Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

Not to mention that if you're unspoiled, you don't know that Hannah isn't getting out, so you may think June is leaving as well. So only we spoiled people know that June isn't getting out. It may be a surprise to others.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, ferjy said:

Not to mention that if you're unspoiled, you don't know that Hannah isn't getting out, so you may think June is leaving as well. So only we spoiled people know that June isn't getting out. It may be a surprise to others.

She's said it on the show several times, both that Hannah has been relocated and she doesn't know where she is, and that she's not leaving without Hannah.  In addition there was the whole scene with Lawrence telling her he had no way to find Hannah.  She also told Mrs. Lawrence that Hannah wasn't going because she couldn't find her.

2 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

She's said it on the show several times, both that Hannah has been relocated and she doesn't know where she is, and that she's not leaving without Hannah.  In addition there was the whole scene with Lawrence telling her he had no way to find Hannah.  She also told Mrs. Lawrence that Hannah wasn't going because she couldn't find her.

Yes, I know all that, I do follow the show. It doesn't mean that can't change in the last episode and Hannah pops up after all. Especially with these writers. If you haven't seen the spoilers, anything goes at this point.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, ferjy said:

And what a surprise it'll surely be. 

I am actually curious about seeing how some handle the truth, that June is getting another reset to stay in Gilead. 

I have seen quite a few make the statement that if she stays then they're done with the show, so I guess we'll see. 

9 minutes ago, kieyra said:

Yep. Have seen the same thing. Casual viewers/posters think she’s getting out (surely this time, right?).

They don’t know that only Rita is getting exiled to Mandyville. 

Hah! Oh Rita, you held so much promise...

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, kieyra said:

They don’t know that only Rita is getting exiled to Mandyville. 

Poor Rita. On the bright side, Amanda will have a lot less lines to learn now. Not that she had many to begin with.

• Love 2
Just now, ferjy said:

Poor Rita. On the bright side, Amanda will have a lot less lines to learn now. Not that she had many to begin with.

She can make angry faces at Fred and Serena for a whole 2 minutes and then she'll go find more potatoes to touch tenderly. 

7 minutes ago, ferjy said:

Yes, I know all that, I do follow the show. It doesn't mean that can't change in the last episode and Hannah pops up after all. Especially with these writers. If you haven't seen the spoilers, anything goes at this point.

During her first escape attempt June was going to leave Hannah, so it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that she could be put into another do or die situation that requires her to save herself and try and go back for Hannah later. 

I've seen a lot of hopeful ideas coming from those unspoiled in different places. I really do think this finale is going to catch a number of them off guard, and it will truly shock them for that reason.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, AnswersWanted said:

I am actually curious about seeing how some handle the truth, that June is getting another reset to stay in Gilead. 

4 minutes ago, AnswersWanted said:

I've seen a lot of hopeful ideas coming from those unspoiled in different places. I really do think this finale is going to catch a number of them off guard, and it will truly shock them for that reason.

I feel sorry for them. No way was I going blind into this finale.

• Love 4

Hmm. I haven’t seen the spoiler about Janine getting out. I don’t see that happening, because the show uses Janine as June’s whipping girl. (Badass June can’t get punished physically, so Janine does.)

If Janine does get out, I guess that means she’ll live with sulky angry Luke for a few weeks, then cheerfully take her kid off to join some hippie church, never to be seen again. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, kieyra said:

If Janine does get out, I guess that means she’ll live with sulky angry Luke for a few weeks, then cheerfully take her kid off to join some hippie church, never to be seen again. 

And with Janine, Rita and Eleanor gone, just think of all the time they'll have for extra June closeups! 😬

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
10 minutes ago, kieyra said:

Hmm. I haven’t seen the spoiler about Janine getting out. I don’t see that happening, because the show uses Janine as June’s whipping girl. (Badass June can’t get punished physically, so Janine does.)

It's in the long group of spoilers on the previous page, the link that contained that Canadian airplane hanger scene photos.

The show seriously needs to step up it's scenes in Canada next season, hopefully that's in the plans.

If Janine went anywhere I'd think it would be to Emily, they've been through a lot together and Emily has been a friend/caretaker for her, while Janine has been the hopeful one.

Janine getting out with her baby would be wonderful.

Edited by Umbelina
photos
2 hours ago, Umbelina said:

June's made it very clear that she isn't leaving without Hannah and that Hannah is missing now, so I doubt it's that June isn't getting out.  We already know she isn't leaving.

WE know she's not but there are plenty out there watching right now that think Hannah will be on that plane with June.

It's a weird thing to argue about. If people want to hold onto a little bit of wishful thinking, more power to them. it doesn't mean they don't understand the show or haven't been following alone. It means they just interpreted everything a different way. 

Edited by mamadrama
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, ferjy said:

No shit, you watch the show, too? We should talk about it sometime!😉 (You know I'm teasing you.)

I don't care how many interviews she's had and what she's said. My mother is sitting right here beside me right now, totally convinced that at the last minute Hannah will show up with her Martha and they'll all leave Gilead together. And she's not the only one believing that right now. 

• Love 1

Quoting myself from yesterday. Get ready for more Janine beatings in S4. In fact, I'm going to go ahead and call it, Janine will probably die in S4, since June can't die. 

I'd also be interested in everyone's theories about how the show is going to contrive to get Serena, Fred and June back together.

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 2
(edited)

Miller is doing a ton of press today, many "reviews" have comments from him.  The most interesting thing about that is that he is well aware of the criticisms of the show, which hopefully, he will not just pay attention to, but address next season.

Anyway, this is one of those, but it does contain a spoiler for Season 4, so I'm putting it here.  

In the meantime, Miller answered a few questions fans have been asking on social media.

Where in the heck is Nick? “He’s fighting the rebels in Chicago, but not to worry, we’ll see him next season. His character is still very important. We’re as interested as the audience is and we’ll explore their relationship more.” Miller adds how season three brought June many revelations about people in Gilead. Of course, Nick’s past as one of the architects of Gilead, was of particular significance. “He’s this person she believes is good, that she loves, and yet he’s capable of doing such horrible things. So, she wonders, if he can do horrible things and not go to hell, maybe I can, as well.” This explains why she committed many of the acts she did this season, including murder.

Does Miller feel Nick really loves June? “The relationship between them was very real. This is what makes it such a problem for Nick. This was always the reason he was so worried about her finding out his past involvement in Gilead.”

Will we FINALLY meet the rebels and see the fighting?  Honestly I don't care that much about the actually fighting, but I would love to see the Americans that are still fighting for their country, and women being treated normally, fighting side by side with the men, even if they are hiding in Caves or old bomb shelters or whatever.  

We know that, in the epilogue, Gilead is brought down from within, and while the Martha's and June and Lawrence are certainly becoming part of that, along with all the other Mayday people, there are still actual wars going on by people who have remained free from Gilead laws.  I want to know how they are getting by, if they are getting supplies from the USA, all kinds of things.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 3

I remember looking on Reddit or the like about how a speculative map shows that Gilead proper is really only the Midwest and Northeast.  The rebels control most of the borders along Canada.  The South and areas east of the Rockies are where the fighting is.  By the looks of things major cities like Los Angeles, Portland and Seattle (if they weren't destroyed, do we even know TELL US ABOUT THE REST OF THE DAMN CONTINENT) were rebel controlled.  The main toxic waste colonies were shown to be where the cities of Phoenix and St. Louis were.  

Again this map was a theory based off what someone saw in an episode but rebels controlling the west coast would explain supply flow since they would likely not be part of any embargo.  It would be nice for the Americans to officially reclaim states and California, Oregon, Washington and Idaho would likely be the first they get back.

If they are going into the epilogue portion then the security in Gilead gets worse doesn't it?  I wonder if S4 will begin with a mass execution of old commanders as was explained in the book since the second generation were more devout.

Also there seems to be a trend of a major female character getting out in the finale. S1: Moira, S2: Emily, S3: Rita.  Hopefully in S4 June can get another in her circle out like Alma, Janine or Brianna.

(edited)

@kittykat

Those maps are posted in this thread too.  Maybe page 22?

Anyway, that map was actually AT one of the premiers for The Handmaid's Tale!  It was a poster outside the theater and someone got a shot of it.

So, for show purposes, it seemed official.

I think there is another nuke site around LA or San Jose Ca as well.  ETA found it and posted it below.

Edited by Umbelina

DhtYga8UcAEC19W.jpg&key=878bfb25d54e8045

You can easily blow it up and read the whole thing.

• dots are military bases
  • red are resistance zones
  • grey barrier zones with fighting
  • green nuclear accident zones
  • the wavy lines around them are contamination zones

The Rocky Mountains had strong resistance in the books, so?  The show mentioned strawberries from California and Oranges from Florida, so the map doesn't quite jive with that.  I originally found it through a link here:  https://www.postapocalypticmedia.com/handmaids-tale-map-gilead/

That link has other map screen shots as well as maps made from readers of the book.

Just bumping the map, since it looks like we may finally get more news about the resistance, what with Martha's escaping to join them and Nick heading off to fight them.  I hope he deserts and takes weapons with him to give to the Americans.

• Love 1

Weird I looked but couldn't see the link.  Thanks for bumping.

Looks like Silicon Valley and Los Angeles were taken out makes sense giving their aversion to digital tech.  But with the rebel territory vs Gilead the numbers don't match up especially if Nick is playing both sides.  By my count the rebels should be wiping the floor with Gilead with most of the borders locked in as well as a large portion of Texas and ALL of Florida.  Are England and France providing aid or are the rest of the UN barred from interfering? But how do I know because the show never explains this lest they lose out on their quota of 50 June faces an episode.

• Love 3
(edited)
3 minutes ago, kittykat said:

Weird I looked but couldn't see the link.  Thanks for bumping.

Looks like Silicon Valley and Los Angeles were taken out makes sense giving their aversion to digital tech.  But with the rebel territory vs Gilead the numbers don't match up especially if Nick is playing both sides.  By my count the rebels should be wiping the floor with Gilead with most of the borders locked in as well as a large portion of Texas and ALL of Florida.  Are England and France providing aid or are the rest of the UN barred from interfering? But how do I know because the show never explains this lest they lose out on their quota of 50 June faces an episode.

Both have major nuclear power plants, and in the book she mentioned global warming and rising seas as well.  Livermore Lab near San Jose for example.

I know!  I really want to get into the rest of the story now.  In the multiple interviews Bruce Miller did after the show though, he seems to be clinging to "it's June's story."  NO DUDE, it stopped being her story only the moment we saw things that were not possible for June to see, which was almost from the beginning.  

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, mamadrama said:

Has anyone seen anything about what S4 may offer?

The trailer shows June shopping at loaves and fishes, so all the guesses of her going underground are wrong. She seems to get away with no punishment, surprise surprise. 

4 hours ago, greekmom said:

Since Lawrence didn't die, I would love a partial episode explanation with flashbacks on how the heck he got involved in the Sons of Jacob.  

Yes but with how HORRIBLY they did with Lydia's backstory I would probably rather imagine it, that watch what they come up with. 

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, Ariam said:

The trailer shows June shopping at loaves and fishes, so all the guesses of her going underground are wrong. She seems to get away with no punishment, surprise surprise. 

Yes but with how HORRIBLY they did with Lydia's backstory I would probably rather imagine it, that watch what they come up with. 

What trailer?  Season 4 hasn't even been written yet.

• Love 2

Miller has done at least 6 interviews, he must have been very busy around the finale airing.  He hints at a few things in those interviews.

1.  More Nick, who is off fighting the rebels.

2.  Disappointingly, he doesn't seem all that interested in the people in Canada.  

3.  "Severe" consequences for June.

4.  Giant shake ups in Gilead, losing all of those children will have great impact across the board, following so closely on the heels of losing two commanders.

5.  He also hints of possible impact of Atwood's new book, being released next month, and implies Atwood approves of how they are handling the show.

6.  The book was June's story, and the show will follow the book and the focus will be on June.  Other characters only matter as far as they affect June.

(That is bullshit, he left June's POV behind in the first season, he can't pretend he didn't do that and use it as a bullshit excuse now.)

Miller, in the interviews, is obviously well aware of the criticisms, he specifically mentions race issues, in one interview, slightly petulantly, anyway, it seemed that way to me.  It felt like he was saying "I made it colorblind to we could have a diverse cast, and I don't look at color when casting various roles, so the fact that a few black characters died is the result of ME casting without paying attention to race."  (He didn't say those exact words, but it's what his response felt like to me.)  

You kind of have to read them all, since many only did "portions" of his interviews with them.  I've posted several, one here, one or two in media, and at least one in the episode thread because that one seemed more episode centered.

Googling Bruce Miller interviews and restricting it to "this week" or the day after the show will probably bring up even more.  Little tidbits of hints in most of them.

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, Brn2bwild said:

What trailer?  Season 4 hasn't even been written yet.

Hmm, I remember seeing one where she repeats something like "i did all of this" 

EDIT:
Sorry, promo, not trailer. I can't find it on youtube but it's here

Edited by Ariam
found the video clip
9 minutes ago, alexvillage said:

But the writers don't have the interest, talent or ability to write something better than a super hero soap opera

According to recent interviews with Miller, in season four

Spoiler

they'll be revisiting the Nick/June relationship.

I can't tell you how much I won't be watching that. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Ariam said:

"Lawrence prays for a cure for his wife's mental illness; God doesn't answer, so he gets mad and helps overthrow civilization."

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, kieyra said:

"Lawrence prays for a cure for his wife's mental illness; God doesn't answer, so he gets mad and helps overthrow civilization."

Love it!  Or...

"Lawrence plans a romantic evening with Eleanor, only to have her say "not tonight, dear, I have a headache", so he gets mad and helps overthrow civilization." 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, kieyra said:

Reveal spoiler

OMFG. One of the few good things about S3 is that we got to see very little of that, but if we're going back there again, I'm really, really, really not here for it. 

• Love 6

Dear Mr. Miller & THT Show writers:  Here's the deal.  I promise not to gripe about your plans to rekindle the Nick & June relationship if  you promise it will be outside the confines of what we've seen the last 3 seasons.  Let June, Janine, Alma, et al. stay at large, become part of the resistance, and leave the household plot lines behind.  We've seen enough of that, we do not need more.  Put them in some underground network outside of  Boston where they're not known, as active members of the resistance.  In that context, I'd be fine with Nick & June finding each other again and working together to bring Gilead down.  Do that and I promise I'll leave my weekly Nick-bashing behind.  Thank you.  Signed, the vast majority of your viewing audience. 

PS:  Please hire more experienced female show writers that don't have to fall back on a rape scene every time they can't think of what to do with characters. 

• Love 4

Re Nick and June ... I spent a little time on the show’s subreddit during S2. That was a mistake. It was all about the show being an epic Nick/June romance.

I have my shipper moments, but this show does not need a romance arc. And Nick was about as bland and meh as Luke.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, kieyra said:

Re Nick and June ... I spent a little time on the show’s subreddit during S2. That was a mistake. It was all about the show being an epic Nick/June romance.

I have my shipper moments, but this show does not need a romance arc. And Nick was about as bland and meh as Luke.

I enjoyed Nick and June's moments in season 1 because they were a necessary break for June. A snatched hour or two of pleasure and humanity in a life that normally consisted of long, long periods of monotony interspersed with horror, terror, grief, humiliation, rape and torture. I hated that just as she had found that release she was given the news that Luke was alive and trying to get her out because we all knew he wouldn't be getting her out and I was worried that her sense of love and loyalty to him would stop her from continuing with the tiny part of her own life that she had managed to carve out. So I was glad when she took the pragmatic approach and continued her 'relationship' with Nick. I never felt that it was about Nick in any real way, it was 100% about June choosing to steal moments where she could be June again. She didn't even fully trust him, and rightly so. This was very much how Offred was written in the book.

It continued into season 2 in the aggressive sex scene after June's first escape. She was using Nick as a release and Nick understood this. He had come to believe he genuinely love her but whatever June felt for him was always just a side effect of her being a terrified prisoner. (And his feelings would also have come from their unnatural circumstances, his guilt and pity, his desire to save someone suffering in front of him, etc.) The first time I felt June ever had genuine feelings for Nick the person was at the end of Smart Power, when Nick told her he gave the letters to Luke and that Moira was living with him. Nick had achieved her greatest wish at that point, which was to get those letters out. And then he told her about Luke, knowing it could end their relationship, because he respected her enough to tell her the whole truth no matter the cost to him. I still didn't feel she was romantically in love with him but I think it's where she first saw him as a whole person how she really could trust and formed a genuine affection for him.

And from there all of the subtlety of their relationship ended. There had been hints up to this point of the writers looking at them as star-crossed lovers (the sneaky kissing scenes in the hospital after the bombing and Eden's insertion to the plot). But overall their scenes mostly held true to Atwood's original intentions. But ever since Smart Power they were continually written just like teenagers having a forbidden love in spite of constant dog legs been thrown their way. It destroyed the subtlety and genius of the relationship Atwood had crafted because that was always mainly about how humans survive. Not about fan baiting 'ships.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, kieyra said:

Reveal spoiler

Ugh. I hear you.

I'm going to keep my eye out for any articles or interviews about S4 when they start coming out, and then I'll decide if I want to invest any time in it. I may just treat it the way I'm treating TWD now-wait until the show goes off the air and then binge it all at once.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, kieyra said:

Hide contents

I won't be a fan of that unless it's more of June convincing Nick to man up instead of a romance story.

Just had a funny thought. Next time they try to kill someone in Mayday, just before they die the victim should shout: "If they cut off one head, two more shall take its place!"  How freaked out would that make TPTB in Gilead?

This is about season 3, but I'm putting it in the spoilers section since it has things in it that may end up in season 4. @aperture on tumblr got the season 3 scripts and I guess there was quite a bit in there pertaining to Nick that got changed and/or cut. This is an all-Nick post and she says she will write about the other stuff later.

https://aperture.tumblr.com/post/188502533791/season-3-script-summaries-nick

ETA Here's a link to the reddit discussion thread where @aperture answers questions:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheHandmaidsTale/comments/dl7y9e/spoilers_s3_season_3_script_summaries_nick_scenes/

Edited by LordOfLotion
ETA discussion link where apreture answers questions
  • Love 1

I'm really getting psyched for Season 4 after watching the teaser trailers for the characters.  I had skipped over them until I realized that they were including some new stuff.  Such as:

Spoiler

Whoa, Serena got pregnant with Fred!  I just assumed she found someone else.  

And Aunt Lydia is working with Commander Lawrence!

Edited by Brn2bwild
23 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Does the whole season drop at once or one episode a week? 

Looks like it's going to be like every other season, the first three episodes dropping all at once, followed by one episode a week:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5834204/episodes?season=4&ref_=tt_eps_sn_4

(This page contains the first three episode descriptions, but I'm not spoiler-tagging it since this is already the spoiler thread.)

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 1
On 4/19/2021 at 11:26 PM, Brn2bwild said:

I'm really getting psyched for Season 4 after watching the teaser trailers for the characters.  I had skipped over them until I realized that they were including some new stuff.  Such as:

Hide contents

Whoa, Serena got pregnant with Fred!  I just assumed she found someone else.  

And Aunt Lydia is working with Commander Lawrence!

Spoiler

I

Spoiler

I don't think it's Fred's. What I am curious is why Canadians are supporting Serena. The woman is one donut short of a dozen.

• Love 1