Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Merchants of Fear

• Start Topic

Forgot to mention that I felt really badly for the Australian reporter when he recalled the story in which the CO$ representative whispered in his ear about being an orphan and that he should kill himself.  Even with his years of experience with CO$ and understanding the "policies," he was still really hurt by the statement.  Terrible.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, TheGreenWave said:

Forgot to mention that I felt really badly for the Australian reporter when he recalled the story in which the CO$ representative whispered in his ear about being an orphan and that he should kill himself.  Even with his years of experience with CO$ and understanding the "policies," he was still really hurt by the statement.  Terrible.

Do you all ever wonder what they would come up with to Fair Game you?  I've got a few skeletons in my closet, but I don't know how they'd find them out.

31 minutes ago, Meadow said:

Do you all ever wonder what they would come up with to Fair Game you?  I've got a few skeletons in my closet, but I don't know how they'd find them out.

Seriously.  These people are not above searching through garbage bins to find something that can be used against a target.  As we've seen before, they seem to have no shame in blatantly having hired PIs follow targets to intimidate them.  Or circulate flyers in targets' neighborhoods.  Or stand outside their homes with signs with false or misleading allegations.  I'd be scared out of my mind if they tried that!!  No wonder people just give up fighting against CO$!  They took a seemingly innocent fact about Seymour (having been an orphan) and used to suggest suicide.  As others have said, I am glad that they are focusing on these LRH policies that require them to do this.

40 minutes ago, Meadow said:

I am so boring so it would probably be something along the lines of you are terminally single and running out of time to have babies.  You are going to die alone! I already get that at Thanksgiving every year so no big whoop. Otherwise I don't know they can dig through my garbage and see that I was late on my cable bill once or twice.  

2 hours ago, Meadow said:

Well it seems as though if they can't find anything, they just lie, right? 

2 hours ago, gunderda said:

Well it seems as though if they can't find anything, they just lie, right? 

Yea that seems like the MO. And  even lies hurt when whispered in your ear as a physiological campaign of torture. It would not be a fun thing at all to be in the COS cross hairs

4 hours ago, Meadow said:

I lead a very boring life. So boring in fact that I have nothing better to do with my time so I would "fair game" these idiots right back! With a few Google searches, I'm sure I could find some dirt on them and if not, I would make stuff up. I would bring my lawn chair and little cooler and sit on the sidewalk in front of their house or the "church" filming them and holding up signs that say "Mr. So and So believes in psychiatry and has several prescriptions for antidepressants!" or "Ms. So and So helped kill Shelly Miscavige." or Mr. So and So is getting married and asked Mike Rinder to be his best man!" or "Mrs. So and So has $100,000+ in a hidden account that the Co$ doesn't know about!" I would follow them to work and then wait until their shift is over and follow them back home, around town, wherever. I would create a ludicrous website like the one they did to defame Leah. Mine would include: hating puppies, taking long showers and using all the hot water, not recycling, not flossing, having 12 items in the 10 items or less line, etc.  If anyone wants to join my "fair game" crew, HMU!! 

How crazy/horrifying/hysterical is it that, based on the previews for season 2, Season 1 was actually not getting into the really dirty laundry of Scientology. This cult is so sick, that it looks like the show was actually going easy on them last season! How much more sick shit are we going to find out about them before the government/people have to act. Something has to give, this cult can't continue to act like they have in the past and expect to get away with it, but it seems to me that this is exactly what they are doing. I really hope that I get to see the downfall of the cult of Scientology, one by one if that's the way it has to go.

(edited)

I have wondered what my smear videos would be like -- people who worked for me saying I was mean and gave them unsatisfactory reviews, cable TV customer service reps narcing me out for shouting at them, my ex claiming I withheld sex when I was mad. All true!

Scientology goons have picketed people at their houses and distributed flyers saying they're pedophiles and wife beaters, etc. That can't be fun to have done to you, although it isn't necessarily dangerous on the face of it.

Edited by Lord Donia

The professor is from the university where I work! We're not in the same department but the same faculty. I was surprised to see articles from our local paper. Who knew that just a few buildings away from me there is that huge Scientology collection. Wild!

Glad the show is back! But damn, Leah is getting the Barbara Stanwyck in The Big Valley soft focus camera treatment so hard it's distracting, like she is on a completely different set from everyone else. It's not necessary, girlfriend! You look fine, and this is an important documentary work --you can be vain later! 

Wasn't sure where to put this but new Storage Wars tonight had a guy find a small stash of Scientology crap in the locker. I just figured it was a set up since it could have been A&E knew they would be airing both this episode and the Storage Wars one in the same week. All I kept thinking was he better not try to sell it(said the cans and machine were worth maybe $250 on ebay) because they would hunt him down, wanting to know where he got it. LOL 

I am looking forward to the new season of this show. I hope they are going to go at them hardcore on the abuse covered up. 

(edited)
16 hours ago, juliet73 said:

I lead a very boring life. So boring in fact that I have nothing better to do with my time so I would "fair game" these idiots right back! With a few Google searches, I'm sure I could find some dirt on them and if not, I would make stuff up. I would bring my lawn chair and little cooler and sit on the sidewalk in front of their house or the "church" filming them and holding up signs that say "Mr. So and So believes in psychiatry and has several prescriptions for antidepressants!" or "Ms. So and So helped kill Shelly Miscavige." or Mr. So and So is getting married and asked Mike Rinder to be his best man!" or "Mrs. So and So has $100,000+ in a hidden account that the Co$ doesn't know about!" I would follow them to work and then wait until their shift is over and follow them back home, around town, wherever. I would create a ludicrous website like the one they did to defame Leah. Mine would include: hating puppies, taking long showers and using all the hot water, not recycling, not flossing, having 12 items in the 10 items or less line, etc.  If anyone wants to join my "fair game" crew, HMU!! 

I would  be right beside you.  What a great plan.  Add to the list:  doesn't use turn signals,  doesn't use deodorant, stiffs servers at restruants, parks in handicap spots with no sticker and eats smelly food on planes.

Edited by toodles

Am I the only one who thought Janet Reitman(sp?) was a bit ditsy?  I mean, she writes this hard hitting expose, but she seemed continually surprised at how bad Scientology is.  Everyone else was fascinating to hear but she was so distracting, she nearly ruined the show for me. 

17 minutes ago, caci said:

Am I the only one who thought Janet Reitman(sp?) was a bit ditsy?  I mean, she writes this hard hitting expose, but she seemed continually surprised at how bad Scientology is.  Everyone else was fascinating to hear but she was so distracting, she nearly ruined the show for me. 

Nope, I'm with you.  I hope her naturally wide eyes were just making her seem more surprised than she actually was.

Glad to hear it wasn't just me.  Like the people or not, I have always felt that each person interviewed in this series had genuine experiences and feelings.  It is one of the reasons why the show is so fascinating to me.  She was the first person who felt "off".

they're advertising tom cruises new movie the mummy on tv .it got me wondering if somehow scientology is responsible for tom cruises never aging face. maybe they got some potion for him or pay for plastic surgery.

1 hour ago, caci said:

You aren't alone. She was very distracting. 

2 hours ago, caci said:

I never got the impression she was surprised at how bad Scientology is. 

I think perhaps they didn't fair game her as hard as the other journalists and she doesn't have as many stories to tell.  Ebner and Seymour seemed to have taken it on as more of a crusade and dig at them at every opportunity that presents itself. 

I think Reitman was more interested in what she didn't really know which is why Scientology thinks their tactics would work against journalists.  It was the sort of bafflement of someone with the personality not to back down to intimidation not understanding why the bully isn't changing tactics and getting sneakier to avoid them going nuclear on them in response.  As a result her demeanor is a sort of humorous bafflement in learning that the Scientologist bullies are idiots that follow policies and can't adapt to be a more adept manipulator.s

Paradox, you are probably right. I mean, she must be a smart, driven journalist to get to where she is.  However, her whole demeanor was just weird and distracting and I just had trouble getting past it.  Still, I loved the others and am looking forward to next season.

(edited)

I agree about Reitman's expressions. After the show, she apparently tweeted a few questions about whether or not fair game still exists or if the practice was being exaggerated She later deleted them, I assume after getting a lot of blow back.

I can kind of understand her point (if that's what she even meant) because these days Scientology just can't act against the thousands of critical articles and people and Internet attacks the way they used to. DM hasn't abandoned the practice, but he's fighting the rising tide with a teaspoon.

Edited by Lord Donia
(edited)
10 hours ago, caci said:

She had such a weird affect; like Shelly Duvall in "The Shining" early on, all wide eyed wonderment at the pantry supplies in the Overlook Hotel  ("Look at those cans of corn, Danny!")  which, why?  I've never done a hard hitting piece for Rolling Stone about $cientology, but I know enough to never be surprised by any bizarre, vicious, demented thing they do. If you told me they preserved Hubbard's body, Evita-like, stored it in a glass coffin and once a year Miscavige mounted the coffin while Anne Archer recited dialogue from "Fatal Attraction" ("I won't be ignored, Dan! SCREW YOU GLENNIE!") as Miscavige enthusiastically dry humped Hubbard  -- with hundreds of Scientologists standing in a circle doing The Wave --  my only question would be "Was Tom Cruise there?" 

So, you know, get it together,  Reitman,  with the deleted tweets and bafflement; the horrors of what the church does to apostates has been on the net since the nineties, on websites and blogs and in Deja newsgroups (the last delivered online by a cart and horse,  accompanied by a barbershop quartet from Willoughby).

Edited by film noire
(edited)
On 5/30/2017 at 10:16 AM, 3girlsforus said:
On 5/30/2017 at 9:40 AM, TaraS1 said:

And judging by Mike's facial expressions and reactions to some of her comments, it seemed like he was a little surprised that she was was sort of "going in" on him (in her own Leah way) a few times.  But I wondered the same thing re: whether or not viewer comments/response brought all that about.

Actually that kind of bugged me. We know Mike did bad things. He hasn't denied that. He also can't change it. When he talks to people that he personally was active against most of the time he says 'I' and when he doesn't it's just the way the conversation is going - i.e. It's focused on the policies rather than who did what - rather than an attempt to deny or hide that he did these things. This show is how he's trying to make amends. So I don't think it's helpful or necessary for Leah to keep saying 'You... it was you who did stuff like that' over and over. She can ask if he had first hand knowledge of the actions against a particular guest but the snappy part was over the top to me.

THIS!  I kept screaming 'LET THE MAN FUCKING FINISH HIS SENTENCE!' at the telly, she was so annoying.  I remember interviews where she was so rabid about the cult and how anyone that didn't agree with Scientology were idiots....my question to her is, since leaving the cult has she attempted to reach out to people she had to cut out of her life for being Suppressive?

Edited by Vixenstud
38 minutes ago, Vixenstud said:

THIS!  I kept screaming 'LET THE MAN FUCKING FINISH HIS SENTENCE!' at the telly, she was so annoying.  I remember interviews where she was so rabid about the cult and how anyone that didn't agree with Scientology were idiots....my question to her is, since leaving the cult has she attempted to reach out to people she had to cut out of her life for being Suppressive?

My iPad isn't letting me bold your first sentence, but I kept yelling the same thing every time Leah interrupted Rinder.

19 hours ago, caci said:

If I had to guess, I'd say that Janet Reitman has some sort of thyroid condition because those big, bulging eyes are usually a sign of that sort of problem. Thus her reactions looked weird and exaggerated, due to her wide eyed expressions. That being said, at other times she was very distracting, especially when she was seated in the back row. 

The CO$ fascinates me. The premise that it is based on is so crazy and so dangerous. Cults prey upon people who are wounded and searching for meaning in life. Scary.

On 5/30/2017 at 0:08 AM, Sup wit dat said:

What a "coincidence" that golden boy Tom Cruise announced just this week that a new Top Gun movie will be made.  Hmmmm...maybe it's the only damage control card they have to play these days.  

I'm so sickened by Tom Cruise I won't go see the movie.  If reviews are good I might watch it on HBO or something, but now that I know about the sick cult he supports I just can't see him in the same light I did in the first Top Gun movie.  All I see is his cult abusing people who were genuinely seeking help.

THIS! I saw a picture this week of Tom and Zac Efron (I think they were both appearing on Graham Norton) and I screamed at Zac to get away from him!

I have to say I found all the information shared by the guests/panel fascinating.   

Reitman's reaction when she found out that she was being "spied" on was kind of funny to me.  But what made me laugh was when she admitted that she wrote her book because of the tour of gold base and their deliberate actions to divert questions and answers.  

The gentleman who was in the Guardians was so truly repentant for his action regarding "Miss Lovely".  It truly broke him when he finally woke up and realized what the consequences of his actions did to an innocent person.  Then when he revealed that he had contacted her to give his apologies.  The wonderful thing was that she forgave him and wanted him to forgive himself.  What an amazing person she is!

I found the professor who collected CO$ information interesting.  He shared what he has learned and explained some of the policies in a clear way.  I think it helped when in between the actual policy was shown and sections highlighted for us, the viewers, to read.  

The Australian journalist was so brave!  His strength in controlling himself and responding to harassment with  intelligence and calmness was admirable.  Even when they whispered about his background, he held his ground.  His sheer doggedness in pursuing the stories and bringing them to the attention of the public and to the politicians of his country was interesting as well. 

I still cannot fathom why people don't question their own behavior as a member of this cult.  Do they not see their actions as hurtful?   Do they not see how they behave affects friends/family/others?  Don't they question what they are told? Aren't they curious about what is outside their cult/beliefs?

I guess I look at it through my own lens.  At the end of a day (sometimes every other day) I look at my actions and how I behaved in the course of my daily life.  I think about what I have said and done, how did it affect others? How did it affect how I view myself? Could I have done better?  How can I be better tomorrow?

22 hours ago, film noire said:

If you told me they preserved Hubbard's body, Evita-like, stored it in a glass coffin and once a year Miscavige mounted the coffin while Anne Archer recited dialogue from "Fatal Attraction" ("I won't be ignored, Dan! SCREW YOU GLENNIE!") as Miscavige enthusiastically dry humped Hubbard  -- with hundreds of Scientologists standing in a circle doing The Wave --  my only question would be "Was Tom Cruise there?" 

OF COURSE HE WAS!! Tom was proudly wearing his medal of honor over his black turtleneck while saluting to Xenu. 

(edited)

Leah mentioned that in therapy Rinder was encouraged to use the word "they" for healing purposes.  However it is important, for this series, that he use the first person pronoun.  He was there, he did these things because it was the proceedure he was brainwashed to believe. That is important for all to fully grasp the horror.  It eliminates anyone questioning if "they" really did all these horrible things.  This is fact, not hearsay.  

Her reminder to use "I" was given with love, they had clearly talked about it. 

Edited by wings707
6 minutes ago, luvmylabs said:

Apparently Leah is going to be a permanent member of the cast of Kevin Can Wait.  I hope this does not cause her to slow down her crusade against the bad practices of The CO$!

I don't think it will.  She is dedicated to exposing them and there is a long hiatus for TV series.  

If Leah were to devote more time to her acting career, I'd die for another season of her reality show!! Can you imagine cameras following her around now?

For those who didn't watch, it featured "talking to the audience/Modern Family" type couch interviews wherein Leah and her family members would make sarcastic and mocking comments about the show, their lives, and each other. Leah was always styled and made up to the max, which she joked about but still did.

I sat on my sofa and cried with the man who was with the Guardians as he told his story.  That poor man might have been shown forgiveness from the woman he went after but I don't think he will ever forgive himself.  He is the type of person the Tom Cruises and Kirstie Alleys should be listening to because every word he spoke was so obviously sincere and heartfelt.  His actions have really taken a toll on him.

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 1:50 PM, Lord Donia said:

If Leah were to devote more time to her acting career, I'd die for another season of her reality show!! Can you imagine cameras following her around now?

For those who didn't watch, it featured "talking to the audience/Modern Family" type couch interviews wherein Leah and her family members would make sarcastic and mocking comments about the show, their lives, and each other. Leah was always styled and made up to the max, which she joked about but still did.

I so hope her reality show will come back!  It was so much fun to watch.

On 6/1/2017 at 4:51 PM, lor said:

they're advertising tom cruises new movie the mummy on tv .it got me wondering if somehow scientology is responsible for tom cruises never aging face. maybe they got some potion for him or pay for plastic surgery.

We've never seen LHRs body.  I'd guess Tom and Davy are slowly injesting LHR tiny freeze dried piece by freeze dried piece. That's the secret to their never aging visages.

On 6/2/2017 at 0:16 AM, film noire said:

She had such a weird affect; like Shelly Duvall in "The Shining" early on, all wide eyed wonderment at the pantry supplies in the Overlook Hotel  ("Look at those cans of corn, Danny!")  which, why?  I've never done a hard hitting piece for Rolling Stone about $cientology, but I know enough to never be surprised by any bizarre, vicious, demented thing they do. If you told me they preserved Hubbard's body, Evita-like, stored it in a glass coffin and once a year Miscavige mounted the coffin while Anne Archer recited dialogue from "Fatal Attraction" ("I won't be ignored, Dan! SCREW YOU GLENNIE!") as Miscavige enthusiastically dry humped Hubbard  -- with hundreds of Scientologists standing in a circle doing The Wave --  my only question would be "Was Tom Cruise there?" 

So, you know, get it together,  Reitman,  with the deleted tweets and bafflement; the horrors of what the church does to apostates has been on the net since the nineties, on websites and blogs and in Deja newsgroups (the last delivered online by a cart and horse,  accompanied by a barbershop quartet from Willoughby).

Was he there!?!

It was Little Tommy that came up with the idea of a necrophiliac threesomes  with LRH, DM and himself.

3 minutes ago, Giselle said:

It was Little Tommy that came up with the idea of a necrophiliac threesomes  with LRH, DM and himself.

Wait!  Is this the plot of the new movie entitled,

Tom Cruise
The Mummy

Is there an "and" missing between the first two words and the last two words?  Did I miss something?  ;-)

Just now, AZChristian said:

Wait!  Is this the plot of the new movie entitled,

Tom Cruise
The Mummy

Is there an "and" missing between the first two words and the last two words?  Did I miss something?  ;-)

Yup it's DM in drag.

No, remember DM has a big old file on Tommy. The word "and" might be seen as DM being inferior.

I enjoyed seeing how the reporter from Australia and the guy in Parliament  worked together to expose them for what they are and laws were made to make CoS' shady dealings and legitimate non profits  more transparent. 

Loved hearing that  CoS earnings went from 30 million down to 10 in Australia.

i just read online leah's book will become a lifetime movie. i hope its better than the full house and saved by the bell movies. Some of the things in those movies never happened in real life.

i wonder who they wil cast as t cruise and miscaviage.

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:47 AM, lor said:

i just read online leah's book will become a lifetime movie. i hope its better than the full house and saved by the bell movies. Some of the things in those movies never happened in real life.

Oh, no!  That'll just make a mockery of everything she's done.  That's not the best idea.... 

On 6/10/2017 at 6:47 AM, lor said:

On 6/12/2017 at 0:47 PM, GenL said:

Oh, no!  That'll just make a mockery of everything she's done.  That's not the best idea.... 

Lifetime is own by the same companies (Hearst Corp and Disney) that own A&E so I don't think they would do that to her. 

11 hours ago, Evil Queen said:

Lifetime is own by the same companies (Hearst Corp and Disney) that own A&E so I don't think they would do that to her. 

They may not intend to hurt Leah or her mission but Lifetime movies are terrible!!!!  

5 hours ago, wings707 said:

They may not intend to hurt Leah or her mission but Lifetime movies are terrible!!!!  

I have never watched one but just seeing the ads for them I could tell they didn't seem very good. Yet if she has a hand in it who knows. I just don't think they would screw her over on the movie. Such as I don't think it would be a Saved By the Bell or Full House type trash, kwim? Those were the way they were because of who was behind them....which I didn't watch but had seen enough about them to know it was horrible and crappy. Now I am wondering how much of her story they could even tell in the movie and how much of an attack they would have coming at them from the freaks of Co$.

(edited)
2 hours ago, Evil Queen said:

I have never watched one but just seeing the ads for them I could tell they didn't seem very good. Yet if she has a hand in it who knows. I just don't think they would screw her over on the movie. Such as I don't think it would be a Saved By the Bell or Full House type trash, kwim? Those were the way they were because of who was behind them....which I didn't watch but had seen enough about them to know it was horrible and crappy. Now I am wondering how much of her story they could even tell in the movie and how much of an attack they would have coming at them from the freaks of Co$.

I don't think they could include the wedding scene for fear of a lawsuit.  That is a very important part of the book.  It is a relatable event and crystal clear example of the lunacy and horror.   

Edited by wings707