Type keyword(s) to search

S24.E10: Week 10: The Finale Part 1

• Start Topic

Kellie and Derek did an amazing Argentine Tango as well as an excellent Fox Trot.  They repeated their Quickstep -- and they did improve their contact....not perfect but much better.  I thought Zendaya also had some exceptional dances.  In fact, I figure (in my mind) they were very, very close throughout the season...and the Free Style was definitely the deciding factor.

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

I'm pretty sure Derek has been accused of dragging every single one of his celebrities across the floor, especially the ones who who've won. Even when they spent half their dances dancing side by side, he was accused of dragging them throughout the competition (see Amber Riley).

The only thing I remember Carrie Ann harping on about Kellie Pickler was that she lacked fluidity in her dancing like Zendaya had because Kellie wasn't a dancer. What Kellie had was flexibility since she'd been a cheerleader and did a lot of yoga. And that was exactly what Derek played to in their freestyle. 

That was the first instance of Val pulling a Maks and choking at the freestyle. He dropped the ball big time with Zendaya's freestyle. I know there was the voting snafu, which raised all kinds of conspiracy theories but honestly, I rooted for Zendaya that year and I firmly believed she and Val, much like Gilles and Cheryl, lost the mirrorball on the freestyle. 

I think Val choked, its not his strong point. I think Derek's freestyles are awesome, I looked forward to them, because I never knew what he would do. He has this uncanny ability to tap in to his partners strengths. I was delighted with Amy Purdy, and what Derek had her accomplish , someone who had her legs amputated, but loved dance. Kudos to him, he has gift like no other pro imnsho. All the hate thrown his way from the brothers, and he just shook it all off. He's what's missing for me in DWTS. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, sinkwriter said:

Unfortunately the freestyle they did just didn't hit that kind of note for me. I felt like their dance fell flat and seemed really safe and boring. In that moment, I felt like she lost. They could surprise me and she could win anyway, but I feel like with that dance, she lost.

TPTB boxed them in with a jazz last week and a QS this week. Another high energy routine wouldn't have worked IMO. And even Bruno would have rolled his eyes at another contemporary.

It's been obvious to me since the team dance that none of the ringers were ever intended to win. And TPTB have pushed a "what the show is about" narration all season.

• Love 2

Surprised I haven't seen anyone else comment on this, but was I the only one who noted Emma just before the sign off looking puzzled and concerned as she looked toward someone else off camera and seemed to mouth the words, "What happened?" or something to that effect.  Purely my speculation of course, but when Tom made cryptic mention of the event in Manchester, England, just before the close of the show (I hadn't heard about it at that point, so I had no idea what he was talking about), it seemed that Emma at least also was ignorant and it is understandable why she might be especially worried to understand what had actually happened.  I have no idea if she is from Manchester, but she certainly does like to remind us that she is English, and it would not be surprising if she at least had family or friends in the area.  How unfortunate for her to find out about the tragedy in such a fashion.  I guess the explosion occurred about 2 and 1/2 hours before the live broadcast of the show began on the east coast?  It is understandable that the performers may have been so focused and busy on their upcoming performances that they might not have been aware of what happened.

31 minutes ago, sd dude said:

Surprised I haven't seen anyone else comment on this, but was I the only one who noted Emma just before the sign off looking puzzled and concerned as she looked toward someone else off camera and seemed to mouth the words, "What happened?" or something to that effect.  Purely my speculation of course, but when Tom made cryptic mention of the event in Manchester, England, just before the close of the show (I hadn't heard about it at that point, so I had no idea what he was talking about), it seemed that Emma at least also was ignorant and it is understandable why she might be especially worried to understand what had actually happened.  I have no idea if she is from Manchester, but she certainly does like to remind us that she is English, and it would not be surprising if she at least had family or friends in the area.  How unfortunate for her to find out about the tragedy in such a fashion.  I guess the explosion occurred about 2 and 1/2 hours before the live broadcast of the show began on the east coast?  It is understandable that the performers may have been so focused and busy on their upcoming performances that they might not have been aware of what happened.

Jessica Radloff said Emma and Rashad had no idea what had happened until Tom said something.

Normani would've excelled more if her Jazz dance last week was their freestyle instead.

But Rashad was going on tour, it was written in the stars already for her to lose.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Uke said:

Hmmm, someone on twitter found this:

Some recognizeable elements from last night right down to the little kids and petals falling from the sky.  You can see Len and Bruno getting in on the dance.  (posted by BBC SCD 9/24/2016)

You can always find recognizable waltz elements if waltz is part of a performance.  Besides the song and the couple seconds of waltz in hold, I don't see the comparison?  Even the kids were used differently because Val and Normani danced with them.  The openings were different because Normani had her contemporary solo part vs the kids waltz in SCD.  The ending was different because all four dancers showed love to one another vs the kids polite dance ending in SCD.  The group routine from SCD was straight waltz from little kids, to young adults, to older adults.  Val and Normani had lifts, not always in hold and contemporary/jazz movements.  So one routine doesn't remind me of the other.

6 hours ago, sinycalone said:

Kellie and Derek did an amazing Argentine Tango as well as an excellent Fox Trot.  They repeated their Quickstep -- and they did improve their contact....not perfect but much better.  I thought Zendaya also had some exceptional dances.  In fact, I figure (in my mind) they were very, very close throughout the season...and the Free Style was definitely the deciding factor.

I remember looking this QS up because I didn't remember it.  I did notice there was still a lot of distance between them.  But the judges thought it was perfect because they got a 30.

Had the partnerships been switched and all else remained the same, Zendaya would've won.  I don't think things would've remained the same.  They would've found a way to keep Zendaya from winning.  I don't remember any Disney star as winning?  Zendaya and Kyle came in 2nd in their respective seasons.  I don't think ABC wants a Disney star to win.

7 hours ago, spanana said:

I was rooting for Zendaya too, but I don't disagree that Kellie would have likely won even if the voting had been working properly.  At the time what I had major issues with was the way the show basically swept the voting snafu under the rug like it was no big deal.  They had Tom announce at the beginning that due to the website crashing early on they were throwing out all online votes that came in before that and then they just sort of laughed it off and went back to the eliminations like it wasn't a huge deal that voting completely crashed for the finale.  I know the show had to go on and they had to have a winner, but I didn't like the way the shady way the show handled it.  

Well it looks like Zendaya still thinks there were issues.

"Zendaya Retweeted Alex #TeamValmani
I know that's right #TeamValMani let's gooooo?????? @NormaniKordei @iamValC

Zendaya added,
Alex #TeamValmani @DopeXMani
Everyone make sure you get your call votes in too just in case they try & pull a Zendaya on us"

(edited)
17 hours ago, spanana said:

I definitely think the show was trying to manipulate a win for Rashad last night.  I am not blind.  I can see that.  They weren't doing that all along so something shifted after Simone's elimination and my guess is its partly because Rashad signed on to tour.  However it's hard for me to get worked up over it since the show manipulates one way or another every season and it may be hypocritical but I'd rather see the manipulation in Emma's direction, someone who has continually been screwed over by the show and didn't even see a 10 paddle until this season, versus yet another manipulated season for Val.

I can't get worked up about manipulations either.  I treat them as a game to try to figure out what they are up to.  They do it every season in one way or the other. 

I'm one of those who think none of the ringers were meant to win.  They had to make sure Normani was one of the ringers left because her fan support wasn't close to Rashad's or David's.  And they liked how she danced.  So she got immunity. Then, they left it up to the fans.  They probably knew Simone had more support than Nancy, Nick or Bonner.  Then TPTB went into overdrive to make sure that Simone didn't make the finals.  I think Simone's support was comparable to Rashad's and David's.  TPTB had to try to lessen her fan support to get her out before the finals.  So they painted a picture that she was "robotic"; didn't feel dance; only understood gymnastics.  They just needed for people to be unsure for a week.  So I don't think something happened after Simone's elimination.  I think something happened to cause them to eliminate Simone early.  It could've been something as mundane as "we haven't had that many male winners lately".  Maybe they knew 2 or 3 weeks ago that Rashad would go on tour?

Edited by crossover
6 hours ago, crossover said:

Maybe they knew 2 or 3 weeks ago that Rashad would go on tour?

I don't think the celebrity going on tour necessarily had to win, just make the finals. Alex Skarlatos went on tour and he didn't win. 

(edited)
1 hour ago, Toonces464 said:

I don't think the celebrity going on tour necessarily had to win, just make the finals. Alex Skarlatos went on tour and he didn't win. 

I don't think winning makes a difference either.  But Spanana and I were guessing about when and why things changed.  Spanana guess was it was partly because Rashad signed on for the tour.   I threw out my guesses but the tour may be a possibility this time.  But for it to fit my guesses they would've had to know 2 or 3 weeks ago.  Just fun stuff.

Edited by crossover
20 minutes ago, crossover said:

I don't think winning makes a difference either.  But Spanana and I were guessing about when and why things changed.  Spanana guess was it was partly because Rashad signed on for the tour.   I threw out my guesses but the tour may be a possibility this time.  But for it to fit my guesses they would've had to know 2 or 3 weeks ago.  Just fun stuff.

I think Rashad was always going to win. I think they just pimped Normani so much because Val is the most popular pro right now (and really the only "star power" they have) so it benefits them to have him go to the end.

• Love 1

My verdict: two out of three weren't bad. Rashad, David & Normani's performances in the Finale had strengths and weaknesses. I thought that Rashad & Emma's redemption dance should have been their Foxtrot from Disney Week, not their Viennese Waltz, but their second VW was better than the first because of what I call "The 3'C's": content, choreography & chemistry, which also applies to their Freestyle. That Rashad helped choreograph the latter impressed me even more. That dance showcased Rashad's skill and his personality,  with stepping. Not even Len's daring to dis "Uptown Funk" nor the band's butchering of it could ruin the Freestyle for me. 

Re David & Linsay, their VW was good, but their Freestyle was great. Like Rashad, David's Freestyle perfectly captured his personality and his heart. David's not the best dancer in the Finals by a long shot, but seeing the joy on his face during his Freestyle made me smile. 

About Normani, while she's the best technical dancer of the three, both her routines left me cold. The Quickstep was smoke and mirrors and the catsuit was tacky, not sexy. Normani's freestyle was two things Rashad & David's wasn't: bo-ring. Normani & Val did much better and much more exciting routines than that. There are mediocre female dancers who have made it to/near the Finale, like Kirstie Alley, Sadie Robertson & Bristol Palin, among others. Normani should have made her Jazz routine from the previous episode her freestyle instead. 

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

I think Rashad was always going to win. I think they just pimped Normani so much because Val is the most popular pro right now (and really the only "star power" they have) so it benefits them to have him go to the end.

You beat me on this one.  I didn't start thinking about a male winner until about week 5 or 6.  I was holding out for a "ringer show down".

• Love 1
2 hours ago, DollEyes said:

My verdict: two out of three weren't bad. Rashad, David & Normani's performances in the Finale had strengths and weaknesses. I thought that Rashad & Emma's redemption dance should have been their Foxtrot from Disney Week, not their Viennese Waltz, but their second VW was better than the first because of what I call "The 3'C's": content, choreography & chemistry, which also applies to their Freestyle. That Rashad helped choreograph the latter impressed me even more. That dance showcased Rashad's skill and his personality,  with stepping. Not even Len's daring to dis "Uptown Funk" nor the band's butchering of it could ruin the Freestyle for me. 

Re David & Linsay, their VW was good, but their Freestyle was great. Like Rashad, David's Freestyle perfectly captured his personality and his heart. David's not the best dancer in the Finals by a long shot, but seeing the joy on his face during his Freestyle made me smile. 

About Normani, while she's the best technical dancer of the three, both her routines left me cold. The Quickstep was smoke and mirrors and the catsuit was tacky, not sexy. Normani's freestyle was two things Rashad & David's wasn't: bo-ring. Normani & Val did much better and much more exciting routines than that. There are mediocre female dancers who have made it to/near the Finale, like Kirstie Alley, Sadie Robertson & Bristol Palin, among others. Normani should have made her Jazz routine from the previous episode her freestyle instead. 

Too many high kicks. Dance high kick,dance high kick. Val can't rely on the judges propping him up, I don't like him, he's smug, so he makes me not like his partners{ shrug}

• Love 1
14 hours ago, crossover said:

You can always find recognizable waltz elements if waltz is part of a performance.  Besides the song and the couple seconds of waltz in hold, I don't see the comparison?  Even the kids were used differently because Val and Normani danced with them.  The openings were different because Normani had her contemporary solo part vs the kids waltz in SCD.  The ending was different because all four dancers showed love to one another vs the kids polite dance ending in SCD.  The group routine from SCD was straight waltz from little kids, to young adults, to older adults.  Val and Normani had lifts, not always in hold and contemporary/jazz movements.  So one routine doesn't remind me of the other.

LOL Ooookayyyyy.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, crossover said:

Well it looks like Zendaya still thinks there were issues.

"Zendaya Retweeted Alex #TeamValmani
I know that's right #TeamValMani let's gooooo?????? @NormaniKordei @iamValC

Zendaya added,
Alex #TeamValmani @DopeXMani
Everyone make sure you get your call votes in too just in case they try & pull a Zendaya on us"

What a whining brat she still is.  Get over it, you lost!

I could not stand her during her season and still can't stand her.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, smiley13 said:

I thought the show did warn against voting via ABC online/official DWTS twitter that season during the finals?  If so, I don't call that whining.  She just retweeted in support of Val.  I am sure she'll always remember that time of her life.

On 2017-5-24 at 4:27 PM, smiley13 said:

I know many people liked her, I thought she was to full of herself, She lost, and look how she hangs on to that loss! 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, F. M. said:

I know many people liked her, I thought she was to full of herself, She lost, and look how she hangs on to that loss! 

Really don't understand this statement?  She's hanging on to a major part of her life.  She shouldn't rewrite history to make it look better.

2 hours ago, crossover said:

Really don't understand this statement?  She's hanging on to a major part of her life.  She shouldn't rewrite history to make it look better.

Omg, a major part of her life? She's getting paid millions for various projects, she's a bitter Betty, because someone better than her won. You don't have to understand it, she wasn't as good as the winner.:)

• Love 1
2 hours ago, F. M. said:

Omg, a major part of her life? She's getting paid millions for various projects, she's a bitter Betty, because someone better than her won. You don't have to understand it, she wasn't as good as the winner.:)

As always, dance is subjective.  And I don't see someone remembering a personal activity accurately as being bitter.  She supports DWTS.  She remembers her time on the show just like everyone else does who was a participant.  Just because you want to remember it differently than what occurred doesn't mean she has to do the same.

It's a lot of things people don't need to understand.  They can just relate things better if they do understand.  She's early 20s so I think the 3 months or so on DWTS was a major part of her life.  It has nothing to do with $s.

6 hours ago, crossover said:

If DWTS is a major part of her life then I think she has some changes to make.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

If DWTS is a major part of her life then I think she has some changes to make.

Because of the positive impacts of the show, she is moving forward in her career which, no doubt, was the purpose of being on the show.

5 hours ago, F. M. said:

LOL, if this show is, she sure does!

Well she is in the entertainment business.  So, I don't think the show is a laughing matter.  After this show, her name recognition surely improved.  And the business ventures did as well.  

(edited)
1 hour ago, crossover said:

Because of the positive impacts of the show, she is moving forward in her career which, no doubt, was the purpose of being on the show.

Well she is in the entertainment business.  So, I don't think the show is a laughing matter.  After this show, her name recognition surely improved.  And the business ventures did as well.  

Well good for her, I don't like her, but if others do, so what? I'm not going to change my mind about a little snit of a girl, that's moaning because Val came in third in a tacky trophy contest. I'm moving on.

Edited by F. M.
On 5/24/2017 at 9:32 PM, crossover said:

I thought the show did warn against voting via ABC online/official DWTS twitter that season during the finals?  If so, I don't call that whining.  She just retweeted in support of Val.  I am sure she'll always remember that time of her life.

I don't think the show warned against voting online.  It was just announced after the final voting was over that the online votes did not count.   That's why I read comments online from forums that they put an asterisk next to Kellie's name as the winner.  To me, the Zendaya and Normani situation are similar.  During the season, I was rooting for them.  However, I did not like their freestyles.  IMHO,  Kellie's freestyle won her the mirrorball.  I don't know if the online votes would have mattered although I do think that Zendaya's fans are younger so they could have.  Normani's freestyle was beautiful but a little underwhelming.  I like some of her other dances more.   Also, wihle I do think that overall, Normani was a better technician and performer, Rashad and Emma had a lot of chemistry on the dance floor.

I see Zendaya is still rooting for Val to win.  I don't see anything wrong with that.

1 hour ago, realdancemom said:

I see Zendaya is still rooting for Val to win.  I don't see anything wrong with that.

Unless they have a bad relationship (like Maks and Hope or Cheryl and Ian), I think most celebs who have been on the show continue rooting for their pros to win.

I doubt Zendaya (one of the few people on this show who is actually a bona fide star) spends much of her time worrying about losing to d-list Kellie Pickler LOL. If she does, I guess she does have some major issues going on.

On 6/2/2017 at 1:24 PM, realdancemom said:

I don't think the show warned against voting online.  It was just announced after the final voting was over that the online votes did not count.   That's why I read comments online from forums that they put an asterisk next to Kellie's name as the winner. 

Thanks.  To know that your efforts didn't count had to have been disappointing at the least.  No wonder people still talk about it from time to time.

(edited)
On 5/31/2017 at 1:45 PM, F. M. said:

LOL, if this show is, she sure does!

On 6/2/2017 at 1:23 PM, boyznkatz said:

I doubt Zendaya (one of the few people on this show who is actually a bona fide star) spends much of her time worrying about losing to d-list Kellie Pickler LOL. If she does, I guess she does have some major issues going on.

Zendaya was stunning at the premiere of Spiderman last night. She is getting great reviews  for her part  in the movie,she is on the cover of  Vogue and has a role in another major movie due out at Christmas.

In supporting her friends on DWTS , she made a statement about her experience on the show.

I don't think her feelings about DWTS occupy her thoughts very often.

What has Pickler been up to lately?

Edited by gohawks
1 hour ago, gohawks said:

Zendaya was stunning at the premiere of Spiderman last night. She is getting great reviews  for her part  in the movie,she is on the cover of  Vogue and has a role in another major movie due out at Christmas.

In supporting her friends on DWTS , she made a statement about her experience on the show.

I don't think her feelings about DWTS occupy her thoughts very often.

LOL, Zendaya ( still) yawning 

2 hours ago, gohawks said:

Kellie appears to be keeping herself busy. 

She has reality show on CMT, she's  touring and also has a syndicated talk show produced by Faith Hill that's debuting in the fall. 

• Love 2