Type keyword(s) to search

Good Times - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I actually wondered briefly before I looked carefully if this forum was for a reboot. I mean after One Day At A Time, this is the show from that era that makes the most sense for one. Even with the way JJ took over the whole show, it still had a very solid base.  One that still holds up. A very generic one too, I suppose, but the point is that life in a housing project... And a version that shows them as real people you can identify with... It's just as relevant now. 

Gotta think more on specific episodes. Been too long since I've seen the show. 

• Love 2
(edited)

They didn't handle the whole Carl Dixon union well. After James's death/Mr. Amos's firing, one of  Miss Rolle's biggest sticking points was how they pushed Florida into getting courted by/ then engaged to Mr.  Dixon just months after her husband's death. When Miss Rolle didn't return the next season, they wrote Florida off by saying that she had moved to Arizona to tend to her ailing new husband's health leaving her teen kids and JJ behind in Chicago. Evidently the idea of a mother leaving their kids to fend for themselves with Willona across the hall to 'chaperone' them made Miss Rolle furious so when the producers asked her to return to the show, she insisted that Carl not be back on the show. This meant that when Florida heard the news of Thelma's impending wedding, she not only decided to return for the wedding itself but also to move back in permanently. Oddly enough, she gave a book to Michael  upon her return(though nothing to Thelma) from both herself and Carl and that was the very last mention of Carl. I believe there was a brief scene that got cut out from future broadcasts in which Florida silently acknowledged his implied passing but other than that. Nothing. She would always be formally referred to as 'Mrs. Evans' NEVER 'Mrs. Dixon' from that point onwards.

Edited by Blergh
missed not
  • Love 2
(edited)

I also believe Carl Dixon was an atheist(and as a practicing Christian, Miss Rolle felt that marrying him would have been  totally out of character for Florida).

Edited by smittykins
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, smittykins said:

I also believe Carl Dixon was an atheist(and as a practicing Christian, Miss Rolle felt that marrying him would have been  totally out of character for Florida).

Yes, and I have to agree with that. On an admittedly shallow note, on looks alone it would have seemed more like Mr. Dixon would have been interested in Florida than James, though.

Perhaps the saddest irony of James's death was that (as in the case of Queen Victoria after Prince Albert's death) it seemed NO ONE called her by her given name anymore (and that had been ALL she'd been called in her earlier "Maude" incarnation). Even her supposed same age peer bestie Willona only called her 'Flo' and everyone else seemed to call her 'Mama' or 'Mrs. Evans'.

• Love 2

I loved this show when I was a kid and I appreciate it even more as an adult. Still makes me laugh, like literal out loud laughing. Its held up well over the years. I still love the James episodes more than the later ones but on the whole this is one of my favorite tv shows of all time. I still quote "The brown cow has speckled spots" or more appropriately "The BR-owwwn Cowwwww has SPECKled SPots!"

• Love 3

I love this show as well watched it as a child and still do from time to time. James was my favorite character, John Amos just played him so well, strict but loving which reminds me of my mother.

Florida the Woman episode. OMG James & Thelma were just being ridiculous at the beginning of the episode. Especially Thelma who was being flat out lazy, not only did she take the bathroom from JJ but asking Florida if she pressed her dress, asking if Florida seen her make-up kit and hairspray. I was like damn did your eyes and arms all of a sudden stopped working. Thelma couldn't see that Florida was fixing James' shirt and making breakfast at the same time. 

• Love 2
On 9/15/2018 at 5:47 PM, cfinboston said:

The episode where JJ has VD. 

I remember an episode about this, but I think it was that JJ thought he might have contracted VD.  His paramour claimed she had it and claimed he gave it to her.  Later JJ was found to be clean which meant it was the girl's current football boyfriend that gave it to her.

• Love 1
On 9/15/2018 at 5:47 PM, cfinboston said:

The episode where JJ has VD.  Michael calls him out because he notes that there's only two entries on that page in the health book, "and I know you ain't getting a vasectomy".

15 minutes ago, magicdog said:

I remember an episode about this, but I think it was that JJ thought he might have contracted VD.  His paramour claimed she had it and claimed he gave it to her.  Later JJ was found to be clean which meant it was the girl's current football boyfriend that gave it to her.

The most  astonishing thing about watching that episode now is realizing the guy JJ talks to in the clinic is played by a young Jay Leno!

leno-good-times.jpg?quality=95&w=650&h=4

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

Does anyone know where I can buy a copy of the Ernie Barnes "Evans Family" painting from the first 3 seasons?  I can't find it anywhere.  Sugar Shack is available, but I really want the family shot.  

Can anyone help me out with the last few eps? I have been capturing all of the shows and doing a rewatch. “End of the Rainbow” seemed to be a fitting finish to the series. Then my DVR picked up two MORE eps so far that it shows came AFTER “Rainbow.” One is “Cousin Raymond” and the other is something like “Evans Family Dilemma.” Are those 2 of the 3 eps that never aired? It makes no sense that they are after “Rainbow,” and they ignore established plot developments (like Keith rehabbing and going back to the Bears). Thanks!