Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: The Return: Parts 3 and 4

Plus "Rancho Rosa" = "Red Room." Clearly I am an idiot to have not spotted that.

Oy vey, the shovel scene. It is really hard to see why that scene had to be as long as it was. I hope Tamblyn gets more actual lines eventually - he was a favorite of mine long before Twin Peaks, and I'm so happy he's still onscreen.

• Love 1

I loved that shovel scene. So strange and slow. Literally watching paint dry.

But I think gold is very important to this season and story in some way. No clue how.

• Love 1

I enjoyed the scene with Bobby seeing Laura's photo and crying.

They did not have the most healthy relationship and she did have a hold on him. He sold drugs for her, cried the first time they made love and she then laughed at him.

He was right at her funeral she would have laughed. 

In the movie and her diary we learn and see more of their relationship. If you only ever saw the movie you would never think Bobby even liked Shelly. He kissed the glass that Laura's photo is behind.  In the woods before they kill the guy he even asks her "Do you love me Laura"

• Love 1
On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 10:32 PM, Moxie Cat said:

Plus "Rancho Rosa" = "Red Room." Clearly I am an idiot to have not spotted that.

Yeah, me too. I guess Las Vegas isn't just a passing fancy.

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 8:10 AM, paigow said:

The Black Lodge seems to be incompetent / negligent if DoppleCooper beat the recall process so easily...Why is it unable to locate DoppleCooper and send some other killer to balance the universe?

I'd guess the desire to consume pain and suffering is an addiction that, like many, makes you act stupid. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/30/2017 at 1:03 AM, Nashville said:

Does it strike anybody else, though, that this new season so far seems intent on writing Andy and Lucy as imbecilic caricatures of their original incarnations?  I mean - the original Andy and Lucy were both pretty simple folk, but they weren't the raging morons their version 2.0s seem to be.  The bit with Lucy's apparent incomprehension regarding cell phones?  Stupid.  Hell, police cars had radios in the 90s; it's not like mobile communication would be such a freakin' mindblaster.  Disappointing.

Yes. Sad to say, but with their quirkiness dialed up even more than it was in Season 2, and their advanced age, the characters come across more as senile than as funny. 

The same goes for all of these long, drawn out sequences. I can't help but wonder if one of the reasons they seem far longer here than they did on the original series is due to the lack of background music in so very many scenes. Whereas on the original show, most scenes had Badalamenti's familiar theme music playing as counterpoint to the characters onstage (sometimes even directly for those characters, eg, Audrey's Dance, Laura's Theme, etc.) and so some of those long sequences came across as almost a ballet, poetry in motion, in this season, it is just endless silence, or slapsticky gags and stilted dialogue absent a comedic melody underpinning the humor.

I have found a lot to enjoy this season so far, and definitely don't find it incoherent, but there is a lot I dislike, as well. It has by and large lacked the familiar quirky characters that the original show had, and some of the dialogue is so hokey and the performances by all the newcomers especially (as well as some of the regulars) are just so flat and almost parodies in how B-Movieish they come across. 

That Michael Cera sequence was painful to watch. I can't stand that guy anyway, and have always felt that his "performances" are pretty horrible*, but watching him with that scene's dialogue, and failing to even be able to act like someone who can't act... it took all my willpower not to just fast forward that scene in case I might have missed something. He made Heather Graham's acting in season 2 look like Shakespeare.**

* Note 1: I actually enjoyed Scott Pilgrim; in spite of my Cera dislike, that movie was clever and beautifully creative enough that he didn't bring it down.

** Note 2: I think Heather Graham grew into a fine and talented performer, but at that point in her career she just was not up to the challenge of performing a Lynchian character, and it showed.

On 6/1/2017 at 5:57 PM, Pete Martell said:

Speaking about Andy and Lucy (again...), I finally realized what did feel a bit off for me with the "bunny" scene. I've heard people say how much they miss the old show's score, but I didn't feel that way (mostly because it didn't suit most of the scenes in the first 2 episodes) until the "bunny" bit. I think I'd forgotten just how much that wacky jazz music acted as a heartbeat for the characters in the town and at the sheriff's office. It's sort of like sitcoms that have the laugh tracks removed. 

Yes. Most ALL of their scenes so far this season need some rendition of "Freshly Squeezed" or "Dance of the Dream Man" playing in the background.

Edited by Cthulhudrew
  • Love 1
On 5/22/2017 at 2:46 PM, Penman61 said:

And I'm not even mentioning* Duchovny's turn as a transgender woman ("Mah hormones! Heavens!" He literally fanned himself after Cole left the room).  I can't believe no one on set or in the script room said anything about the damaging and retrograde stereotyping.

Duchovny was on nobody's radar until his role on Twin Peaks..  Casting a transgender actor in that role now would be the PC thing to do but DD is reprising his role from 25 years ago.  I have no problem with that.  Plus, he's aged like fine wine and looks hot in drag.  

• Love 5
On 5/23/2017 at 2:29 AM, Happy Harpy said:

My other major problem, I need Dale Cooper. The real Dale Cooper. 25 years in the Black Lodge would have affected him, traumatized him, OK, makes sense for once. But I don't care about Dougie or doppelganger and less about Lost in Suburbia. Get his butt back to Twin Peaks.

This. This forum has at least helped me make sense of the story (the main one, anyway. There's still lots of peripheral weirdness that I do not understand), but I've yet to find it as endearing as the original was, despite its extreme weirdness. Cooper being Cooper in Twin Peaks is what this show needs, so I am anxiously awaiting the moment when that occurs.