Type keyword(s) to search

Speculation with Spoilers: We're all Seers Now

duckyone
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I imagine the taking if Paris like one of the pages of The Playbook by Barney Stinson:

First: Take the cross from your dead priest friend, say sorry to him

Second: Shave your head completely, like...a monk

Third: Go to Paris and try to conquer it with all your forces...meanwhile some of your enemy in your side could possibly die

Fourth: When nothing seems to work, you'll end badly wounded...everybody in paris would be happy, but actually you're fine

Fifth: Let everybody know that before you die you want to became christian and be buried with honor in paris

Sixth: You die and the parisienns will accept your coffin and your honor parade inside the city

Seventh: Once in the city, jump out of the coffin, slay them all, now the city is yours!

I suppose it's possible. Hmmmm…sort of a "Trojan Coffin." I like it! ;)  I think, though, the damage one man could do-even Ragnar-wouldn't be enough to accomplish the task.

I've been thinking about what the Seer said, “I see that not the living, but the dead, will conquer Paris," and what it might mean. Aren't there at least two "dead men walking" right now with Ragnar? It certainly appears that both Floki and Kalf are not long for this world. I'm wondering if Ragnar is sacrificing both of them to conquer Paris though I can't predict the details.

Edited by RiddleyWalker
(edited)

Oh, now I have a new theory after reading this bit in wikipedia regarding the siege of Paris of 885-886.

For two months the Vikings maintained the siege, making trenches and provisioning themselves off the land. In January 886 they tried to fill the river shallows with debris, plant matter, and the bodies of dead animals and dead prisoners to try to get around the tower. They continued this for two days. On the third day they set three ships alight and guided them towards the wooden bridge. The burning ships sank before they could set the bridge on fire, but the wooden construction was nonetheless weakened.[17][18] On 6 February, rains caused the river (still filled with debris) to overflow and the bridge supports gave way.

Could these dead be the ones the Seer was referring to? 

Edited by RiddleyWalker
  • Love 1

I didn't mean just ragnar but him and a possible "guard of honor"...with weapons hidden in the coffin...if you read the sagas, actually this is a "classic viking trick" which they claim to had used several times (to enter the city of Luni and some other cities in sicily)...but yes they should menage to find a way in which this trick works cinematografily. We'll see.

• Love 1

I didn't mean just ragnar but him and a possible "guard of honor"...with weapons hidden in the coffin...if you read the sagas, actually this is a "classic viking trick" which they claim to had used several times (to enter the city of Luni and some other cities in sicily)...but yes they should menage to find a way in which this trick works cinematografily. We'll see.

You may be on to something! We'll see how it plays out..

(edited)

Aha! I've been thinking more about this and the person in the coffin might as well actually be dead. The key to the ruse is getting the "guard of honor" and weapons inside. You could even have two or more "Christians" and their coffins brought in. Wouldn't it be ironic if Floki is killed in battle and put in the coffin with Ragnar's cross and dressed in Ragnar's monkish clothes? Oh man, now that would be a great twist! Might as well put Kalf's body in the other coffin… ;) On the other hand, Ragnar may want to play the part of a warrior monk accompanying his "Christian" brethren and keep his clothes, staff and cross.

ETA: If Ragnar does play the role of the "warrior monk" (or just plain monk or priest)  that may also explain his words to Athelstan,"Forgive me my friend for what I'm about to do," as well as the clothing, shaved head, and cross. (Ragnar must be a "method actor.")  He may have had this plan all in mind all along...

Edited by RiddleyWalker

I'm new here, so please excuse me if I'm posting the wrong thing in the wrong place.  I am getting that folks are making predictions here with possibly spoilers too, so:

1. I think the Seer's prediction to Rollo and Ragnar....the thing to Ragnar about the Bear and the Princess.  I think its possible that Rollo is somehow going to marry the King of Paris' daughter OR, going back much further, the Seer also told Ragnar that Bjorn would marry a princess........so it could be Bjorn?  Don't ask me how....

2. I think Horiks son and Calf are playing a long game in trying to overthrow Ragnar.....but I think Horik's son's wife, who clearly has some feeling for Bjorn, may later frustrate this plot.  I think Ragnar will grow to regret not helping Lagertha take back her earldom

3. I think Ragnar might use is new appearance to possibly pose as a monk; i've seen the mention here previously.  I agree with the idea that the dead will somehow open the doors.......maybe inviting a Troy-like situation.

Anyone agree?

• Love 2

At which part do you seem this masked person?  I want to re-watch and see it too.

After watching the episode last night now I"m REALLY thinking that it's Rollo who might marry the princess.  I realize it seems far-fetched right now, but remember the Seer told Ragnar that "the bear will marry the princess " and told him this would be very bad for him.  Now, I suppose it could be referring to the princess in Wessex, but that seems even MORE far-fetched.

I seem to remember a masked figure in Frankia castle looking very uncomfortable in episode 8. I think it could be Athelstan... or maybe a long lost twin? If not, who was it?

That was the cowardly French Emperor. 

• Love 1

Did anybody watch the previews? Was it Rollo who was being dragged by his hair with the French princess saying "Bring me his head"?

Yeah, I'm thinking that was Rollo and I'm thinking Ragnar is able to intervene in some fashion. I think the next episode will be a showcase for Ragnar in all his "Magnificent Barstard-ness".

• Love 1

Hmmmm… Looking at that now, I don't think it's Rollo (though the preview wants us to worry that it is).

It probably is Rollo since how better to meet your future wife then having her almost behead you during your first "date" as it were.  :-)

But really the raised axe and pause stuff always means there is a "Wait!" coming at the last second.

But yeah the hair looks lighter but it is pulled forward.  Maybe Rollo was secretly dying his outer hair brown cause brown was the blonde of the day, heh.

Edited by green
  • Love 2

"Who will bring me his head?"

Ah, romance!  I can see Odo volunteering, thinking it will impress the princess enough to make her change her mind about him.  Too bad it's not Floki instead of Rollo.  I mean, Floki?  She wouldn't look twice, but shirtless Rollo?  

"Um, on second thought...."

Edited by Haleth

"Who will bring me his head?"

Ah, romance!  I can see Odo volunteering, thinking it will impress the princess enough to make her change her mind about him.  Too bad it's not Floki instead of Rollo.  I mean, Floki?  She wouldn't look twice, but shirtless Rollo?  

"Um, on second thought...."

Let's be honest the French have a huge advantage with the garrison or fort or whatever you want to call.  Odo strikes me as a middle management political appointee type (he wasn't getting his hands dirty).  In comparison Rollo is very alpha male.

Princess likes a true believer.  Not that many on here don't understand.

Edited by SingleMaltBlonde

It probably is Rollo since how better to meet your future wife then having her almost behead you during your first "date" as it were.  :-)

But really the raised axe and pause stuff always means there is a "Wait!" coming at the last second.

But yeah the hair looks lighter but it is pulled forward.  Maybe Rollo was secretly dying his outer hair brown cause brown

was the blonde of the day, heh.

Maybe it's the giant guy who came with Kalf.

But yeah the hair looks lighter but it is pulled forward.  Maybe Rollo was secretly dying his outer hair brown cause brown was the blonde of the day, heh.

The Vikings launch an all-out second assault on Paris, and Emperor Charles is forced to make a desperate move. In Wessex, Judith is faced with her own pivotal decision.

That's ported over from the official description for Episode 9.  Is Emperor Chucky's desperate move getting his daughter married to a bear? 

And one I should add that is already officially baptized.  I wonder if Hirst had planned all along to have that rather weird Northumbrian baptism as a set-up to lead to this all along.

Emperor Chucky to his daughter while channeling a 9th century Christian version of a stereotype sitcom Jewish mother.  "So maybe he was out killing and pillaging a bit in his youth but hey he will make a good provider.  So why not marry a nice Christian boy like him already."   

Edited by green
  • Love 2

Lets put it this way - so far I have seen nothing in Emperor Chucky that makes me believe he wouldn't sacrifice his own child to a "barbarian" to save his own hide. But what would princess Gisla think of it?

And yes, conveniently Rollo is already a nominal Christian. Which wouldn't surprise me at all if it was all planned by Hirst way ahead.

• Love 1

Lets put it this way - so far I have seen nothing in Emperor Chucky that makes me believe he wouldn't sacrifice his own child to a "barbarian" to save his own hide. But what would princess Gisla think of it?

And yes, conveniently Rollo is already a nominal Christian. Which wouldn't surprise me at all if it was all planned by Hirst way ahead.

Yeah I think Gisla was already thinking along those lines since her first spotting him from her perch on the battlements during the last battle. 

Hirst said next season would introduce a new "sympathetic" Christian character to kind of replace Athelstan.  Wonder if this missionary kid is that character.  We only see Aslaug ordering him to be killed but haven't seen him actually killed as yet.

Also someone mentioned Paris was attacked twice.  First by Ragnar then was it Bjorn or Rollo ... the real Rollo historically speaking.  Anyway the compressed time line and Ragnar being too wounded to lead the final assault next week may function as showing the two attacks separated historically by years happening days apart.

We hear in the previews Bjorn saying he was just doing as instructed (I assume by Ragnar).  So this way Ragnar doesn't get to take the city personally getting history right yet still gets to take it through a surrogate or two (dramatic license, good TV version).

Well all this is speculation but this is the speculation thread and I think it would be pretty clever of Hirst if he did do the two historical attacks in this format.  But if not I'm sure it will be clever in another way.  Dude knows how to make historical fiction here.

Edited by green
  • Love 1

So historical Ecbert - very influential king of Britain, ruled and lived a long time (going by the live expectancy back then 70 was ancient). After him his son Ethelwulf ruled, and after him the grandson Alfred the Great.  One important thing that Ecbert started was that only male issue could inherit land, not females - thanks a lot, Ecbert. This ensured that land stayed in the family. Maybe this is the "entail" they are always going on about on DOWNTON ABBEY.

Also, things don't look good for Queen Crazypants if "our" Ecbert also conquers Mercia.

So historical Ecbert - very influential king of Britain, ruled and lived a long time (going by the live expectancy back then 70 was ancient). After him his son Ethelwulf ruled, and after him the grandson Alfred the Great.  One important thing that Ecbert started was that only male issue could inherit land, not females - thanks a lot, Ecbert. This ensured that land stayed in the family. Maybe this is the "entail" they are always going on about on DOWNTON ABBEY.

Also, things don't look good for Queen Crazypants if "our" Ecbert also conquers Mercia.

That was done so family lands could not be lost through marriage.

I love all the theories here.  You guys are all so smart !

Note in the previews the words "WHO WILL RISE?" flash across the screen.    Makes me wonder if "Rise" is literally or figuratively?  I like to think it's both; and it HAS to be Ragnar; somehow doing the "Trojan Coffin" thing.   He will literally rise from the coffin and figuratively rise to power (over Paris)

I didn't even know nor care about Viking history (but you guys are all teaching me!) but NOW:

I consider this the best show on TV right now.   BY FAR.

Edited by jnymph
  • Love 5

Just saw a comment on another site from a Swedish guy who saw Gustaf Skarsgard on a plane from Dublin to Stockholm.  The poster assumed that Floki doesn't die in the season finale, since they are back filming Season 4 in Ireland.  I didn't expect him to die this week, but I know that some of you are hoping for that fate.

Edited by Babalooie
  • Love 3

Photo taken back in Ireland for Season 4.  Yes, I am fangirly.

http://i.imgur.com/vMGwp8k.jpg  From yuku.

Part of me wants him to die for killing Athelstan, but part of me also wants him to live and to be miserable. Just don't kill Helga.  He is absolutely Golem-like, a troll or a crazy leprechaun, but I keep thinking he always pulls through for Ragnar, he's his last friend, the only one who hasn't died and one of my favorite evil characters. The series would be missing a lot if we had no Floki, even if I'm still really mad at him... :)

• Love 4

Since we know the real Floki's fate historically I wasn't expecting him to die.  But glad he hasn't sailed off into the sunset (literally) yet either.  Because there was a chance his voyage could be part of an "exiled" scenario from Ragnar.  But we need Floki's "voice" (pov) around so didn't think it would happen but still nice to know for sure it won't.  So thanks for the detective work.

Also it's interesting since Season 1, Episode 1 Floki has had a very close relationship with Bjorn.  So I could see Bjorn sticking up for Floki.

Speaking of Bjorn, there was a added preview shown on the History Channel when I surfed through it between innings during the ball game night before last.  Timing for once was perfect. 

It was an extended clip from the upcoming episode that showed a convo between Ragnar and Bjorn.  Bjorn is seated on some chair that seems set higher than where Ragnar is standing like a foreshadowing of his rise to power in the future.  Ragnar is still coughing and partly bent over and Bjorn is asking him how he is.  Ragnar says he will live ... for now.  Then he adds that he wants Bjorn to look after "our people" when it is Bjorn's turn.  But he needs Bjorn to do one favor for him first.  Bjorn has to promise him to rule with his head and not his heart and can he do that.  Bjorn thinks about it and replies yes.  End of preview.

Edited by green
  • Love 1

Looking forward to this.  From an article here:   https://readtiger.com/www.zap2it.com/blogs/vikings_michael_hirst_born_again_death_changes_ragnar_forever-2015-03

Then there's Floki. He feels as if he was called by the gods to do what he did. Now that he's going to see what becomes of Ragnar because of it, is he going to question that decision or have any regrets? The answer is, "yes." He's divided about it, but his divisions are very deep and they don't come out immediately. If you watch this season, you'll see exactly how he feels about it and it's very emotional. You really get the full impact of that in the final episode.

Well, they have one more episode to show me.  Let's hope the team and the actor are up to it.  So far the jury says, "No."

ETA:  I have no investment in this show other than I really, really enjoy it and want it to Win All the Emmys.  So, if they manage to convince me that Floki is anything other than a black and white villain channeling the wrong LotR character, let them take a stab.  I will be the first to applaud!

EETA:  I have nothing but love for the actor, btw.  I just don't like his choices for this particular role and he's really hogtied because he's being given such a bad (as in "not well-written or realized") character from the writers.  He's doing what he can with what he's been given.  All of that is my opinion and, also my opinion, I have protested quite enough.

E3TA:  That's a FABULOUS picture!!  

Edited by Captanne

Now that there's a trailer...

Floki's arrest is probably in the first episode. I don't think he'll die, but he'll suffer enough that Ragnar will then let him rejoin his crew.

Could Aslaug betray Ragnar now that she's gotten used to ruling? The seer's words about a woman ruling Kattegat might inspire her to make a move, but it's Lagertha who will end up getting Kattegat (or baby Siggy, if the show wants to trick us and foreshadow stuff that might happen in season 5 or 6).

Lagertha looked great in her fancy dress. I think it had blood on it, perhaps she's performed a sacrifice to celebrate killing Kalf or taking charge in Kattegat. It also looks like she castrates Einar, the man who killed her husband and sided with Kalf.

Rollo betrays Ragnar yet again. I guess it was inevitable, but this is the storyline I'm least excited about, since the actress who plays Gisla was horrible and Rollo vs. Ragnar has gotten so old.

• Love 1
Rollo betrays Ragnar yet again. I guess it was inevitable, but this is the storyline I'm least excited about, since the actress who plays Gisla was horrible and Rollo vs. Ragnar has gotten so old.

Rollo and Gisla look miserable at their wedding.  I'm looking forward to seeing how (if?) they build trust.

Was Ecbert in the trailer?

(edited)

There's a trailer !?!?!? 

Off to Google.................

eta:

Now that I've watched it. 

Wow, it looked incredible (as usual) !    Look's like Floki's in for a world of hurt and I love it.   Also, seems Aslaug is jonesying to rule Kattegat and Ragnar is none too happy about it.   The grizzly bear encounter has to happen in North America (indigenous).   Will Vikings have run-ins with Native Americans in Season 4 ?    I did see Ecbert in the trailer and more importantly ... (IMO) I saw:

ATHELSTAN!

I can't wait *** happy dance**** !!!

Edited by jnymph

Very good looking trailer.  I'm wondering about the sequence of events because it looks like it's Bjorn calling for justice against Floki for Athelstan's murder.    And it looks like he is addressing Kattegat as a leader.    You can also see him with his brothers on a ship rubbing the tops of their heads in a paternal fashion.   I've heard it speculated that Season 4 might be where Ragnar gets on the wrong side of King Aiella and I'm not starting to lean towards that school of thought.

As for the image of Athelstan, I guess that'll be a vision, at first I thought maybe it's King Echbert but as much as he cared about Athelstan I don't know if he has the sentimentality to imagine someone, I'm thinking it's Ragnar again.    And that was his voice in the trailer which is cool.

• Love 2
(edited)

As for the image of Athelstan, I guess that'll be a vision, at first I thought maybe it's King Echbert but as much as he cared about Athelstan I don't know if he has the sentimentality to imagine someone, I'm thinking it's Ragnar again.    And that was his voice in the trailer which is cool.

Awww I loved hearing his voice again.   And I agree, it's got to be Ragnar that is hearing and envisioning Athelstan.   

Yay! I hope he makes multiple appearances!

Edited by jnymph
  • Love 1
(edited)

Thought it was cool they had Athelstan's voice citing very appropritae Bible verses over vikings busy being vikings.  Nice touch.  Glad Athelstan's presence remains not to be forgotten.

Now that Rollo is finally getting his Normandy lands guess he is officially on Team Franks unless and until he fudges things again maybe.  The Frankish king still looks like a simpleton and his daughter is shown with a knife hovering over Rollo sleeping in bed.  Sorry, princess, but Rollo has got him some other stuff to do and you aren't stopping him cause no one wants to re-do history books that do not feature Normandy, Hastings (down the line) and all that.

Oh Floki, I see that long voyage to Iceland in your future sooner than later.  No more with Ragnar will you be.  Was that Floki or someone else trussed up and screaming in the cave?  (BTW who was the woman with the blood coming from her mouth?  Was that Helga or not?).

I assume the pep ralley by Bjorn was to keep everyone loyal to Ragnar as he recovers from his wounds.  But while he's recovering Bjorn will get a taste more of leadership.  And speaking of leading, Lagertha seems in fine fettle dealing with anyone doing her dirty.  Guess she never heard about not hitting ... errr, cutting ... below the belt though, heh.

"Seer seer on the wall, who's the female to rule them all?"

In other news, Ecbert is not looking forward to Ragnar's return for some strange reason (cough) settlement massacre (cough).

I want to see it all now.  The History Channel is pathetic in presenting this strung out soooo slowley.  I want my Vikings and I want them now!

Edited by green
  • Love 3

Yes, Green, that is Floki in the cave.    Here is a similar depiction from an ancient poem of a bound Loki under a grove of hot springs.

220px-Loki%2C_by_M%C3%A5rten_Eskil_Winge

I was finally able to freeze frame the bloody woman in battle.  It is an anonymous shield maiden.

• Love 2
(edited)

Yes, Green, that is Floki in the cave.    Here is a similar depiction from an ancient poem of a bound Loki under a grove of hot springs.

220px-Loki%2C_by_M%C3%A5rten_Eskil_Winge

I was finally able to freeze frame the bloody woman in battle.  It is an anonymous shield maiden.

Great find, Baba

The woman in the pic looks like our Helga too.  :)  Although at this point I don't think she wouldn't be untying him.

Edited by jnymph