Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, alexvillage said:

I did like the way I thought the writers were going with Serena in the first season. In the book we don't know much about her but they had the chance to create something in the show, and the actress is good on the part. I was interested. Until I wasn't because there isn't an actor that can make a very bad writing turn into something good. They can have good scenes and good acting moments, but not make the show good.

But yes, after the mess they created, it is hard to understand why some people still love Serena.

I actually enjoy a good redemption storyline and I love villains who I like to hate. Ben Linus on LOST was one of my favorite TV show characters. I liked the Governor on THE WALKING DEAD (as well as the hipster cannibals). Not a bad guy, but Paris was always far more interesting to me than Rory Gilmore. Oftentimes I find myself rooting for the Big Bad in horror movies. The villains are sometimes more dimensional than the heros. These people are just pissing me off, though.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

It doesn't sound like it's the pen that kills Winslow. It sounds like it is when June hits him in the head. Which still shouldn't kill him, depending on how big the object is...

There are spots on the head that, when struck in the right way, can definitely kill someone even if the object is small. Even a slight hit can cause internal bleeding. Without having seen the scene, though, it's hard to say if that was one of them.

• Useful 1
(edited)

Man I hope that prescreener is able to post again for episode 12 because just the promo alone looks absolutely shitty as fuck. 

After this season is over Hulu is not getting one more goddamn cent out of me. 

Edited by AnswersWanted
  • Love 4
(edited)

Didn't Mark tell Sabrina when she was visiting Nichole that they were looking for information on the hierarchy of Gilead political power?  

If so, do you think he helped her pull data/information during her trip to D.C. in exchange for immunity - or- will she be a marketing tool for the new American government to promote their cause?  I do think Sabrina knew what she was doing/and made a plea for immunity on herself, she's evil but she is smart.

Edited by burghgal
(edited)
10 minutes ago, AnswersWanted said:

Here’s the Israeli trailer: 

THT Israeli Trailer Episode 12

Welp it looks about the way I thought it would. 

It’s a shame I am so done with this show I cannot even enjoy Fred getting punched. 

Thanks!  I was just looking for it on the other account, and theirs was removed, even last week's is down.  (from the link here)

That was super short.

It's not enough to tell really, but I'm disappointed to see Serena talking to Fred, and Fred not in a prison jumpsuit or cell.

We shall see.  Previews are so deceptive, for example, in that other one I really thought the whole crowd was in the room watching "the ceremony" with June and Lawrence.

ETA

Either way, it's not much different from the USA preview we already have.

Edited by Umbelina

Neither promo looked at all promising to me. 

Why would Luke and Moira bring Holly to the detaintment center? 

I fucking swear if they show Serena getting more time with that baby...

And June needs to get the hell off of Mrs. Lawrence, they really have made her so annoying and unrootable this season to me.

And the kids are going to be brought to the house? That's the grand plan sure to not fail? Oh but of course it can't because it's a June scheme, therefore it will be successful no matter what. 

And I think I heard them say 6 kids in total are getting moved, still way too many but at least we aren't at Noah's Arc level of crazy anymore. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, lucindabelle said:

"I can't be a woman alone with 6 children." You can't? Then WHY DID YOU HAVE THEM. 

Six children is a LOT. 

That must be Winslow's wife? 

Eleanor was about to tell Winslow's wife about the plane/escape? 

• Love 1

Looks like Eleonor slipped the secret to Olivia, and then high school bully June holds her up against the wall to try and scare her into keeping her mouth shut. 

I don't like the way they are portraying someone with bipolar disorder. Bipolar doesn't make you psychotic or dementic. It doesn't make you stupid either. I don't think the way they have made Eleonor unwell is a good representation of someone who is bipolar.

11 hours ago, AnswersWanted said:

And I think I heard them say 6 kids in total are getting moved, still way too many but at least we aren't at Noah's Arc level of crazy anymore. 

No that was just Mrs Lawrence stupidly suggesting they take Olivia's kids with them. I'm sure the plan is still 52, and the plane takes off in the last episode like shown in the previous spoilers.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

That was Winslow's wife, Olivia. She is freaking out because she's now a powerless Gilead Widow with 6 children. By massive co-inky-dink she decides to lament her plight to her late husband's old golfing buddy, who as it happens is planning to abscond the country with 52 children that very night!!!!

Eleanor wants to take her and the children with them, bumping their child cargo up to 58. June, sees Olivia as a possible true believer and so too big a risk, leading her to physically threaten Eleanor. 

Why they would have let Eleanor in on the secret is beyond me. She's too unpredictable to be let in on that.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Ariam said:

Looks like Eleonor slipped the secret to Olivia, and then high school bully June holds her up against the wall to try and scare her into keeping her mouth shut. 

I don't like the way they are portraying someone with bipolar disorder. Bipolar doesn't make you psychotic or dementic. It doesn't make you stupid either. I don't think the way they have made Eleonor unwell is a good representation of someone who is bipolar.

No that was just Mrs Lawrence stupidly suggesting they take Olivia's kids with them. I'm sure the plan is still 52, and the plane takes off in the last episode like shown in the previous spoilers.

Jesus Colby Christ on a wheat thin... *sighs*

I forgot about Mrs. Winslow and her stolen batch of babies. 

I was actually trying to compliment the show for cutting down on the insane number of kids but I should have known better. 

With June leading the way they could probably rescue 500 kids. Or 5000. The sky's the limit.

I totally agree, these writers are, yet again, not bothering to research or add any realistic touches to Mrs. Lawrence's condition because they just want to exploit her "crazy" factor whenever it suits them, like when she's wailing over the ceremony or pulling a gun on Lawrence. 

How is Lawrence going to allow June to jack his wife up like that?

Is the show really going to show him being this much of a whipped punk by June all of a sudden he won't even intervene?

Or let me guess, he will conveniently be out of the room or whatever.

This show is trying so hard to make June some sort of power tripping "bad ass" she's just an asshole now. I can't stand her. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Ariam said:

Have they stated or established that she has bipolar disorder that I missed? I never assumed that. She seemed more to me like she had severe anxiety.  They have never shown her in manic episodes. And Lawrence is always making her lie down for example, not her refusing to get up out of bed during depressive episodes?  Enjoyed her time outdoors, so I don’t think she has agoraphobia or social anxiety (although she is socially awkward). I think she’s traumatized and it’s exacerbated her underlying anxiety disorder. I do not think she has bipolar disorder.

Thoughts?

They have definitely shown her to have sudden and vastly escalating mood swings, which is a general symptom of bipolar. 

She also was taking meds whenever they could be smuggled in for her, but we weren't told much about them or the dosage, etc. 

I do think the show wants to imply she has a fairly serious mental illness, and they've given us scenes that clearly show she can behave in very unpredictable ways and even have violent outbursts.

But they also seem to just want to settle on a general assumption of "she's whacked out of her goard" than actually giving us a real ailment that you would see in reality based on the whole of her symptoms, it's like they're pulling from 3 or 4 different types of illnesses and mashing them together to create this one character. 

• Love 3

Mrs. Winslow should have anticipated what she'd do before she stole six children. I mean, that is a lot in THIS day and age let alone in a Gilead where having more than one is an incredible privilege.

Feel no sympathy for her: she remembers the old world when she worked, and yet looking at a neighbor's house where occupants were clearly murdered, all she feels is "free stuff for my friend."

Monster.

Re the kids: some of them have known no other life. Why would they want to go? I'm not arguing they wouldn't be better off. But presumably they love their faux parents and think everything is normal.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, LittleRed84 said:

Have they stated or established that she has bipolar disorder that I missed? 

Eleanor specifically stated in "Under His Eye" that she has bipolar. I wish the writers hadn't specified the illness because they just make her as crazy or as lucid as the plot needs her to be and I personally don't think it's a good representation of bipolar. I think her mood swings are just a bit too cartoony at times and it makes me not take the whole character seriously. 

• Love 3

After seeing the preview for season 4, in which June repeats with a crazy voice "I did this", here's my new theory on what happens. 

Now that it's established that June has superninja powers, and Mr Lawrence gave her a gun to single handedly fight off the guards with their machine guns I think that they will finally give June a new superhero identity, with sexy suit and all, while she secretly maintains her handmaid cover identity. 

Come episode 13, 52+ children, their Marthas, some handmaids, Mr and Mrs Lawrence and a few pets will quietly gather at the Lawrence house, while the trucks come to take them to the plane. Obviously there will be guards that come after them, but June will distract them to save the poor children and the horrible commander who is responsible for the painful death of thousands, including June's mother's. She of course isn't planning to escape, because otherwise season 3 couldn't end exactly like season 2. Instead she will come out dressed in SuperJune suit that the mice Marthas have sewn for her in the cellar, made from a magically woven bullet proof fabric, and she will distract the  guards (first with some whitty sexy talk, in a husky voice like she did with Fred and Winslow), then she will go on to shooting them all with her gun, and fight them with ninja moves, throwing out pens at superfast speed, stabbing the poor Gilead guards straight in the heart. No one of course will recognise her as she is dressed in her superhero suit. When all this is over and the cover for the escapees has succeeded, June will go back to her handmaid suit and cry to Aunt Lydia, about how her evil commander has escaped, and the season will end with dear old Aunt Lydia wrapping her arms around good girl June, while some 1990s pop song plays in the background and June stairs directly into the camera with an evil look, behind aunt Lydia's back. 

50 Marthas, mostly WOC, get killed for letting the children escape. 

Edited by Ariam
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 6
2 hours ago, Ariam said:

After seeing the preview for season 4, in which June repeats with a crazy voice "I did this", here's my new theory on what happens. 

Now that it's established that June has superninja powers, and Mr Lawrence gave her a gun to single handedly fight off the guards with their machine guns I think that they will finally give June a new superhero identity, with sexy suit and all, while she secretly maintains her handmaid cover identity. 

Come episode 13, 52+ children, their Marthas, some handmaids, Mr and Mrs Lawrence and a few pets will quietly gather at the Lawrence house, while the trucks come to take them to the plane. Obviously there will be guards that come after them, but June will distract them to save the poor children and the horrible commander who is responsible for the painful death of thousands, including June's mother's. She of course isn't planning to escape, because otherwise season 3 couldn't end exactly like season 2. Instead she will come out dressed in SuperJune suit that the mice Marthas have sewn for her in the cellar, made from a magically woven bullet proof fabric, and she will distract the  guards (first with some whitty sexy talk, in a husky voice like she did with Fred and Winslow), then she will go on to shooting them all with her gun, and fight them with ninja moves, throwing out pens at superfast speed, stabbing the poor Gilead guards straight in the heart. No one of course will recognise her as she is dressed in her superhero suit. When all this is over and the cover for the escapees has succeeded, June will go back to her handmaid suit and cry to Aunt Lydia, about how her evil commander has escaped, and the season will end with dear old Aunt Lydia wrapping her arms around good girl June, while some 1990s pop song plays in the background and June stairs directly into the camera with an evil look, behind aunt Lydia's back. 

Except for the Marthas being killed, I love the sarcasm. 

It is a shame that the writers don't realize how ridiculous they've come. Or maybe they do and just don't care.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, ScarletLetter said:

Eleanor specifically stated in "Under His Eye" that she has bipolar. I wish the writers hadn't specified the illness because they just make her as crazy or as lucid as the plot needs her to be and I personally don't think it's a good representation of bipolar. I think her mood swings are just a bit too cartoony at times and it makes me not take the whole character seriously. 

I agree. Representation of disabilities in TV is usually cartoonish. It is a disservice that increases stigma. As mentioned above, bipolar does't make anyone stupid - which is also language I don't like, along with moron or imbecile because they are all pretty much variations of r******* and they hurt the perception of what intellectual disability really is.

I have stopped watching the show but by the descriptions of what she is doing, her mental disability would be closer to schizophrenia. Very attuned to what is going on at times, and on moments of crisis overreacting, or not having the "breaks" to stop herself. I am not an expert on mental illness, my observations are based on what I see from close friends who are either bipolar or schizophrenic, and how they react - and for how I picture the scenes described. In any case, the writers seem to be navigating waters they don't know without anyone to guide them.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

She could also be schizoaffective (schizophrenia combined with bipolar). 

I don't remember her saying what she was specifically diagnosed with, just that she should be taking mood stabilizers. 

That's the way I remember it too.  Without her meds, her reactions would be more unstable as well.

Frankly, she seems pretty sane to me most of the time, simply reacting in horror to the truth of Gilead, and all of it's injustices and cruelty.  She slips over once or twice, and has trouble focusing, and her "down" side is considerable.  However, honestly, how "nuts" is it that she wanted to shoot her husband after finally being forced to go through with that abomination of a "ceremony" and everything she sees around her?

She may be the sanest one on screen, or at least, reacting to this nightmare in a real way. 

• Love 4
On 8/3/2019 at 6:09 AM, Ariam said:

Ha!  I’ll add one sentence. One of the guards will disarm June of her gun, but fear not, June will have her superweapon of choice hidden in the folds of her costume (her trusty pen!) which she’ll deftly use to pierce every single guard to death.

• LOL 5
On 8/1/2019 at 6:08 PM, AnswersWanted said:

Neither promo looked at all promising to me. 

Me either. Of course we see the requisite Luke punching Fred because they think we’re all going to cheer. These guys write like 12-year-olds. How about some intelligent remarks exchanged between them. These two could have so much to say to each other. But no, they have to fight OVER JUNE! As usual, it’s all about June. Maybe she’ll fly in with her cape and break up the fight between them.

• Love 5

Totally agree, @ferjy, maybe 6 year olds even.

They constantly seem to only be concerned with scoring cheap thrills that last a few seconds at best.

I would appreciate some sign of actual effort put in, some decent writing and building of drama and tension. 

I'm tired of weeping Serena, brainless Fred, Luke who can never do anything that actually matters, and of course the almighty June who can do all, solve all, save all, and pen jab like nobody's business. 

• Love 4
On 8/3/2019 at 6:09 AM, Ariam said:

9 hours ago, ferjy said:

Ha!  I’ll add one sentence. One of the guards will disarm June of her gun, but fear not, June will have her superweapon of choice hidden in the folds of her costume (her trusty pen!) which she’ll deftly use to pierce every single guard to death.

I’m going to miss this crowd over the hiatus.

Love the pen as her superhero weapon. Who needs Thor’s hammer or Wonder Woman’s lariat when you’re June.

• Love 1

Looks like June is full out antihero now, her transition is nearly complete.

I wonder if she's running in the forest to distract them from the kids getting on the plane or something?  

17 hours ago, alexvillage said:

Just like I commented in another thread, the equivalent of whitewashing. People do stuff, June "is in charge".

Tell the truth. 

That preview looks like all the shit that’s been so awful about this entire season somehow has been crammed into one episode. 

So June is “taking over”,  bish please, the best she could manage is to die in a hail of bullets as a distraction so the others can try and get away, which sadly won’t happen. 

The resistance is supported solely on the backs of the brave and selfless Marthas who are willing to risk all for others, June has no clue about that because she never has been there or done that, and has always needed to rely on these self sacrificing angels to constantly save her ass or die in her place. 

My disgust for June has grown 50 fold thanks to this season, and 100 fold for the show runners. 

12 hours ago, Anela said:

So the spoiler with children and a plane, was real? 

Sadly yes, it actually is going to happen, to the tune of 52 goddamn kids no less, plus Marthas, June of course, and who knows who else. 

I knew the show wanted June to be this amazing Super Wonan figurine, but this is now just way beyond the pale. 

They are blatantly giving the middle finger to all logic and realism to make this rescue/escape happen.

Especially since June will survive this when she should get a bullet to the back of the head just for starters. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, AnswersWanted said:

Tell the truth. 

That preview looks like all the shit that’s been so awful about this entire season somehow has been crammed into one episode. 

So June is “taking over”,  bish please, the best she could manage is to die in a hail of bullets as a distraction so the others can try and get away, which sadly won’t happen. 

The resistance is supported solely on the backs of the brave and selfless Marthas who are willing to risk all for others, June has no clue about that because she never has been there or done that, and has always needed to rely on these self sacrificing angels to constantly save her ass or die in her place. 

My disgust for June has grown 50 fold thanks to this season, and 100 fold for the show runners. 

Sadly yes, it actually is going to happen, to the tune of 52 goddamn kids no less, plus Marthas, June of course, and who knows who else. 

I knew the show wanted June to be this amazing Super Wonan figurine, but this is now just way beyond the pale. 

They are blatantly giving the middle finger to all logic and realism to make this rescue/escape happen.

Especially since June will survive this when she should get a bullet to the back of the head just for starters. 

I think the conversation between Fred and Luke foreshadowed that June will make it out this time.  She'll escape Gilead, but she'll be changed, angry.  Season Four could be her trying to cope with the guilt of leaving Hannah behind and with her alienation from Luke. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, DiabLOL said:

Wait I thought June told Lawrence she was planning to stay behind once again?!

I actually do believe she will survive and remain in Gilead, because otherwise we have no other main characters we see regularly, aside from Lydia, left there. 

Lawrence is still just a side item as a commander, Eleanor's now dead, Commander Keller got offed so we don't even have anyone in DC to worry about now, the Waterford's made their way to Canada, Nick has barely had 3 lines this whole season, and Rita has been regulated fo fondling potatoes.

Gilead basically turns into a ghost town if June escapes thanks to the show not caring to write for everyone else most of the time.

All the action revolves around June, no June equals no plot. 

I don't count Hannah in the group because she's hardly a factor as is, and she's still fairly young, so they can't really do much with her. 

And while I do enjoy Janine, she isn't going to suddenly become the show's main handmaid squeeze.

If the show wants to keep up with the Handmaid's tale part of the story, and they keep beating us over the head with reminders this is June's story after all, how can she leave her handmaid status just yet?

I have no clue how they would manage to make it so that she could stay, but hey they started off this season doing just that.

These show runners will find some bullshit way to get it done, I'm sure. I have absolutely no faith that it will make sense, but they won't care, they never do.

She'll probably stop at the last second from getting on the plane, give one of the Marthas' one of her famous June stares of defiance and announce she can't leave, not without Hannah, and with that they'll reset for season 4 just like they did for this one. 

32 minutes ago, Brn2bwild said:

I think the conversation between Fred and Luke foreshadowed that June will make it out this time.  She'll escape Gilead, but she'll be changed, angry.  Season Four could be her trying to cope with the guilt of leaving Hannah behind and with her alienation from Luke. 

I think that should absolutely be what occurs, which is why I doubt it will. 

I think the show runners believe we cannot have Gilead without June inside of it. She has to stay there to be "in charge" and help it topple from the inside out, blah blah bullshit. 

They put the Waterford in Canada in June's place, imo, so they can have further excuses to show those scenes and characters interacting while June still struggles in Gilead because "reasons".

There's also the Nick angle that they probably want to address as well, I doubt they want to reunite Luke and June yet, and since I don't think they're willing to have him escape as well, he and June will remain in Gilead together.

3 hours ago, AnswersWanted said:

this is June's story after all, how can she leave her handmaid status just yet?

See June Bankhole as the Renegade Handmaid!

Able to slip thru borders, tell Aunts what she will and will not do, control Commander's and their houses, kill Commander's, stare in to a camera lens defiantly! 

She is the Renegade Handmaid!

• LOL 4
5 hours ago, AnswersWanted said:

I actually do believe she will survive and remain in Gilead, because otherwise we have no other main characters we see regularly, aside from Lydia, left there. 

I think the only way June will barely survive is if she has someone beat her up and tells a tale that she tried to stop Lawrence from leaving and stealing the children and he beat the crap out of her.

Unless June is reassigned to Nick and his new wife (if he has one), we are looking at possibly more rape porn next season as June will be reassigned.  

• Love 1

S3E13 spoilers, found on Reddit, originally from THT spoiler FB page:

Spoiler

💢💢💢 SPOILER ALERT💢💢💢

I just wanted to tell our lovely members that we have confirmation that the plane full of children MAKE IT to Canada!
Nick does NOT make an appearance at all in episode 13. 
June does not leave Gilead.
Rita makes it out of Gilead and meets up with Luke.

💢UPDATE💢
We can now sadly report that Hannah does not escape Gilead. She is not seen boarding the plane in the final episode

• Love 3
1 hour ago, VagueDisclaimer said:

S3E13 spoilers, found on Reddit, originally from THT spoiler FB page:

Hide contents

💢💢💢 SPOILER ALERT💢💢💢

I just wanted to tell our lovely members that we have confirmation that the plane full of children MAKE IT to Canada!
Nick does NOT make an appearance at all in episode 13. 
June does not leave Gilead.
Rita makes it out of Gilead and meets up with Luke.

💢UPDATE💢
We can now sadly report that Hannah does not escape Gilead. She is not seen boarding the plane in the final episode

Thanks for those!

The book mentions the underground railroad in the epilogue, and also speculates that "June" was probably in it.   They've been smuggling individuals out for years now apparently, it makes sense that the game would be stepped up, and now it is.

I wonder if Lawrence leaves?  If he does, I'm hoping that makes Fred FAR less valuable to the USA/World about opening up that "black box" that is the power structure and workings of Gilead.  I'd love to see the kid gloves come off and Fred in a real jail cell.

I love that Gilead is taking hits, FINALLY!  52 kids SAFE.  As far as they know, 2 commanders and a wife either "taken" or defected, Winslow and Wallingford's.  Perhaps ANOTHER founder of Gilead defecting as well (Lawrence.)

This should rock them to their core, and have them scrambling.

I'm glad Rita gets out!

7 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

See June Bankhole as the Renegade Handmaid!

Able to slip thru borders, tell Aunts what she will and will not do, control Commander's and their houses, kill Commander's, stare in to a camera lens defiantly! 

She is the Renegade Handmaid!

I am so old, I remember a show called The Renegade (I think - maybe so old my brain doesn't remember all the details haha) with a guy with the last name Lamas (Lorenzo?) and he had a motorcycle and was a bounty hunter hero problem solver.

Let's give June a bike! Renegade June! Bringing justice to Gilead!

• LOL 2

I’m assuming that since this is the spoiler thread, spoiler tags aren’t necessary.

So if those spoilers are correct and June and Hannah remain in Gilead, I guess this show really is going to Groundhog Day it for ten seasons.

Also, so I can quote myself later, if June stays in Gilead, that means Fred and Serena are going back to Gilead, because show.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, kieyra said:

I’m assuming that since this is the spoiler thread, spoiler tags aren’t necessary.

So if those spoilers are correct and June and Hannah remain in Gilead, I guess this show really is going to Groundhog Day it for ten seasons.

Also, so I can quote myself later, if June stays in Gilead, that means Fred and Serena are going back to Gilead, because show.

Well, in the book, Fred is executed for Treason or something like that, inside Gilead IIRC.  IF Lawrence escapes to Canada as well?  The USA may send Fred back to die, after getting him on tape betraying Gilead.  

😉  I'd be good with that!

I really doubt Serena goes back though, she's not a fool, and she has a deal.  I can also see tons of possible story for her outside of Gilead, where, with Fred?  Not much.

Reminder: This is the spoiler thread and is for discussion of (and some speculation about) spoilers. If you find yourself ranting about the aired episodes, take it to the hate thread (or an episode thread, or whatever other thread is more suitable). Thanks!

• Love 1