Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: Eat a Knievel

Liv shares the brain of a former daredevil with her new boyfriend, and the experience brings them closer. Blaine is back to his old ways. Meanwhile, Ravi makes progress in his new research. Finally, a discovery is made that could put Major in grave danger.

Promo:

So, another interesting development on the Blaine status: did he really just get himself scratched again and turned back into a zombie? I honestly would have thought that he'd be immune.

I'm glad Don E is still alive....well, undead. It sucks for Vivian and her other associates though. Damn; I was really looking forward to more female zombies on this show.

I guess Liv/Justin is actually a thing and we're supposed to forget about Major/Liv starting to rekindle something earlier this season. 

It was nice to see Liv in the actress' natural hair colour for the end scene. 

Ok, next week looks like a lot of fun. 

• Love 2

I liked the picnic scene with the lawn darts, but the rest of the Jackass stuff was kind of dull. 

I really got the warm family feel of the Filmore Graves wake, so Chase is really going to be quite a downer, isn't he?

I wish Blaine had dumped more cement on top of his Dad, leaving him alive just doesn't seem socially responsible. What if Timmy falls down that well?

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Lady Calypso said:

I guess Liv/Justin is actually a thing and we're supposed to forget about Major/Liv starting to rekindle something earlier this season. 

I see that Liv would feel she would have to move on and major as well. They have no idea about rezombing, if in fact that is what has happened. 

I also would like to see more female characters in the group. 

Not a big fan of this episode, because I found the case of the week to be a bust.  Obviously, I get they were making fun of the extreme stunt/Jackass-type of people, but it just made me hate pretty much everyone involved with it, and Liv herself was obnoxious on that guy's brains.  Even Clive's reactions didn't get the laughs they normally did.  Eh, I guess they all can't be winners.

At least they made me interested in Blaine again.  Love him getting his kingpin back on, and taking out Angus.  Of course, I worry that him not finishing him off and just dropping him in a well could come back to haunt him (if nothing else, Robert Knepper characters tend to have nine lives.)  And him building on what Angus started could be dangerous.  Loved how quickly Don E. fell in line, because he may be a tool, but that punk knows how to survive!

Didn't not see Vivian and the head solider guy getting blown up (unless it was all an elaborate set-up.)  That was Veronica Mars' alumni Jason Dohring as Chase, the new guy in charge, right?  Have a feeling he won't be as forgiving as Vivian if he finds out that Major is human again.  As usual, poor Major.

Liv and Justin's Max Rager on Extreme Brains date was surprisingly nicer then expected.

Ravi/Rahul Kohli's "American accent" is the greatest sound I ever heard!

Hey, we get to see actual Rose McIver again for a second, instead of pale zombie Rose McIver!

Now, next week on the other hand, looks like it could be a blast.

• Love 3
(edited)

Jason Dohring is just way too baby face-looking. I like him as an actor, but he seems woefully miscast here.

By the way, I find it EXTREMELY hard to believe that they always planned on killing off VIvian. It really doesn't make any sense. I suspect that Andrea Savage's availability might have become an issue. That totally read like a, "Oh shit, we need to get rid of this person ASAP and go a different direction," a la Lindsay Crouse from Buffy Season 4 (and you know that TV show Suits is going to have to deal with the same thing soon with the future Princess in their cast). 

Edited by Brian Cronin
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Not a big fan of this episode, because I found the case of the week to be a bust.  Obviously, I get they were making fun of the extreme stunt/Jackass-type of people, but it just made me hate pretty much everyone involved with it, and Liv herself was obnoxious on that guy's brains.  Even Clive's reactions didn't get the laughs they normally did.  Eh, I guess they all can't be winners.

Yeah I found it meh. I wasn't sure what the point of the episode was. For a brief second I thought Major killed Vivian for finding out about the cure. Then I remembered what show I was watching.

Oh, Blaine, did you learn nothing from the last time you decided to torture your dad by leaving him somewhere instead of actually killing him? No good will come of this for you! I mean, I get the need to make Angus suffer because he was a horrible father, husband, and person, but just take a few days to torture him thoroughly and then kill him! Has he never seen any movies before?

I know Blaine is a bad guy (I was one of the people berating Peyton for acting like New Blaine was  different person from Old Blaine), but childhood abuse is terrible so I'm glad he got some revenge on his dad.

I like Justin but it's very difficult for me to believe that Liv and Major went from "if I lose my memory then I'll get to fall in love with you all over again" sex to just being friends who hook each other up with new partners.

Don E. better watch it. The way he's treating Tanner is too similar to the way Angus treated on Don E. It's only been a week or two and Tanner is already resentful so if Don E. doesn't quit subconsciously emulating Angus's behavior, he may have a mutiny or betrayal on his hands.

I love that once a season, the show lets Rose McIver look like herself, even if only for a brief scene. She was just plain stupid to think that she could cheat her way into the zombie hater meeting. That would have to be some major adrenaline to get her heart rate high enough to pass for a human's.

I was convinced that the helicopter explosion was an elaborate hoax but then I remembered that Vivian and FG are not widely known as zombies so who would they be trying to fool? Logan obviously does not share Vivian's "it's okay if Major's not a zombie anymore" attitude so hopefully Major doesn't incur any infractions that Logan thinks deserve gunshot wounds as punishment.

• Love 3

Oh, Jason Dohring, I love you. Not a fan of the uniform/hat thing, tho. Can't wait to see more of him. Literally. Need to lose the hat. And the shirt.

Liv thinking the big hick wouldn't recognize her with a blonde 'wig' on was stupid, tho I'm sure Rose McIver is happy to look like herself on here every so often.

As has been brought up before, Liv's ramped up antics on whatever brain she's eaten that week are becoming more broad and silly and less convincing or amusing. I know they have to keep coming up with ideas so that we can clearly see the dynamics and characteristics of the dead folks, it's just not working very well anymore.

I can't help but kind of love Blaine.

• Love 5
44 minutes ago, luna1122 said:

Oh, Jason Dohring, I love you. Not a fan of the uniform/hat thing, tho. Can't wait to see more of him. Literally. Need to lose the hat. And the shirt.

I wasn't a fan of the hat either. Now that he's in charge, maybe he can institute a new shirtless uniform while they're on the FG grounds. You know, to save the company money on buying/replacing shirts.

• Love 4
(edited)

I'm not buying that Vivian is actually dead. Even if Andrea Savage became unavailable suddenly, I can't imagine the writers choosing to off her in such an anticlimactic way.

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 1
Just now, Blakeston said:

I'm not buying that Vivian is actually dead. Even if she became unavailable suddenly, I can't imagine the writers choosing to off her in such an anticlimactic way.

True. If Liv's new boyfriend (sorry, I'm terrible with names) can get up from a direct car hit and a lot of other people take direct gunshots to the chest, then there's a chance Vivian survived that crash. 

4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I was convinced that the helicopter explosion was an elaborate hoax but then I remembered that Vivian and FG are not widely known as zombies so who would they be trying to fool? 

Interesting, I'd been merrily assuming this was just to throw a spanner into the works and precipitate the Zombi/Human tensions.

But who would they be trying to fool? Chase would be my guess.

What has Chase been doing? He clearly dresses like a military type. Is he a merc who just happened to attend the company picnic, has he picked up the training since then? Has he been planning a takeover with some backing from the army on site and is this a way to get him to play his hand? Or did he arrange for the helicopter to blow up so he can take over (tensions are increasing and he thinks discovery day is going to be sooner rather than later). 

I think there is a good chance she survived and will draw Major into it (he is oddly loyal and obviously attracted enough to what she has made to stay in it even when he doesn't have to and it is dangerous for him). 

I think we'll find out soon, but maybe not until the cliffhanger at the end of the season, since it has been renewed.

I seem to remember that there was some dynamic where people could be on shows for a certain number of episodes and then they had to be paid benefits, it became common to have people do six episodes in the fall and six in the spring, making it seem like their character was around a substantial part of the show. Does that still apply? It might be one reason to fridge Andrea Savage, at least for the rest of this season?

30 minutes ago, Affogato said:

Or did he arrange for the helicopter to blow up so he can take over (tensions are increasing and he thinks discovery day is going to be sooner rather than later).

I would bet money that's exactly what happened.  You could tell that he is pretty militant, and thinks the others in Fillmore-Graves were too soft.

This show is really starting to disturb me.  It is feeling more and more like the beginnings of an apocalyptic pandemic.  I can't see the zombies as anything but bad guys.

I'm so tired of Blaine.  The ping-ponging between good and evil annoys me.

The murder case was too easy.  The perpetrator was too sloppy.  I can't believe he didn't think to destroy the incriminating evidence so that it would look like an accident, as he clearly hoped.   The victim was a pile of shit.  Glad he died.  I hate pranksters who make their trade on causing misery.  And the murderer's girlfriend was a horrid little tramp.

8 minutes ago, Thriftykins said:

This show is really starting to disturb me.  It is feeling more and more like the beginnings of an apocalyptic pandemic.  I can't see the zombies as anything but bad guys.

The Romero movies made zombism a class war thing, and originally this show fell along that line. Only the rich could survive as zombies, by feeding on the brains of the poor and disenfranchised. Bit of the old drug dealer/crime cartel thrown in for spice. Oh, yeah, and the couple of people who can become medical examiners or gravediggers quickly enough to bypass the money aspect, and they try to do good. 

Now we see the Filmore Graves people, families, children. They aren't evil, but they are dependent on human brains. If there is an apocalypse, they die, too. Once the brains run out, the zombies go the way of the dinosaurs (ummmm, zombie dinosaurs).

It does seem like a lot can go wrong for all concerned. 

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

So, another interesting development on the Blaine status: did he really just get himself scratched again and turned back into a zombie? I honestly would have thought that he'd be immune.

I'm glad Don E is still alive....well, undead. It sucks for Vivian and her other associates though. Damn; I was really looking forward to more female zombies on this show.

It was nice to see Liv in the actress' natural hair colour for the end scene. 

Ok, next week looks like a lot of fun. 

Also, her native accent.

Kidding.

19 hours ago, Affogato said:

I liked the picnic scene with the lawn darts, but the rest of the Jackass stuff was kind of dull. 

I really got the warm family feel of the Filmore Graves wake, so Chase is really going to be quite a downer, isn't he?

I wish Blaine had dumped more cement on top of his Dad, leaving him alive just doesn't seem socially responsible. What if Timmy falls down that well?

In a non-TV sequence of events, Angus would be zombie brain dead in a few weeks anyway, like Marci. However, the plot will dictate that someone will find him before then.

The zombie haters going after the helicopter doesn't make sense.  Like Clive said, it is really too sophisticated for them.  Is Blaine's dad trying to fill the power void at FM?

I think they laid the zombie brain a little thick this week, it wasn't something that just occasionally popped up, it was like always on.  Is it because she ate such a big chunk of it raw?

3 minutes ago, HawaiiTVGuy said:

The zombie haters going after the helicopter doesn't make sense.  Like Clive said, it is really too sophisticated for them.  Is Blaine's dad trying to fill the power void at FM?

I think they laid the zombie brain a little thick this week, it wasn't something that just occasionally popped up, it was like always on.  Is it because she ate such a big chunk of it raw?

Maybe it's after effect of blue memory serum? Maybe it's just the writers getting too caught up with their own joke as this has been a problem for the last few episodes.

• Love 1

This was my least favourite brain of the entire series! This guy was god awful and the tv world is a better place for his loss, too bad the rest of his crew didn't burn to death too. 

Clive deserves a damn medal for putting up with Liv this episode. 

This episode was also very choppy plot-wise. I really hope the helicopter explosion was a ruse, because I really liked Vivian. But I'm assuming that she got murdered by her brother in law.

And I'm happy that Blaine is back in charge with a black fedora and Peyton-free. He and Don E. are the real power couple. And I am still not interested in the zombie hunters, they are clearly a set-up for whoever is really running things. 

I'm not buying Liv and Justin at all. Like everyone else I'm finding the switch from Major to Justin to be completely unrealistic. Considering that it happened over a matter of 3 days or so. ? 

• Love 3

LOGAN! (Yes, I shouted that at my TV when Jason Dohring appeared.)

I didn't really enjoy Jackass!Liv and was surprised Ravi was so into the pranks. It was nice to see Rose McIver look more like herself, though I'm surprised the Fillmore Graves people haven't convinced her to tan and dye once in awhile.  

I love Jason Dohring but you better not shoot Justin again! That character is going to be someone that I am going to hate if he keeps being a jerk. 

I don't like how they dropped Liv and Major so fast, but Justin is so adorable that I will let it slide. I hope he doesn't die- Liv needs to have a love interest that won't be killed off.

Those anti-zombie brothers need to get their asses kicked. They are so creepy.

Bad ass zombie Blaine is back. I'm surprised that he didn't kill Donny. His dad is a piece of work. I hope he's really dead.

Ravi's American accent was hilarious. Liv on jackass zombie brain- not that much. That guy was vile. 

• Love 1

I can't believe the perpetrator didn't dump his trashy cheating girlfriend and his scumbag friend after that.  What a chump.

13 hours ago, AudienceofOne said:

Can anyone explain to me how Blaine re-zombified? Did he re-zombify? Have I missed something? Why can't Major re-zombify too?

He had a zombie scratch him before he succumbed to his chest wound.

• Love 1
On 5/23/2017 at 4:07 PM, Affogato said:

As someone who watched...I think the first few seasons of VM, Jason Dohring's character was always annoying and a pipsqueak to me and never believable as someone that Veronica would fall for.  Him showing up in military garb was...unfortunately laughable.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, HawaiiTVGuy said:

As someone who watched...I think the first few seasons of VM, Jason Dohring's character was always annoying and a pipsqueak to me and never believable as someone that Veronica would fall for.  Him showing up in military garb was...unfortunately laughable.

Hated the military garb, tho he wound up wearing it in the VMars movie too, but otherwise: complete and total disagreement! He and Veronica had sizzling chemistry. Yep, I'm a LoVe 'shipper. We're annoying.

• Love 7
Just now, luna1122 said:

Yep, I'm a LoVe 'shipper. We're annoying.

And we are legion.

I'd forgotten Dohring had been cast this season, so it was a nice surprise, though I agree with all the speculation above that there's a good chance Vivian's not dead at all. They sure do like to pile up twist on twist on this show. I admit I have a little trouble following it sometimes -- though I thought I'd missed something about why Major/Liv was shoved aside for Justin/Liv, but from what I read here, it was unexplained. Sigh.

Wasn't sure where I recognized Finn Vincible from -- apparently he was on VM as someone named Mason. Off to scour the internet for whoever the hell Mason was.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Jael said:

Wasn't sure where I recognized Finn Vincible from -- apparently he was on VM as someone named Mason. Off to scour the internet for whoever the hell Mason was.

I did recognize him immediately: tho he always seems to play kind of a  jerk, he's cute. He was in a few episodes as a basketball player who Wallace was sort of friends with.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, luna1122 said:

Hated the military garb, tho he wound up wearing it in the VMars movie too, but otherwise: complete and total disagreement! He and Veronica had sizzling chemistry. Yep, I'm a LoVe 'shipper. We're annoying.

Don't worry, I don't hold it against you. :-)  Love makes people do and 'ship the weirdest things.

• Love 1
(edited)
22 hours ago, AudienceofOne said:

Why can't Major re-zombify too?

He could, presumably, but barring a fatal wound, why would he want to? Doing it just so he can be with Liv would be extremely ill-advised...

On 5/24/2017 at 6:11 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I like Justin but it's very difficult for me to believe that Liv and Major went from "if I lose my memory then I'll get to fall in love with you all over again" sex to just being friends who hook each other up with new partners.

I can kind of see it that maybe both of them are just trying to pretend their mini reunion never happened because they know they can't be together, but it would be nice to get some acknowledgement of that. I think there were some very subtle facial expressions from Major last episode that spoke to the fact that he's a little heartbroken by Justin/ Liv, but wants to be a good friend and not stand in the way of a zombie relationship (kind of like guilt because he got the cure and they didn't), and I get that. I don't exactly get why Liv is choosing to jump into a relationship with Justin so quickly.

They are cute together, but I know it won't last. That and the emotional whiplash of the recent Liv/ Major stuff keeps me from feeling invested.

Edited by dargosmydaddy
because I'm an English teacher and grammar matters...
  • Love 2

So Blaine's a zombie again? They seriously just keep killing him, turning him into a zombie, turning him human and turning him into a zombie again. How many times is this?

• Love 5
5 hours ago, HawaiiTVGuy said:

Table for two, please. (It was just as bad when he was supposed to be some kind of military hotshot in the Veronica Mars movie.) 

I do wish I could drink the Jason Dohring kool-aid, because as a fan of genre TV and Rob Thomas I will never escape him.

(I don't care for Blaine either; Rob Thomas doesn't quite implement "bad boy with a heart of gold" correctly for me, but I'm picky.)

(Sorry, @luna1122, I think we tend to agree on most other things!)

• Love 1
On 5/24/2017 at 1:21 AM, Brian Cronin said:

Jason Dohring is just way too baby face-looking. I like him as an actor, but he seems woefully miscast here.

By the way, I find it EXTREMELY hard to believe that they always planned on killing off VIvian. It really doesn't make any sense. I suspect that Andrea Savage's availability might have become an issue. That totally read like a, "Oh shit, we need to get rid of this person ASAP and go a different direction," a la Lindsay Crouse from Buffy Season 4 (and you know that TV show Suits is going to have to deal with the same thing soon with the future Princess in their cast). 

I think Dohring skewed young looking in Veronica Mars which meant he often seemed older than his years, which helped the character. Now I think he looks exactly his age, even older than his age, in hollywood terms,  compared to a lot of actors who tend to start out as pretty boys. Maybe that's just me.

The extreme thinness, while it shows off his bone structure, is unnerving to me. There are some angles where he looks two dimensional.

So far I'm OK with the tiny bit of his acting that we saw.

She still may show up, we did see zombies returning from the dead a lot in this episode. Chase may even turn out to be a papa bear, or something, and be looking for a cure. Time will tell.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Jael said:

And we are legion.

We are LoVe, resistance is futile, you will be assimilated...

I am super happy to see Jason Dohring here, but I already think his character is an asshole, so I'm torn here. Of course, Logan started out as a totally irredeemable asshole too, and I ended up embarrassingly invested in him, so who knows.

Not a super great MotW, mainly because basically everyone involved was an asshole. Actually, I think the murderer was the least asshole in the bunch, and that guy burned a dude alive, and I'm pretty sure he had gone insane by the end of the episode. That guy really was an asshole. Who sleeps with their friends girlfriend as a prank? And who sleeps with their boyfriends asshole friend just because? Granted, he isn't the biggest asshole whos murder they had to solve (that was probably the internet troll who drove a girl to kill herself) but I wasn't super interested in the mystery, nor did I care about any of the characters.

I don't think that Vivian is dead at all. No body, no official death. Also, its a really lame way to end a fairly major supporting character for the season, and I don't think the show would do that.

I did enjoy Bad Blaine coming back. He is just so much more fun than doopy fake amnesia Blaine who engages in god awful love triangles.

I wonder if Ravi will continue to infiltrate the anti zombie creeps? Awwww Liv looked so nervous about leaving him behind with the creepy guys. And them both trying (and failing) to do each others accents was an episode highlight.

• Love 7
23 hours ago, ruby24 said:

So Blaine's a zombie again? They seriously just keep killing him, turning him into a zombie, turning him human and turning him into a zombie again. How many times is this?

This is Blaine's third go round as a zombie. It's really, really getting boring at this point. I thought it was great when he was rezombified last season. There had been small hints all episode as everything he ate tasted awful. Then the wonderfully meta scene with him singing Whiter Shade of Pale. It was obvious that he was becoming a zombie as Boss murdered him, but deliberately and delightfully so. The series would have been better served if A New Hope's death had just been a coincidence and Blaine had remained a zombie at that point. Immediately taking the cure and the awful 'is he/isn't he an amnesiac' plotline dragged the series down and Blaine, Peyton and even Ravi were all damaged by it. And now after all that, Blaine has once more reverted to zombie. It's boring.

And on top of that a Jackass parody?!? A show that ended 15 years ago? That's scrapping the bottom of the barrel in terms of pop culture references.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, AllyB said:

This is Blaine's third go round as a zombie. It's really, really getting boring at this point. I thought it was great when he was rezombified last season. There had been small hints all episode as everything he ate tasted awful. Then the wonderfully meta scene with him singing Whiter Shade of Pale. It was obvious that he was becoming a zombie as Boss murdered him, but deliberately and delightfully so. The series would have been better served if A New Hope's death had just been a coincidence and Blaine had remained a zombie at that point. Immediately taking the cure and the awful 'is he/isn't he an amnesiac' plotline dragged the series down and Blaine, Peyton and even Ravi were all damaged by it. And now after all that, Blaine has once more reverted to zombie. It's boring.

Agreed. I thought that it was just another fail of the cure and that Blaine just couldn't die anymore for whatever reason. Not that I knew how it would have happened, but that's what I thought before I pieced together that he just rezombified himself. I guess I just assumed that taking the cure meant that he couldn't just turn himself back. I guess there could still be some sort of side effect with the cure mixed with new zombification, but right now, I agree that him just turning back is boring. It renders the entire first half of the season useless for Blaine. 

14 hours ago, AllyB said:

And on top of that a Jackass parody?!? A show that ended 15 years ago? That's scrapping the bottom of the barrel in terms of pop culture references.

Blaine is on top because the writers say so. Apparently, he was shot in the mouth and the throat to keep him alive because head shots work for humans and zombies. Plus, as entertaining as Liv's brain-induced improv is, Blaine proves that one sociopathic zombie could create a global pandemic. I'm on the side of the redneck zombie killers.

The Jackass thing is kind of dumb. Even if you only have a set of YouTube videos, you probably couldn't get sponsors and YouTube would delete your videos if people imitated your stunts. Ridiculousness is on MTV and they just show other people's dumb stunt videos.

On 5/26/2017 at 8:35 PM, AllyB said:

Internet pranksters are still a very prevalent thing.  I thought it was more a reference to that than to Jackass.

(edited)
5 hours ago, Thriftykins said:
On 5/26/2017 at 8:35 PM, AllyB said:

Internet pranksters are still a very prevalent thing.  I thought it was more a reference to that than to Jackass.

Yes.  I wish it HAD been more of a Jackass parody because that would have involved Liv doing a lot of crazy risky things herself, rather than nastily punking everyone around her.  I did not care for this brain.  Like Affogato I only liked the lawn darts segment.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

I wish it HAD been more of a Jackass parody because that would have involved Liv doing a lot of crazy risky things herself, rather than nastily punking everyone around her.

Since the title of the episode refers to a famous stuntman, it would appear that the writers somehow got off track.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/25/2017 at 3:07 PM, HawaiiTVGuy said:

I disagree about Jason Dohring....I seem to recall he was quite nice to look at sometimes...

Jason-one-215x300.png

Edited by KaleyFirefly
  • Love 2