Type keyword(s) to search

Idol Revival: Anticipation, Speculation and Wishlists

• Start Topic

(edited)

I am really, really happy to have this show back but I hope they don't air it until January or so.  It's my "it's cold out; I'll watch anything" favorite.

Edited by Qoass
  • Love 4

From the AI in the Media thread:

The obvious choice, to me, is Mindy Doo (Melinda Doolittle).  She knows music.  Knows.  She also has a great sense of compassion for struggling artists, having once been one.  She also loves to laugh...at herself.  

I absolutely adore Melinda Doolittle and really hope TVLine revives their weekly show with her comments.  That said, the cynical part of my brain would always say, "If you know so much, how come you aren't a star?"  I know; I'm awful.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Qoass said:

That said, the cynical part of my brain would always say, "If you know so much, how come you aren't a star?"  I know; I'm awful.

Then I'm awful, too.   Even though she might "know" music, I do believe that a judge should be someone that most people have seen or heard from in recent years.  I know she's done some stuff since she was on AI but I don't think anything she's done has gotten much buzz.   

8 hours ago, Qoass said:

From the AI in the Media thread:

I absolutely adore Melinda Doolittle and really hope TVLine revives their weekly show with her comments.  That said, the cynical part of my brain would always say, "If you know so much, how come you aren't a star?"  I know; I'm awful.

No.  TPTB would never consider her - she's not high profile enough.

Also, the critiques she does with Slezak are scripted.   She's rehearsed what she is going to say - before they film the segments.  She's not making live decisions - like a judge would have too.

don't you remember that Paula lost her place in her script when talking to the guy with dreads?  She critiqued him on his second song, but he only sang one.  they write the script after rehearsal that is why some of the critiques don't match up what you see on TV 

That's part of why Simon worked, because he didn't attend rehearsals and only saw what happened live on camera like the viewers. Don't get me wrong, I think it's nice that the judges show some dedication and come for the rehearsals, but they need to be able to respond to what's actually happening live.

I've never seen Melinda's show/critiques and I wasn't really a fan when she was on the show, but I know she's popular. I wouldn't say no myself, I just don't think the show would consider her for judge. Maybe they could get her to help with contestants behind-the-scenes or something.

The nice thing about them bringing this show back is that's an hour on each of two nights in the week that I won't have to worry about ABC/FOX/wherever scheduling things that conflict with other things I'm watching on other networks. I certainly won't be checking this "reboot" out. What fool actually thinks this needs to be rebooted?

I wouldn't have so much of a problem with a reboot if they kept the salary to a reasonable amount and didn't feel they had to make this the Katy Perry show. I have no idea how they will do a live show with her, if the rumors are true, . I like the live show and with the same singers/contestants each week. I don't need to see a self indulgent person on my screen. not a katy Perry fan.  I will be shocked if they get through an entire season with her. 

it has to be better than the reboot of the gong show.  which will be on in a few weeks. 

• Love 1

That's exactly why it needs a reboot:  I want them to get back to a show that makes a star out of a nobody, not a show that's all about the judges (cough, The Voice, cough).

• Love 2
(edited)
14 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Somehow I doubt Katy will stipulate the camera be on her face 90% of the show like JLO probably did in her contract.

I think production decided to make it all about the star judges, not the individuals.  They took a page from the Voice on that.   Idol worked with Simon, Paula and Randy and this was one of the reasons, none were stars.  It was also new and fresh, clearly.  

They had to make this reboot different in some way but they are not doing that.  Katy Perry, no.  Less known people from the music industry, not necessarily performers themselves was the way to go.  

Edited by wings707
6 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Somehow I doubt Katy will stipulate the camera be on her face 90% of the show like JLO probably did in her contract.

Please forward a copy of her contract where it stipulates your claim.

6 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

They didn't do that with Keith or HCJ... Just JLO. And I don't see Katy Perry as being as egocentric as JLO.

Katy Perry's been bragging that she gets paid more than any guy who have been on the show.

both Keith and Harry had their star turns on the show, I remember when while critiquing someone after they performed near the end of the show, harry stepped on the stage to show them how it should have been done, basically erasing the contestant and making it all about him.

no.  I am willing to bet that the concept of a live show does not work well with Katy. she appeared on the show almost 10 years ago. She has been a star longer now, and is more used to having people cater to her.  Live shows don't work well like that.  My one pro J-lo remark is that she was never late and always sober. 

• Love 1

I don't care who the judges are. Only care if they make meaningful comments, know their stuff, won't tell the contestant what the contestant was thinking/feeling while singing, and keeps the focus on the contestants. Goes for the host, too... plus, a nice speaking voice. Otherwise, not watching.

The show spending outrageous $ for "name" judges doesn't bode well for my wishes. We shall see.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

lol *shrug* I see it more as laughing at her own luck that she’s making more than Mariah, JLO, Nicki Minaj, Alicia Keys, Christina Aguilera, Usher, Britney Spears, Shakira, etc. etc. on any of these shows.

Nope.  She threw people under the bus.  That is not laughing at herself.

(edited)
On 6/1/2017 at 11:34 AM, TheGreenKnight said:

They didn't do that with Keith or HCJ... Just JLO. And I don't see Katy Perry as being as egocentric as JLO.

Funny.  I didn't and don't see JLo this way either.  Mariah and Nicki M were, big time!   I am not sure Katy will not be egocentric, it could happen.  We have yet to see her in this position.  She appeared to be very full of herself on Ellen recently.  

Edited by wings707

I hate to do this to you, I don't even know if this is media or just garbage I apologize in advance for bringing this

remove it if you don't want gossip.

http://crazydaysandnights.net/2017/06/blind-item-3-1580.html

The producers of this A list reboot are having some serious second thoughts about the money they paid this A list singer. It has got to the point where they are looking for a way out of the contract because they are worried she is going to crash and burn in a very public way.

She has been acting even more weird since she signed that contract. 

(edited)
2 hours ago, holly4755 said:

I hate to do this to you, I don't even know if this is media or just garbage I apologize in advance for bringing this

remove it if you don't want gossip.

http://crazydaysandnights.net/2017/06/blind-item-3-1580.html

The producers of this A list reboot are having some serious second thoughts about the money they paid this A list singer. It has got to the point where they are looking for a way out of the contract because they are worried she is going to crash and burn in a very public way.

She has been acting even more weird since she signed that contract. 

I caught Perry on ET or one of those evening shows last week. 

They showed a clip of her in a therapy session on a set.  I missed why she is doing that.  She claimed she cut her hair because she doesn't want to be the Katie Perry we have known anymore.  Identity crisis or PR, hard to know?    Apparently her last album did not do well.    

Her given name is Katheryn Elizabeth Hudson and I would not be surprised if she changed it back since she mentioned this. Something is up with her.  

Edited by wings707

Katy Perry's real name is Kate Hudson?  Why do I have horrible vibes from this?

It's probably worth pointing out that CDAN has a disclaimer that effectively says, "this is all bullshit."  Not that it actually all is, of course :)

13 hours ago, wings707 said:

Apparently her last album did not do well.    

? A quick glance at Wikipedia says her last album sold 1.7 million in the U.S. and it had 2 hit singles that sold 6 million each (the other 3 having sold a million each, I assume, since they're certified Platinum). Her newest album is projected to sell around 200,000 in its opening week.

I can believe they regret paying her the 25 million though. Whoever made the offer had to have been drunk at the time. It still kills me that they supposedly didn't want to pay Kelly anything over the 10 million mark to save costs (which is why she signed with The Voice instead), but then they turn around and throw more money than they've ever paid one judge at Katy Perry?

• Love 2

An album selling well is relative to how much marketing is done. This time she did about a month of interviews, I have no idea how many videos (they can be a couple of million off the artists money)  or how much they paid the guests are her week long live stream. And who knows the rate for payola now. 

I don't pretend to know these answers, jsut that it is very hard to make money from music sales. It is even getting hard to make money touring, The business is evolving and a weekly TV show would help a lot. 

Tentative audition schedule has been posted.  It looks like 2 touring buses covering the country from mid-August to mid-September, and my interpretation (since they're the only ones with address info currently) is that August 25 in Charleston SC, August 29 in Omaha, and September 7 in Alabama will be the "big ones" that the audition episodes focus on / eventually have the judges at.

The page also links to instructions for uploading an audition video as well.

• Love 1

Now that Luke Bryan is confirmed as the second judge with Katy Perry, I'm thinking that they will want to pick a third judge who can bring in ratings. They should go for someone who is popular, who represents another form of music, and if they are smart will have a huge social media presence. If they are wanting the audience to skew younger they won't pick an older favorite like Lionel Richie. My speculation would be someone like DJ Khaled. 

they will want to pick a third judge who can bring in ratings. They should go for someone who is popular, who represents another form of music, and if they are smart will have a huge social media presence. 

You're probably right but I would prefer someone who is successful, articulate and puts the best interests of the contestants first.

• Love 1
On 6/29/2017 at 1:30 AM, eyelash said:

I'm sure this really dates me, but I'd love to see Donny Osmond as a judge on the reboot.  He's managed to keep a music and showbiz career going for a good long while.

Ooooo, me too!  He's music-smart, funny, personable ... good answer! good answer!

you have to understand , it is not about the contestants anymore, it is about the ......... stars!!!!! They never understood the appeal of the show and each and every step is further away from what drew people to it, the torture scene of perform or not perform of last year was pretty horrendous. 

• Love 3

I think this would be the appropriate thread. Just wanted to say I've liked the two theme weeks they've announced so far (Disney, Prince), and I'm actually happy about the 5-way finale. Maybe the split between 5 people might actually allow a woman to win again.

I'm not sure what Maddie should sing, but what came to mind was "Baby Mine." I could see her performing that considering her general vibe.

I'd like to be spared "Reflection" just because of how many times it's already been butchered on Idol over the years.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I'm not sure what Maddie should sing, but what came to mind was "Baby Mine." I could see her performing that considering her general vibe.

I'd like to be spared "Reflection" just because of how many times it's already been butchered on Idol over the years.

I could also see Dennis dedicating Baby Mine to his daughters to tug at the heartstrings, in which case Maddie could cover Once Upon a Dream. And if Ada doesn't cover Reflection, Gabby will.

Other hopes/predictions:

Cade- one of the villain songs
Caleb- You've Got a Friend in Me (Toy Story)
Catie- Part of Your World (The Little Mermaid)
Michelle- Remember Me (Coco)

• Love 1

I actually thought of "You've Got a Friend in Me" for Caleb, too. "Once Upon a Dream" and "Remember Me" are really good choices for Maddie and Michelle. I'd rather Cade re-work a villain song, but I'm guessing he'll go the safe route and cover Fall Out Boy's "Immortals" from Big Hero 6.

• Love 1