Type keyword(s) to search

The Mayor - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I hadn't planned to watch this show since I cannot stand Lea Michele.  However, last night I was channel surfing and I saw this episode.  Surprisingly, I liked it and, most surprisingly, she didn't get on my nerves.  I like the characters so I'll keep watching to see how the show develops.

• Love 4

I liked the first ep enough to watch this one. I enjoyed seeing the relationships of Courtney/his mom, Courtney/his buddies, and then throwing some Spade in for good measure. I had hopes I'd stick with it, but after last night, I can't stomach Lea Michele. I never watched Glee, or anything she's been in, just know of her via media stories but damn, she's very very annoying! So much so, she sucked all the life out of it for me. She babbles incessantly - too much and too fast. If she weren't in it, I'd be here every week to see how it develops. IF she gets canned and everyone else stays, I'll be back.

Edited by Katmai
commas make a difference

I hear you about Lea Michele.  I never watched Glee either, but there was always something about her that I didn't like whenever I saw her on award shows, etc.  Since I've only seen this episode, I hope that she doesn't become annoying in the future and I really hope that she doesn't become the main focus of the show.  I also don't want her and Courtney to hook up.  If that happens, then I'm out.  

I will never understand why she is such a lightening rod.     The characters she has played can be annoying but even harder here she's the straight guy is even more difficult but frankly I appreciate as an actress she actually enunciates  her lines and pretty sure if she is "babbling" its was written for her. 

That said I think they are work well of each other.   I thought the Dina/TK stuff was ok maybe a little slow.   Overall better than the pilot even if it is a little pie in the sky happy .

• Love 9

Jeez...some people really have an irrational dislike of Lea.  It's really bizarre.  I think she has great comedic timing.  So far, I'm enjoying the cast and the show, even if it is a little sugary sappy in the first two episodes.  The pacing was much improved from the pilot though.

• Love 13
14 minutes ago, dizzyizzy01 said:

Jeez...some people really have an irrational dislike of Lea.  It's really bizarre.  I think she has great comedic timing.  So far, I'm enjoying the cast and the show, even if it is a little sugary sappy in the first two episodes.  The pacing was much improved from the pilot though.

I don’t think the dislike is irrational. I think we could all name actors who just rub us the wrong way.

• Love 3

The irrational part to me is when there seems to be little separation  between actor and character.  

That said I think Lea does a decent job with the material has been given and the way they have styled Val is great.  Yvette is solid as usual and I like  all the guys. I might like the sidekicks more than the mayor tbh.  

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, Sara2009 said:

I don’t think the dislike is irrational. I think we could all name actors who just rub us the wrong way.

It's irrational dislike if someone fully admits to disliking someone without any specific reason but just because?  I mean never even watching any of her projects but just saying she's annoying on sight is slightly irrational?  I fully admit to having an irrational dislike of some people also, doesn't make it any less irrational because it's myself though!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, dizzyizzy01 said:

It's irrational dislike if someone fully admits to disliking someone without any specific reason but just because?  I mean never even watching any of her projects but just saying she's annoying on sight is slightly irrational?  I fully admit to having an irrational dislike of some people also, doesn't make it any less irrational because it's myself though!

You can also dislike actors if you’ve only ever seen them in interviews or at award shows, and I don’t think that’s necessarily irrational. But I agree that just hating someone on site is.

• Love 1

I mean award shows where someone is basically just reading off a teleprompter doesn't give you much basis to dislike or like someone...anyway I think it's irrational to have such an visceral dislike of a person while also admitting to not really being very familiar with said person.  Again, not to say you can't dislike an actor/actress for some pretty vague reasons.  I just think it's irrational that's all.

• Love 3

I've never seen Lea Michele in anything and I can certainly understand people who doesn't like her, but she seems like the perfect fit for this show.  I think her and the lead character has chemistry and I wouldn't be shocked if they hooked up.  My only grip is that I wish they would have spent a little more time on the shock of him becoming mayor and the transition during that time.  It seems like it went from him winning to being mayor at the blink of an eye.  Other than that, I'm still enjoying the show and hope it doesn't get cancelled. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, tv4sho said:

My only grip is that I wish they would have spent a little more time on the shock of him becoming mayor and the transition during that time.  It seems like it went from him winning to being mayor at the blink of an eye.  Other than that, I'm still enjoying the show and hope it doesn't get cancelled. 

yeah in the pilot when he fixed up the park he was still mayor elected so I had hoped they would stick with that for a episode or two.

• Love 4

I've only seen Lea in commercials for makeup before, but she's a bad actress in my opinion. She overacts. Her character is basically a stereotype- the ambitious, bossy female who doesn't know how to have fun but is the only competent one. 

I loved the mom driving his friend around showing him what he should be doing!

On 10/4/2017 at 0:45 AM, TiffanyNichelle said:

I thought it was pretty charming. I really liked the sidekick friends.

I can't express how much I loved the friends. I loved all of it - but my gawd those two stole the show for me. It's a week later and I'm still showing people the FIRE scene and after 15 showings, I still crack up at "Miss Dina, you can't yell 'fire' at black people! "I'M SKITTISH!" haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

• Love 4
2 hours ago, deaja said:

This ep solidified it - don't tell Jane, but TK has replaced Wrho-hellio as my favorite character currently on tv. I don't know why he cracks me up so, but he gives me the giggles! I thought Dina's and his tour around town was hilarious.  Their timing was great (well, clearly YNB is a pro) and i just want to bring TK home and put him in my pocket. "Except for this guy - you were texting but I'm not taking sides!"

Frankly, the cheesy Mary Sue-ness of this show is exactly the chicken soup for the soul I need right now. Earnest lead - and even seems to be someone I can root for. Funny sidekicks and a crackerjack mama bear.  I even laughed at "You're picturing two Vernes right now, aren't you?"

• Love 5

Another great episode. If Scandal shows the worst of politics, then The Mayor shows it st its best, or at least as it should be. Courtney, Jermaine & TK are learning about their new jobs. Little by little, Courtney is discovering that keeping promises is much easier said than done, especially in politics. Courtney wanted to give the kids at his old school new musical instruments, but he learned the hard way that he can't just strut into a City Council meeting, drop a "V-bomb," aka a veto & get what he wants.

Jermaine learned that while social media exposure for Courtney is important, he can't film every crazy thing Courtney says/does because it can backfire, like the City Council nuking Courtney's "V-bomb."

TK learned during his ride along with Dina about the importance of identifying the problems & telling Courtney about them so he can try to solve them. Even Councilman Gunt learned something: that denying help to poor kids on a viral video is not a good look.

Re the Lea Michele Factor, I like her so much more here than on Glee because unlike Rachel, Val isn't obsessed with being the center of attention Every. Fucking. Second. 

Yvette Nicole Brown is comedy gold, whether she's giving Courtney a haircut in the Mayor's office or giving TK advice in the mail truck.

All this & Larry Wilmore, too. He's one of the only people in the world who can make pie charts sexy.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 10

From "The Filibuster":

T.K., to Dina:" What's up?"

Dina:" It's my back brace. It's 'phone book' week. I don't know why we still have these things, but then again, how would anyone find their local Radio Shack or Blockbuster? "

T.K.: " What's Blockbuster?"

"Dina: " Don't worry about it."

Val, to Courtney, about the veto override: "If you had listened to me before, we could've taken an informal vote just to test the waters & we could've cut a back-end deal."

Courtney: "So this is your process, huh?" You have a meeting before the meeting, you have a meeting after the meeting?"

Val: "Yeah."

Jermaine: "Pre-party, party, after-party. You scope out girl at the pre-party, you chat her up at the party & then you close the deal at the after-party. Man, we started bragging about the after-party way too soon [and] homegirl bailed. (sighs) Life lessons. They really travel."

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 3

As Courtney settles into his new role as mayor, he’s faced with a dismal approval rating as the citizens of Fort Grey express their lack of confidence in his ability to lead, as well as those on his own staff. He realizes that he needs to take an unconventional approach when dealing with Councilman Ed Gunt (David Spade) and comes up with a plan to quickly turn public opinion in his favor.

Not sure why that would cause vomiting but it would be pretty cliche.   The producers  seem to want to show Courtney in a positive light and good role model so him hoking up with a subordinate would throw that all out the window.

At most they will be flirty no real substance.

Edited by tom87
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, deaja said:

I've only seen Lea in commercials for makeup before, but she's a bad actress in my opinion. She overacts. Her character is basically a stereotype- the ambitious, bossy female who doesn't know how to have fun but is the only competent one. 

they are all pretty stereotypical so far.  the sassy mom, the bumbling friend, the earnest yet underestimated lead. 

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, marymon said:

From "The Filibuster":

Courtney:  You got the mind, I have the heart.

Valentina: I have a heart.

^^^ TK: "Well, if you gots to *say* it..."

My fave, still making me laugh a week later:

TK: "Miss Dina, you can't yell 'fire' at black people like that! I'm skittish!"

TK: "There is a tiny man behind you..." ... "I'm gonna tell your mother." <harrumph unspoken.>

• Love 2
On 10/13/2017 at 3:19 PM, marymon said:

they are all pretty stereotypical so far.  the sassy mom, the bumbling friend, the earnest yet underestimated lead. 

Courtney and his mom's performances raise above the admittedly weakish writing, Val isn't. Her character and the dumb friend are far and away the weakest links of this cast so far.

This show continues to get by on it's lead's charisma. However, this show needs more of an edge because right now it attacks things like money in politics and class warfare in the most banal way possible.

The previous mayor mustve been horrible because TK's job seems like a pretty important one.

Edited by Oscirus

Well even the weakest links are better than some leads (cough2brokegirlscough)  I've seen imo.  The cast seem to work well together.  But the mom even thought I thinks she does a good job is the most stereotypical of the group to me.

I like the lead to but so far i would be frustrated with him too he is pretty immature hardly listening  to advice before he decides act.

Edited by marymon

All the characters are written stereo typically I think it come down to how they're portrayed on the screen.

To be fair, she volunteered for her job, he didn't offer it. And yes he is rash, but that's to be expected given the circumstances. 

For the person who is supposed to be the competent one, she's so far failed on two tasks that are supposed to be in her purview. 

On 10/14/2017 at 3:22 AM, slf said:

This show is fucking adorable. The cast has so much chemistry, I love how the humor doesn't feel sitcom-y, the characters have heart. I'm in.

Same! I am so glad I gave this show a chance; it's not often I like comedies, but putting it after Black-ish was brilliant. I hope it sticks around.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, stillhere1900 said:

How did he get elected mayor ? He wrote in his own name but were there any other candidates ?

He got the number of signatures needed to run for Mayor and then his statements at the debate propelled him into being a front runner.

• Love 2
On 10/15/2017 at 11:12 PM, Oscirus said:

All the characters are written stereo typically I think it come down to how they're portrayed on the screen.

To be fair, she volunteered for her job, he didn't offer it. And yes he is rash, but that's to be expected given the circumstances. 

For the person who is supposed to be the competent one, she's so far failed on two tasks that are supposed to be in her purview. 

so the stereotype of the of a bossy, ambitious, know it all shouldn't come across as a bossy ambitious know it all or the stereo type of a bumbling friend shouldn't have them bumbling? Rhetorical of course.

Really it is expected for a 27 year to be rash?  I think more people would be more cautious under these circumstances.

Well she did get him to get a permit and she did come through with helping get the budget for music programs  passed so do she really fail?

Edited by marymon
19 hours ago, marymon said:

so the stereotype of the of a bossy, ambitious, know it all shouldn't come across as a bossy ambitious know it all or the stereo type of a bumbling friend shouldn't have them bumbling? Rhetorical of course.

Really it is expected for a 27 year to be rash?  I think more people would be more cautious under these circumstances.

Well she did get him to get a permit and she did come through with helping get the budget for music programs  passed so do she really fail?

If all you're going for is the stereotype then yes  their performances are fine, but I'm expecting them to bring more to the role. Especially a veteran like Lea.

Considering that it's obvious that he ran for mayor to advertise his rap career, yea, it should be expected.

tumblr_oy0tc00GEV1vp0o62o3_500.gif

Another cute episode.  I think they need to mix in a episode or two where its not the Mayor  getting a win in the end.  And if his friends are going to be sycophants he does needs to listen to his chief of staff from time to time.   

Edited by marymon
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, marymon said:

Another cute episode.  I think they need to mix in a episode or two where its not the Mayor  getting a win in the end.  And if his friends are going to be sycophants he does needs to listen to his chief of staff from time to time.   

The series creator has said that a major theme was the growth of Courtney from boy to man to leader. Learning to listen to Val will be part of that process and therefore can't happen at the very beginning. And, while Courtney needs to find his brain, Val needs to find her heart. (Oz comes to Ft. Grey.) That might be the dynamic that leads her to a a romantic connection with Courtney, even if it's just a one-time event. 

• Love 3
46 minutes ago, Higgs said:

The series creator has said that a major theme was the growth of Courtney from boy to man to leader. Learning to listen to Val will be part of that process and therefore can't happen at the very beginning. And, while Courtney needs to find his brain, Val needs to find her heart. (Oz comes to Ft. Grey.)

I get the gist of the show. 

Three episodes in and this show is on the verge of being formulaic. This show could definitely use an episode that doesn't have a courtney vs gunt storyline.

I will say that the minor storyline of Val finally committing to courtney was intriguing. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Oscirus said:

Three episodes in and this show is on the verge of being formulaic. This show could definitely use an episode that doesn't have a courtney vs gunt storyline.

I will say that the minor storyline of Val finally committing to courtney was intriguing. 

Ironic since viewers are decommitting at a quick pace.

As Halloween approaches, Mayor Courtney Rose and Police Chief Fox (Kristen Johnston) find themselves at odds on how to handle the community’s first annual spook-tacular celebration at City Hall. During the night of the bash, it dawns on Courtney that throwing a party to keep kids safe doesn’t address the bigger issues in Fort Grey and plans to work with Chief Fox going forward. Meanwhile, Dina gets into the spirit by dressing up as Congresswoman Maxine Waters, while Jermaine and T.K. set out to prank Val who has the last laugh when she outsmarts the guys at their own game.

Well, I am still in because I like the cast.  Watching Courtney trying to figure out how to be an adult by being the mayor is fine with me.  This is also one of the few comedies that actually makes me laugh and not just smile.  While I wasn't as thrilled with this episode, it does make sense that folks are wondering why they voted for a struggling rapper who knew nothing about politics or the political system.  

• Love 6
On 10/20/2017 at 9:02 PM, Higgs said:

I am genuinely curious about your reasons. What's wrong/missing?

Not sure about them but I’m dropping it because I don’t want to stay invested into a show that obviously won’t return.

On 10/20/2017 at 6:02 PM, Higgs said:

I am genuinely curious about your reasons. What's wrong/missing?

I'm not sure.  I find the bumbling friends off-putting and not funny, and I don't care for Courtney much.  It's just bland.

1 hour ago, jhlipton said:

I'm not sure.  I find the bumbling friends off-putting and not funny, and I don't care for Courtney much.  It's just bland.

In Elizabethan theater, the “bumbling friends” would have been called “comic relief”, their appearances very limited and in relief of dramatic tension. “Bland” suggests there is nothing you need relieved. What specific elements do you feel are missing? (This is NOT a rhetorical question or a graded test. But, yes, I do have my own answers.) 

53 minutes ago, Higgs said:

In Elizabethan theater, the “bumbling friends” would have been called “comic relief”, their appearances very limited and in relief of dramatic tension. “Bland” suggests there is nothing you need relieved. What specific elements do you feel are missing? (This is NOT a rhetorical question or a graded test. But, yes, I do have my own answers.) 

The "bumbling friends" aren't limited in appearance, though -- they're about half the show.  So if I don't find their "antics" as amusing as I'm obviously supposed to, then a good part of the show is ruined. (Also, too, you're referring to a drama, which this is not.  In a comedy, the "bumbling friends" provide situations for the "serious" character to relate to [see Black Adder].)

Few comedies have much in the way of "dramatic tension" (save for black comedies like Wrecked), so there's nothing to be relieved.  Bland in this case is like beige -- it doesn't offset anything or add any spark of its own.

1 hour ago, jhlipton said:

The "bumbling friends" aren't limited in appearance, though -- they're about half the show.  So if I don't find their "antics" as amusing as I'm obviously supposed to, then a good part of the show is ruined. (Also, too, you're referring to a drama, which this is not.  In a comedy, the "bumbling friends" provide situations for the "serious" character to relate to [see Black Adder].)

Few comedies have much in the way of "dramatic tension" (save for black comedies like Wrecked), so there's nothing to be relieved.  Bland in this case is like beige -- it doesn't offset anything or add any spark of its own.

I was attempting to indicate I agreed with you completely regarding the friends. But comedy can have drama, tension, and purpose in its own style. "All In The Family", "Modern Family", "Parks and Rec" are examples. Characters argue, get angry, make jokes, make choices. When the writers refuse to introduce politics and ideology when the opponent of a young black mayor is a figurehead puppet of local Republican power brokers (Gunt answering his cell after the kids' invasion: "... How's the dealership?"), it seems a gross misreading of the current public mood and "bland" is what you get. (Gunt is being treated as just a shorter and less masculine version of Sue Sylvester.) And can someone explain why the two most experienced actors on the show NEVER engage in even a brief dialogue despite appearing close together in several scenes and likely having some conflicting political viewpoints and principles. Now that would be tension.

50 minutes ago, Higgs said:

1) I was attempting to indicate I agreed with you completely regarding the friends. But comedy can have drama, tension, and purpose in its own style. "All In The Family", "Modern Family", "Parks and Rec" are examples. 

2) Gunt is being treated as just a shorter and less masculine version of Sue Sylvester.

3) And can someone explain why the two most experienced actors on the show NEVER engage in even a brief dialogue despite appearing close together in several scenes and likely having some conflicting political viewpoints and principles. Now that would be tension.

1) True.  The TBS "comedies" (Wrecked and The Detour are the ones I watch) have "drama, tension, and purpose", as does Brooklyn 99 (pretty close to the "perfect comedy", and definitely the best romance on TV).  One thing I like about B99 is that even the bumblers (Hitchcock and Scully, and Charles to a lesser extent) aren't just bumblers -- they have personality, and at least a little depth.

2) LOL

3) One of those "two most experienced actors" is David Spade, right?  I don't care for the part he plays in everything he's in, but at least here it's toned down a little.  Is the other Lea Michele or Yvette Nicole Brown?  Because none of the three has interacted much with either of the other two.  (If they did, it would shine a bright light on how bad the others are...)