Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

Yeah, not to diss Jeanine but she honestly doesn't seem bright enough for any of that. This is the woman who thought her commander was in love with her and would take her and her baby away to be a family. She also periodically lapses into fairly severe mental illness where others have to take care of her. June isn't exactly a great rebel leader but Jeanine really can't take her place because Jeanine is unstable and not terribly bright.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, EllaWycliffe said:

Yeah, not to diss Jeanine but she honestly doesn't seem bright enough for any of that. This is the woman who thought her commander was in love with her and would take her and her baby away to be a family. She also periodically lapses into fairly severe mental illness where others have to take care of her. June isn't exactly a great rebel leader but Jeanine really can't take her place because Jeanine is unstable and not terribly bright.

Very true, but Janine will now know more about the "outside" world than any other living handmaid.  She knows more about Mayday, and other groups outside of both Gilead and Mayday, out there surviving.  She knows that Gilead is bombing the rebels.

So, even with her delightfully and at times sadly hopefulness and naivete, she'll be one of the most informed handmaids around.  She also has that weird bond with Lydia, which could end up being very valuable in several ways.

Among other things, I think Lydia will want to know everything Janine has seen, and will want her kept alive.  I'll assume that happens by something like saying June kidnapped her.

Personally, I'd hope for Canada and freedom for her, but for story, she'd be more valuable in Gilead, interacting with Lydia and the new handmaids.

• Love 1
(edited)

Assuming it's ok to reference the testaments since this is a spoiler thread--it's possible Lydia makes Janine her first Aunt-in-training. Maybe a Pearl Girl. This would be a small mercy to keep one of "her" girls safe and be the beginning of Lydia as a quadruple agent. She is not happy with the wicked men of Gilead and she just revealed she has a shit ton of intelligence to Joseph.

Edited by The Mighty Peanut
  • Useful 1
2 minutes ago, The Mighty Peanut said:

Assuming it's ok to reference the testaments since this is a spoiler thread--it's possible Lydia makes Janine her first Aunt-in-training. Maybe a Pearl Girl. This would be a small mercy to keep one of "her" girls safe and be the beginning of Lydia as a quadruple agent. She is not happy with the wicked men of Gilead and she just revealed she has a shit ton of intelligence to Joseph.

I don't think a sinner can be made a powerful aunt.  Janine had an abortion, and she's fertile as well.  IF she's back in Gilead proper?  Pretty sure she'll be a handmaiden.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Umbelina said:

I don't think a sinner can be made a powerful aunt.  Janine had an abortion, and she's fertile as well.  IF she's back in Gilead proper?  Pretty sure she'll be a handmaiden.

I agree, it's just wishful thinking I suppose that Lydia would acknowledge her mental illness and behavior with Charlotte and convince the powers that be that she has bad genes and would be better serving Gilead in that capacity.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Umbelina said:

There have been so many references to the Nighthawks, a group we have yet to meet, that I think Janine is going to end up with them.  At least before she returns to Gilead, if she ever does.  I don't see how Gilead would ever find her in the chaos.  She looks just like everyone else in that huge pile of rubble.

Maybe that was one reason why Lawrence arranged for Chicago to be bombed... to turn it into such chaos that it would be difficult to locate anyone.

• Love 1

Not a spoiler, but a guess based on spoilers.

If no more sanctioned "humanitarian" help is going to come from Canada, as Oona indicated.  June will make sure it does, hopefully with Moira helping.  

The guilt would kill June, her getting out, and the others stuck with no help at all.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I look forward to June tearing into Serena, which looks like it's going to happen in Episode 7.  But I am a little disappointed that the moment with Serena on the floor weeping won't take place after she has learned (1) Fred has been sentenced to die, (2) she can't keep her baby, and (3) she will be sent back to Gilead to be overseen by Aunt Lydia.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, The Mighty Peanut said:

I'd say that if Aunt Lydia gets her hands on Janine, she could end up using her as a sort of poster child. Gilead is about to be on the receiving end of a serious PR blow now that June is in Canada, where she can speak and be heard. Aunt Lydia could try to convince the Commanders that they are better off not exacting reprisals against Janine for running away with June, and instead making a show of their mercy.

I would say that Janine is going to be made a Handmaid again. One thing they've been adamant about is that they can't spare any Handmaid. However, one possibility is that, instead of sending her to a household or to a Magdalene colony, Aunt Lydia could lobby for Janine to stay at the Red Centre. She could also be included in Aunt Lydia's new approach to training Handmaids.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, greekmom said:

Guys I hate it if they went there but in the new promo "Home" there is a shot of a Handmaid at the 18 second mark. Does it look like Janine?!?! 

THT Home.gif

The fact that they zeroed in on this specific handmaid... sigh.  It probably is Janine.

I just don't get how they would even find her in the chaos.  Maybe she turned herself in to get more food/safety.

2 hours ago, greekmom said:

Guys I hate it if they went there but in the new promo "Home" there is a shot of a Handmaid at the 18 second mark. Does it look like Janine?!?! 

THT Home.gif

Janine has blue eyes, but depending on the lighting, they might look darker. I'd have said that the eye colour and eyebrows were more like Alma, but it can't be her.

You know what we have not seen? Is where are the Martha's trained? There must be a training facility like the Red Centre on how to cook, clean and do all the duties that Marthas do.  I mean they are property like the Handmaids.  Show you missed an opportunity. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, greekmom said:

You know what we have not seen? Is where are the Martha's trained? There must be a training facility like the Red Centre on how to cook, clean and do all the duties that Marthas do.  I mean they are property like the Handmaids.  Show you missed an opportunity. 

Very true.

Some prior knowledge is an advantage, but not a necessity, if the way June was able to select five women to become Marthas is any indication.

They would not only need to learn the various domestic duties of a Martha, they would also need to learn to bake and cook from memory, since they aren’t allowed to read. Or maybe there are picture books of recipes for Marthas, with images of ingredients next to images of cups or spoons to signify quantities (bag of flour next to two cups), symbols for actions like cream, beat, knead, etc, and pictures of clocks with time shaded in, and they need to learn how to interpret these instructions. 

I also imagine that Marthas are instructed in the kind of behaviour that they need to report.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, ReganX said:

Janine has blue eyes, but depending on the lighting, they might look darker. I'd have said that the eye colour and eyebrows were more like Alma, but it can't be her.

Looks like Alma’s eyes. I imagine she’s flashing back on certain things.

• Love 1
(edited)

This is from a YouTube commenter who claims to have seen stills and read episode synopses without providing a source so I can't vouch for it, but it tracks.

The spelling and grammar are barely decipherable so I'll summarize:

Janine is captured alive by Gilead soldiers and sent back to the Red Centre where she is reunited with Aunt Lydia. Lydia is a little obsessed with Janine. Janine is surprised to encounter *Mrs Keyes*, who apparently has been forced to become a Handmaid. Janine begins to emerge as a leader, albeit scattered and hapless. According to this person she orchestrates a handmaid hunger strike.

The shot of the handmaid at loaves and fishes from the preview is Alma from a flashback.

Again, I can't confirm any of this but it sounds reasonable.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, The Mighty Peanut said:

This is from a YouTube commenter who claims to have seen stills and read episode synopses without providing a source so I can't vouch for it, but it tracks.

Episode 8 follows Janine who is captured alive by Gilead soldiers and sent back to the Red Centre where she is reunited with Aunt Lydia. Lydia is a little obsessed with Janine. Janine is surprised to encounter *Mrs Keyes*, who apparently has been forced to become a Handmaid. Janine begins to emerge as a leader, albeit scattered and hapless. According to this person she orchestrates a handmaid hunger strike.

The shot of the handmaid at loaves and fishes from the preview is Alma from a flashback.

Does sound like plausible stuff.

Oh, Mrs. Keyes. I mean, we knew it wouldn't be good for her, but ugh. I like the actor and would be interested in seeing where the character goes, but I also feel like she's been through enough and just want to think of her petting kittens. 

I like Janine as a scattered, hapless leader, because I feel like there's no way to actually "lead" things well in this situation, so a handmaid hunger strike? Sure, man. I hope they play the Temple of the Dog song. I love Janine and am just glad to have hope that she's still alive. 

I am so torn about Aunt Lydia. She's horrible, but I love her. I guess I'm Janine? Officially, Aunt Lydia is the worst, but Ann Dowd is amazing and is a joy to watch, and the character is fascinating. Really interested to see more of Lydia.

And yet we still have no more word yet on What Nick Did, lol. If they just wrote him off without a word, the show wouldn't suffer. That's how much they've bungled the unbelievable potential of his character. I reserve the right to disagree with myself if they pull some Nick rabbit out of their hats during the next 4 eps.  

• Love 5
18 hours ago, Stiggs said:

Oh, Mrs. Keyes. I mean, we knew it wouldn't be good for her, but ugh. I like the actor and would be interested in seeing where the character goes, but I also feel like she's been through enough and just want to think of her petting kittens.

What interests me about Mrs. Keyes is that, if she married a Commander rather than a lower-ranking solider, her father (natural or otherwise) is presumably highly placed in the regime. How are her parents going to react to their daughter being made a Handmaid?

• Love 2
(edited)

Here's a very mildly spoilery article about Mrs. Keyes. I'll link it but the TL;DR is she "makes a dark and dramatic return".

I think this points to the random YouTuber commenter I saw that said they had seen a still of Janine and Esther together at the red center being right. Her husband died, she committed crimes (in the eyes of Gilead), she's young and fertile, and her crazy is the polar opposite of Janine's. 

I'm here for it.

https://www.distractify.com/p/what-happened-to-esther-keyes-handmaids-tale

• Love 4
3 hours ago, ReganX said:

What interests me about Mrs. Keyes is that, if she married a Commander rather than a lower-ranking solider, her father (natural or otherwise) is presumably highly placed in the regime. How are her parents going to react to their daughter being made a Handmaid?

If they're Gilead loyalists, probably about as well as when Eden told her father she was in love with someone her own age. IIRC that POS turned her in to be drowned, and Waterfuck comforted him by reminding him he had a son.

I question what the parents could do. The commander Janine thought was in love with her got his hand chopped off for a blowjob.

I hope my tone doesn't seem harsh--I promise it's not directed at you. I am too deeply invested in this show and I want the Commanders and higher ups to get what's coming to them.

• Love 5
On 5/21/2021 at 10:32 AM, The Mighty Peanut said:

Janine is captured alive by Gilead soldiers and sent back to the Red Centre where she is reunited with Aunt Lydia. Lydia is a little obsessed with Janine. Janine is surprised to encounter *Mrs Keyes*, who apparently has been forced to become a Handmaid. Janine begins to emerge as a leader, albeit scattered and hapless. According to this person she orchestrates a handmaid hunger strike.

I can believe this, but I'm also skeptical.  What "episode synopses" would the YouTube commenter have gotten their hands on?  The typical synopsis available to the public is always vague.  How could they tell from episode stills that "Janine begins to emerge as a leader, albeit scattered and hapless"? 

• Love 2
(edited)
13 minutes ago, Brn2bwild said:

I can believe this, but I'm also skeptical.  What "episode synopses" would the YouTube commenter have gotten their hands on?  The typical synopsis available to the public is always vague.  How could they tell from episode stills that "Janine begins to emerge as a leader, albeit scattered and hapless"? 

Some reviewers have already seen the entire season, so perhaps the youtuber knows one of them, or snooped.  (One spoiler I posted above was from a review that said the back half of this season, from VOWS on, was great.)

SO Glad Esther is going to be back!  yay!

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 2

I mean, I totally buy Mrs Keyes the 14 year old wife gets turned into a Handmaid rape tool because we're watching a show that likes to shock and what hasn't been done? Child rape!

But Janine as a leader? I like Janine, she's a delightful winged nut, but she periodically likes Aunt Lydia who had her eye torn out. I get that she's damaged but she's got the judgement of a five year old. Also, I personally call bullshit on Janine being allowed anywhere near compliant Handmaids - why wouldn't she end up at the rape farm as origanally planned?

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, EllaWycliffe said:

I mean, I totally buy Mrs Keyes the 14 year old wife gets turned into a Handmaid rape tool because we're watching a show that likes to shock and what hasn't been done? Child rape!

But Janine as a leader? I like Janine, she's a delightful winged nut, but she periodically likes Aunt Lydia who had her eye torn out. I get that she's damaged but she's got the judgement of a five year old. Also, I personally call bullshit on Janine being allowed anywhere near compliant Handmaids - why wouldn't she end up at the rape farm as origanally planned?

Esther Keyes has already talked of being raped, multiple times actually.

As for Janine?  Aunt Lydia has always had a soft spot for Janine, so I think she'd keep her around and just blame June for leading her astray.

As for Janine as a leader?  She's now had more experience that any of the handmaids she'll be with.  She's seen Chicago.  She knows about Mayday.  She helped get 86 kids and 9 Martha's out of Gilead.  Damaged or not, she's kind of a natural for that position, by experience alone.  I don't think that means she'll be a GOOD leader.  🙃  A leader though?  I can see that.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

Esther Keyes has already talked of being raped, multiple times actually.

Yes but the show likes to shock so we'll probably see it. Not a spoiler but I bet she dies badly.

4 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

As for Janine?  Aunt Lydia has always had a soft spot for Janine, so I think she'd keep her around and just blame June for leading her astray.

Janine was already sentenced to the rape farm when she escaped while helping assault an Aunt and got four other handmaids killed. Why would she be sent back to Boston instead of serving her original sentence? I strongly suspect the show will do this  but it makes absolutely no sense for Gilead authorities to show mercy to an incredibly problematic handmaid - she's nearly killed a baby in her suicide attempt, she's assisted in the kidnapping of 86 children, she *escaped* and got more handmaids killed. But an Aunt has a soft spot for her so fuck it, she's back for a new house and Commander? 

9 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

She's now had more experience that any of the handmaids she'll be with.  She's seen Chicago.  She knows about Mayday.  She helped get 86 kids and 9 Martha's out of Gilead. 

You've just outlined exactly why Janine would never be allowed back into regular service. She's nuts but she knows too much. 

I grant that Gilead is a ridiculous mess of organization but this defies reason when we ALSO know that chaining a woman to a bed and forcing her to bear a child in isolation IS in Gilead's bag of tricks. 

• Love 3

I do think it will be very interesting to see a wife become and handmaid though.  I think this actress will be able to handle that.

Even though her marriage was horrible, she IS used to having power, and status.  I don't imagine she will take well to having to be submissive, let alone to all the rest of it.  I hope she keeps her eyes and fingers.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

I do think it will be very interesting to see a wife become and handmaid though.  I think this actress will be able to handle that.

Even though her marriage was horrible, she IS used to having power, and status.  I don't imagine she will take well to having to be submissive, let alone to all the rest of it.  I hope she keeps her eyes and fingers.

What would be awesome was if this was a precursor to Serena becoming a handmaid.  I can dream, can't I?

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, Brn2bwild said:

What would be awesome was if this was a precursor to Serena becoming a handmaid.  I can dream, can't I?

Maybe we can do just a week in a commanders house where she has her baby taken from her, become a handmaid and live like she was less than, participate in a ceremony, let her experience the rape that all the handmaids have had to endure, see how she likes it then be made to work at Jezebel's then off to live with the un women shovel radio active dirt.

I think she would denounce Fred and Gilead in a heartbeat having to go thru all that.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Brn2bwild said:

Scattered and hapless was me translating, not a verbatim quote. :) This person heavily implied insider knowledge, I should probably just have pasted the comment instead of summing up. With that being said, it also might be complete bullshit. 

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, The Mighty Peanut said:

Scattered and hapless was me translating, not a verbatim quote. :) This person heavily implied insider knowledge, I should probably just have pasted the comment instead of summing up. With that being said, it also might be complete bullshit. 

Except at least one major reviewer had seen the complete series before we'd even seen episode 4.  I quoted them in the media thread somewhere, specifically about how good the season is from VOWS until the end.

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, EllaWycliffe said:

Yes but the show likes to shock so we'll probably see it. Not a spoiler but I bet she dies badly.

(re Esther Keys)

The actress is 14 or 15 (born in 2006). There's no way they're going to film a rape scene. 

Edited by akr
  • Love 2
(edited)

There's a still of Mrs. Keyes and Janine in handmaid garb in an unidentified sterile-looking location on at least one Handmaid's Tale community on Reddit -- I don't know how either get there but that basic tidbit is correct.

Edited by lavenderblue
  • Love 3
(edited)

Another trailer. Esther Keyes is definitely a handmaid (she is shown sitting in a chair with Lydia behind her) and Janine is back in handmaid garb scrubbing floors at the Red Center. It appears Esther may be on the pregnancy chain Lydia threatened June with but it's hard to see. Whoever it is isn't showing yet if she's pregnant and the woman is definitely slight and fair (and young) enough to be Esther but idk...I considered that it might be a flashback but IIRC the woman on the chain that we saw before was heavily pregnant.

Lydia is back to her nearly masturbatory joy as Handmaid torturer in chief. Considering she was nearly beaten to death, and that she blackmailed Lawrence, and her seemingly new take on the wickedness of men, it is strange that she still takes so much pleasure in beating down the handmaids. I was hoping we would see the beginnings of Lydia as a triple agent but...I don't think it's going to happen this season. 

I am sure that Lydia will be making examples out of Esther and Janine since they followed June. My question is will she use the carrot or the stick...does she try to make them so miserable they blame June for their torture and hate her enough to warn off the other HMs from taking June's example, or does she up the brainwashing to get "her" girls permanently back and under her control while making it seem a decision of their own volition in order to prove a point to June and herself.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I took a screen grab (yeah i know its not the best) and the Handmaid doesn't look like Esther. But the actress' IMBD does say she's going to be in episode 8 "Testimony" and the synopsis for the episode does state: "Lawrence presents Aunt Lydia with a newly captured, familiar Handmaid." which either can mean Esther or Janine. 

At this point I really do not know what Lawrence's game is at this point.

thumbnail (3).jpg

• Love 2
(edited)

Wish I found this 8 weeks ago. All synopses have been true so I assume this is too. Link to reddit thread included:

E8 - June testifies at a court proceeding to decide if the Waterfords will face charges; Lawrence confronts Lydia and gets to her admit she objects to Gilead, then tells her Janine has been re-captured and to maybe think about doing something besides hurting her/people in general (like ahem letting her escape)

https://www.reddit.com/r/coconutsandtreason/comments/mwgrda/seen_the_first_eight_episodes_of_s4_as_press_a/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

ETA: Just going through some of HandmaidHavens post history and I found this...I think it must be in reference to the refugee support group where an Aunt visits:

It is the Aunt who turned her [Emily] in for having a relationship with a Martha. After she tries to speak to Emily at one of the Gilead support group meetings, June brings her in and asks why she deserves forgiveness. After Emily says there’s nothing she can do to fix the situation, the Aunt is found hanging the next day.

• Love 2
(edited)

For some reason I am unable to edit my previous post, my apologies. Here are some tidbits from the Reddit spoiler thread I found the most interesting. Looks like I missed copying the best one which was an affirmative answer that YES June does address the Fred/SJ labor induction rape and apparently it is very powerful. If someone else wants to be a hero and find it, be my guest. :) Here's the other bits, bracketed words are mine for clarity but everything else is copied from a redditor called HandmaidHaven, in some cases I copied the question directed to them: 

After June and her split in E6 (following Gilead’s bombing on Chicago before a 24 hour ceasefire, spearheaded by Lawrence), she [Janine] is recaptured and Aunt Lydia learns about this in E8.

She meets Janine at the interrogation center, and Janine pleads not to be a handmaid. Lydia cries, hugs her and says, “Whatever are we going to do with you?”

Lawrence calls her [Lydia] out on it; he says she “enjoys inflicting pain” because it’s an “outlet” (for her being forced to serve Gilead); she understands what he means when he tells her to find another way of taking her anger out.

Why are they protesting in favour of the Waterfords in Canada? 
This is after Fred interrupts June [during her testimony] and goes on a weird speech about how Gilead’s fucked up ways actually work, and the proof is Serena’s baby. As they head to the court for another meeting, both of them hear the “protestors” and are a bit shocked to learn they are actually supporters. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, The Mighty Peanut said:

For some reason I am unable to edit my previous post, my apologies. Here are some tidbits from the Reddit spoiler thread I found the most interesting. Looks like I missed copying the best one which was an affirmative answer that YES June does address the Fred/SJ labor induction rape and apparently it is very powerful. If someone else wants to be a hero and find it, be my guest. :) Here's the other bits, all are copied from a redditor called HandmaidHaven: 

After June and her split in E6 (following Gilead’s bombing on Chicago before a 24 hour ceasefire, spearheaded by Lawrence), she is recaptured and Aunt Lydia learns about this in E8.

She meets Janine at the interrogation center, and Janine pleads not to be a handmaid. Lydia cries, hugs her and says, “Whatever are we going to do with you?”

Lawrence calls her (Lydia) out on it; he says she “enjoys inflicting pain” because it’s an “outlet” (for her being forced to serve Gilead); she understands what he means when he tells her to find another way of taking her anger out.

Why are they protesting in favour of the Waterfords in Canada? 
This is after Fred interrupts June and goes on a weird speech about how Gilead’s fucked up ways actually work, and the proof is Serena’s baby. As they head to the court for another meeting, both of them hear the “protestors” and are a bit shocked to learn they are actually supporters. 

Wait, supporters of Gilead?

(edited)
9 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

Wait, supporters of Gilead?

Yes. You know the shot of the person with the "free the Waterfords" sign? Apparently there are some dumbass Canadians who are pro-Gilead or at least sympathize with the Waterfords.

It's weird but not that surprising imo, I won't name names bc I don't want to go to primetimer jail but the U.S. has had it's share of *interesting* political figures who would fit in well in Gilead. I suppose Canada isn't immune from the insanity.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, The Mighty Peanut said:

Yes. You know the shot of the person with the "free the Waterfords" sign? Apparently there are some dumbass Canadians who are pro-Gilead or at least sympathize with the Waterfords.

It's weird but not that surprising imo, I won't name names bc I don't want to go to primetimer jail but the U.S. has had it's share of *interesting* political figures who would fit in well in Gilead. I suppose Canada isn't immune from the insanity.

Poor Canada is busting at the seams. Those who want to leave to go to Gilead and are protesting should be escorted to the boarder and ready for rape, torture and multination.

I don't understand how with all the proof that Gilead is a terrible place would anyone be pro-Gilead??

• Love 1
(edited)

Gilead is a "return to traditional values". No pesky free elections, no confusing pronouns, no SJWs. Lots of cancel culture but hey it's fine when your guys do the cancelling.

I can see people telling themselves that only the wrong sort of people end up HMs. Homewreckers, criminals, addicts...they deserve it right? 🙄

• Love 5

Not a spoiler but a wish.  I am hoping we do see a full episode  in the end of the series of the Symposium on Gileadean Studies which is held as part of the International Historical Association Convention at the Uni of Deny in Nunavit. 

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, greekmom said:

Not a spoiler but a wish.  I am hoping we do see a full episode  in the end of the series of the Symposium on Gileadean Studies which is held as part of the International Historical Association Convention at the Uni of Deny in Nunavit. 

Both of them!

On 5/20/2021 at 1:34 AM, ReganX said:

They would not only need to learn the various domestic duties of a Martha, they would also need to learn to bake and cook from memory, since they aren’t allowed to read. Or maybe there are picture books of recipes for Marthas, with images of ingredients next to images of cups or spoons to signify quantities (bag of flour next to two cups), symbols for actions like cream, beat, knead, etc, and pictures of clocks with time shaded in, and they need to learn how to interpret these instructions. 

By my recollection Marthas were "unwomen" with cooking and domestic experience prior to Gilead.  Non fertile/older women who did not possess those abilities went to the colonies.

2 hours ago, greekmom said:

don't understand how with all the proof that Gilead is a terrible place would anyone be pro-Gilead??

It might be Eyes who have infiltrated Canada trying to cause strife.