Type keyword(s) to search

A.P. Bio in the Media

New NBC Comedy "A.P. Bio" Premieres Two Episodes on Digital Platforms

"A.P. Bio" will launch as a special preview on NBC Thursday, Feb. 1 at 9:30 p.m. ET/PT with "Will & Grace" as its lead-in. The following two episodes (along with the pilot) will be available across digital platforms, including the NBC App, Hulu and those run by NBC owned and affiliated stations, beginning Feb 2, one day after the show debuts on the network.

On 5/9/2018 at 3:12 PM, chitowngirl said:

And is the whole series going to take place during the same school year?

Complete with casual jokes about how the students look like they're 25.

I have no idea how they would deal with this problem long term. They could be within the same school year for 1-2 more seasons, or cause all the students to fail and have to retake the class (and you know, he's not teaching them, and they have to take an A.P. test, so it's not unlikely). Then what? Move to the local community college and start a Spanish study group? I don't know, but it is clear to everyone that the students interacting with Jack is by far the best part of the show.

I always figured they were trying to do with the other teachers what the Katydids did with Teachers. That's an amusing and occasionally cringe-worthy show on TVLand about a group of very different women teachers. AP Bio isn't pulling it off, but I'm glad the show is back for a second season. More of the kids! Less of the teachers. Leave the teachers to TEACHERS (season 3 trailer)!

It never fails to amuse me how people like different things. On another board I am on, a lot of posters want more of Patton and the teachers and less of the kids.  No matter what you can never please everyone.

• Love 2

I'm really surprised that this show got renewed and "Great News" did not. "Great News" is an ensemble sitcom in the vein of "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" or "30 Rock", with a large cast of characters and an open-ended premise that can keep going and going (the wacky goings-on in a TV newsroom). Whereas this show has a premise that is very limiting, as other people have pointed out here. I guess ultimately NBC probably wanted to keep a relationship going with Lorne Michaels and Seth Meyers, who produce this show and are probably valued higher at NBC than Tina Fey/Robert Carlock, 

I am totally amazed every time I see that this show has been renewed. It's horrible. It may be well done but it's a horrible premise and so unrealistic that I've decided that the teacher (yes, I've watched every episode and don't remember anyone's name) is a wizard and has cast a spell over everyone to get away with his interactions with these children. And, yes, it is funny, and I do catch myself chuckling now and then, but somehow I feel dirty after.

It's not that I don't like inappropriate humor, after all, I've enjoyed watching The Mick and The Detour, both comedies containing children exposed to inappropriate shenanigans but the premise of both of these shows seem more realistic to me than a teacher getting away with not teaching, and not even allowing students to study the subject he's been hired to teach.

I'll continue to watch, mostly because Mr. AngelKitty likes it, but now in my mind it's called Evil Wizard Teacher.

(edited)

Just finished binge watching. It had ups and downs but I thought it was better than most current comedies, and yes I  know that's not saying much. It's like an offbeat hybrid of Community and School of Rock. I thought for sure it would be canceled but with a second season they have a chance to tighten the screws and play up what works.  I actually got a kick out of Principal Durbin, the teachers and their B plot shenanigans, in small doses. When they interacted with Jack was of course when they were at their best. A lot of their scenes did feel like a carbon copy of "Teachers." The break room is damn near identical. But when even less people watch that show than this show, does it really matter? Paula Pell as Helen was the stand out for me. She had me cracking up pretty much any time she opened her mouth. The "kids" are also hilarious and play really well off of Howerton. There are so many different personalities in that room and all of them offer something valuable to the plot and Jack. 

I wonder how they'll play out the series. I can't see one school year of AP Bio stretching throughout the entire series unless it doesn't survive past this next season or two. They could have the kids all fail and retake the course, that would suck. More likely by the end of season 2 Jack realizes how important it is for these kids to ace the test and he kicks teaching them Bio into high gear. We know from the pig dissection episode he's more than capable. Then next year who knows? AP Chemistry? But the show is called AP Bio...I'll insert here that I think this show having such a shit name didn't help its chances any. Why not "Mr. Griffin,"Jack," or even "Advanced Placement." 

Jack also needs a more prominent will they/won't they love interest at the actual school. A Diane to his Sam, so to speak. I wasn't crazy about the ex-girlfriend, I'd prefer someone with a bit more attitude like him to keep him on his toes, but I guess 'the moral compass that sees another side of Jack' trope works too. The fact that she is a nurse provides the perfect opportunity for the school to hire her. 

Edited by CharethCutestory
  • Love 1

NBC Announces Midseason Premiere Dates for Four Returning and Two New Series

“A.P. BIO” – THURSDAY, MARCH 7 (8:30-9 P.M.)

After losing out on a chance to get out of Toledo and into his dream job at a prestigious university in Season 1, disgraced Harvard philosophy professor Jack Griffin (Glenn Howerton) remains determined to get out of town and regain prominence in the academic world. To do this, Jack decides to begin work on a book detailing a new philosophical thesis. This thesis will require him to immerse himself in Toledo more than ever before while continuing to enlist the help of his students and friends at Whitlock – including Principal Durbin (Patton Oswalt). Jack will also find himself intellectually challenged and charmed by a woman he meets in the last place he’d expect: the payroll department of Whitlock High.

The cast also includes Lyric Lewis, Mary Sohn, Jean Villepique and Paula Pell.

“A.P. Bio” is written and executive produced by Mike O’Brien. Seth Meyers, Mike Shoemaker, Andrew Singer and Lorne Michaels also serve as executive producers. “A.P. Bio” is produced by Universal Television, Broadway Video and Sethmaker Shoemeyers Productions.

“A.P. Bio” retained 100% of NBC’s year-earlier results in the timeslot in adults 18-49 (1.0 vs. 1.0, L+7 versus regular original entertainment programming) and grew by +5% in total viewers (3.123 million vs. 2.985 million). “A.P. Bio” generated one of the most highly educated audiences among Big 4 primetime shows last season, indexing at a 148 among adults 18-49 with four or more years of college to tie for #4 among primetime series on the Big 4 networks.