Type keyword(s) to search

The Mayor - General Discussion

• Start Topic

This is the only new show I'm looking forward too - partly a love of Lea Michele, partly I will watch anything Daveed Diggs is part of, and partly I've really enjoyed what ABC comedies have been doing and want to give this a chance. I only wish it wasn't up against The Good Place.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, shantown said:

I only wish it wasn't up against The Good Place.

And Brooklyn 99. My dvr is going to be very busy. Of all the trailers i watched this was my favorite and putting it behind Blackish seems like a good idea.

• Love 1

Watched pilot on Hulu last night, and I really enjoyed it. Lead actor is good and I really enjoyed his two friends. I can't stand Lea Michelle but do like Yvette Nicole Brown. Lea's character was tolerable, so I will likely watch this on Hulu and watch the Good Place live.

• Love 1

The pilot is also on ABC.go.com and Funny or Die.

It was a typical pilot packed with a lot of exposition but it was fun and sweet.   I enjoyed all the cast and their characters even down to the new hapless aides.  It should be a nice fun easy going 1/2 hour to just sit back and enjoy

On 9/13/2017 at 8:23 PM, lark37 said:

Watched pilot on Hulu last night, and I really enjoyed it. Lead actor is good and I really enjoyed his two friends. I can't stand Lea Michelle but do like Yvette Nicole Brown. Lea's character was tolerable, so I will likely watch this on Hulu and watch the Good Place live.

It is not up against The Good Place.  The Good Place was move to Thursdays.

Edited by marymon
  • Love 1
On 9/14/2017 at 9:08 PM, marymon said:

The pilot is also on ABC.go.com and Funny or Die.

It was a typical pilot packed with a lot of exposition but it was fun and sweet.   I enjoyed all the cast and their characters even down to the new hapless aides.  It should be a nice fun easy going 1/2 hour to just sit back and enjoy

It is not up against The Good Place.  The Good Place was move to Thursdays.

Sorry you are correct in that The Good Place is on Thursdays. I must have looked at the wrong Fall schedule. I can watch this show live yay!

Young rapper Courtney Rose (Brandon Micheal Hall, “Search Party”) needs his big break. For years he’s toiled away in a small inner-city apartment, making music in his junk-filled bedroom closet. Tired of waiting for opportunity to knock, Courtney cooks up the publicity stunt of the century – running for mayor of his California hometown, Fort Grey, to generate buzz for his music career. But his master plan goes wildly awry, ending in the most terrifying of outcomes: an election victory.

7 hours ago, AmandaPanda said:

Just finished watching it. It's super endearing! Plus, Lea Michele is hitting all the vibes of Rachel Berry when she was still likable. 

Loved Rachel the whole time but besides being a type A person she wasn't much like Rachel in mannerism or personality imo.  Val has a sense a humor something Rachel  hardly showed and  obviously she is there to help the Mayor not be the in the spotlight.  She will also be different Val will be the "straight" person when Rachel was always an OTT character.

The  characters everyone was likeable and the cast had some chemistry.  Pilots always seem to pack too much exposition in to them but I think the  plotting will be better as time goes on.

• Love 4

Really enjoying the show so far and it has tons of potential for delicious satire of current events.  I never thought I'd say this, but I kinda hope David Spade pops up every now and again as a foil for Courtney.

• Love 6

My verdict: love it!  Based on the pilot, The Mayor is the smartest, the funniest & the sweetest surprise of the new season. Brandon Michael Hall is perfect às Courtney Rose, the rapper/Mayor, as are Bernard David Jones & Marcel Spears as Jermaine & T.K., Courtney's buds/staff.

However, while the newbies are great, the veterans are even better. David Spade is on point as Councilman Ed Gunt, Courtney's rival, as are Yvette Nicole Brown as Courtney's mama Dina & Lea Michele as Valentina, Courtney's Chief Of Staff. As for Courtney's future, while his campaign may have started as a publicity stunt, I think he wants to do the right thing. Eventually, Courtney will treat being Mayor as a real job, not a side hustle.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 7

Courtney makes his first mayoral appearance at his old elementary school and discovers that their music program, which helped changed his life, is in danger of being eliminated. Val educates Courtney about how he needs to “work the system” in order to provide the school with appropriate funding, and they work together to outsmart Councilman Ed Gunt (David Spade). Meanwhile, Jermaine proudly embraces his new role as communications director, as Dina pushes T.K. to realize the significance of his job as director of Constituent Services.

I think it was a little overstuffed, but they had a lot of set-up to cram into a 20 minute pilot episode. I'm looking forwarding to seeing the pacing/plotting of future episodes, and looking forward to how all these characters interact. I want to see David Spade encounter Lea Michele now that she joined the other team. Or see DS and YNB have an interaction!

• Love 5

Love the mother/son bond here-Brown and Hall have a really sweet chemistry. I loved the little fire escape chat between them. 

This show looks really cute and fun. Courtney's friends are entertaining (I liked them getting all excited at the idea that Courtney would get to use the big scissors you see at ribbon cutting ceremonies :D), and Lea Michele's character will make for a nice contrast to the guys' goofy antics (and will make it all the more fun during the times when she gets sucked into participating in silly schemes).

I also really like the whole "power of the community" vibe this show gives off. There's so much cynicism around politics nowadays, and rightly so, but it's nice to have a series that shows the positive side, and the importance of getting involved. Courtney's speech about why the commons was an important place was really well done, and I liked his mom pointing out how his rap career can be a positive influence in terms of speaking his mind about things that matter. I hope we get to see some glimpses of the happy memories Courtney and his friends had of playing in the commons as kids, and get to meet some more of the townspeople as well. This premise lends itself well to some colorful and loveable townsfolk sorts of characters, I think :).

And there were a few great one-liners that made me laugh as well (the DMV guy's comment about being used to people lying about things, Courtney using his phone during the debate to say he was "calling bullshit" on Spade's rhetoric). So yeah. I'm in. I look forward to seeing how they develop and expand on this premise, and getting to know these characters better. 

• Love 9

This show could be good. It is different, but not crazy out there different which could help it catch on. Plus it was really funny so that helped. I liked that they went there with Courtney's mom actually ending up in jail, because he actually went to the show.

• Love 6

I really enjoyed the pilot!  Thought the lead character had tons of charisma and so did his friends, although the big one reminded me of Kenan Thompson and the short one a little bit of Kevin Hart.  Looking forward to the rest of the season.

• Love 5
On 10/3/2017 at 9:26 PM, Caseysgirl said:

Not bad for a Pilot. I got a little early Will Smith vibe from the lead character. Lea Michelle will give a nice balance, I think. Is David Spade going to be in a recurring role?

Spade is reoccurring.

• Love 2

Why didn't anyone tell me David Spade was in this?? I was going to check it out anyway, so that was just the icing.

Not quite as laugh-out-loud funny as I would want, but it's got heart. Will be watching more.

• Love 4

Courtney, about City Commons: "There's so much trash, Bravo gave it a second season."

Gunt, to Courtney, in the debate: "I hate to interrupt the dog-and-pony show, but urban redevelopment takes time. You wouldn't know that. (Courtney pretends to use his phone ) What are you doing?"

Courtney: "I'm just calling 'bullshit.'"

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 3

I've got a question-is it just me or did anyone else see sparks between Courtney & Valentina? I don't usually believe that the leads should end up together, but IMO these two are so cute together that I've even invented  name for them: "Courtina."

• Love 4

The lead actor has charisma for days. Which is a good thing because the writing on this show is questionable at best. Hopefully it improves and goes beyond the superficial, but I'm not confident.

I like the mother-son relationship alot and his smarter friend. Jury's still out on  his dumb friend and valentina.

Ultimately, this was a fine pilot it got the characters where they needed to be. Let's see where they go from here.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, DollEyes said:

I've got a question-is it just me or did anyone else see sparks between Courtney & Valentina? I don't usually believe that the leads should end up together, but IMO these two are so cute together that I've even invented  name for them: "Courtina."

I've seen others  say that but I saw no romantic leanings.  They were teasing towards each other and I thought the actors worked well but not sure at least for now they will have the Mayor and his Chief of staff in a relationship.

• Love 1
On 10/5/2017 at 2:06 AM, DollEyes said:

4 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I would be shocked if they don't put Courtney and Valentina together. That's just TV 101.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that went there already with Courtney and Valentina or Courtina. I thought it was because I was bracing myself to be annoyed by Lea Michele's character, but I thought she did a fine job of being the know it all, responsible one while still having relatable moments. I was afraid that she was going to be completely one note.  I thought she and Brandon Michael Hall had a nice friendly chemistry. 

If they do go there though, I expect that it won't be awhile because they have a lot of things that they could cover first, and I would be afraid that if they try to attempt a "will they/or won't they?" kind of storyline that drags out people will get annoyed, or it will be like some other shows where once the main couple got together, the show went downhill. 

• Love 5
On 10/6/2017 at 9:59 AM, peachmangosteen said:

I would be shocked if they don't put Courtney and Valentina together. That's just TV 101.

Probably depends if they get beyond the initial 13.

I liked it.  The actress who plays the Chief of Staff bugs me, and initially I don't love her character either.  So we'll have to see if I can overcome that to keep watching.  But overall, while predictable, I enjoyed the premiere and will keep watching for now.