Type keyword(s) to search

Season 4 Episodes Talk

• Start Topic

(edited)

i just finished up with S4, and what a bang (literally) to end the season!!!

Of course, Hotch will be all right, and I knew that The Reaper comes back, but I didn't know when.

My least favorite episode was 'Demonology'.  It was boring, IMO.  With the exception of the ending of '...and Back', I found the 2-parter hard to watch.  I know of the case that it's based on (though I think there's only one serial killer at the real Pig Farm), but it really bothered me in similar ways that it bothered Morgan.  And I really felt for the brother of that girl (Hightower),

My favorite has to be 'Zoe's Reprise', because it takes place in Cleveland and they give several mentions to my "favorite" serial killer:  The Mad Butcher of Kingsbury Run/The Torso Killer (known because he always chopped their heads off and sometimes they were never found).  'Road Kill' comes very very close, though.  Unique story, nice twists, and I really felt for Gil.  And that child who killed his younger brother for "breaking his stuff"  was so creepy and good.  (though I figured he was the unsub right away).  'Amplification' - about the anthrax attack, though it seems like there were a few missing holes in the story - it was still a great one, with nice use of the team and of course, Reid H/C.  (Though I'd like some Rossi H/C.  I hope there is an episode for him.)

But really, there were so many many good episodes in this Season.   

Music on this show is phenomenal.  It's amazing how the music editors set the right mood or climax or aftermath scenes.  It can be done so messy, but I don't know if I've ever seen such music knowledge and editing in any show that's as high as this level.  Maybe House.

Of course the acting by all parties is out of this world.  I still find Hotch too wooden, but cracks have been shown - like in 'Pleasure is My Business'.  Rossi has settled in very nicely, after a few bumpy episodes where he comes off cold & pricky.  Paget is amazing as Prentiss the field agent.  Much better than as a Unit Chief - though I understand her character had to make some changes so she can effectively lead.  MGG is - all always - an actor with such range and depth.  Garcia & Kevin are cute.  JJ's bland, but I have always found her so.  The one drawback is Jordan.  The actress never really gets connected to the team and, honestly, I find her acting terrible.  Even the last one where she expressed her desire to go back to internet (?) crimes, and lamenting that she couldn't work in the BAU permanently.  Her speech to Rossi was so forced.  I love playing the "I've seen him/her before" game!  Most of them were on Castle, it seems.  I can't think of one bad guest actor.  Jake Cherry in 'The Big Wheel' comes as close to perfection as you're gonna get, IMHO.

I can't wait to jump into S5.  Probably watch the firsts one tonight.  

I need a life!  LOL

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 1

S4 is my my second favourite season right after S1 (or sometimes right there with S1). My favourite episodes are Minimal Loss, The instincts, Memorium, 52 pick up, Conflicted and Amplification. This season has Reid at his best. He has shown to be matured nicely as a man and field agent. Same thoughts on JJ and Jordan. It goes a bit downhill from season 5 onwards. I have also binge watched  this series in past few months so I can understand the addiction ;)

27 minutes ago, roamyn said:

My favorite has to be 'Zoe's Reprise'

Your favourite is the one I'll never watch again. It's not that the episode was bad, it's just that Zoe was so likeable- full credit to Amy Davidson here- that I fell in love with her and felt the show was absolutely wrong to kill her. Zoe's pretty much the reason why I wrote CM fanfiction in the first place- and ultimately became a writer- because CM wasted such a great talent.

12 minutes ago, Danielg342 said:

Your favourite is the one I'll never watch again. It's not that the episode was bad, it's just that Zoe was so likeable- full credit to Amy Davidson here- that I fell in love with her and felt the show was absolutely wrong to kill her. Zoe's pretty much the reason why I wrote CM fanfiction in the first place- and ultimately became a writer- because CM wasted such a great talent.

I agree that she was so likeable, but that's why CM has hooked me.  Sometimes the case ends badly, or you feel sorry for the unsub (Johnny in 'True Night', Bryan in 'Tabla R...'. It shows things that happen in RL.

• Love 1

I think there are times when the tragedy works- because the character doesn't have much left to tell- and then there are cases like Zoe where it just feels like a waste. There was so much potential with Zoe that killing her just doesn't feel right. I pictured her as the "female Reid", only more sociable.

Season 4, my second favourite after season 2. 

Favourite episodes in the season? In no particular order : Omnivore, The Instincts, Memoriam, Minimal Loss, Conflicted, Amplification, The Big Wheel, and the final scene of the season (Hotch voice speaking while we see images of the team, I can listen to that scene over and over again)

Just yesterday there was a re-run of Omnivore, I switched on the TV and there it was, just at the bus scene... one of the best Rossi/Hotch scenes, if not the best. Of course,  I had to see the rest of the episode. I absolutely had to.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, senin said:

Season 4, my second favourite after season 2. 

Favourite episodes in the season? In no particular order : Omnivore, The Instincts, Memoriam, Minimal Loss, Conflicted, Amplification, The Big Wheel, and the final scene of the season (Hotch voice speaking while we see images of the team, I can listen to that scene over and over again)

Just yesterday there was a re-run of Omnivore, I switched on the TV and there it was, just at the bus scene... one of the best Rossi/Hotch scenes, if not the best. Of course,  I had to see the rest of the episode. I absolutely had to.

Just curious... you don't like 52 pick up?? I mainly like it for the Reid Morgan club scene and for once a woman finds Reid attractive.

(edited)

I like it, for that scene, and for a couple more: Prentiss and Todd acting sexy in the club , and the moment in which Hotch confronts Todd because she has lied to the family of one of the victims (I like angry Hotch almost as much as I like angry Reid).

But I was afraid that my list of favourites was getting too long!!

Edited by senin
On 5/20/2017 at 11:01 AM, ReidGirl said:

Just curious... you don't like 52 pick up?? I mainly like it for the Reid Morgan club scene and for once a woman finds Reid attractive.

I thought that bar tender was a good possible g/friend for Reid.  But it appears she was never mentioned again.

3 hours ago, roamyn said:

I thought that bar tender was a good possible g/friend for Reid.  But it appears she was never mentioned again.

Austin was a character they could have developed more. She definitely had the crime-fighting instincts and the smarts to pull it off, so she could have easily had an expanded role. Plus the actress was great. I could be wrong, but I think Austin even mentioned she wanted to study criminology, so she could even join the BAU (or just the FBI) at some point.

• Love 1

In 52 pickup, the Viper is just hilarious! I love that actor so much in that role! Plus Morgan telling Reid he's got "game" and Prentiss and Todd revealing the Viper's "Queen Bee." Good writing.

• Love 1

where did that one take place? I'm trying to sort through a million different CM pieces in my mind; I can place bits and pieces of this episode (Reid puts his business card in her hair, does he not?) but it's just not coming together for me.

I really like the actress who plays the missing boy's mother in The Instincts. Speaking of sympathetic UNSUBs, the UNSUB in that episode makes my heart sad. As does the unsub in Normal who basically lost it after he watched his youngest die. I recall the first time I watched Normal and found out the wife and kids have been dead all along. 

I don't mind Demonology but that's because Prentiss is my favourite and we get some backstory on her and Paget is amazing sauce. But case-wise it makes no effing sense. 

• Love 1
On 19. svibnja 2017. at 11:38 PM, Danielg342 said:

Well, it could have been worse. They could have made her the unsub.

• Love 1
On 2017-5-27 at 4:03 PM, Mislav said:

Well, it could have been worse. They could have made her the unsub.

True, although it would have given the character a bit more to do than just be used to give Rossi manpain.

Actually, Zoe taught Rossi he wasn't all that, that real people fall victim to these killers he brought to the forefront of the world's attention. She was smart enough to make the connections among the dead bodies, and she taught Rossi that his pride was overinflated, and he should respect people like her when they try to tell him something. Man pain is dismissive of what a man may feel when he, being basically decent, finds out he dismissed something or someone to their detriment. if Rossi felt pain because of Zoe's death, that's good, he learns from that. Zoe left a legacy.

• Love 1

I'm not denying that she left a mark and that she managed to make the most of her very limited screentime.

It still does not change the fact she was there simply as a walking plot device when she should have been a longer-term, fuller character.

She wasn't a device, she WAS the plot. "Zoe's Reprise" means that she came back (returned, repeated) and affected events even after she was murdered.  That's heavy.

Daniel, I know you've always wanted her to end up as an agent with the BAU, and I agree, she was an interesting character, well drawn, and the actress did a really great job. But this was the case that made Dave question himself. After Zoe, he wasn't the same, he was humbler. He carries her with him now, so, she's still very important. She was his defining moment. I do wish perhaps he would mention her in some kind of lecture setting, but I haven't liked either Profiling 101 or 201, or whatever it was called. Perhaps in S13, the writers could focus on each of the veteran profilers of the team, Rossi, Reid, Prentiss, and JJ, and have the episode be all about the case that taught them the most. Zoe would definitely be Rossi's.

• Love 1

That's her only function, though- to provide a character-building moment for Rossi. She's "the Lost Lenore", a similar character to Patrick Jane's wife and kids, who were only there to spur Jane to join the CBI.

I'm not against that trope in principle, but the character was too good for her to be only used in this way. I would agree it would be nice if Rossi mentioned her every now and then, perhaps even forming a friendship with her mother, Sheila. I also still hold out hope Zoe has a twin who will work to avenge her sister's death.

I disagree that that was her only function. She also showed that she was smarter than one of the best profilers in the world because she was focusing on finding a pattern. She demonstrated that, because she learned from him and used her brain, she saw that pattern. She even told him about it, and he dismissed her, partly because he saw her as a kid (and partly because he was looking forward to boffing the lady who arranged the lecture). 

I do wish she had had a slightly older or younger sister, away at college, who took up where she left off. Played by the same actress.

On 5/29/2017 at 4:20 PM, normasm said:

I disagree that that was her only function. She also showed that she was smarter than one of the best profilers in the world because she was focusing on finding a pattern. She demonstrated that, because she learned from him and used her brain, she saw that pattern. She even told him about it, and he dismissed her, partly because he saw her as a kid (and partly because he was looking forward to boffing the lady who arranged the lecture). 

I do wish she had had a slightly older or younger sister, away at college, who took up where she left off. Played by the same actress.

She didn't see the pattern, either, except that murder rates were up.  It was Morgan that first saw the pattern.  She believed there was a serial killer, yes, but she didn't make any connections and that's what she was trying to find - or have Dave help her with.  (I would like to know why she focused on those three cases to believe that.  Four extra murders - and being the Son of Sam double - does not increase murder in a mid sized city like Cleveland.)

46 minutes ago, roamyn said:

She didn't see the pattern, either, except that murder rates were up.  It was Morgan that first saw the pattern.  She believed there was a serial killer, yes, but she didn't make any connections and that's what she was trying to find - or have Dave help her with.  (I would like to know why she focused on those three cases to believe that.  Four extra murders - and being the Son of Sam double - does not increase murder in a mid sized city like Cleveland.)

There were more than a few writing faux pas in the episode.

For example, when she met Eric Olsen, she merely commented that there seemed to be more murders than usual. Olsen had no idea that she was on to him, so he pretty mich had no reason to kill her.

I also think that a woman carrying mace wouldn't be "disarmed" by a charming guy who says "hello"- he'd have to do more.

Thinking about it, Olsen could have helped her out and misdirected her, maybe leading her to the wrong person. She might even believe Olsen until the BAU corrects her, maybe even saving her at the last minute.

Was just watching that one, too. And yes, that scene with his message for his mom is so incredibly sweet and touching. I also like his attempt at light-hearted talk when he's on the phone to Garcia: "'Reid', wow. No witty Garcia greeting for me?" The friendship between those two tends to be rather underrated a lot of the time. 

Morgan being all freaked out over Reid's safety is good, too, as is him sitting by his bedside in the hospital later. And there's the awesomeness that is Dr. Kimura, Emily's struggle about warning the public (I feel for her with that, I'd be tempted, too!), JJ and Hotch's opposing stances on alerting their families (and I totally sympathize with both sides of that issue)... Lots of good drama and interactions in this episode. 

• Love 1

and one of my favourite lines.... "I'm about to get naked so they can scrub me down. Is that really something you wanna see?" , directed at Morgan but I just know that me, and thousands of others are literally screaming at the tv "YES! Yes, it is!"

Edited by ReidFan
fixing quote
  • Love 3
26 minutes ago, ReidFan said:

and one of my favourite lines.... "I'm about to get naked so they can hose me down. Is that really something you wanna see?" , directed at Morgan but I just know that me, and thousands of others are literally screaming at the tv "YES! Yes, it is!"

I would have been like "HELL YEAH!!"

Edited by Fashionista7
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

Was just watching that one, too. And yes, that scene with his message for his mom is so incredibly sweet and touching. I also like his attempt at light-hearted talk when he's on the phone to Garcia: "'Reid', wow. No witty Garcia greeting for me?" The friendship between those two tends to be rather underrated a lot of the time. 

Morgan being all freaked out over Reid's safety is good, too, as is him sitting by his bedside in the hospital later. And there's the awesomeness that is Dr. Kimura, Emily's struggle about warning the public (I feel for her with that, I'd be tempted, too!), JJ and Hotch's opposing stances on alerting their families (and I totally sympathize with both sides of that issue)... Lots of good drama and interactions in this episode. 

Yup so many reasons to love this episode. This is one of my favourite episode. Agree that Reid and Garcia have a truly beautiful frienship, showcased so well in earlier seasons. And I love love Morgan and Reid frienship/bromance in this one.

1 hour ago, ReidFan said:

and one of my favourite lines.... "I'm about to get naked so they can hose me down. Is that really something you wanna see?" , directed at Morgan but I just know that me, and thousands of others are literally screaming at the tv "YES! Yes, it is!"

I think that all of us Reid fans shouting "YES Please"....

Also in the fanfiction world even Morgan says "yes please" ;)

• Love 1

An absolute favourite of mine!!

For all the reasons said by all of you. The message for his mom puts a lump in my throat every.single .time. I. see.it. 

And something else no one mentioned: the scene at the tube station, where Brown is caught. The interaction between Hotch and Morgan in the car, the way the general manipulates Brown...

A REALLY good episode. I feel like rewatching it this evening !!

• Love 1

s4e4 - Paradise. HITG William Mapother and his wife get trapped in their cabin by Psycho Wil Wheaton.

I have to give real props to the husband here. They sit down to room service breakfast, realize neither of them actually ordered the banana pancakes, which were the exact thing she was saying she wanted and he immediately said "Pack your shit, we're leaving" and followed through on it. 

A+ "I'm not an idiot; I've watches horror movies" skills

• Love 3