Type keyword(s) to search

The Mayor - General Discussion

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, jhlipton said:

3) One of those "two most experienced actors" is David Spade, right?  I don't care for the part he plays in everything he's in, but at least here it's toned down a little.  Is the other Lea Michele or Yvette Nicole Brown?  Because none of the three has interacted much with either of the other two.  (If they did, it would shine a bright light on how bad the others are...)

I was too cryptic, again. I meant Lea and Yvette, whose Val and Dina could provide dramatic tension by giving Courtney conflicting advice based on their respective roles and backgrounds, forcing him to make choices between people and ideas and thereby grow in the process. It's the triangle the show desperately needs in the absence of any romantic one. Yet any dialogue between the two women has been completely suppressed, even the one we know they must have had when Dina first let Val into her apartment. 

1 minute ago, Higgs said:

Yet any dialogue between the two women has been completely suppressed, even the one we know they must have had when Dina first let Val into her apartment. 

Yeah, both want to push Courtney down a path, and have conflicting ideas of what that path should be.  (I had included racial tension as well, but will keep it in this side-bar).

46 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

Yeah, both want to push Courtney down a path, and have conflicting ideas of what that path should be.  (I had included racial tension as well, but will keep it in this side-bar).

While the racial difference is the most immediately obvious, I believe the conflicts would arise at even more fundamental levels. Val/Dina are split by generation, occupation, education, religion, income, pragmatism v. spirituality, expediancy v. principle, professional (eventually romantic?) v. maternal association. An amusing aspect of this last episode is that Dina encouraged Courtney to solve his problem as he had in the past with cooperation and compromise, and instead he hung Gunt out to dry with the preemptive strike of a public billboard. Val would have been proud. Dina should have noticed.

The most drama-laden "comedy" on TV that I currently watch is the second season of "Better Things" on FX. 

Took them long enough. Not surprisingly when this show doesn't have congressman gunt, it has it's best show of it's young life.  It looks like this show is closer to finding it's voice.  Chemistry is being built between courtney and Val. Val's character improved by alot, and the episode in general dealt with a serious matter. Still not as dark as I would've liked, but a good resolution nonetheless. 

Eh, I think Courtney's fine, it's his supporting cast that's off. The two friends don't have enough separation other than one's fat and one's skinny, Val's still a geeky caricature and this show leans way too heavily on the mom and gunt. Easily fixable problems.

Best episode of the season, I think.  I liked that it didn't have a cookie cutter ending where everything turned out well. 

I like the characters. It makes me laugh. It is ridiculously stupid at times, but it's a nice diversion from heavier fare.  

Two replies: one wants it dark, the other light. There's just no pleasing everyone. I, too, am glad Courtney learned there are no quick fixes to all problems. Now if that park would only become trash-strewn again. Maybe then they could get some currently unemployed former community organizer to provide some advice.

• Love 1

Playing catch up here on the last couple episodes...

On 10/12/2017 at 11:09 PM, betsyboo said:

This ep solidified it - don't tell Jane, but TK has replaced Wrho-hellio as my favorite character currently on tv. I don't know why he cracks me up so, but he gives me the giggles! I thought Dina's and his tour around town was hilarious.  Their timing was great (well, clearly YNB is a pro) and i just want to bring TK home and put him in my pocket. "Except for this guy - you were texting but I'm not taking sides!"

I'm enjoying him, too :). He's hilarious. 

Frankly, the cheesy Mary Sue-ness of this show is exactly the chicken soup for the soul I need right now. Earnest lead - and even seems to be someone I can root for. 

This. It's a good break from the depressing real world news. I loved everything with Courtney and the music program-it was really sweet and made me smile. Can Courtney's next stop be the White House? 'Cause I'd be pretty okay with that.

On 10/13/2017 at 1:12 AM, DollEyes said:

All this & Larry Wilmore, too. He's one of the only people in the world who can make pie charts sexy.

Well said :). Really nice surprise seeing him show up. I'd like to see more of him. 

As for Lea Michele, I don't mind her, myself. I liked her on "Glee", and I'm liking her character on here, too. To each their own, though. 

• Love 4
On 10/23/2017 at 0:06 AM, Higgs said:

I meant Lea and Yvette, whose Val and Dina could provide dramatic tension by giving Courtney conflicting advice based on their respective roles and backgrounds, forcing him to make choices between people and ideas and thereby grow in the process. It's the triangle the show desperately needs in the absence of any romantic one. Yet any dialogue between the two women has been completely suppressed, even the one we know they must have had when Dina first let Val into her apartment. 

I think that's a fair point. I wouldn't mind seeing more of that conflict where possible, and seeing him tackling something particularly big in that town. 

The compromise stuff was a nice touch, though-the story about how Courtney solved things with a kid back in the day was cute and funny. And I liked the awkwardness around him going on that TV program, and realizing just how much he truly had to learn about doing this job. 

This show is the sitcom equivalent of cotton candy - all sweetness and light, nothing of real substance. And like cotton candy, I enjoy this show even if I don’t feel mentally “fed”. Sometimes all I want is unadulturated entertainment. 

• Love 11
4 hours ago, deaja said:

Best episode of the season, I think.  I liked that it didn't have a cookie cutter ending where everything turned out well. 

I like the characters. It makes me laugh. It is ridiculously stupid at times, but it's a nice diversion from heavier fare.  

YES! TO ALL OF THIS! This show hits all of my happy points. And TK continues to be my fave. "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! TAKE JERMAINNNNNNNEEEEEEEE!"

"No. It's child-like."

• Love 3

I am very much enjoying this show.

I first watched because I liked the premise but really had no investment.

I got really engaged as I find the lead actors charming and the story amusing.....particularly in light of what we are going thru nationally.

I say------THE MAYOR FOR PRESIDENT!

• Love 1

I'm out.  This episode was indeed cotton candy, and I detest cotton candy.  Nasty stuff. 

The two friends just continue to irritate, with no real distinction between them; Courtney hasn't learned one thing since starting the job; and Courtney's mom is magic.   If you can't do a fun show about blacks and police, don't try to do a fun show about blacks and police.

I always start each episode wondering if I'm going to continue.  By the end I find something that keeps me going to watch the next week.  I'm not sure what it is, but I'm thinking it's the mother.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, jhlipton said:

I'm out.  This episode was indeed cotton candy, and I detest cotton candy.  Nasty stuff. 

The two friends just continue to irritate, with no real distinction between them; Courtney hasn't learned one thing since starting the job; and Courtney's mom is magic.   If you can't do a fun show about blacks and police, don't try to do a fun show about blacks and police.

Is that really fair? Courtney learned there are no easy solutions to deep-rooted problems (about time) and perceived the city needed a formal mechanism for continual citizen input (commendable).

What do you mean by "mom is magic"?

• Love 1

When Fort Grey’s public transportation comes to a crippling halt due to the bus driver’s union strike, Courtney also finds himself striking out when he’s outmatched by Amber, the fierce Transit Union lawyer who makes him realize he’ll need more than his charm and Val’s advice to reach a new deal. T.K. and Jermaine attempt to solve the issue by employing a focus group which quickly turns unruly. Meanwhile, Dina and her two best friends are excited about their annual tradition of taking a sick day to pamper themselves, but their plans get derailed by an unforeseen chain of events.

Random thoughts after seeing three eps...

Courtney Rose is a weird name choice, a double girl's name. Yes, I know Courtney can be a guy's name, but it's not anymore. 

The American city council system must be very different than what I'm used to. The city is large enough for public transit and a huge multi-office and staff system just for the mayor, but there are only six members of council? And they regularly meet without the mayor present? And they pass bills and have filibusters like state and federal politics? And they control the budget of the local school? And the council president (huh? Isn't the mayor head of council?) sits in council chambers all day even when there's no meeting?

The cast is charming and talented, and the premise has promise, but the execution is cornier than an Iowa farm.

• Love 1

"Now are we running TO something or FROM something - you gotta tell somebody!"

"I'm willing to take notes. I'm still honing my craft."

"It's a bad sign if I'm the one trying to focus the group."

Never change, TK, never change. 

• Love 3
On 10/25/2017 at 11:16 PM, kaygeeret said:

I am very much enjoying this show.

I first watched because I liked the premise but really had no investment.

I got really engaged as I find the lead actors charming and the story amusing.....particularly in light of what we are going thru nationally.

I say------THE MAYOR FOR PRESIDENT!

I’m enjoying this show. It’s funny, and I find Courtney quite charming but still intelligent and teachable. 

And that Yvette Nicole Brown is a treasure. 

• Love 2

After going on a date with an old flame with ulterior motives, Courtney realizes that hidden agendas also apply to dating now that he’s a public figure; now he will need T.K. and Jermaine’s help to recreate a throwback prom-posal to hopefully get a second chance with someone he truly likes. Meanwhile, Reverend Ocho Okoye (Arsenio Hall) tries to get a hesitant Dina to join the church choir which leads to a soulful result.

I am still watching.  I like the friends more than I like Courtney  lol  The end scene was nice with Mom singing, but that subplot felt a bit forced.  This show is still trying to find its footing...not sure if it ever will though.

• Love 1

I watched but this was not a fave.  I know Yvette can sing but they could have found a better way to showcase that.  I basically found nothing funny and was almost surprised that Amber took Courtney back.  At 28, I am going to need Courtney and friends to adult soon, I am so tired of man babies.  But I will continue to watch because I generally like the cast.

• Love 2

I enjoyed a decent amount of it. Wasn't my favorite episode, but may have gotten some of the biggest laughs out of me at the same time, so it just wasn't consistent. His friends and mom remain my favorite part of the show, though I didn't love her storyline this time (though I did appreciate the general idea of them showing her in church since it's realistic). But I still like Courtney, I feel like he's in it too much to stick with this if I didn't find him likable or appealing, but it's harder for me to laugh as much about his stuff than his friends. Think it's good we learned a bit more about Val this episode. The dancing had me dying. Jermaine's plaid suit with capri pants? Questionable fashion choice on many, but as perfect as could be on him.

"She didn't RSVP to the shower? Well then you do not invite her to the wedding, girl.." (hangs up the phone) "That started as a constituent complaint, and then we had a lot to unpack." TK is my favorite.

• Love 2

As the mayor’s office plans a tour for the governor of California’s official visit to Fort Grey, an old rap video of Courtney resurfaces that puts potential funding for their city in jeopardy, leaving Courtney and his staff to make a decision to stay true to himself or issue an apology. Meanwhile, Dina finds herself in an unwanted competition with her friend Krystal.

And that Yvette Nicole Brown is a treasure. 

I came for the YNB, I'm sort of staying for the BMH.  Brandon is a real find and has charisma to spare. 

Lea Michele is Rachel from Glee working at the local level and not singing (yet.)

• Love 1

Except being ambitious and a bit type A, Val and Rachel are actually pretty different.  Val is not out for herself, is a team player. is trying to help others succeed.  Val wants to get the work done but seems way more laid backed than Rachel.   She has a sense a humor , uses sarcasm and is more mature.  But mostly has a different stance and cadacne to her speech and carries herself differently.  The more background we learn the more she is  different from rachel too.

• Love 5
On 11/10/2017 at 10:18 AM, JasmineFlower said:

"She didn't RSVP to the shower? Well then you do not invite her to the wedding, girl.." (hangs up the phone) "That started as a constituent complaint, and then we had a lot to unpack." TK is my favorite.

YES YES YES! i love this show. I LOVE THIS SHOW. it makes me smile, it makes me happy, it takes me 45 minutes to watch because I am constantly rewinding to watch TK deliver his lines. This time I rewatched the dance segment several times - Jermaine's and TK's faces/experssions were priceless!!!! Lea can go, i don't care about her, but i love everything else about this show. Please don't take it away from me!  (For those of you on twitter, the cast is very active and very interested in your thoughts. I have tweeted the last few weeks and tagged Marcel, Brandon, Yvette and the creator, Jeremy Bronson, and they have each RT and liked each time. Imagine my surprise waking up to those notifications after YNB retweets you! :-)  )

I love that it's old school TGIF fare - light and fluffy and lesson learned to boot.

My favorite part of this ep? Those suave fellas sauntering to the car (where they all get in the front seat - HA!) and then as soon as the door closes they all freak out because the pretty girl finally paid attention to one of them. I love it!

• Love 6

I like the blending of nerdy and cool qualities in the Mayor and his friends. I also like that they are quick learners, open-minded, and actually do want to do a good job for the city, even if they didn't actually plan to win the office.

I find Val extremely irritating, not so much because of her personality but because of Lea Michelle's acting and speech patterns.

I like the relationship between YNB and her son/his friends, but it's a little hard that she's so far been mostly a sidekick. I hope this week's episode is an indication they are going to expand her role and develop her life outside the mom aspects. I also like that even when she's being a mom, she's not stuffy. She got into the Halloween pranks, and she's neither all yes/support nor all criticism/discipline. A 3D mom character is a good thing, but making her a person beyond the mom role is even better. You do get to be both!

I think the show could be better, but I'll still watch it if it stays the same. I hope it gets enough viewers to stick around long enough to develop more.

• Love 5
On 11/10/2017 at 9:49 PM, Lady Calypso said:

I don't care if it's just scripts, it's more than I was expecting. I made the mistake of checking the ratings a few episodes in, and resigned myself to enjoying the rest of whatever ABC had ordered until the show got cancelled. These may not be confirmed episodes yet, but there's still hope!

• Love 1
On 11/11/2017 at 0:13 PM, betsyboo said:

YES YES YES! i love this show. I LOVE THIS SHOW. it makes me smile, it makes me happy, it takes me 45 minutes to watch because I am constantly rewinding to watch TK deliver his lines. This time I rewatched the dance segment several times - Jermaine's and TK's faces/experssions were priceless!!!! Lea can go, i don't care about her, but i love everything else about this show. Please don't take it away from me!  (For those of you on twitter, the cast is very active and very interested in your thoughts. I have tweeted the last few weeks and tagged Marcel, Brandon, Yvette and the creator, Jeremy Bronson, and they have each RT and liked each time. Imagine my surprise waking up to those notifications after YNB retweets you! :-)  )

I love that it's old school TGIF fare - light and fluffy and lesson learned to boot.

My favorite part of this ep? Those suave fellas sauntering to the car (where they all get in the front seat - HA!) and then as soon as the door closes they all freak out because the pretty girl finally paid attention to one of them. I love it!

But without Val you have no grounded person in the office.   I like the 3 guys but they are basically all the same character.  They need a straight guy to work off of some times..

• Love 6

For a wide variety of reasons this is the 3rd episode I have been able to watch and I am very much loving this show.

The cast is great and the writing seems spot on.

Tonight was a nice treatise on politics and using others that the profession seems to imply.

Will be back and will be looking to catch up somewhere - I do not have cable so will have to hunt a bit.

• Love 1

T.K. to Val:  Let's not refer to women as girls, chicks hate that.

Val at shooting range: "Guys want to see me shoot him between the eyes?"   Shot hits mark,   Guys slowly back away.

• Love 2
On 11/13/2017 at 9:27 AM, possibilities said:

I've waited for more people to report on this, but nothing. A lot of shows said to be cancelled on that site haven't been confirmed at all. So...actually, I don't know how reliable this site is with cancellations, but I'm not going to take it for its word until all entertainment sites start confirming.

• Love 2