Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

How many more seasons are planned?  If they're incorporating The Testaments this season would serve well as a bridge between the two books.  I'm hoping to see...

1. June finally getting out of Gilead, sadly without Hannah/Agnes.

2. Lydia beginning the Ardua Hall Holograph.  I'd love to see the backstory at the Stadium but could see that pushed back to season 5.

3. The founding of the Pearl Girls.

Somewhere a time jump is going to have to occur if they plan to use all the material.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Umbelina said:

It sounds like they are following the sequel book, and yay for that, they should be able to get through the entire thing.

Boo at June being recaptured (again) but expected really.

Going by other snippets, it sounds like she eventually gets to Chicago (and sees Moira) so I'm okay with it.

Also, was thrilled to read that Janine does NOT die this season.

• Love 1

Please anyone correct me if I am wrong but doesn't SJ having a baby actually cause the Waterfords trouble if they return to Gilead?  Sex is purely for pro creation not recreation (unless you count Jezabels and that's on the down low). So these Commanders are not having sex with their wives but with the Handmaids to purely pro create.  If SJ is found pregnant then she has clearly been having sex with Fred (or someone who got her pregnant).  Then in Season 1 (or was it 2?) when June was hiding out at the Econo home. The wife who had 1 child said to her they dare not have anymore or else it would alert Gilead authorities who would put some trump up charges and she would be forced into being a Handmaid. Couldn't the same happen to SJ?

• Love 4
2 hours ago, greekmom said:

Please anyone correct me if I am wrong but doesn't SJ having a baby actually cause the Waterfords trouble if they return to Gilead?  Sex is purely for pro creation not recreation (unless you count Jezabels and that's on the down low). So these Commanders are not having sex with their wives but with the Handmaids to purely pro create.  If SJ is found pregnant then she has clearly been having sex with Fred (or someone who got her pregnant).  Then in Season 1 (or was it 2?) when June was hiding out at the Econo home. The wife who had 1 child said to her they dare not have anymore or else it would alert Gilead authorities who would put some trump up charges and she would be forced into being a Handmaid. Couldn't the same happen to SJ?

Yes, she would be in trouble, wives with handmaids are not allowed sex.  No sex is allowed except for procreation.  Unofficially of course, there is Jezebel's.

• Love 2

Weren't Serena and Fred being held separately in Canada last season? And didn't Serena try to make some kind of deal to sell out Fred and get a more lenient sentence for herself? It's not quite clear to me from the spoilers whether Serena gets pregnant by Fred, which seems unlikely under those circumstances. Joel from Parenthood did promise her fertility treatments when he tried to get her to defect on their previous trip, so maybe he came through on that and that's how she gets pregnant?

And yes, if she goes back to Gilead pregnant, she would definitely get into trouble, not least because she and Fred were already on the higher-up Commanders' shit list. I don't see her going back voluntarily, only if the US makes a deal with Gilead to return the Waterfords in exchange for a group of handmaids or other high-profile prisoners.

• Love 3

I'm in the US, I've always had to pay.  I'm liking some of these episode titles!

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/the-handmaids-tale-season-4-when-every-new-episode-comes-out.html/

Season 4 episode 1, “Pigs”—April 28

Season 4 episode 2, “Nightshade”—April 28

Season 4 episode 3, “The Crossing”—April 28

Season 4 episode 4, “Milk”—May 5

Season 4 episode 5, “Chicago”—May 12

Season 4 episode 6, “Vows”—May 19

Season 4 episode 7, “Home”—May 26

Season 4 episode 8, “Testimony”—June 2

Season 4 episode 9, “Progress”—June 9

Season 4 episode 10, “The Wilderness”—June 16

19 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Weren't Serena and Fred being held separately in Canada last season? And didn't Serena try to make some kind of deal to sell out Fred and get a more lenient sentence for herself? It's not quite clear to me from the spoilers whether Serena gets pregnant by Fred, which seems unlikely under those circumstances. Joel from Parenthood did promise her fertility treatments when he tried to get her to defect on their previous trip, so maybe he came through on that and that's how she gets pregnant?

And yes, if she goes back to Gilead pregnant, she would definitely get into trouble, not least because she and Fred were already on the higher-up Commanders' shit list. I don't see her going back voluntarily, only if the US makes a deal with Gilead to return the Waterfords in exchange for a group of handmaids or other high-profile prisoners.

Just finished my binge rewatch of the series (sigh: lockdown. What else is there to do?). 
Fred and Serena were indeed held separately, by some authority whose jurisdiction is never clearly specified.

But they slept together on their super-cool road trip inadvertently into Canada. Presumably that is when His miracle was brought forth praise be. 

• Useful 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I was thinking about watching again, and going through what I hadn't watched, but after reading spoilers for the first three episodes, and remembering how bad/torturous  some of the episodes were (re: punishment of the handmaids), I don't know if I will. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Trillian said:

Just finished my binge rewatch of the series (sigh: lockdown. What else is there to do?). 

2 hours ago, Anela said:

I was thinking about watching again, and going through what I hadn't watched, but after reading spoilers for the first three episodes, and remembering how bad/torturous  some of the episodes were (re: punishment of the handmaids), I don't know if I will. 

Yeah, this is one of the shows I couldn't bring myself to (re)watch during the pandemic. Especially in the first months I only wanted to watch comedies, then slowly eased back into dramas but nothing too gruesome. I *think* I'm ready for the new season of THT at this point, but might bail after the first episode if it's too much misery.

• Love 6
22 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

Are there any other Canadians that are as choked as I am about having to PAY to watch the 4th season on the CTV Drama Channel??

Sorry if I gave anyone a bum steer ... it IS available on my regular line-up.

3 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

According to the showrunners, we will see Alma on screen again in flashbacks.

That's great news! It would have been even better if they hadn't killed her off in the first place, but I'll take any Alma screen time that I can get.

• Love 3

‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ Review: Season 4 Is More of the Same, Until It Isn’t

And yet here I am, telling you to be patient, plow through the first five episodes, and revel in the bounty waiting on the other side. While Season 4 doesn’t transform the Hulu drama into essential TV again, for those who’ve stuck by it this long, you owe it to yourself to savor the payoffs waiting around the midway mark — as well as a handful of satisfying surprises.

That means persevering past the premiere’s initial trio of episodes. June Osborne (Elisabeth Moss) is knocking on death’s door, having successfully smuggled 80-odd children of Gilead to the safe harbor of Canada. With a wounds in need of the Rambo treatment, she and her fellow handmaids-in-flight seek refuge at a friendly farmhouse. Owned by an elderly confused Commander and run by his disturbingly young wife, June heals as quickly as she can (and with the bare minimum supplies) while her friends revel in their limited new freedom.

-----

By the season’s midway mark, almost all hope seems lost. Too many arcs are overextended, too many baffling character choices have to be overlooked. And then, Episode 6. I don’t mean to build it up like you’re going to see the next “International Assassin” or “Part 8.” The first three episodes of Season 4’s back half are not outstanding, though No. 8 is pretty damn close. They’re just good — they do what needs to be done, they do it well, and they don’t waste any time (well, they don’t waste as much time). June’s evolution pushes the series beyond the traumatic horrors of past seasons and into unsettling antihero territory. Eventually, Season 4 delivers on delayed payoffs and does so with as much urgency and, dare I say, joyous gratification as one can expect from this show.

Obviously, more at link, and oh yeah, YAY!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

Hulu's 'The Handmaid's Tale' season 4 finally envisions a future past pain and Gilead for June

MAJOR spoilers here, not just show, but sequel book The Testaments spoilers as well.

Not sure if I'm allowed to quote Testament spoilers, so, in an abundance of caution I won't.  I do think we are moving into Testament book areas now on the show, this writer agrees.

(Mods, what do you think, when show and 2nd novel spoilers merge, are they allowed in this thread?)  @ElectricBoogaloo

ETA the writer got a major thing wrong though, so I will correct that and spoiler tag it here)  It's a sequel spoiler, no idea if it will be a show spoiler.

June

Spoiler

does not "escape into the wilds of Canada" in the 2nd book, she is still fighting Gilead, mentions of her fighting in Chicago are there, and though she occasionally visits Canada, Canada is no longer safe, and June never stops fighting until they overthrow Gilead.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, greekmom said:

We see a clip where June is infront of a panel talking about justice. I am thinking she does get out of Gilead.  

Does anyone know if Janine makes it out?

I haven't seen anything about it, but I hope so, and I kind of think she would.

I can't wait until episode 6!  Sounds like it will be amazing, and then continue to be amazing through10.

• Love 1
On 5/6/2021 at 7:13 AM, greekmom said:

We see a clip where June is infront of a panel talking about justice. I am thinking she does get out of Gilead.  

The last shot we see of Janine in the trailer is of her running with June through bombed out Chicago. She's not in the clip of the boat. I really hope they don't kill her off. I'll gladly sacrifice June in her place. 

• Love 4
(edited)

More from here:  https://the-handmaids-tale.fandom.com/wiki/Geography_of_Gilead

(several of the maps here)

From Reddit, easier to find than the one in this thread, and a cleaner copy. Made from the maps at the publicity party which were dumbed down for the show, when June was hiding and ran across them.  

The borders do not look controlled at all.

akmet44wji161.png?width=1280&format=png&

Edited by Umbelina
added beginning link to more maps
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Brn2bwild said:

Where is the sneak peak?  I only see Episode 5.

ETA: Never mind.

It just showed up, it was very short though.  Hopefully the one from Israel is better.

Just now, Umbelina said:

It just showed up, it was very short though.  Hopefully the one from Israel is better.

Just watched it.  The creator of the show said Janine would not die this season, and I'm holding him to that!

It would actually be kind of funny if June spent the entire episode looking for Janine, before finally giving up and getting on the ship, only to see Janine and learn she'd been on there the entire time.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Brn2bwild said:

Just watched it.  The creator of the show said Janine would not die this season, and I'm holding him to that!

It would actually be kind of funny if June spent the entire episode looking for Janine, before finally giving up and getting on the ship, only to see Janine and learn she'd been on there the entire time.

Or Janine goes back to Steven and has a baby.  

I would love to see Janine in Canada though, so I'm hopeful for that!

• Love 1

This is sort of spoilery. It talks about some things that might be coming up. Also: It made me laugh because we've said a lot of the same.

Not-at-all-a-spoiler alert: June did not die. Elisabeth Moss is on the poster, after all. Also, killing June would qualify as "something actually happening," and that's not how this show rolls — at least, not for the last two seasons. Since 2018, June's story hasn't advanced much at all: She is forever fleeing Gilead, forever witnessing and enduring physical and psychological torture, forever staring into the middle distance — jaw set and eyes ablaze with rage and agony — determined to keep on keepin' on.

and

June's forbidden love, asks for help finding her. "Everyone that helps her ends up on the f---ing wall." Or shot, or pushed off a building, or flattened by an oncoming vehicle.

https://ew.com/tv/tv-reviews/the-handmaids-tale-season-4-review/

• Love 4
1 hour ago, mamadrama said:

This is sort of spoilery. It talks about some things that might be coming up. Also: It made me laugh because we've said a lot of the same.

Not-at-all-a-spoiler alert: June did not die. Elisabeth Moss is on the poster, after all. Also, killing June would qualify as "something actually happening," and that's not how this show rolls — at least, not for the last two seasons. Since 2018, June's story hasn't advanced much at all: She is forever fleeing Gilead, forever witnessing and enduring physical and psychological torture, forever staring into the middle distance — jaw set and eyes ablaze with rage and agony — determined to keep on keepin' on.

and

June's forbidden love, asks for help finding her. "Everyone that helps her ends up on the f---ing wall." Or shot, or pushed off a building, or flattened by an oncoming vehicle.

https://ew.com/tv/tv-reviews/the-handmaids-tale-season-4-review/

I don't know if that's really spoilery at this point, since it's all happened already.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Brn2bwild said:

I don't know if that's really spoilery at this point, since it's all happened already.

There are references to Episode 6 which has not aired yet. Erring on the side of caution is never a bad thing.

The main spoiler for this season was in that article upthread.  Starting next week, this show is supposed to really take off, and give us a ton of forward movement as well as action and various payoffs.  

That author was practically gushing.

I can't wait!

• Love 3

https://www.elle.com/culture/movies-tv/a34097322/the-handmaids-tale-season-4-news-date-cast-trailer-spoilers/

Long article with some interviews about spoilers and spoiler speculation for this season of Handmaid's Tale.  As usual, much more at link.

June’s journey, more than ever before, is about rage.

Unsurprisingly, June isn’t able to simply adjust and move on now that she’s (potentially) free from Gilead—even when there’s a pressure for her to do so. “So much of June's journey, especially in the back half of the season, is about a feeling of rage and anger, and about the desire to sweep things under the rug, the desire to say that everything is okay now…the desire to say that it’s all going to be fine and everything’s going to be all right and nothing was ever a problem and let's just forget everything that just happened,” Moss said. “June’s journey is sort of screaming into the wind, ‘We will not forget,’ and I think that’s extremely relevant.”

----

Miller spoke to this brewing revolution during a post-season 3 interview with The Hollywood Reporter. “She's not going to leave without Hannah,” he said of June's iron-clad motivation. He also addressed the severity of her actions at the end of the season: “As far as Gilead is concerned, those children are legally under their law. They're in someone else's family, they have parents. From their point of view, you’ve just taken adopted children and flown them out of the country, and some of them aren’t from people out of the country…So, I think that Gilead, from their point of view, under their set of codes, is going to be ready to go to war over this."

---

Season 4 will welcome at least one new cast member.

Besides all the main cast members, Sam Jaeger, who played a pivotal role in the season 3 finale as American representative Mark Tuello, returns as a series regular this season.

• Love 2
On 5/6/2021 at 4:13 AM, greekmom said:

I hope she gets to confront Serena and Fred!  I bet she goes back though.

On 5/10/2021 at 4:38 PM, Umbelina said:

More from here:  https://the-handmaids-tale.fandom.com/wiki/Geography_of_Gilead

(several of the maps here)

From Reddit, easier to find than the one in this thread, and a cleaner copy. Made from the maps at the publicity party which were dumbed down for the show, when June was hiding and ran across them.  

The borders do not look controlled at all.

akmet44wji161.png?width=1280&format=png&

Does anybody know if the pink areas are partly under control?  With all those red borders it seems like it would be easy to get supplies in for the war.

On 5/11/2021 at 10:53 PM, Brn2bwild said:

Wish it didn't say THIS season.  I want her to go live in Hawaii, and have twins with a cute guy.

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

Oh my.

The place I really don't want her to be is back in Gilead, under Lydia's thumb.  

However that makes perfect sense story-wise, to still have a handmaid in Gilead that we know and love.  

Dang.

I was wondering if she was back with Stephen or another rebel camp, whereas we all would prefer her to be in Canada.

• Love 2

This article from May 3 looks like it has some big spoilers:

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/season-4-the-handmaids-tale-show-janine-stepping-up-leader.html/

Janine will become a leader in ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’

Over the past three seasons, fans of The Handmaid’s Tale have watched June become more involved with the rebellion against Gilead. In the fourth season, June has stepped into the role of a leader. According to Miller, fans of The Handmaid’s Tale will also see Janine follow June’s footsteps.

“At the end of the year it’s actually Janine’s arc of leadership. She takes a lesson from June and really by the end has to take on a mantle of leadership, and she does,” Miller told Variety.

He continued, “It’s a protégé story: What does her protégé turn into? A lot of her ruling philosophy is the same as my mother’s parenting philosophy, which is, my mother just thought about what her mother would do and did the opposite.”

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Brn2bwild said:

Loving this!

Before the fourth season of The Handmaid’s Tale premiered, it was confirmed in trailers that Serena Joy Waterford (Yvonne Strahovski) is pregnant. While this storyline was teased leading up to the new season, it still has a lot of shock value.

Despite Strahovski’s nuanced performance, Serena is one of the main antagonists on the show. It is clear to fans that Serena does not deserve to raise a baby, and for The Handmaid’s Tale showrunner Bruce Miller, that is one of the main points of this new development with Serena.

Why Serena Joy is pregnant in ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’

In Gilead, infertility in men is illegal to discuss, and women are blamed for being barren. Because of this, it was always hinted that Serena could possibly conceive a child while her husband Commander Fred Waterford (Joseph Fiennes) was sterile.

Fred admits to Serena in season 3 episode 11 of The Handmaid’s Tale that he knows he is the reason the two cannot have a baby, and the two sleep together. The second episode of the fourth season, “Nightshade,” reveals that Serena is pregnant.

“We always had discussions about whether Serena was fertile because the fertility crisis really focused so much on men, and also, the more research we did on how infertility work, generally it’s a continuum, not an on-off switch, in most men,” Miller told Variety.

While speaking with Variety, Miller explained that Serena’s pregnancy will face critics of Gilead in the show to realize that some aspects of the society work at improving the birth rate.

“… the stuff they’re doing in Gilead with the environment and the water is all geared towards increasing male motility… But, I think in a lot of ways it’s the worst case scenario for the audience because they’re going, ‘Oh sh*t, Gilead works.'”

What will happen to Serena’s baby?

In The Handmaid’s Tale, Serena was instrumental in the creation of Gilead because she wanted to have a child. Miller explains that the fourth season will show Serena dealing with the complexities of her biggest wish coming true.

“… there’s always been an idea of, ‘What happens if you give characters what they want more than anything?’ and when you start out a show like this, that’s the first conversation we had,” he said. “What does she want more than anything? A baby.”

In the fourth season of The Handmaid’s Tale, both Fred and Serena are preparing to be put on trial for the crimes they committed in Gilead. Miller hopes that Serena will have her baby taken away from her like she took other women’s children in Gilead.

“… Yvonne’s an incredible actress and it’s something I was absolutely fascinated to see that character go through, both because I want her to feel all the good feelings, but also I want her to feel what it feels like to have that baby away from her and to not have control over that child,” said Miller.

• Love 1

(Same article)

Janine is not dead.

I love this one:

Overall, it feels like the fourth season is building for its fifth season, and The Handmaid’s Tale is finally beginning to look forward. While this new season still features some things that might frustrate viewers and scenes that will surely invite valid criticism, the repetitive loop of June nearly escaping Gilead only to remain a Handmaid is over.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Umbelina said:

Loving this!

Before the fourth season of The Handmaid’s Tale premiered, it was confirmed in trailers that Serena Joy Waterford (Yvonne Strahovski) is pregnant. While this storyline was teased leading up to the new season, it still has a lot of shock value.

Despite Strahovski’s nuanced performance, Serena is one of the main antagonists on the show. It is clear to fans that Serena does not deserve to raise a baby, and for The Handmaid’s Tale showrunner Bruce Miller, that is one of the main points of this new development with Serena.

Why Serena Joy is pregnant in ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’

In Gilead, infertility in men is illegal to discuss, and women are blamed for being barren. Because of this, it was always hinted that Serena could possibly conceive a child while her husband Commander Fred Waterford (Joseph Fiennes) was sterile.

Fred admits to Serena in season 3 episode 11 of The Handmaid’s Tale that he knows he is the reason the two cannot have a baby, and the two sleep together. The second episode of the fourth season, “Nightshade,” reveals that Serena is pregnant.

“We always had discussions about whether Serena was fertile because the fertility crisis really focused so much on men, and also, the more research we did on how infertility work, generally it’s a continuum, not an on-off switch, in most men,” Miller told Variety.

While speaking with Variety, Miller explained that Serena’s pregnancy will face critics of Gilead in the show to realize that some aspects of the society work at improving the birth rate.

“… the stuff they’re doing in Gilead with the environment and the water is all geared towards increasing male motility… But, I think in a lot of ways it’s the worst case scenario for the audience because they’re going, ‘Oh sh*t, Gilead works.'”

What will happen to Serena’s baby?

In The Handmaid’s Tale, Serena was instrumental in the creation of Gilead because she wanted to have a child. Miller explains that the fourth season will show Serena dealing with the complexities of her biggest wish coming true.

“… there’s always been an idea of, ‘What happens if you give characters what they want more than anything?’ and when you start out a show like this, that’s the first conversation we had,” he said. “What does she want more than anything? A baby.”

In the fourth season of The Handmaid’s Tale, both Fred and Serena are preparing to be put on trial for the crimes they committed in Gilead. Miller hopes that Serena will have her baby taken away from her like she took other women’s children in Gilead.

“… Yvonne’s an incredible actress and it’s something I was absolutely fascinated to see that character go through, both because I want her to feel all the good feelings, but also I want her to feel what it feels like to have that baby away from her and to not have control over that child,” said Miller.

Miller "hopes"? Shouldn't he know?

I feel Handmaid Serena coming by the end of the season.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I'm excited for tonight's how.  Several articles above hinted or flat out said that this episode starts us on a roller coaster ride to the finally.  No more June capture and release, the show moves along in ways we've all wanted.

On 5/15/2021 at 4:01 PM, Brn2bwild said:

I was wondering if she was back with Stephen or another rebel camp, whereas we all would prefer her to be in Canada.

I would rather she be with Steven OR even with Lydia than in a breeding colony toiling in the fields except for the occasional rape break. :(

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, The Mighty Peanut said:

I would rather she be with Steven OR even with Lydia than in a breeding colony toiling in the fields except for the occasional rape break. :(

I really think it will be with Lydia, but taking over June's role there, fighting, but carefully, to bring Gilead down.  Maybe helping with more bombings, such as the handmaid that killed many commanders and 31 handmaids.  Or being involved with the Mayday Martha organization that didn't escape on the plane June arranged.

https://the-handmaids-tale.fandom.com/wiki/Red_Center_Bombing

• Love 1