Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Serena Joy begs June not to go but, in the end, releases Holly. Rather than leaving herself, June gives Holly to Emily and they leave. 

Just a thought- how is Emily expected to feed this newborn?

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, LittleRed84 said:

That is a really big important thought! It wasn't even enough to have June nearby pumping!

• Love 1
(edited)
9 minutes ago, LittleRed84 said:

Maybe working in the colonies affected her body in ways we never thought about...

But in all seriousness, unless the show is just that incompetent, which is very possible, I would guess that they manage to snag some bottles of already pre-pumped milk to take along with them, so when Emily’s given the baby she’s also handled the supply of milk that June has already expressed which should tied Holly over until they are extracted or rescued, however they planned it out.

Considering they are living in a constant snowstorm now apparently, refrigeration of the milk is no problem while they’re on the move. 

But if they decide to dragggggg out the extraction and suddenly Emily is stuck in a blizzard with a starving baby? I will be pissed. 

Edited by AnswersWanted
33 minutes ago, LittleRed84 said:

Especially if they assumed that June would go with them. I guess we'll have to see how the episode plays out, but that definitely is going to require a huge suspension of disbelief if they don't address it. 

• Love 5

They are not that far from the Canadian Border, and there is no traffic.   It's less that 4 hours to the border, and he's a big shot Commander so... 

June also could have given her some milk to take with her.  Either way, a baby can survive on water for four hours, but we know June's been pumping so there is probably some in the fridge.

5 minutes ago, Sara2009 said:

Don’t the spoilers say that he’s good, though?

I haven't read all the posts yet but I had the impression that was more speculation than actually knowing if he is resistance or not. 

What I did see though, was a manipulative sadist in the scene with Emily. Cannot trust that. But hey, the writers of this show have proven to not really care about much. I might end up loving him.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, FreddieAnnie said:

Could it be Nick taking off his ring? 

It's definitely a man's ring.

4 hours ago, alexvillage said:

I don't trust him and I think the art collection belongs to his wife. 

Yes, I would think so, he told Emily that his wife was a college art professor.

4 hours ago, alexvillage said:

I haven't read all the posts yet but I had the impression that was more speculation than actually knowing if he is resistance or not. 

What I did see though, was a manipulative sadist in the scene with Emily. Cannot trust that. But hey, the writers of this show have proven to not really care about much. I might end up loving him.

Well, it was from someone who’s seen the episode.

But anyway, “ good” is kind of a relative term for this show. He can help Emily escape and still be an awful person in other ways.

• Love 3

Commander Lawrence helps June, Emily, and Holly escape Gilead. (June decides not to go, but the opportunity is there.) Those who have seen ep.13 say that he is "cool" and doesn't go through with any ceremony. For those reasons, I am interpreting his interrogation of Emily as an attempt to feel her out, to see just how badly she wants to escape.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Eureka said:

@Umbelina, spill... you said you could speak to why Eden was important. (Lol)

I don't know, but I suspect that Eden's death will be the catalyst for more unrest, possible resistance, but this time from Serena and possibly others that witnessed that.  The spoilers say Serena lets Emily take Holly, after Rita (another witness) colludes to help start a fire as a diversion.  Will it continue into next year?  Who knows?

I do think Emily may get away with the baby.  Baby's are difficult to shoot with, they are only allowed on screen for minutes at a time, and normal scenes usually coverage and other things that extend a two minute scene to hours or more in actual shooting time.

As for the Commander, not trying to be at all snide, but as Phil says in Groundhog Day?  "Anything different is good, very good."  Aside from that, as one of the articles I just posted in the Media thread says?  This is the first decent acting from a man this show has ever had, nuanced, as skillful as the women on screen.  He was masterful.  The writing was better for him too, but it's what he was able to do with it, making a feast out of snacks.

Another article (also linked) hinted that this is just a one and done for him, implying he won't be back at all next season.  I know they have seen the finale, but they may also know things he's filming next year.  They just don't think this actor is willing to fly back and forth to Canada for this show.

• Love 3
(edited)

If Emily manages to escape to Canada with Holly I will eat my words and declare it a good finale. I will be satisfied. Having Emily reunite with her wife and son and get Holly to Moira and Luke can actually salvage a lot of the season for me. Emily in Canada can really propel this story forward cause this is a woman who makes shit happen and gets things done. And I love her and want to have some relief finally .

Edited by GraceK
  • Love 9
26 minutes ago, GraceK said:

If Emily manages to escape to Canada with Holly I will eat my words and declare it a good finale. I will be satisfied. Having Emily reunite with her wife and son and get Holly to Moira and Luke can actually salvage a lot of the season for me. Emily in Canada can really propel this story forward cause this is a woman who makes shit happen and gets things done. And I love her and want to have some relief finally .

I think she will get there, but I don’t think we’ll see it this season. I think it’ll more than likely end with that being a cliffhanger,

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

Commander Lawrence helps June, Emily, and Holly escape Gilead. (June decides not to go, but the opportunity is there.) Those who have seen ep.13 say that he is "cool" and doesn't go through with any ceremony. For those reasons, I am interpreting his interrogation of Emily as an attempt to feel her out, to see just how badly she wants to escape.

I think it speaks to how good the actor is if he’s got everyone questioning like this.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Sara2009 said:

I think it speaks to how good the actor is if he’s got everyone questioning like this.

He was outstanding.  Find that article I mentioned in the media thread about his acting, and how much it stands out compared to the other men in this cast. 

They compared it to the 3 bears.  Nick does too little.  Fred does way too much.  Luke is just right but the writing for him is pitiful.  Lawrence shines bright making a complete banquet out of a few scenes, good writing and sets, and co-actors, and a brilliant actor at work.

• Love 3
46 minutes ago, Sara2009 said:

He's an amazing actor. He conveyed more in his short scenes than some *cough Nick cough* have done all season.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Umbelina said:

Another article (also linked) hinted that this is just a one and done for him, implying he won't be back at all next season.  I know they have seen the finale, but they may also know things he's filming next year.  They just don't think this actor is willing to fly back and forth to Canada for this show.

Dang! I was hoping this was setting up a storyline for him in season 3 - weirdo Commander keeps smuggling out handmaids and Gilead can't figure it out, and then he frames Fred for it, and Fred swings on the wall next to Serena (just his effing luck!). But I find Serena compelling (I feel like I have to disclaim I think she's horrible.) and I think the actor playing her is fantastic, so I'd love to see Serena as a Martha with 9 fingers, taking orders from 19-year olds and her former "wife" peers. 

I don't have a problem with June staying in Gilead. Holly isn't her only kid, and ESPECIALLY after Hannah asked her why she didn't fight harder, I just can't see June leaving Gilead without Hannah. It seems to be rather difficult to get into and out of Gilead - working from the inside is the only thing that makes sense to me. I mean, ugh, glad I don't have these decisions in my life. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Umbelina said:

Hopefully that comment was incorrect and he stays on the show. 

Fingers crossed! I love the actor and his scenes with Bledel were some of the best of the season. The casting on this show is awesome, for the most part, but they don't always get the men right. This was right!!!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Umbelina said:

I don't know, but I suspect that Eden's death will be the catalyst for more unrest, possible resistance, but this time from Serena and possibly others that witnessed that.  The spoilers say Serena lets Emily take Holly, after Rita (another witness) colludes to help start a fire as a diversion.  Will it continue into next year?  Who knows?

I do think Emily may get away with the baby.  Baby's are difficult to shoot with, they are only allowed on screen for minutes at a time, and normal scenes usually coverage and other things that extend a two minute scene to hours or more in actual shooting time.

As for the Commander, not trying to be at all snide, but as Phil says in Groundhog Day?  "Anything different is good, very good."  Aside from that, as one of the articles I just posted in the Media thread says?  This is the first decent acting from a man this show has ever had, nuanced, as skillful as the women on screen.  He was masterful.  The writing was better for him too, but it's what he was able to do with it, making a feast out of snacks.

Sigh. That’s what I had expected and still, I’m disappointed.

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

Hopefully that comment was incorrect and he stays on the show. 

I got the impression it was just speculation, but who knows? I wonder if anyone from the show will shed light on that after the finale.

• Love 1

I don't post much, and as it is I am a few episodes behind, but I try to keep up with the spoilers, if Emily gets the baby out, my question is, is Luke going to want to raise this baby without June being there?  That's kind of a tough one, I mean to raise another man's child, one who he believed raped his wife?  I'm not saying it can't happen and that there aren't situations out there where something like this has happened, but I know many people have not been impressed with Luke.....

• Love 1
Just now, TigerLily20 said:

I don't post much, and as it is I am a few episodes behind, but I try to keep up with the spoilers, if Emily gets the baby out, my question is, is Luke going to want to raise this baby without June being there?  That's kind of a tough one, I mean to raise another man's child, one who he believed raped his wife?  I'm not saying it can't happen and that there aren't situations out there where something like this has happened, but I know many people have not been impressed with Luke.....

I was worried about that too. I’m really hoping that Luke doesn’t turn out to be an asshole when it comes to the baby, and I have to just hope Moira will be a voice of reason . But it is worrying ?

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, GraceK said:

I can’t watch the promo :( it’s says unavailable 

Said that for me too, if you click on the youtube symbol on the bottom corner, it'll take you to youtube and it works then

3 minutes ago, maggiegil said:

Said that for me too, if you click on the youtube symbol on the bottom corner, it'll take you to youtube and it works then

Oh great thanks!!!

(edited)
16 minutes ago, TigerLily20 said:

I think if Luke won't do it, then Moira will, even if that's alone. I'm trying to think of how I'd react if this was a real life decision to be made and there's not a chance in hell I'd let my best friend's baby go elsewhere, knowing she would trust me to take care of her, while she's still stuck in Gilead. Luke or no Luke. And then there's Emily, who probably would pitch in too.

Edited by rideashire
  • Love 1
40 minutes ago, GraceK said:

I was worried about that too. I’m really hoping that Luke doesn’t turn out to be an asshole when it comes to the baby, and I have to just hope Moira will be a voice of reason . But it is worrying ?

I could certainly see Luke being that guy. But Moira and Emily and that other ex-handmaid(whose name I always forget) would make sure Holly was cared for and eventually Luke would have a special moment and get that this is an innocent baby. 

• Love 3
(edited)
36 minutes ago, VagueDisclaimer said:

I could certainly see Luke being that guy. But Moira and Emily and that other ex-handmaid(whose name I always forget) would make sure Holly was cared for and eventually Luke would have a special moment and get that this is an innocent baby. 

Yeah - with Luke it could go either way. He may just love anyone who is a part of June, but he’s a bit of a mess. Luke’s cracking (understandably so). I think Moira would volunteer to be Mom to June’s baby in a heartbeat - no question. Could be my love for both book and show Moira clouding my judgement, but I think she’d fight for Holly if she had to. 

Edited by Stiggs
  • Love 4

Forgive me because I know this is a sidetrack, but I used to work in the diplomatic service.  I wonder what the status is of a child born in Gilead is? The people who got out are American refugees, but it seems Canada recognises Gilead as a nation so Holly is technically one of its citizens who has been abducted across the border.

I realise children of USA citizens can be naturalised and in the show’s world the USA would welcome all the citizens it could get, but as the ‘child of a commander’ even if not actually biologically true it could be a diplomatic nightmare.  I doubt the show would go down that route, but 

Spoiler

In the epilogue for the book they talk about how Canada did not want to antagonise Gilead and would have round ups and returns of some refugees

Holly could become a political football.  I’m not sure it would make for gripping television so this is more just a random musing.

• Love 4
(edited)
10 minutes ago, sam77 said:

Forgive me because I know this is a sidetrack, but I used to work in the diplomatic service.  I wonder what the status is of a child born in Gilead is? The people who got out are American refugees, but it seems Canada recognises Gilead as a nation so Holly is technically one of its citizens who has been abducted across the border.

I realise children of USA citizens can be naturalised and in the show’s world the USA would welcome all the citizens it could get, but as the ‘child of a commander’ even if not actually biologically true it could be a diplomatic nightmare.  I doubt the show would go down that route, but 

Hide contents

In the epilogue for the book they talk about how Canada did not want to antagonise Gilead and would have round ups and returns of some refugees

Holly could become a political football.  I’m not sure it would make for gripping television so this is more just a random musing.

As we discussed earlier in some thread, both Canada and what's left of the USA would regard Luke, since he is the legal husband of the mother, so he would be Holly's father legally, and, unless he goes through the legal process of renouncing his parenthood?  Would have custody by their laws.

While it could be a diplomatic nightmare, somehow I really doubt it would be.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 2
19 minutes ago, sam77 said:

Hide contents

If this were a real situation, everything you're saying would be completely true. However, this is a situation controlled by THT writers. It's entirely possible that the baby will be dropped off with Luke and Moira, Erin will become the primary careetaker and we may never hear about her again.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, TigerLily20 said:

I think that Luke, having lost both June and Hannah, is probably more likely to take the baby if only because she came from June.

He will view Holly as her mother’s child and know that June obviously went through hell to get her out of a Gilead, he knows personally what an almost impossible accomplishment that is. 

What I wonder is if they will have the question brought up about Holly’s paternity.

Frankly they might have difficulty proving that Holly is June’s daughter in the first place.

June and Hannah are the only two people that share DNA with Holly, outside of Nick, unless they bring up some long-lost relative for either of them which is possible considering the show love pulling things out of their asses, but Luke does not share any biological links, neither does Moira obviously, and even though Emiy will surely claim that the child is June’s, again they still have no DNA proof so would the Canadian government, or those running Little America, actually press back and want to keep Holly separate just in case she is not who everyone is claiming that she is.

Even currently we see how many parents, desperate to get their love ones to safety, send off their children with those non-related to them in hopes that they and the child can find freedom in place of the parents, but the government of the country that the group is escaping into can then get a little funny about where that child is placed and with whom. 

Since show will be currently creating season three, and deciding which direction to take, I guess we’ll just have to wait-and-see how it plays out for now.

Maybe they’ll come up with a quick answer that somehow June’s , or Hannah’s, DNA is on file somewhere and they managed to gain access to it, who knows.

It’s just a thought, but it might be interesting if they continue with the whole Gilead increasing their media presence angle, because that might also open them up to hacking. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Just wanted to say, I said their could be a custody battle a while ago and everyone argued with me.

That said, Emily's word, possibly Lawrence's, and the FACT that Luke is the legal father?  Is probably enough.  In addition, Luke could testify he was told his wife was pregnant by a member of the delegation that was just thrown out.

Gilead has much bigger fish to fry, and much more pressing issues, so that creating more international problems by squabbling with it's closest neighbor over one baby is just a tad unlikely.

ETA

Luke though?  Who know how that dude will react?  Probably by brooding, that's all the show ever has him do.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Umbelina said:

As we discussed earlier in some thread, both Canada and what's left of the USA would regard Luke, since he is the legal husband of the mother, so he would be Holly's father legally, and, unless he goes through the legal process of renouncing his parenthood?  Would have custody by their laws.

While it could be a diplomatic nightmare, somehow I really doubt it would be.

But *is* he still the legal husband? I thought the whole point of how she became a handmaid was because their marriage was declared null and void due to the fact he was divorced. I mean, Canada is trying to get people out but also with the pictorial agenda they gave Serena, still seemingly kind of respecting the traditions of Gilead, if you can call it that.

Apologies for all the run on sentences.

Edited by Eureka
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Eureka said:

But *is* he still the legal husband? I thought the whole point of how she became a handmaid was because their marriage was declared null and void due to the fact he was divorced.

I thought they never married.

1 minute ago, DiabLOL said:

I thought they never married.

They were married. Luke divorced his first wife and married June. She just kept her own last name. When the takeover happened, Gilead didn’t recognize their marriage  and considered June an Adulteress. That’s why she’s a handmaid.

• Love 5

The Hulu promo only shows June punching Fred, which I thought was her finally erupting with rage for everything he's done to her. But the Russian and Israeli promos show that he punches her first and she reacts, which is somewhat less satisfying. If he makes it through the finale alive, I need S3 to open with him being sentenced to the Wall because he couldn't "keep his house in order" and his own wife publicly rebelled against him.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

The Hulu promo only shows June punching Fred, which I thought was her finally erupting with rage for everything he's done to her. But the Russian and Israeli promos show that he punches her first and she reacts, which is somewhat less satisfying. If he makes it through the finale alive, I need S3 to open with him being sentenced to the Wall because he couldn't "keep his house in order" and his own wife publicly rebelled against him.

I am glad you said what I was thinking. I am glad she punched him back but I wish it wasn't prompted by his punch. For once, I wish she were proactive instead of reacting.

Take notes from Emily who seizes an opportunity and plots her revenge. Slowly poising the wife, stashing away a knife and stabbing a bitch. 

All of that said, if June continues to stay under their roof next season, I am out. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Deputy Deputy CoS said:

I am glad you said what I was thinking. I am glad she punched him back but I wish it wasn't prompted by his punch. For once, I wish she were proactive instead of reacting.

Take notes from Emily who seizes an opportunity and plots her revenge. Slowly poising the wife, stashing away a knife and stabbing a bitch. 

All of that said, if June continues to stay under their roof next season, I am out. 

Yes, from S1 to now I've gone from "I don't agree with her choices, but I can see how she arrived at this decision" to "Well, maybe the showrunner's having her do this because it's necessary to a future plot" to "Now that's just stupid." 

I started out watching this feeling kind of creeped out because there are so many true-to-life situations in the show and it got so many things RIGHT. I watched it like it was practically CNN. Now, though, I find myself rolling my eyes just as hard as June did when Eden was speechifying at her drowning. 

• Love 5