are clearly not the Amazon.  I understand they filmed in S. Africa?

I do like the actors but the writings needs to ramp up, even for summer entertainment.

I thought this episode was a blatant Romancing the Stone ripoff.

• Love 3
(edited)
22 hours ago, chaifan said:

I'm about 1/2 way in to the first episode (premiered tonight in the US).  This is one of the worst shows - writing, acting, totally predictable plot lines, the whole shebang - that I've seen in a long time.  For those in the UK who are wondering if there will be  2nd season, does it get any better? 

The pilot wasn't particularly good. It does get better if you can appreciate the love-letter this show is writing to 80's tv. It's good summer entertainment - never gave me headaches like Zoo (where's my killer zebra???) Better point of reference might be 'Scarecrow and Mrs King'.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 4

I managed to make it to the point where Hooten fights the tribe members and the lady tells him to maybe avoid getting hit, and I was so done at that point.  I was not impressed that the writers thought they were oh-so-clever with throwing in a Fawcett reference since The Lost City of Z has gotten some attention.  Also, that whole bit where a guy fights tribal members and the lady tells him unhelpful things?  So incredibly overused that I just couldn't take anymore.  I only watched around 5 minutes and it was sooo terrible.

• Love 1

I wanted to love it because I'm a fan of Indiana Jones and used to enjoy watching The Relic Hunter back in the day but this was not a great opening episode.  I mean--bisexual tribes?

I did like the look of El Dorado, though.  I'll probably give it another episode because of my love of the genre but yeesh. 

And I also read that TPTB

1. Spoiler

Don't plan on having these two develop a romantic relationship.  I knew that going in and was fine with it since they didn't really seem to have chemistry.  Then they did the fall off the cliff where he lays on her for a second too long and the 'puckering comment' in the water.  Why would they unnecessarily muddle what they intend to be a platonic relationship?

On 7/14/2017 at 4:45 AM, MissLucas said:

The pilot wasn't particularly good. It does get better if you can appreciate the love-letter this show is writing to 80's tv. It's good summer entertainment - never gave me headaches like Zoo (where's my killer zebra???) Better point of reference might be 'Scarecrow and Mrs King'.

Oh boy. I loved it. But I did think how much it reminded me of the 80s type shows. Particularly Scarecrow and Mrs. King. It also was very much like Romancing the Stone. That being said, you can't do a fun romp in the jungle type of show without that comparison. I just thought it was 80s type fun. As for the claim that this might not turn romantic, in line with all the 1980s will they or won't they, of course it won't turn romantic during the main run of the show but that is "the draw" And of course I have always been a fan of the underrated Michael Landes.  If anyone drove me nuts here it was the girl who was way too sure of herself.  I just thought it was a fun throw back to that time that I wish they would do more often.  

• Love 3

Well, I thought there'd be a little bit more discussion...

I've only seen one full episode and bits of a few others, but this seems like fun, summer fluff! Didn't realize this was an imported series.

• Love 1

When Ella is kidnapped in Ethiopia, Lady Alex and Hooten head to Africa where they they must overcome crazed bandits and surly camels in order to save the day.

This was the only episode so far I didn't like. Hooten was way too over the line into harassment. Though I did think it was funny when she started looking in his sunglasses and he was like ok once kiss. Just because anyone would have been like what the heck are you doing?  But the rest of the time including on the Camel probably does show way the 1980s archetype doesn't work too well these days. He gets to make those remarks very sparingly in the episode or he looks like a creep.  If in modern realty I think she would have to pull him aside and tell him to stop. Alexandra was more stupid than usual heading off to Ethiopia alone. And finally I thought Hooten didn't have much to do.  He was there to keep Alex safe and yes, this should have been a job for the authorities. 

I'll cop to the fact that I'm only watching this for Jonathan Bailey (Alex's fiance) and Jessica Hynes (never ever have I wanted to strangle a character so much as her Siobhan in "Twenty Twelve" and "W1A," but she was also hilarious, so kudos to her). The Hooten pilot was pretty dreadful, but it's gotten a bit better as it goes along. But, yeah, summer fluff. Still, anyone know if there'll be a second season? Oh, wait, never mind, a little Internet digging tells me there won't be, here or in the UK.

If you want to see Ophelia (Alex) Lovibond, Bailey and Hynes, they're all in "W1A" (Netflix-streamable), which I believe will have a new season.

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 7:59 PM, Irlandesa said:

And I also read that TPTB

1.   Reveal hidden contents

Don't plan on having these two develop a romantic relationship.  I knew that going in and was fine with it since they didn't really seem to have chemistry.  Then they did the fall off the cliff where he lays on her for a second too long and the 'puckering comment' in the water.  Why would they unnecessarily muddle what they intend to be a platonic relationship?

Spoiler

I'm fine with the two leads not having a romance; actually it's refreshing for a show not to go the predictable route. However, if the show doesn't plan on having Alex & Hooten have a romantic relationship; why like you said do they keep muddling the waters? In every episode I've watched so far there has been some scene that hints that Alex or Hooten have romantic feelings for each other. I find it annoying.

Edited by Fireball
  • Love 3

It's par for the course in this genre to play around with the romantic/platonic angle. I have no idea how many episodes have aired in the US so the rest gets a spoiler tag:

Spoiler

She's engaged right now and as the season proceeds it becomes clear that there are also stumbling blocks for a romantic pairing on his side.

• Love 1

I'm not surprised that the show is hinting at a romantic angle with the leads, but 

Spoiler

if the show has said that they don't plan on having these two develop a romantic relationship then it seems weird to me to keep hinting that the leads have romantic feelings for each other.

Edited by Fireball
  • Love 1

I was a little disappointed in episode 6. Actually it seemed like there were some cuts to the episode. I didn't understand a lot of it. Am I to assume there is some mystery bad guy that killed Hooten's wife and child? And further that Hooten is so scared for Alexandra that he threw the egg into the lake to protect her?  Kind of extreme don't you think?  This episode wasn't fun because Hooten and Alexandra were fighting during most of it and I didn't like to see Alex crying. But boy were they a hot couple in their formal attire. 

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, BooBear said:

And further that Hooten is so scared for Alexandra that he threw the egg into the lake to protect her?  Kind of extreme don't you think?

Well, his friend was killed for it, so, yeah, he didn't want to lose anyone else for a bejeweled egg.

On 17.08.2017 at 5:11 AM, Fireball said:

if the show has said that they don't plan on having these two develop a romantic relationship then it seems weird to me to keep hinting that the leads have romantic feelings for each other.

This show basically created a classic romantic build-up between its leads that is glaringly obvious to everyone but went immediately "NOT IT!" and "Here's Alex's boring love interest you should be invested in for... some reason?".

Spoiler

The ending of that was just insulting for me as a viewer. I'm still mad, a year later.

Edited by CooperTV
On 7/15/2017 at 9:59 PM, Irlandesa said:

Don't plan on having these two develop a romantic relationship.  I knew that going in and was fine with it since they didn't really seem to have chemistry.  Then they did the fall off the cliff where he lays on her for a second too long and the 'puckering comment' in the water

I don't know maybe I am a flirt or just have a mind in the gutter, but I am always saying mildly inappropriate things to my friends of the opposite sex. Even the ones of the same sex. I don't think it has to mean anything other than I have a filthy mind and like to share my thoughts with my friends. I hope they don't get together, I like her fiance.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Arynm said:

I don't know maybe I am a flirt or just have a mind in the gutter, but I am always saying mildly inappropriate things to my friends of the opposite sex. Even the ones of the same sex. I don't think it has to mean anything other than I have a filthy mind and like to share my thoughts with my friends. I hope they don't get together, I like her fiance.

But they weren't friends in the first episode when I posted that comment.  And, like I said, there were "moments" in addition to comments.  I just found it to be a strange angle to take when everything you mention in a 42 minute episode is meant to say something specific about their relationship and who they are.  

On 8/18/2017 at 5:18 AM, CooperTV said:

"Here's Alex's boring love interest you should be invested in for... some reason?".

I do appreciate that her fiance seems to be a decent guy, although we know next to nothing about him so it's hard to really care.  In fact, the only reason I do care is because he's played by Jonathan Bailey who I adored as the woefully confused Sam in Crashing (UK series--not HBO--streaming on Netflix.) But then knowing what the actor can do, how he's used here feels a bit wasteful.

I do think this show has gotten better.  And ironically, now that the show isn't pushing them as a couple, I'm actually feeling their chemistry more.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

But they weren't friends in the first episode when I posted that comment.  And, like I said, there were "moments" in addition to comments.  I just found it to be a strange angle to take when everything you mention in a 42 minute episode is meant to say something specific about their relationship and who they are.  

That is very true. I would LOVE if for just one show they let a woman and a man just be friends. It is possible, and I know that this will probably never see a second season but I can hope. I don't think the season is over yet in the US.

In other news I will be doing a rewatch of Special Unit 2 on youtube which is the show I remember Hooten from and I loved it. It was a silly fun show and deserved more love than it got.

15 minutes ago, Arynm said:

That is very true. I would LOVE if for just one show they let a woman and a man just be friends. It is possible, and I know that this will probably never see a second season but I can hope. I don't think the season is over yet in the US.

I would have been okay with platonic in this show but now I'm starting to think I would have eventually changed my mind if the show continued to develop as seasons wore on.  But I'm a shipper. I have no use for romance in my real life so I'm all over it in my fictional life.

But it won't matter.  There is one more episode left to air in the US in two weeks.  The CW is advertising it as a "summer finale" which is weird considering they've already stated that it's not coming back here or in the UK. 

The day after the Cambodia episode I could barely remember what happened on it. Something about a jewel and a scepter? Oh, and the underdeveloped big, bad villain fell in a snake pit. C'mon, show, I'm only watching you for Jonathan Bailey anyway. (Note to Irlandesa: Bailey's also on W1A, also streaming on Netflix, as is Lady Alex and her female British Museum co-worker whose character's name escapes me right now. Also, I've watched Crashing far too many times.)

Just now, AllAboutMBTV said:

Oh, and the underdeveloped big, bad villain fell in a snake pit. C'mon, show,

I was taken aback at that. Why introduce the "big bad" and then immediately have him killed? Odd. It wasn't really shippy because it is just human kindness to keep someone away from danger.  Perhaps they felt it was making the show too serious.  I actually liked the "short round" kid. 

Yeah, definitely some writing and 'vision' problems with the concept.

But I am enjoying the show and I like the two lead actors.  I have never really understood the comments about "chemistry" between actors.  Doesn't that just mean that they are bad/good actors?  Whatever.

Sad it is only a one season wonder as I am enjoying it.

Good summer fun.

• Love 1
On 8/30/2017 at 2:51 PM, AllAboutMBTV said:

Note to Irlandesa: Bailey's also on W1A, also streaming on Netflix, as is Lady Alex and her female British Museum co-worker whose character's name escapes me right now.

Thanks.  I might check that out. 

On 9/1/2017 at 10:35 PM, kaygeeret said:

But I am enjoying the show and I like the two lead actors.  I have never really understood the comments about "chemistry" between actors.  Doesn't that just mean that they are bad/good actors?

Not really.  I know not everyone sees it or watches for it but when people (or me) refer to it, it's about a certain vibe between the characters that feels romantic...a vibe that would make them kissing pleasing instead of awkward.   It's subjective.  People can disagree on whether or not it's there.  I've seen great actors not have it.  I've seen otherwise weak actors be saved by it. But that's basically what it's referring to.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 2

People tend to be slow to respond.  I'm usually days late. 

I really liked the last episode too and would have loved for this to continue.  That kind of surprises me after the first episode but I did think it got better as it went on and nailed down the light, frothy fun adventure show it wanted to be.  It was low stress viewing.

I kind of wonder what a second season would have looked like.  Would the hubby been along for the ride?  Would they show him aimlessly wandering around, clueless as to where her real whereabouts are in every episode?  Or would he have been back at home like he was in this episode?

Or would they have trashed him and thrown him to bed with his mother-in-law?  I swear there was something there when she adjusted his collar and told him to put his foot down. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 1
On September 11, 2017 at 10:10 PM, kaygeeret said:

am so sorry to see that I am the only person responding to this last episode.

I had to work that night and didn't bother recording it because I assumed I could catch it online somewhere —but maybe not so much.

I did just get to see it. I did enjoy it. Does Michael Landes remind anyone of George Clooney?   I wish the show had continued but I would wonder how long it would continue. I would say about 6 more episodes. I was a little sad that she married the finance. They may be in love and all but he just doesn't fit with her life and realistically that is a recipe for disaster.   I also couldn't see how he could fit into the show going forward without being the bad guy.  She also could not be running around with Hooten if she got pregnant. Absolutely spot on her worries and reasons for not getting married in a very real way it is unfair to him and she isn't ready. 

I could see Hooten encouraging her after he lost his family but probably wasn't the best thing to do. But on the other hand he has been pushing her away for a while now and perhaps he thought this would stick. 

I also wonder why Hooten is still stealing artifacts. Maybe he loves that life but seemed like he was living that life to get away from the big bad / find him for revenge and now it seems odd he isn't willing to explore other lifestyles. 

Why can't good shows find an audience anymore? Blurg. 

• Love 1