Type keyword(s) to search

Idol Revival: Anticipation, Speculation and Wishlists

• Start Topic

8 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I actually thought of "You've Got a Friend in Me" for Caleb, too. "Once Upon a Dream" and "Remember Me" are really good choices for Maddie and Michelle. I'd rather Cade re-work a villain song, but I'm guessing he'll go the safe route and cover Fall Out Boy's "Immortals" from Big Hero 6.

I forgot that Immortals counted as a Disney song. Great pick!

I absolutely adore the idea of "Baby Mine" for Maddie ... I used to sing that (the Bonnie Raitt version which apparently isn't on YouTube, from a collection of redone Disney songs released late 80s I think) to little Snappy every night when I was rocking her to sleep ... plus it harkens back to an early Disney era that a lot of people (younger people who wouldn't know about it) are ignoring ... I suspect we'll be stuck with lots of big songs from the Jasmine/Ariel/Disney Princess era but it would be sort of awesome if someone picked something from, say, "Mary Poppins" ("Stay Awake" is quite beautiful) 

• Love 1
On 4/24/2018 at 1:54 PM, TheGreenKnight said:

I'm not sure what Maddie should sing, but what came to mind was "Baby Mine." I could see her performing that considering her general vibe.

I love that song. I’m familiar with the Alison Kraus version. Such a beautiful song. 

I want Cade to do either Let’s Go Fly a Kite from Mary Poppins or Bare Neccesities. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, librarianbeck said:

Sorry! I should've checked there first. 

No!  I didn’t know where to post it, with the ep thread locked.  

It’s an interesting list.   I didn’t know they’d stick to the classics so much, for the most part.  

My main concern about the Prince theme night is: WHO will get to sing 'Nothing Compares 2 U'? I favor either Michael or Catie.

I can see a number of possible/good choices for 4 of them, but what will Caleb find to sing? 'Little Red Corvette' could actually be reimagined as a vaguely country-style number, but I guess he'd have to change it to 'Little Red Pick Up', which doesn't scan very well! (Might not fit his squeaky clean image, either)

I thought of Little Red Corvette for Caleb too, purely because country songs so often discuss their trucks. The Tom Jones version of Kiss wouldn't be terribly difficult to countrify either.

To be honest, I kinda wish Prince week had been top 10 and then Disney for top 7, because I think the three who got cut are better suited to his material than most of the people who went through. They still would have been cut, but it would've made for a better night.

11 hours ago, incandescent said:

The Tom Jones version of Kiss wouldn't be terribly difficult to countrify either.

To be honest, I kinda wish Prince week had been top 10 and then Disney for top 7, because I think the three who got cut are better suited to his material than most of the people who went through. They still would have been cut, but it would've made for a better night.

Re Kiss:  but Caleb doesn't really have a falsetto, does he? That's kind of essential for that song. Michael could do it, though. Actually I wouldn't mind Catie trying it, hmm.

I would rather have switched theme nights simply because there is much richer material to choose from the Prince catalog; Disney was pretty weak tea (although they did pretty well overall with it).

I don't love Prince's music so I'm fine with less.  If they wanted a tribute night I would've preferred Tom Petty, Chris Cornell or Chester Bennington but they really don't skew that 'rock' here.  So Prince is fine.  I suppose he beats Al Jarreau or Chuck Barry.  

Actually a night with the contestant's pick from any of those might've been nice.  With a little PSA about drug addiction thrown in.  Not all the above were victims of that.  

2 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Re Kiss:  but Caleb doesn't really have a falsetto, does he? That's kind of essential for that song. Michael could do it, though. Actually I wouldn't mind Catie trying it, hmm.

The Tom Jones version doesn't use falsetto. I think Michael favours songs with more of a build-up so he can have a triumphant chorus, but Catie might go for it.

I bet a lot of contestants fought to get dibs on Nothing Compares 2 U.

Anyone else think Gabby might end up shooting herself in the foot because Carrie Underwood night is too much of a slam dunk for her?

I hope "Blown Away" and "Cowboy Casanova" are performed. And 4/5 of the remaining contestants are vocal Christians so I'll be shocked if nobody sings "Jesus Take the Wheel."

• Love 1
3 hours ago, TeeMo said:

Not sure where to put this but Gabby has been interacting with fans on YouTube  and FB  saying that Idol autotuned her performances and made them sound worse and claims that the producers can "overrule" the votes and Disney "picked the right person." Nothing says "gracious in defeat" like a 3rd place finisher pushing a  conspiracy theory.

https://www.mjsbigblog.com/gabby-barrett-american-idol-execs-can-overrule-the-votes.htm

Yeesh. That's real rich coming from the girl who was Disney's pick. Voters didn't pick her. There's a difference.

On 6/9/2018 at 12:52 PM, incandescent said:

Yeesh. That's real rich coming from the girl who was Disney's pick. Voters didn't pick her. There's a difference.

What a self-serving bitter sore loser.  I guess being her daddy's special snowflake didn't include learning how to lose gracefully.