Type keyword(s) to search

Best and Worst Celebrities

kjh
  • Start Topic

Some celebrities are the friend you want on your team who inexplicably know everything. Some celebrities are someone's cousin's boyfriend and no one knows who invited them. Who do you like, and who are you never inviting to game night again?

My favorite was Cobie Smulders. Least favorite was Martin Short, who was an obnoxious ham who wouldn't play the games.

• Love 1

I liked Jason Sudeikis, mostly because he made me laugh ("I'm not even that drunk, I had so much bread today!"), not because of his clue giving. I'm pretty sure his Alec Baldwin clue is in the running for worst. clue. ever. 

Also: Retta, Valerie Bertinelli, Yvette Nicole Brown

Martin Short is the worst.

• Love 1

Yvette Nicole Brown was one of my favourites. Extremely focused and clearly took the responsibility of helping the civilian win the money with the appropriate degree of seriousness.

Martin Short is the undisputed worst, but Rosie O'Donnell and Mel B. were pretty terrible too -- the former wouldn't stop shrieking AND got shit wrong, and the latter knew nothing AND dressed like a goddamn moron in a strapless bustier jumpsuit and spike heels.

• Love 2

Agree with Tara about Rosie's shreaking but I still haven't stopped laughing at Penny Marshall giving the clue "Korea" in her slurred Penny Marshall speech for MASH, Rosie screaming the correct answer and the other team being SOOO confused because none of them speak Penny Marshall and all thought she said "career". My husband and I just say Korea to each other at least once a day and giggle. 

• Love 5

I was amused by their reaction to getting "A League Of Their Own", though I agree that Rosie was annoying and shrill.

I keep seeing Allison Janney in the commercials and I'm hoping this does not shatter my long-held belief that she is great.

Undoubtedly Yvette Nicole Brown is tops. Martin Short worst. I can take most of the others.

Jane Lynch has this weird pronunciation thing where Yvette is "Ya-vet" and Yvonne is "Ya-vonn." Is this one of those embarrassing things that can happen to any of us where nobody ever corrected us on a certain pronunciation? (Or we just never focused enough to hear the difference, like Britta's "baggles" on Community, supposedly based on Dan Harmon's own mishearing.)

Top 3 celebs: Rachel Bilson, Yvette Nicole Brown, Anthony Anderson

Worst 3 celebs: Angela Kinsley, Taraji Henson, Mark Paul Gosselar, who we're all on the same team.  I felt bad for their civilian, because he did a great job.  Mark Paul was such a disappointment to me since I love Zack Morris!  He just didn't seem to be very into the show or competitive at all (Tiffani and Mario did much better on their shows).

Edited by DkNNy79

Actually Martin Short revealed that he can be a good gameplayer, when in his first show Alyson Hannigan and Lisa Kudrow got a system going with Take the Hint, and he fell in line with it. They did very well. But that's about the only time he left himself alone and just participated.

• Love 1

I don't much care whether someone is a good game player, team player, or what have you. (I guess because I don't care which civilian ends up winning.) Only one thing matters to me: Do you make me laugh? Martin Short passes this test.

• Love 1

Hoda Kotb, as she is everywhere, was crap.  The only way it could have been worse is if her drunk crony Kathie Lee was there too.

Henry Winkler--proving for about the millionth time that he's not actually Fonzie--was just... there.  Like a lump. Speaking of lumps... then there was Penny Marshall.  Ugh.

Another person who fell flat was Bababooey.  Given that he's actually not a performer of any type, it's not surprising I guess, but he DOES have tons of experience "live", so this kind of "live on tape" thing should have been familiar to him.

Edited by Kromm

Just to clarify: I don't generally (there are exceptions) care much while civilian wins. But I enjoy playing party games myself -- I belong to a big multigenerational family of game players -- and I enjoy seeing games well played, and feel uncomfortable seeing them poorly played or treated with indifference.

• Love 1

I only found this show because I hate basketball, and The Big Bang Theory was pre-empted by March Madness.  This show is great!  NBC had two episodes back-to-back, and I have to say that Michael Chiklis was unexpectedly hilarious.  Cobie Smulders was great too.  Henry Winkler wasn't an asshat, but he was kind of slow in comparison with the rest of the group.  He just mostly seemed bewildered to me.  How much booze do they actually drink?

My whole standard for a show like this is whether or not I think I'm seeing any spontaneity in people whose lives and personas are so closely managed.  So when the comedy people are funny, that's fine -- but when a more dramatic actor gets goofy or loses his/her mind on a game, I love it.

• Love 2

Martin Short continues to put his desperate need for attention ahead of everybody and everything.  I don't find desperation funny.  It makes me uncomfortable.

I'd love to see some stunt casting for this show.  Gary Busey, for example, would be an interesting guest.  And it would be awfully fun to watch how Kanye would handle losing a round or two.

• Love 1

For those ragging on Henry Winkler, you do know that he had a serious learning disability to the point where his childhood doctor declared him r*******, so I think it's more than fair to cut him a good bit of slack.

As for Martin Short it's not like he has a lot of irons in the fire movie or tv show wise, this is more a ploy for some casting director to notice him.

After last night's, I'll happily add Zachary Levi to the "best" list. He did very well all through (several times figuring out the homophone movie titles before anyone else), and was exceptionally good in the final round, even with the 10-second Jenner detour. It was also nice to see him so genuinely appreciative of the efforts of others.

Which brings me to last night's winner, Matt. He must be about the best contestant they've had: he was quick and sharp in game after game, and his pop culture knowledge was really impressive in those last 90 seconds. (You could see the celebrities watching wide-eyed with awe -- though admittedly it doesn't take much to out-play Jaime Pressly.)

• Love 2
.  Mark Paul was such a disappointment to me since I love Zack Morris!  He just didn't seem to be very into the show or competitive at all (Tiffani and Mario did much better on their shows).

So totally this!

MPG, Martin Short and now Michael Weatherthly top my "Worst 3."

Yvette Nicole Brown and Rachel Bilson were two of my favorites.  I'd love to see Retta again.  I'm not sure if she was one of the best ever, but her reactions are generally priceless to me.

• Love 1

So totally this!

Was Michael Weatherly really shitfaced or was he hamming it up? What an annoying, useless person... I want to shove Ritalin down Martin Short's throat or put him in a Hannibal mask.

(edited)

Yvette Nicole Brown is a goddess of this game, no question. I too would like to see Retta again, she just seemed tuned in to pop culture in a way that's good for the game. Aubrey Plaza played well, but I don't have much memory of her as a personality. Jason Sudeikis has now lost the final round twice (he seemed drunk the first time, mended his ways the second time but had a bad partner), but I enjoy him in the rest of the game, and his second time he and Alison Janney and Don Cheadle made an enjoyable team; I wouldn't mind seeing them reunited. Donald Faison should keep coming back till someone picks him for final round as he deserves. To my surprise, I want to see Andy Roddick again, but only if he gets to play How Do You Doo. And Zachary Levi can show up any time he wants.

Martin Short will always and forever be on my Faces I Never Want To See Again list (and he's been there for years, it's not just this show). Henry Winkler seemed well-intentioned but out of it. But the one who must never be allowed on again is Jaime Pressly.

Edited by Rinaldo
  • Love 1

So totally this!

I know Weatherthly was putting on a big act with the tuxedo and martini glass, nevertheless it just came off as massively toolish and "look at me"-ish.

The key to be view-able on this show, IMO, has less to do with pop culture knowledge, or even intelligence, but with at least being able to simulate, even if not actually being, somewhat genuine.  But also, I admit, not being a lump, like a few of the older celebrities have been--who if they don't want to ham it up far too much like Martin Short go way too far in the other direction.  

This is versus actually being good at the games inside the show (where I agree that Zach Levi, for example, was great but lost some viewability because he was a bit too hyper).  I'd even argue that in a way Jaime Pressley was good viewing, because well... extreme stupidity can be kind of entertaining.  

---------------

Just made a new topic called Celebrity Guest Wishlist, to act as a flip-side for this topic (this one to talk about who's been on that we enjoyed and who we didn't and that one to spitball about future guests).

I think there are genuine philosophical differences among us all  (which is fine, of course) as to what is most valuable. I really want them to be good at the games, or at least some of the games; and if they are, then I'll consider other spices like liveliness as secondary elements. Extreme stupidity is not entertaining to me: it makes me angry and eventually unhappy.

• Love 3

I mostly want them to be entertaining, but not torpedo their civilian's chances by doing their schtick instead of giving clues or whatever they are supposed to be doing. It drives me nuts when they let the clock run while they are busy making jokes or whatever.

Being halfway decent at the games is a plus too.

• Love 3

I agree; I think that you want people who are least conversant in pop-culture, and can play to the camera, without being too attention-grabbing and frenetic. This is, it seems, tougher than it sounds.

I'll poiint to Rachel Bilson as a good example of someone who can straddle that line.  She was solid (but not outstanding) int he game-play, and she seemed genuiine and invested, and really supported her civilian.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'll poiint to Rachel Bilson as a good example of someone who can straddle that line.  She was solid (but not outstanding) int he game-play, and she seemed genuiine and invested

Yeah, but that's kind of Rachel's superpower (seeming genuine).  Even still this many years into her career, stuff like this comes out of her (literally, if you read what she actually says):  Rachel Bilson's Love For Cheetos Leads To A Major TMI Moment

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1
(edited)

Ha Ha Ha!

Thanks for that, Kromm; I hadn't seen it before.

Sadly, (EWWW! factor aside) that whole interview just endears her to me MORE, rather than less.

That's what I meant by it.

I just realized the comma I had after "even still" might have implied I was providing a contrast to the statement about her being genuine, rather than an example of it, so I just edited that comma out.  I mean blathering on about your red cheeto poo?  You don't get more real than that.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

Just to give some love to someone who hasn't been mentioned: I enjoyed Taran Killam, not just because he was fairly good at the game, but because he clearly wasn't having Angie Harmon and was sitting on the arm of the couch as though he couldn't get far enough away from her. Couldn't blame him in the least.

• Love 1

because he clearly wasn't having Angie Harmon and was sitting on the arm of the couch as though he couldn't get far enough away from her.

I must not have been paying attention to that episode (or maybe it is one I haven't seen) but now I'm going to go look for it because that cracks me up.

The thing is, don't the celebrities go through a pre-show  dry run of the games, to see if they do reasonably at the games?  Or is that why visible booze is okay? The celebrities that can moderate their indulgences and can play the games might have a fun taping, as well as potentially win a charity some cash, while some just see a chance to kick back, booze up, and get in front of a camera? Not judging (okay, maybe a smidge), but I am genuinely unsure how the celebrities past the first season have been picked (outside the returnees who seemed to have fun/were good at the games, like HGN power couple Roddick/Decker and the amazeballs Donald Faison.)

Maybe I'd watch the trainwreck of Drunk Martin Short, Drunk Leah Remini, and Drunk Michael Weatherly on the same team.  Maybe not.

Maybe I'd watch the trainwreck of Drunk Martin Short, Drunk Leah Remini, and Drunk Michael Weatherly on the same team.  Maybe not.

Lord.  Imagine the trio of those three versus a "acts like they're too good for the show/don't give a fuck" trio like Martha Stewart, Wynonna Judd and maybe... Mario Lopez.

Now THAT would be a trainwreck.  

• Love 2

Martin Short and Jason Alexander were on tonight with Julia Bowen and I was in stitches.  This show makes me laugh more than a sitcom.

I believe that's a repeat from January.  I have to say that I personally couldn't stand either of them in that episode, although Alexander at least was trying. 

• Love 1

although Alexander at least was trying.

At what point do you, as the civilian captain, just end a game? When one of the more celebrated comedians of the last couple of decades is drunk (or "drunk") and decided he doesn't  want to  or can't be bothered with these games anymore because he'd have to think and not continually pull focus? Is it when that respected actor calls out "You're not winnin' this!"?

I did not see this episode when it was first aired and I'm still hacked this many hours after the repeat aired. Hacked for the guy who just wanted to play some goofy games and potentially leave with some more dollars than he came in with. Not that I'm crying for Eugene the Stockbroker, but it's... rude. It wasn't funny or edgy or neutral. Short was rudest to his civilian and Julie Bowen (essentially dry humping her for America to see in the 7-8PM CST block.) And that was his second time on the show. Hey, Marty? Just say 'No, thank you' if you don't want to be there. 

On the other side, pretty much literally, I definitely would ask for Valerie Bertinelli and Julie Bowen to be on my team. Both are team players and very competitive!

Also, Lester Holt needs a second chance! He seemed good in the games, if not super-memorable. 

• Love 1