Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: The Darkness and the Light

A mysterious assassin begins wiping out all the members of Kira's old resistance cell.

OK, this one, if not exactly a great episode, sure was creepy. Not just the "remorseless stalker" eliminating everyone you know and is coming for you, but the whole bit at the end where a heavily pregnant woman is being threatened with an unaesthetised caesarean, which has got to be about as horrifying a prospect as it's possible to imagine. I did think Kira was a little too gung ho - she's always been portrayed as something of a loose canon, but I don't think at this point that she'd be all, "This is something I have to do for myself!" - she knows that most of the station personnel would risk their lives to protect her. Just as well she's out of practice at covering her tracks, so her friends could come and save her at the end (though nice use of Chekov's Herbs as to how she was able to overcome the sedative).

Interestingly, this was Bryan Fuller's first  Trek writing credit (he would go on to be Co-Producer on Voyager and briefly be Showrunner of Discovery) and I did like the fact that the two people we meet on the station were previously seen on Season 4's Shakaar (so, Yay, Continuity!). Though that does make me wonder - did Silaran intend to assassinate Shakaar too? Going after the First Minister would seem to be wildly ambitious, but maybe he intended to (had he not been blasted).

I thought it was an interesting episode that presented a genuine conundrum on the question of innocence in a time of war. That said, I was really pissed off that Kira would risk the baby's life by going on such a fool's errand. If it had been her baby it would have been a (slightly) different story, but if I were O'Brien and Keiko I'd be hella pissed she nearly got my baby killed out of some need for vengeance. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, iMonrey said:

if I were O'Brien and Keiko I'd be hella pissed she nearly got my baby killed out of some need for vengeance. 

YES! I'm fine with somebody risking their own life to do something stupid, but she was risking somebody else, too (even if the villain intended to spare him, he wasn't going to send him back to the O'Briens).

I have thought that Kira's "You were all guilty just being on Bajor!" was a bit of a step backwards for Kira... but you'd have to imagine she'd be rather less sympathetic to the guy who'd just murdered/assassinated two of her friends and was about to operate on her prior to murdering her, too.

12 hours ago, John Potts said:

YES! I'm fine with somebody risking their own life to do something stupid, but she was risking somebody else, too (even if the villain intended to spare him, he wasn't going to send him back to the O'Briens).

I have thought that Kira's "You were all guilty just being on Bajor!" was a bit of a step backwards for Kira... but you'd have to imagine she'd be rather less sympathetic to the guy who'd just murdered/assassinated two of her friends and was about to operate on her prior to murdering her, too.

Of course, I can't get over the stupid plot that to writing in Nana Visitar's pregnancy they had to write that a pregnant Keiko went into the Gamma Quadrant (While the Dominion was wiping out Federation ships as often as they could). Add in the fact she wanted Bashire and Kira to go into an astroid field that they both didn't want to. She's a few months pregnant, but what the hell right? Then you add in more with Kira going off to do this. I mean that was too much.