Type keyword(s) to search

S35: Spoilers & Rumors

• Start Topic

Looking ahead to season 36 which is currently in filming now, Redmond has revealed the name of the season and it is a bit intriguing if you ask me.

http://insidesurvivor.com/survivor-season-36-title-revealed-28030

"We can reveal that the rumored title for Survivor Season 36 will be Survivor: Ghost Island and will feature all-new players. Personally, I’d have gone with Ghosts vs. Ghouls vs. Goblins.

Despite sounding like the title of a PC adventure game from the 1990s, Ghost Island is, in fact, the haunting new title for the thirty-sixth edition of Survivor. What to expect from the theme? The details are unclear at the minute, but we will update once we have more information.

Will it be a game-related twist similar to Exile Island or Redemption Island? Or maybe it will be based around the idea of “ghosts of Survivor past,” a sort of “flashback” season, perhaps channeling elements from previous years (old twists and challenges, etc.)? Or perhaps Jeff Probst has become a necromancer and has literally raised the dead to compete for $1 million?"

• Love 3

I'm intrigued, but also nervous.  I hope this isn't some twist where it's all newbies, but the tribes are made of castaways that know each other-except it's more like BB twist and less like BvsW where they really don't want the other person there.  

The newest dumb twist is revealed.

http://insidesurvivor.com/a-game-changing-twist-set-for-season-35-28428

"In Season 35, the winner of the Final Four Immunity Challenge will not only guarantee their spot at the Final Tribal Council, but they will also have the power to choose one other person to join them. The two castaways not chosen will then battle it out in a fire-making challenge with the winner advancing to the Final Three. This means the last proper vote-off will take place at the Final Five."

"Survivor is often criticized for the way the “strongest” players are eliminated just before Final Tribal Council, losing out on the chance to plead their case to the jury. But those Day 38 Club woes could be a thing of the past with this monumental shake-up to the game. It would provide an opportunity for those usually voted out for being “jury threats,” and therefore potentially creating a more competitive Final Tribal Council."

Yes. That same argument was made when it was a final 2 and the big threats were getting voted out at final 3.  Now the argument is being made that the big threats are getting voted out at final 4. Will the same argument be made when inevitably the players adapt to this dumb twist and start voting out the big threats by final 5. Will they then make another change then?  

Just go back to the final 2 already. Sheesh.

• Love 5
(edited)

Yeah, this twist isn't going to change anything.  I wonder if they'll tell them ahead of time, or actually spring it on them right at the final 4?  If anything this makes it more likely that a goat gets dragged to the final 3, and a real strong player that might have otherwise made it gets screwed.

Better yet, why don't they just handpick the winner?  It's clear that most of these changes come about because they're pissed someone didn't make it to the end and/or win.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 5
(edited)
On 7/5/2017 at 3:00 PM, LanceM said:

"Survivor is often criticized for the way the “strongest” players are eliminated just before Final Tribal Council, losing out on the chance to plead their case to the jury. But those Day 38 Club woes could be a thing of the past with this monumental shake-up to the game. It would provide an opportunity for those usually voted out for being “jury threats,” and therefore potentially creating a more competitive Final Tribal Council."

Do people really complain about this? The "strongest player" (whatever that means) can be voted out at any time. I have never noticed a pattern of them being voted out at final four--and he mentions a grand total of 3 occurrences in the previous 34 seasons. And how does it make FTC "more competitive"? The winner chooses a goat, then two people compete in a challenge that isn't that compelling or demanding. There's still going to be at least one player who gets shut out of the votes. 

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Love 2

Re Ryan Ulrich its just puzzing to me that someone's job is listed as a bellhop, especially in Lancaster PA?  There is a Hilton Garden in Lancaster but only Hilton Hotels offer bellhop and concierge service?  IDK, who is a bellhop anymore? At 24 he can't have moved up to working behind the desk?   Doesn't seem like he has much hustle to me.
He looks a little goofy to me.  Bellhop as a hustler.  Following my imagination on that goes wrong quickly

Ben Dreibergen  - um.  don't like snaggly toothed guys with snaggly beards.  Just by looks, past etc. he reminds me of Kyle Jason that was a bounty hunter or Dan.  So then I find In his newish twitter account he has a Kyle Jason retweet.  

More from Inside Survivor - 

The Soko tribe aka the Healers (color red): Cole Medders (24), Desi Williams (27), Jessica Johnston (27), Joe Mann (35), Mike Zahalsky (43), and Roark Luskin (27). The Healers tribe has an average age of 30.5. The word “soko” means “to sail.”

The Levu tribe aka the Heroes: Alan Ball (32), Ashley Nolan (26), Ben Driebergen (34), Chrissy Hofbeck (46), John Paul Hilsabeck (28), and Katrina Gerry-Radke (46). The Heroes tribe has an average age of 35.33. The word “levu” means “big,” “large” or “many.”

The Yawa tribe aka the Hustlers: Ali Elliot (24), Devon Pinto (24), Lauren Rimmer (37), Patrick Bolton (24), Ryan Ulrich (24), and Simone Nguyen (25). The Hustlers tribe has an average age of 26.33. The word “yawa” means “distance” or if relating to a person “far out” or “unexpectedly extraordinary.”

So quite a bit of info out there, full cast, what tribe, tribe colors.  When is this airing? 

• Love 1

I'm wondering if Ryan really is a bell hop and lives somewhere else, or was a bell hop at one point and isn't anymore.  I heard Michele Fitzgerald say on her RHAP that the career they listed for her (bartender?) wasn't what she was doing at that point.  And it wouldn't be the first time they've listed a contestant's home city as being different from where they really live at that point. 

I'll be glad when there's a tribe swap and they can put this stupid theme to rest.  I'm happy to have two seasons of newbies, and hope we don't get another returning player season for awhile.  But I'm not sure what to make of this cast.  From pictures, it looks like a lot of male types that Probst will love and try to be the leader/calling the shots, and some of the women look like they might just fall into a male led alliance and get dragged along.  I still don't believe the final 4 twist is going to change bringing goats to the end.  So I'm iffy on the cast, but we'll see when the videos and interviews get released.  I do have high hopes for Patrick, Desi, Ashley, and Simone.  I'm on the fence with John Paul, Cole, Devon, and Alan.  I love the athletes on Dancing with the Stars, but haven't cared for them on other reality shows.  So we'll see.

It's interesting to have both casts spoiled so close together, almost completely (still waiting on one for S36).

So quite a bit of info out there, full cast, what tribe, tribe colors.  When is this airing? 

It starts Sept. 27th, a week later than normal.

On 6/7/2017 at 8:00 AM, LanceM said:

The newest dumb twist is revealed.

http://insidesurvivor.com/a-game-changing-twist-set-for-season-35-28428

"In Season 35, the winner of the Final Four Immunity Challenge will not only guarantee their spot at the Final Tribal Council, but they will also have the power to choose one other person to join them. The two castaways not chosen will then battle it out in a fire-making challenge with the winner advancing to the Final Three. This means the last proper vote-off will take place at the Final Five."

Yes. That same argument was made when it was a final 2 and the big threats were getting voted out at final 3.  Now the argument is being made that the big threats are getting voted out at final 4. Will the same argument be made when inevitably the players adapt to this dumb twist and start voting out the big threats by final 5. Will they then make another change then?  

Just go back to the final 2 already. Sheesh.

Considering what Probst has been like with his "evolution of the game" bullshit the last couple of years, there has to be some sort of logical reason for this monstrosity of a twist, rather than just making the change for the sake of it. So here's a wild theory:

1) CBS is not a huge fan of the Final Three format, but Probst et al have been very vocally against the Final Two behind the scenes.

2) We know Probst et al were basically consultants on last year's Australian Survivor, and some members of the US crew worked on it; it seems plausible they actually watched it too.

3) The use of a Final Two in that season was such a success, even with a blowout vote, that it changed Probst's mind on the format's merits. (For those of you who didn't watch, the specific situation was basically the final three from All-Stars, except Jenna Lewis won the challenge - the same challenge, even - and had to take either Rob or Amber to FTC with her.)

4) Rather than admit he fucked up with the Final Three, Probst devised this twist to bring back the "lesser of two evils" element of the original F3 boot scenario, while keeping the F3, adding the fire tiebreaker to further push his nonsensical beliefs that The Strong Players Who Always Get Voted Out happen to be the people who are good at challenges rather than the people whose social game is so brilliant they win in any of the hypothetical FTC situations he loves to ask about during the reunions.

I think that makes a bucketload more sense than the reasoning he's actually trying to use. It's not a great format and I can't see a situation in which fans who don't hear about this before it's revealed on screen aren't FURIOUS about it, but at least it's better than when South Africa's version tried something similar and had an endurance challenge at F4 with the first to fall booted immediately before the challenge winner had to pick one of the other two as their FTC opponent. That one was a fucking disaster.

• Love 1

I'm sticking with Brad Culpepper lost, and Probst thinks that Tai would have won in a fire tie breaker over Sarah, sending him to the final 3 with Brad/Troy, giving Brad a victory.  However, given Brad's behavior, and the jury's attitude towards Tai, I think there's a chance Brad still would have lost.  If they think this is going to eliminate goats getting to the final 3 and keeping strong, strategic players in, it's likely going to backfire.  That'll just take players like that out earlier, and people more likely to be goats.

I do wonder if this is a CBS idea or a Probst one.  In re-watching some of the earlier seasons I feel like CBS has given up on this show.  They're probably waiting until the 40th season anniversary in 3 years, and then will probably either axe it, or stream it online only.

• Love 1

I do wonder if this is a CBS idea or a Probst one.  In re-watching some of the earlier seasons I feel like CBS has given up on this show.  They're probably waiting until the 40th season anniversary in 3 years, and then will probably either axe it, or stream it online only.

I don't see it ending any time soon. Still regularly number one in its time slot and being a reality show, the budget is much lower than an average scripted TV series. It's likely at this point CBS lets them do whatever they want to do but I think that's a sign of trust.

Anyway, this twist will pretty much only work one time and that's in the event they don't give the contestants any outside warning. Otherwise, smart players will just think around it like they do with any other twist. 

• Love 4

Posting this here because of some spoilerish info.  At 1:45, there's mention of new twists this season (doesn't specify what exactly).  Jeff says something about secrets between players, and players having secrets, but that seems more like the usual-people share info, people lie about what they do for a living.  He said they told people if they had a secret, and was surprised what they did with it.  So maybe it's actually something, or maybe just tattling on each other.  Jeff says he was hoarse by the end of the season because it was so exciting (sounds like it starts off slow but gets exciting towards the middle, which is typical anymore).  I'm guessing the men do well this season by his reaction.   At the very end (around the 4:10 mark), Jeff makes a comment about not knowing who was going to win in the end.  I know some people are speculating there's a tie this season, so I wonder if that's a subtle hint at that.

5 hours ago, marys1000 said:

we are talking season 35 here right?

Yes.

Here's a lengthly interview from Probst.  I was way off what Hustlers was supposed to stand for:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/survivor-jeff-probst-explains-everything-know-season-35-1033552

The only hiccup that I think anyone had is there's another connotation to "Hustlers," which is that you're a con man. My pitch to CBS was, "People might think that until we explain that that's not the case. This guy is an entrepreneur, this guy is a bellhop, she's a third-generation fisher person, she's a personal assistant. These are people who hustle. They get it done." In a sense, as I said today, they're actually the closest to the personification of what a Survivor player has to do. You have to hustle. If you don't get it done, you don't eat. 

Edited by LadyChatts
On 9/28/2017 at 8:21 PM, LanceM said:

Episode 2 press photos:

http://insidesurvivor.com/survivor-heroes-healers-hustlers-episode-2-press-photos-29353

oh and in case anyone cares the merged tribe buff color for the merge is purple, spoiler thanks to Boston Rob who tweeted this pic of his 4 adorable daughters (he did the exact same thing last season too)

Okay, I feel old again.  Remember watching their parents meet for the first time?

• Love 7

I do think the Hustlers are the next to lose, and Lauren probably finds herself the odd one out.  We saw Ali/Patrick possibly feuding, and there was something in the episode description about someone annoying their tribe mates.  I'm guessing Patrick is set up as a red herring boot, and Lauren really goes.  It also said that an idol clue was found (by Joe from the preview) and 2 castaways teamed up to look for it.  Interesting that Joe was sitting out of the IC in the sneak peek challenge clip I saw.  Wondering if he found the idol and is that confident, or just that confident in general that he and his mouth full of hot air would be safe (probably the latter).

The next few episodes titles are:

Ep 2: "I'm A Wild Banshee"

Ep 3: "My Kisses Are Private" (possibly a Cole/Jessica quote-seems like they are still a couple off the show)

Ep 4: "I Don't Like Having Snakes Around"

Here's one of the previews, and with Ryan's TH, I'm thinking that might be some lead up to TC. 

2 hours ago, marys1000 said:

Spent a few minutes on reddit where there is som speculation....probably gotten from screen and sm analysis.  Possible next boots Lauren or Decon

It is speculation based on social media, namely that Lauren added Devon, Cole, Desi, Ashley and Joe to her facebook account and many are speculating that these are the pre-merge  players who went on the pre-jury trip together. I don't put much stock in social media speculation not that I don't see the logic in their conclusions but because it can be unreliable. I remember back prior to Worlds Apart there was speculation that the dominant alliance was going to be Hali, Joe, Jenn, Mike and Shirin based solely on the fact that there were lots of pictures of them hanging out together including a trip they made to Hawaii. This was of course very wrong. I will wait and see what happens this season.

• Love 1

I've heard Roark might win.  Some people were pointing to the symbolism of her lighting the torch at the beginning of last week's episode.  I'm worried we're going to get a Dr. Mike win.  One upset in and he already annoyed me, and I can see him being a combo of Adam/Zeke.  I've seen snippets of his SM posted on other sites, and he's even more annoying on there.

I know you can't go by SM in terms of boot list.  Especially if the castaways know how to play the game to throw people off.  I do think it could be between Lauren and Devon if the Hustlers lose this week (if the tiff between Ali/Patrick amounts to anything, maybe one of them).  But I'd have a hard time seeing Patrick, Ali, Simone, or Ryan go this early.  Ryan saying he'd save Devon with the idol maybe is foreshadowing to something else.  I know it's hard to determine since we got zero tribe dynamics from them or the Healers last week.  In terms of the Healers, I'm guessing Dr. Mike, Cole, and Jessica are safe.  I'd love to see Joe get his torch snuffed, but I'm probably not lucky enough to have that happen.  Heroes would probably be the most interesting loss, because it would seem Ben could be a crucial swing vote if that were the case.  It seemed like he was making deals with Alan/Chrissy and Ashley in the previews. 

I had seen rumors Simone was pre-jury, but I didn't really believe it.  After watching I get it, but I still expected her to last longer.  So will Patrick vs Lauren next week lead to something, or another red herring?

So episode 5 is titled "The Past Will Eat You Alive"  Probst said that secrets would come into play this season, so I wonder if this will be one of those cases where it ends up hurting someone's game.  Patrick/Ali attended the same school, Ryan had the Super Idol which he only told Devon about (and that Chrissy was given).  It sounds like every ep quote is setting up the story for the ep.  I do wonder if someone finds out Patrick/Ali went to the same school and think they have some kind of pre-made alliance or something.

You can’t tell me production didn’t cast Patrick & Ali on purpose. Every single person on the show is recruited for a reason, so they can have someone to fit each mold of the type of player Probst likes: athelete, smart, entitled, bratty, etc.

• Love 2

As I said in the episode thread, I think its possible Survivor didn't realise Patrick and Ali knew each other from college.  If they went to, say UCLA, with thousands of students, there's no reason to think they'd know each other.  I don't think production is asking them the names of every person they know from college.  Who knows how they met in college?  Frat party?  Dorm party?  Working at food services? took a non-major class, happened to sit next to each other and hit it off?  Friend of a friend?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Hanahope said:

As I said in the episode thread, I think its possible Survivor didn't realise Patrick and Ali knew each other from college.  If they went to, say UCLA, with thousands of students, there's no reason to think they'd know each other.  I don't think production is asking them the names of every person they know from college.  Who knows how they met in college?  Frat party?  Dorm party?  Working at food services? took a non-major class, happened to sit next to each other and hit it off?  Friend of a friend?

Only hook would be that by the Survivor contract, contestants must notify producers if they discover a fellow contestant is someone they know.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Nashville said:

Only hook would be that by the Survivor contract, contestants must notify producers if they discover a fellow contestant is someone they know.

I'm sure they did inform them, but it possible wasn't until they showed up for the flight to the island.  Honestly, I don't know if they see each other before that time.  I think I read or heard somewhere that they are in a hotel for brief time before the flight, but maybe they didn't see each other much.  I know Survivor has 'back ups' but maybe there's a time limit on how late they will call one up.

Maybe the decision as to whether to allow both to continue depended on how well they knew each other.  I would say there's a bit of difference between a casual aquaintence from a class and dating, for example.  Maybe we'll get more info after their boot interviews.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

The backups are at the hotel also, in case of a last-minute replacement, ready to go. 

I’m convinced production put these two in there on purpose.

Or even if TPTB didn't know beforehand - once notified, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they decided to take advantage of the information....

ONE CASTAWAY’S ROMANTIC FEELINGS FOR A TRIBEMATE MAY CAUSE THEM TO SPILL SECRETS, ON “SURVIVOR,” WEDNESDAY, OCT. 11

“My Kisses Are Very Private” – One castaway’s romantic feelings for another tribemate may cause them to spill secrets, and another castaway’s lack of social skills could prove to be a problem, on SURVIVOR, Wednesday, Oct. 11 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

CHEAT TWEET: L-O-V-E could spell trouble 4 a castaway if feelings interfere w/ the game @SurvivorCBS #HeroesHealersHustlers 10/11 8PM

Doesn't really sound like the Heroes are described up above, so I'm guessing either Healers or Hustlers will be going to TC. 

Maybe Chrissy tries to bluff with the defunct idol, and Ryan rats her out?

Hmm, hadn't thought of that.  I wonder if that could come back to Ryan, too, if everyone finds out he had this SuperIdol and gave it to Chrissy (not that he had a choice to give it away).

Edited by LadyChatts

Yeah, I think he used it wisely.  He could definitely spin it that he chose Chrissy specifically because she looked to be the weakest during the competition (what with the poor performance and public vomiting) and therefore the easiest castaway on that tribe to vote off, so by giving her the SuperIdol he totally puts a wrench in the easy plan.  This would weaken the opposing tribe by keeping a weaker member on, sow chaos, and unbalance the tribe, thus giving his tribe an advantage at the next challenge.   Too bad for him the Hero tribe had a different target in mind, and his nefarious plan came all to naught.

• Love 2

Ali and Patrick both went to Auburn University which is a pretty big place so it is understandable that Casting would think they probably didn't know each other. But still though I wonder if they even asked them :

Anyway, Simone has been asked about this in her interview today:

Were you aware of Ali and Patrick’s close connection from the beginning of the game, or was that not as prevalent out on the island?

"Absolutely not! I had no idea that they knew each other, I had no idea that they went to college together, I had no idea that Patrick helped Ali move into her house and moved her mattress up the stairs. That was not privy to me."

Now it should be noted that SImone on RHAP today said she wasn't bothered by this too much.

• Love 2

If the Hustlers lose, I think it'll be between Lauren and Patrick.  We'll see if there's anything to who followed who first on SM and the potential boot lists out there, because Lauren followed Katrina and Simone originally.  I don't typically buy into that, but how funny would it be if that ended up being the case this time.

If the Healers lose, Dr. Mike is too big of a character to get voted off any time soon.  I think they could be leading to a Joe blindside.  If Desi suddenly gets a ton of airtime, I guess I'll say good bye to her because it'll be obvious she's going.  Same with Roark.

Edited by LadyChatts
1 hour ago, cooksdelight said:

That makes sense. So why come on this show?

Are you saying that only extroverts and social butterflies belong on the show?   What is this BB?  Granted the whole shift from survival to strategy and to now apparently a prettiest popular high school contest has practically ruined Survivor  but still, unattractive introverted fans should be allowed. 

• Love 1

I was speaking from experience. I have a good friend who is just like Lauren, she works alone on the graveyard shift, is very uncomfortable interacting with strangers. It would scare the daylights out of her to be in this type situation. I was not suggesting that Lauren should not be on the show, but just wondering out loud what her motivation was to put herself in a setting where she might be very uncomfortable.

• Love 1