Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Merchants of Fear

• Start Topic

21 hours ago, wings707 said:

I don't think they could include the wedding scene for fear of a lawsuit.  That is a very important part of the book.  It is a relatable event and crystal clear example of the lunacy and horror.   

I don't see any reason they couldn't include the wedding scene. I mean, anyone can sue anyone else for anything, but I don't think there would be any merit in any claim they would make.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, MaryMitch said:

I don't see any reason they couldn't include the wedding scene. I mean, anyone can sue anyone else for anything, but I don't think there would be any merit in any claim they would make.

If they had actors playing everyone, shouldn't be a problem.  Might be a copyright issue if they used the actual wedding film.  

On 6/19/2017 at 7:51 AM, AZChristian said:

If they had actors playing everyone, shouldn't be a problem.  Might be a copyright issue if they used the actual wedding film.  

They have to have actors.  They could never mention Tom's name and without that detail the event does not have the powerful punch and horror it should.  

3 hours ago, wings707 said:

They have to have actors.  They could never mention Tom's name and without that detail the event does not have the powerful punch and horror it should.  

Why are you thinking they can't mention Tom's name?  Did Leah sign a NDA as a guest or something?  And in that case wouldn't have been violated eight ways to Sunday by now?

I'm actually wondering at this point if Co$ is really as litigious as they used to be.  I think that they won't touch any lawsuit where Cruise or Miscavige would be forced to testify.

41 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

I'm actually wondering at this point if Co$ is really as litigious as they used to be.  I think that they won't touch any lawsuit where Cruise or Miscavige would be forced to testify.

From what I understand of their tactics, they try to bury someone under paperwork and intimidate them, rather than actually go to trial, where it looks like they could lose, or have anything about the CO$ entered into public record.

57 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

Why are you thinking they can't mention Tom's name?  Did Leah sign a NDA as a guest or something?  And in that case wouldn't have been violated eight ways to Sunday by now?

It is a guess.  I was thinking about the reenactment of the wedding as far as using the real names of the people involved.  Leah is keeping her mission clean and she is operating with integrity.  A Lifetime movie seems messy to me.  She may not have a say.  

On 5/29/2017 at 11:11 PM, lor said:

Scientology  makes members believe the outside world is evil but they are more evil than the outside world.

why cant the FBI do another raid? someone should take down miscavige.

does anyone else think l. ron must have had a mental ilness. he fabricated his whole biography. he took the time to write this crazy garbage.

Personality disorder is more like it.  One of the panel members said he was a malignant narcissist.  The would be my "professional" diagnoses as well.

On 5/31/2017 at 0:56 PM, WInterfalls said:

I am so boring so it would probably be something along the lines of you are terminally single and running out of time to have babies.  You are going to die alone! I already get that at Thanksgiving every year so no big whoop. Otherwise I don't know they can dig through my garbage and see that I was late on my cable bill once or twice.  

Seriously.  "You seem to take an occasional aspirin.  You have headaches. You should kill yourself".

On 5/31/2017 at 10:31 PM, LegalParrot81 said:

I'm rewatching and I'm going to go shallow here, but when did Leah start to mimic Rinder's not quite Australian anymore accent? She is now pronouncing happen as hoppin' ala Rinder.  

She was doing that from the get go.  I thought it was a Brooklyn or NJ thing.  I've heard people from that area say it that way lots of times.

On 5/30/2017 at 0:54 AM, Lord Donia said:

That was awesome! The producers have a real knack for organizing and presenting information clearly and with great emotional impact. The knee high narcissist must be shitting his custom tailored pants. (Although I am sorry for whichever poor Scientology drones will be on the receiving end of Miscavige's wrath, but maybe that will encourage them to leave.)

And Hurricane Leah finds time in season 2 to call out Danny Masterson and his rapey ways!

It's become clear to me through MULTIPLE viewings of this (seriously, I can't look away), that Remini takes what she's doing here very seriously.  She's a woman of action and she DOES want to do things to help people.  How many times have we heard her say that's why she stayed?  She really believed she was helping.  Now she's found a way she can genuinely help.  Her commercial says she was put on this path for a reason.  I don't think she's going to mince words or cut people slack because she realizes at this point her words have to have meaning. They have to be true because she's trying to do something incredibly good for a lot of people.

They aired this episode again yesterday afternoon its still a really good episode. I loved how Leah said she never saw the clip of Sweeney looking crazy going off on Tommy Davis because she wouldn't have thought that was weird.  I forgot about the journalist who had mentioned in his car to his camera crew that it just occurred to him that he hadn't seen an Scientologist in a wheelchair. The next day when he goes to see Tommy Davis again, there's a woman in a wheelchair beside him. 

On 5/31/2017 at 0:49 PM, TheGreenWave said:

Seriously.  These people are not above searching through garbage bins to find something that can be used against a target.  As we've seen before, they seem to have no shame in blatantly having hired PIs follow targets to intimidate them.  Or circulate flyers in targets' neighborhoods.  Or stand outside their homes with signs with false or misleading allegations.  I'd be scared out of my mind if they tried that!!  No wonder people just give up fighting against CO$!  They took a seemingly innocent fact about Seymour (having been an orphan) and used to suggest suicide.  As others have said, I am glad that they are focusing on these LRH policies that require them to do this.

Remember the guy who said they had called people he knew in grade school to ask about him?  They are going to find out about that piece of bubble gun you found on the ground and put in your mouth when you were three.  Wait until it goes through their spin cycle and comes out dirty.

I was just questioning the same thing when one of the guests mentioned the lack of disabled people in scientology. Being involved with disability rights, that's the first thing that comes to me, and not only physical disabilities, but also developmental and intellectual disabilities. It is not possible for, among the "millions" of members in the world, not to have disabled people in the families. So, how are they treated? They like to show themselves as so "intelligent" and employ ableist views on others, so do they segregate the disabled parishioners and institutionalize them in a scientology place? The so-called "intelligence" is subjective, but some people do have disabilities that require extra supports to learn, some will always need a lot of support with just staying alive. But if scientology "cures" everything, what happens to the ones they seem to consider so damaged?