Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, DuckyinKy said:

The whole idea of "bearing witness" to Lawrence & company performing the ceremony does not make sense.  

How many Handmaids did the Waterfords have before June?  Surely, more than the one prior to June who committed suicide.  None of them got pregnant because we know Fred is shooting blanks (even though they won't acknowledge it's the man's fault) so in theory the same could be said for Lawrence.  

Really, they are at the point where the Fonz is jumping the shark. 

• Love 5
On 7/19/2019 at 3:27 PM, kieyra said:

So is it just that we're supposed to feel bad for Lawrence instead of all the women he helped enslave?

Nick/Eden redux?

If not him they’re definitely playing around with the Waterford’s. The preview for next week looked ridiculous. Fred and Serena literally driving off into the sunset convertible style even. It was like they were shooting the ending to a Bond film. 

I don’t even know who these characters are supposed to be anymore, is this Gilead or Gilligan’s Island? 

I really don’t think this show gives much if any thought to what’s going to happen beyond every 2 episodes they shoot, there’s nothing that seems to be planned for the long term. 

I wish I could just get an early preview of the last few episodes so I can just call it already, heh, I feel almost like I’ve been running a marathon trying to hang on and watch this season to the very end. 

• Useful 1
(edited)

Is it in to post photos from the last episode here? Someone leaked pictures from the filming and I have to say it seems insanely ridiculous  

I also saw someone guessing that Serena is planning to turn Fred in for freedom in Canada (or nicholly, but that’s stupid as she has no rights to the child). I have to say I love that idea of her turning her husband to revenge for everything he has done to her (including his clear display of obsession over June) but I don’t think are should go free, she is a rapist and criminal as well. Also, if that’s where they are going with the stupid plot, then why the hell did they have to put us through those tormenting scenes of Fred and Serena dancing with Serena looking at him like she was falling back in love with him???? 

Edited by Ariam
1 hour ago, AnswersWanted said:

If not him they’re definitely playing around with the Waterford’s. The preview for next week looked ridiculous. Fred and Serena literally driving off into the sunset convertible style even. It was like they were shooting the ending to a Bond film. 

I don’t even know who these characters are supposed to be anymore, is this Gilead or Gilligan’s Island? 

I really don’t think this show gives much if any thought to what’s going to happen beyond every 2 episodes they shoot, there’s nothing that seems to be planned for the long term. 

I wish I could just get an early preview of the last few episodes so I can just call it already, heh, I feel almost like I’ve been running a marathon trying to hang on and watch this season to the very end. 

I hope the show finally kills off Fred, it's past time, and it certainly SEEMS to be leading to that.  Fred hanging on the wall would make me happy.

I think the show has built up to this with June finally having a real plan all along, they've just done it in a sketchy way, that if they aren't making her an anti-hero of sorts, doesn't make a lot of sense.  She stumbles, she screws up, she finds a purpose, she's laid the endless groundwork, and she finally has a real plan going. 

This could work.  It's just hard to trust them.

51 minutes ago, Ariam said:

Is it in to post photos from the last episode here? Someone leaked pictures from the filming and I have to say it seems insanely ridiculous  

I also saw someone guessing that Serena is planning to turn Fred in for freedom in Canada (or nicholly, but that’s stupid as she has no rights to the child). I have to say I love that idea of her turning her husband to revenge for everything he has done to her (including his clear display of obsession over June) but I don’t think are should go free, she is a rapist and criminal as well. Also, if that’s where they are going with the stupid plot, then why the hell did they have to put us through those tormenting scenes of Fred and Serena dancing with Serena looking at him like she was falling back in love with him???? 

If Serena is playing that kind of long game I'd be shocked, and also, that might leave Serena free, and I'd rather see her struggling along with no husband to protect her and still stuck without Nicole in Gilead.

I think the dancing scenes, and Fred "winning Serena back" and realizing he can't continue to rise in Gilead when his wife won't come home...did work, IF they are leading to Fred making a very risky choice here just to keep her around.

You can post anything here.

Great another dark episode...

(edited)

At this point June's journey bores me so however they wrap up things for me it won't be to a beneficial end.

She's gotten away with too much shit to further so many stupid plotlines that I've hated. 

There's been no Emily or Moira for a past few episodes and I have realized that aside from Janine in Gilead, they're the only "regulars" that I still give a damn about. 

June can rot, I would like to see those three get some semblance of a happy ending though. 

Someone posted some spoiler pics from the finale already showing the kids being loaded up on a plane and even back then I thought it would take the most contrived and convenient bullshit for such an ending to come about. 

They want a huge payoff for what's been, for me, a fairly pointless and boring season. I can't wait for it to end.

Edited by AnswersWanted
  • Love 4
(edited)

Honestly, maybe I'm dumb but the only way Serena's "reveal" to Fred last night made sense to me in the narrative was if it was triggered by her anger with Fred over his renewed (in her eyes -- out of sight, out of mind in DC) obsession with June and intention to bring her back to the household. From that motive, I can see Serena saying screw it and deciding to set him up. What made less sense to me was this story element just coming back at random. She knows where Tuello stands on the custody issue and we know she knows that, so if her goal is as straightforward as presented to Fred, it was an odd writing choice.

That said, this is a whole show of terrible writing choices, so she's probably not setting him up and it's an idiot plot. But I'd love a set-up. Not erasing Serena's misdeeds; I just enjoy Yvonne Strahovski's work, am sick of Fred (I'd always liked J-Fiennes outside THT but there's nothing enjoyable about his work here at this stage), and want this Tuello story to actually go somewhere productive.

Edited by lavenderblue
  • Love 4

@lavenderblue

Interesting idea!  That could actually work, or it could all blow up in Serena's face and our series ender might FINALLY be Fred hanging on the wall.

I will stand up and cheer if that happens!

Meanwhile, Spy Guy!  I'm excited about that, hopefully we get more than snippets from him this time.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, lavenderblue said:

Honestly, maybe I'm dumb but the only way Serena's "reveal" to Fred last night made sense to me in the narrative was if it was triggered by her anger with Fred over his renewed (in her eyes -- out of sight, out of mind in DC) obsession with June and intention to bring her back to the household. From that motive, I can see Serena saying screw it and deciding to set him up. What made less sense to me was this story element just coming back at random. She knows where Tuello stands on the custody issue and we know she knows that, so if her goal is as straightforward as presented to Fred, it was an odd writing choice.

That said, this is a whole show of terrible writing choices, so she's probably not setting him up and it's an idiot plot. But I'd love a set-up. Not erasing Serena's misdeeds; I just enjoy Yvonne Strahovski's work, am sick of Fred (I'd always liked J-Fiennes outside THT but there's nothing enjoyable about his work here at this stage), and want this Tuello story to actually go somewhere productive.

I just posted this in the episode thread, but I think the DC commander's comment about the "rings and veils" is what pushed Serena over the edge this time.  That, plus Fred's obsession with June.  I haven't seen any spoilers on future episodes, but I am really hoping she's setting him up.  I think she hopes it will lead to her getting some sort of access to Nicole, but at this point I think she wants out of Gilead and is willing to sacrifice Fred to get there.

And I'm with you - I want Serena to continue because I love YS and love what she does with this character.  I think she'd be so much more interesting without Fred, and I also think it's time for Fred to go.  He's just creepy for creepy's sake.  And I'd love to see Truello and Serena in more scenes together... but just as a total tease.  Serena doesn't deserve him.

• Love 4
43 minutes ago, Ariam said:

Israeli trailer episode 11

yikes. I’m absolutely hating this. 

What. The. Hell. Seriously...? 

Unless this show is planning the most massive purge and is going to kill off half the cast at the end of this, shit like what's in this trailer is stupid beyond measure. 

June is going to straight up attack that mf-er Commander Keller who is clearly strong enough and big enough to snap her neck, after he's done assaulting her body however many ways and times he wants to, and then he still has enough power to get away with it and no one would blink an eye. She wouldn't be missed by most and she's already tried to escape, a coverup of her death would be simple.

But of course that's a fight June is bound to win surely. Because she always does...the fuckery just keeps getting worse and worse.

• Love 3
On 7/25/2019 at 12:03 AM, chaifan said:

And I'm with you - I want Serena to continue because I love YS and love what she does with this character.  I think she'd be so much more interesting without Fred, and I also think it's time for Fred to go.  He's just creepy for creepy's sake.  And I'd love to see Truello and Serena in more scenes together... but just as a total tease.  Serena doesn't deserve him.

I think most people would agree with you about YS and considering who the writers of this show are, they might just destroy the character in no time due to overuse of plot armors. They will create another June in this sense. Yikes. Well, at least YS is more palatable than EM.

3 hours ago, AnswersWanted said:

Unless this show is planning the most massive purge and is going to kill off half the cast at the end of this, shit like what's in this trailer is stupid beyond measure. 

Wouldn't it be awesome if the writers finally sold some writing skills and just killed June, at least? 

The Marthas warning June is an omen. The Marthas will die because of June. And because they probably don't want to show children being killed, they will all be recaptured and sent back to their not-parents.

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, greekmom said:

What did it show?  It's blocked now.

I'm all for people in Gilead doing whatever it takes to resist this horrific system, and to save people from it.  People do die, there is no "perfect and safe" resistance, many died.  The closest comparison (and I think it's used in the epilogue too?) is the Underground Railroad, which also lead those fleeing slavery and horrors to Canada.

It wasn't full of geniuses or perfect revolutionaries, but ordinary people, who were brave and risked everything for others.  Mistakes were made, and corrected, it was made up of people who risked their lives to help others.

Would such a thing happen in the fictional "Gilead" world?  I think it's nearly inevitable.  June is just a person trying to bump up a system already in existence, to the next level.  Again, I think that would happen, and did happen in a different time of slavery in the USA.  People who get things done are not "perfect" people, they are ordinary people driven by horrors to the point of risking their own lives to do something about it. 

We have met some of them already, long before June became one of them.  Lawrence has at least allowed it, and we saw him facilitate it with Emily.  The Marthas, some of the people at Jezebels, the Econofamily, that pilot who died, that truck driver that took June to The Boston Globe, Nick is connected somehow, the suicide bomber, the bomb maker, the people who helped Luke get across, the person at the hospital that left those marks.  These people have existed in this story for a long time.

The idea that someone would come along, in this case June, and simply bump that system up a notch to rescue more people is nearly inevitable.  She's seen quite a bit of the system now, where, as we've seen in past episodes, it's been kept compartmentalized, with each person on each step of the underground railroad of
Gilead only knowing THEIR part but not the rest of the parts.  June has seen more of the parts of this, so in some ways she has a more complete picture of how it works, having been one who made it quite far in previous escape attempts.

June started out selfishly, just wanting to save herself and to save her daughter(s) but she's finally grown into someone who cares about more than just her own wants and needs, and it took a while for her to get there, which seems completely normal to me.  She did get there though, and she's not the first, she is perhaps, the most visionary as far as bumping this system up a notch.

Do people honestly want people trapped in Gilead to simply only care about themselves, rather than doing something to help others, in this case, children?  Wow.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 1

Hey, silly question here... people keep posting Israeli trailers.  I don't like watching trailers, so I haven't seen any of these, but I was wondering... are these any different than trailers/promos put out in the US?  If so, how/why?  Are they official Hulu trailers, or from another source?  Just curious.

1 minute ago, chaifan said:

Hey, silly question here... people keep posting Israeli trailers.  I don't like watching trailers, so I haven't seen any of these, but I was wondering... are these any different than trailers/promos put out in the US?  If so, how/why?  Are they official Hulu trailers, or from another source?  Just curious.

They are longer.

We don't know why they are, but they have always been scenes from the actual episodes.

(edited)

I'm going to be bummed if this is the last of Commander Winslow. The only ep of this season I really liked was the DC episode, and I was intrigued by his character, and I love Christopher Meloni as an actor. I checked IMDB and he's only listed as being in four episodes, so the next episode would be his fourth. So seeing him at Jezebel's assaulting June is confusing - since June has had the thickest of plot armor this whole season, I imagine Winslow gets killed in some way. 

Edited by ScarletLetter
47 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

What did it show?  It's blocked now.

The link I posted above (a few messages above the trailer you responded to) is still working. It shows June at Jezebels then Winslow pulling her (on a bed?) her kicking him and him hitting back. 

(edited)
12 minutes ago, ScarletLetter said:

I'm going to be bummed if this is the last of Commander Winslow. The only ep of this season I really liked was the DC episode, and I was intrigued by his character, and I love Christopher Meloni as an actor. I checked IMDB and he's only listed as being in four episodes, so the next episode would be his fourth. So seeing him at Jezebel's assaulting June is confusing - since June has had the thickest of plot armor this whole season, I imagine Winslow gets killed in some way. 

There are only 3 episodes left this season, but that doesn't mean he might not come back next season?

It's hard to tell from that clip, maybe he likes it rough?  Jezebels isn't known for missionary position sex.

The clip for last week's was pretty misleading, I really thought they were all going to be in that room watching Joseph have sex with June. 

4 minutes ago, Ariam said:

The link I posted above (a few messages above the trailer you responded to) is still working. It shows June at Jezebels then Winslow pulling her (on a bed?) her kicking him and him hitting back. 

Yeah, I see that one, just not the other one (presumably longer.)

Edited by Umbelina
14 hours ago, alexvillage said:

Wouldn't it be awesome if the writers finally sold some writing skills and just killed June, at least? 

It really would, it’d be the first really realistic touch of the whole season. If they went for the full trifecta, June, Fred, and Serena I’d be freakin’ elated, heh. 

I am so ready for the story to move beyond them. They keep everything so stagnant and boring. They’ve served their purposes, it’s time to kull the dead weight. 

I never watched GoT but this show could definitely use some of their willingness to kill off lead characters to further along the overall story at this point. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Umbelina said:

They aren't going to kill June, at least not until the series is ending.  It's called The Handmaid's Tale, and she's the handmaid who made the tapes, it's HER story.

Technically they could move past her and focus on another handmaid. It's the "handmaid's tale", after all, not "June's tale." There have been no reference to the book tapes, only the one she made for Luke. Maybe, in the show world, there won't be anymore tapes. We don't know. She could always record more, die, and then the story pick right up with someone new.

That won't happen, though. As long as Elizabeth Moss is a producer she is going to ride that train for as long as it can go.

• Love 3

This show is so far up Lizzie’s backside of course June won’t die, I am quite aware of that. But I can certainly hope for a better, brighter future where her character got the chop. 

I am really not looking forward to seeing her go all judo warrior princess with Commander Keller, again another fight she has no reaon to win and it should get her killed but obviously won’t. 

What’s next? Is she also going to turn into a super hacker able to commandeer Gilead’s computers and the launch codes? Apparently nothing is too impossible for June. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Well, to be fair to me, what I said was "Wouldn't it be awesome if the writers finally sold some writing skills and just killed June..." - which I now see that for some reason the word "found" became "sold". But to the point - FOUND WRITING SKILLS. So yeah, June is not going to die - because real writers do take the chance with creativity and this show does't have good writers. And because the little perk Ms. Moss has of being an EP, of course. But mostly the lack of writing skills.

• Love 4
(edited)

The summary for the upcoming episode, “Liars”

Do not read any further if you DON’T want the episode spoiled... 

The episode starts with June walking into Lawrence’s office and we see Eleanor holding a gun to Joseph. June talks her down saying that Joseph needs to be alive for her plan of getting children out to work. 
June goes into the meetings with all the Martha’s who are doubtful of her plan but will not stop her so long as she doesn’t interfere with their own plans. 
Meanwhile, Fred and Serena are taking a trip up north, with Serena driving and they have a heart to heart about the liberties Fred has taken away from Serena. They stopped at an Econo-family’s home in their way to meet with Mark Tuello. They have a tender moment while sharing a bedroom. 
Joseph finds out he doesn’t have clearance to access vehicles or escape on his own, so June has to go to Jezebel’s to meet with a Mayday contact that can help her. She gets discovered by Commander Winslow and is taken into a room where he tries to rape her. She fights back, and ends up stabbing him with a pen multiple times, before hitting him in the head with a small statue, killing him. 
Some Martha’s discover June and the crime scene, and help her clean up the scene, while giving her an escape route. 
Back up North, Fred and Serena meet up with Tuello who tells them to follow his car to the “meeting” place. When they arrive, it is reveled they are in Canada and Fred and Serena are arrested. 

Edited by mamadrama
  • Love 3
(edited)
55 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

The episode starts with June walking into Lawrence’s office and we see Eleanor holding a gun to Joseph. June talks her down saying that Joseph needs to be alive for her plan of getting children out to work. 
June goes into the meetings with all the Martha’s who are doubtful of her plan but will not stop her so long as she doesn’t interfere with their own plans. 
Meanwhile, Fred and Serena are taking a trip up north, with Serena driving and they have a heart to heart about the liberties Fred has taken away from Serena. They stopped at an Econo-family’s home in their way to meet with Mark Tuello. They have a tender moment while sharing a bedroom. 
Joseph finds out he doesn’t have clearance to access vehicles or escape on his own, so June has to go to Jezebel’s to meet with a Mayday contact that can help her. She gets discovered by Commander Winslow and is taken into a room where he tries to rape her. She fights back, and ends up stabbing him with a pen multiple times, before hitting him in the head with a small statue, killing him. 
Some Martha’s discover June and the crime scene, and help her clean up the scene, while giving her an escape route. 
Back up North, Fred and Serena meet up with Tuello who tells them to follow his car to the “meeting” place. When they arrive, it is reveled they are in Canada and Fred and Serena are arrested. 

THANKS!  Where did you find that???

Oh holy crap!  I love it!

Sad to see Winslow go, but still....

Edited by Umbelina
3 hours ago, mamadrama said:

So June the magician makes another wholly improbable miraculous escape yet again. 

I can’t even work up the energy to be annoyed by this shit anymore.

And seriously a pen? A fucking pen?

Jesus Gorgonzola Christ almighty they’ve turned her into John Wick! 

So Serena really thought she and Fred could make a clean escape out of Gilead and get the baby? Didn’t she used to be somewhat intelligent? And Fred went along just as blindly hopeful? 

Did the writers just get super bored with these characters suddenly?

No way season 1 or season 2 Waterford’s would have ever fallen for that shit, they both know outside of Gilead they’re considered criminals and way too many people would want their heads on a platter just for starters, so GTFOOH with that show. 

I had a feeling this episode was going to be trash from the promo but holy shit they are really surpassing my down in the gutter expectations for how bad things can still get. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Umbelina said:

THANKS!  Where did you find that???

Oh holy crap!  I love it!

Sad to see Winslow go, but still....

One of the screeners who saw it last night. It could be wrong, but these spoilers rarely are.

• Love 1

And so my realistic fears win out over my foolish dreams that had been predicated on the idea that Serena, as established in the first two seasons, is not a moron.

Also truly thrilled that Winslow apparently existed for no greater plot reason whatsoever except maybe some pointless "June killed a VIP" finale shenanigans to come, that's fun.

(edited)

This show harkens back to the book only when or if it wants to, they’ve already changed plenty about Fred and Serena, if they don’t want to chop the two actors anytime soon anything could happen. 

And the show just got renewed for season 4, Miller is almost halfway to his 10 seasons remark, he’ll drag whatever shit out that he has to that will get him closest to that goal. 

1 hour ago, mamadrama said:

One of the screeners who saw it last night. It could be wrong, but these spoilers rarely are.

I cannot recall them ever being really. I wish I could be one, heh, spare myself the wait and just get it over with. 

44 minutes ago, lavenderblue said:

And so my realistic fears win out over my foolish dreams that had been predicated on the idea that Serena, as established in the first two seasons, is not a moron.

Also truly thrilled that Winslow apparently existed for no greater plot reason whatsoever except maybe some pointless "June killed a VIP" finale shenanigans to come, that's fun.

For real, I know they’ve had Serena snapping, cracking, and popping all season but this whole “we will work with this agent dude and get ‘our baby back’ and everything will be totes amaze balls!”, it’s way too unrealistic. 

Even if Serena has truly become so delusional and off her face, why would Fred go along with this?

He was just getting back into the centerfold of the Commanders’ power circle, regaining status, and he would blow all of that to try and make a “deal” with his greatest enemy?

Because his nutty wife was given a totally unsubstantiated “pinky swear” in the form of a phone from a government agent? It’s too much bullshit to even unpack really.

It definitely screams of “we have almost reached the finale, drama!!!! the shit out of this yeah?”

And I guess we’ll be expected to cheer as another promising character played by an amazing actor goes down by the hands of Super!June, a pen, and a piece of pottery. Gotta stay consistent.

Sure wouldn't want the audience getting the idea this show is even trying to seem believable anymore. 

I am fully ready for June to just go full on Mighty Morphing Power Ranger, with the suit and everything. 

So Commander Keller just might officially be this season’s Eve if the spiler proves true, dead before we have a real reason to care about them either as a villain or other, and the death will probably amount to nothing regarding the plot for the most part except that it happens right before the ending because "reasons, drama!!!!!, and Emmys".

How very riveting.... *sigh*

I mean really, how much more interesting would it be if they had just been bold and brave enough to give Fred the boot, finally, so that Commander Keller would be his replacement.

Obviously he is much crueler, diabolical, and savvy, he would be the perfect sort of monster to bring about the next, most frightening, phase of Gilead's rule. And he could go toe to toe with Lawrence. 

But no, June's just going to take this guy out "Alias" style. These writers are truly fucking worthless.

Edited by AnswersWanted
  • Love 6

If this spoiler summary is true, it fills me with joy that the Serena apologists, who keep saying she’s playing the long con, is really helping with the resistance and will run off to Hawaii with Tuello and make babies, will be wrong...again. 

5F07A398-0499-4485-BE40-B3B89608328E.jpeg

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, VagueDisclaimer said:

If this spoiler summary is true, it fills me with joy that the Serena apologists, who keep saying she’s playing the long con, is really helping with the resistance and will run off to Hawaii with Tuello and make babies, will be wrong...again. 

5F07A398-0499-4485-BE40-B3B89608328E.jpeg

I don't get the hard on for this character. She is not even that compelling. She is pure evil who have had maybe 3 non evil moments. 

She is not that much better than Fred. They are one and the same 

• Love 6
24 minutes ago, Deputy Deputy CoS said:

I don't get the hard on for this character. She is not even that compelling. She is pure evil who have had maybe 3 non evil moments. 

I’ve just read that Serena must be in on the arrest and has traded information on Fred for her freedom. I mean, the woman encouraged her husband to violently rape the baby out of June and people still think Serena/June are BFFs, so I’m guessing once an apologist always an apologist. 

I mean, the writing is horrid and the show continuously makes the argument that it’s just a case of baby fever that has addled her poor lady brain, but I still have hope that she will be recognized as the monster and true gender traitor that she is and gets the bullet she earned, just like Fred.

• Love 11

@Cranberry just made aware that when I posted the spoiler, it was on the episode 10 thread. I have no idea how that happened, so I wanted to apologize. I haven't even been on that thread today so I don't know how it ended up over there. I even double checked to make sure that I was on the spoiler thread. Something did happen when I posted it, though- it typed the summary 3 times and I had to go in and edit. There must have been a glitch. I apologize.

(edited)

I agree with everything you write AnswersWanted. I just responded to this in an fb group saying pretty much the same things, a fucking pen??? She is half his size and killing a person with a pen isn’t really even possible anyhow, let alone when he is strong and she is a handmaid, she’s not exactly going to the gym or working on her karate skills! But hey, superJune can do anything. 

Why did they waste so much of the season poorly introducing a character that they kill off? And their ignorance is shown by the fact that every story invented by the people watching is better than what they have actually offered. Why couldn’t they explain the Gilead power structure? Why introduce Washington but not explain who Winslow was? Who is the main leader of Gilead? 

Ah I hate this show. 

Hoe can Serena and Fred (aside from the fact that them being stupid enough to go is ridiculous) just DRIVE off and cross the border? How can Serena drive, where are the road patrols?? How can Tuello fucking cross the border into Gilead???  And then cross back??? It makes no sense whatsoever that Gilead would have s riad leading straight into Canada with no border patrolling!!! Why wouldn’t everyone then just drive in an out for some sunday shopping in Canada?! It’s not Central Europe it’s suppoded to be like North Korea. You don’t just drive out by mistake!!! 

But it that’s it. This was the last straw. I am angry that they killed this story. And shocked that people just buy all this shit and say it’s exciting. I guess for those people the real point of Atwood’s story was never the point. June can play Charlie’s angel with the Marthas and it can all be about sexy tough female heroines because it certainly isn’t about anything it was supposed to be anymore. Idiots. 

Edited by Ariam
Typos
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, Ariam said:

I just responded to this in an fb group saying pretty much the same things, a fucking pen??? She is half his size and killing a person with a pen isn’t really even possible

But you’re applying logic here, when really, you should be blown away by the ~symbolism~ of a Handmaid using a writing instrument to kill a Commander. Sigh. 

• LOL 2
5 hours ago, Deputy Deputy CoS said:

I did like the way I thought the writers were going with Serena in the first season. In the book we don't know much about her but they had the chance to create something in the show, and the actress is good on the part. I was interested. Until I wasn't because there isn't an actor that can make a very bad writing turn into something good. They can have good scenes and good acting moments, but not make the show good.

But yes, after the mess they created, it is hard to understand why some people still love Serena.

24 minutes ago, alexvillage said:

But yes, after the mess they created, it is hard to understand why some people still love Serena.

Because the actress is pretty and a very good crier.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, alexvillage said:

I did like the way I thought the writers were going with Serena in the first season. In the book we don't know much about her but they had the chance to create something in the show, and the actress is good on the part. I was interested. Until I wasn't because there isn't an actor that can make a very bad writing turn into something good. They can have good scenes and good acting moments, but not make the show good.

I agree. It made sense to me that she would be able to deconstruct her beliefs if she was faced with how horrible the consequences are. I know many people, who have turned away from a fundamentalist past after being even employed by churches etc, if a personal crises has caused them to face some ugly truths/consequences. It's hard but not at all rare that people do a full turn BUT it has to be consistent and permanent.

People don't flip around like Serena in this series. I feel like the writers are b-class horror story writers because they seem to be able to only make every characther a psycho. Not one person in this series actually feels normal, they are all insane at one level or another, but not even in a way that makes sense (sorry this goes into what I hate about this series territory). Internal struggles make sense, specially if they would show that a person had been brainwashed from an early age into this belief system, and then as an adult finally realised how it had turned into something they never accepted. But the way they made Serena rape June in season 2, and behave as a total maniac made no sense at all. It also made no sense to go from that to being pals. And then in season 3, smoking together? and then fighting? It's like a cheap cat fight relationship but the way they have built her characther has been shallow and nonsensical. I really like the acress and think she's actually a much better actress than irritating-facial-expressions June, so it's sad that they wrote her characther so badly (as they did with everyone else once they started adding their own post-atwood stuff). 

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Umbelina said:

Fred will return to Gilead, because we know from the epilogue of the book that he is disgraced and executed.

Hopefully Spy Guy facilitates that.

As much as I like Joseph Fiennes and he's killing it as Fred and Yvonne is killing it as Serena, I just don't want these two to get off because the actors are likable. Damn it. I want REVENGE for all the shit they have done. 

• Love 5
(edited)
16 hours ago, greekmom said:

As much as I like Joseph Fiennes and he's killing it as Fred and Yvonne is killing it as Serena, I just don't want these two to get off because the actors are likable. Damn it. I want REVENGE for all the shit they have done. 

It’s about the only thing that keeps me hanging on.... I really want to see these two get what they deserve....if it’s not realistic to bring the down fall of Gilead then at least give us the end of Fred and Serena!

Edited by BellyLaughter
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Ariam said:

I agree. It made sense to me that she would be able to deconstruct her beliefs if she was faced with how horrible the consequences are. I know many people, who have turned away from a fundamentalist past after being even employed by churches etc, if a personal crises has caused them to face some ugly truths/consequences. It's hard but not at all rare that people do a full turn BUT it has to be consistent and permanent.

People don't flip around like Serena in this series. I feel like the writers are b-class horror story writers because they seem to be able to only make every characther a psycho. Not one person in this series actually feels normal, they are all insane at one level or another, but not even in a way that makes sense (sorry this goes into what I hate about this series territory). Internal struggles make sense, specially if they would show that a person had been brainwashed from an early age into this belief system, and then as an adult finally realised how it had turned into something they never accepted. But the way they made Serena rape June in season 2, and behave as a total maniac made no sense at all. It also made no sense to go from that to being pals. And then in season 3, smoking together? and then fighting? It's like a cheap cat fight relationship but the way they have built her characther has been shallow and nonsensical. I really like the acress and think she's actually a much better actress than irritating-facial-expressions June, so it's sad that they wrote her characther so badly (as they did with everyone else once they started adding their own post-atwood stuff). 

As a horror author, I agree. None of these characters have nuance. Fred may as well be twirling his damn moustache and wiggling his eyebrows while Serena Joy appers to be more bi polar than Eleanor.