Type keyword(s) to search

Season 3 Discussion

• Start Topic

This episode was gross. All of these people are gross. Someone needed to tell Cathy, but Phil did it in the worst way possible.  It's not better for her to live in ignorance. 

I love Leonard, but found the failed suicide storyline gross. Mrs. M's story was so freaking predictable. 

This show has no redeeming qualities. I will probably watch the next two to see if it improves, but will do so by fastforwarding to the end.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

I will probably watch the next two to see if it improves, but will do so by fastforwarding to the end.

I will probably read postings about it here and then decide.  If there is anyone who can stand to watch it anymore.

People in real life behave badly and out of character all the time, so I cut these folks some slack.  When you're actually living it, instead of observing, it can be difficult to see the right path.  When you're a man being ruled by the little head, it's even more difficult. 

And then there's the "life's too short" angle.  Didn't Geordie have a health scare, or some kind of injury?  I have a vague recollection of that but I might be confusing him with another detective.

Leonard reminds me of Pee Wee Herman, in appearance and mannerisms.

Not enough Dickens.

• Love 5

She had been married to his brother and it was against the Catholic rules then to marry your bother's widow. Henry thought his lack of a male heir was do the  fact that he was" living in sin" with a woman he wasn't legally supposed to have married.  The Pope refused to grant the annulment,  for political reasons,

Well, that's not 100% accurate -- apparently the Pope had given Henry dispensation to marry Catherine, which means his marriage was not against the rules.  And according to Canon Law, a marriage cannot be annulled on the basis of a canonical impediment that had already been taken care of before the marriage, so the fact that Henry thought the dispensation shouldn't have been given didn't matter. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, beadgirl said:

Well, that's not 100% accurate

Sorry, I didn't mean to be inaccurate, I just didn't want to write a book so I didn't go into the dispensation.  Of course Henry would have had, to have had some sort of special permission to marry his brother's widow in the first place and  so the Pope had given it based on his brother's health being so poor everyone thought his marriage had not been consummated.  Henry later thought the marriage actually had been consummated -- whether that mattered to anyone but Henry, I don't know.

• Love 1
(edited)
9 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

People in real life behave badly and out of character all the time, so I cut these folks some slack.  When you're actually living it, instead of observing, it can be difficult to see the right path.  When you're a man being ruled by the little head, it's even more difficult. 

And then there's the "life's too short" angle.  Didn't Geordie have a health scare, or some kind of injury?  I have a vague recollection of that but I might be confusing him with another detective.

Leonard reminds me of Pee Wee Herman, in appearance and mannerisms.

Not enough Dickens.

Real life people can't behave out of character because they aren't characters. 

I'm not watching this show to get my reality TV fix or to spy on my neighbors. I'm watching this show for the mysteries. And trying not to bring modern understanding to historical fiction, but men are fully able to control their penises. The penis does not have some magical power any greater than the female libido which makes a man incapable of rational decision making. Geordie is not a fourteen year old boy getting boners he doesn't even understand. The existence of external genitalia is not a rationale for poor behavior towards a spouse.

Moreover, we've not seen any explanation or rationale for Geordie's affair. We've not seen him questioning his mortality or his life. We've not seen how the affair began. 

And you're right, Leonard IS PeeWee Herman. Thank you. I'd been trying to figure it out for weeks.

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Love 8
12 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Real life people can't behave out of character because they aren't characters. 

I'm not watching this show to get my reality TV fix or to spy on my neighbors. I'm watching this show for the mysteries. And trying not to bring modern understanding to historical fiction, but men are fully able to control their penises. The penis does not have some magical power any greater than the female libido which makes a man incapable of rational decision making. Geordie is not a fourteen year old boy getting boners he doesn't even understand. The existence of external genitalia is not a rationale for poor behavior towards a spouse.

Moreover, we've not seen any explanation or rationale for Geordie's affair. We've not seen him questioning his mortality or his life. We've not seen how the affair began. 

And you're right, Leonard IS PeeWee Herman. Thank you. I'd been trying to figure it out for weeks.

I think real people can behave out of character.  Most of us have probably looked at a friend or relative who's done something unusual and said "That's not like you."  People surprise us all the time. 

• Love 9

Sidney couldn't remain a vicar and marry a divorced woman in the 1950's. 

Because an annulment voids a marriage, while a divorce merely dissolves it, legally. With an annulment, the vow of marriage is considered invalid. In tennis terms, the annulled pairing is a "let" marriage and any future marriage by either party would be considered their first. "Let; first service."  

• Love 2
7 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

I think real people can behave out of character.  Most of us have probably looked at a friend or relative who's done something unusual and said "That's not like you."  People surprise us all the time. 

That's because we have assigned a character box to them in our heads. And we are wrong. People don't act out of character. When someone says that, what they're really saying is 'I was mistaken in my understanding of you.'

We are surprised because we're the ones who misunderstood.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

I think real people can behave out of character.

Yes.  "character," in the phrase, "acting out of character" is referring to a person's usual behavior, not to his role in a play. Although a character in a play can act out of character, too. 

If someone usually drinks in moderation and then has too much at the party, we can say he's acting out of character.  It doesn't have to mean, "Aha!  Now we see your true colors and we were wrong about you before. You're bad!"  It could just mean he's going through a bad patch.  That may be what's going on with Geordie, or else his job with the darker side of life has permanently changed him for the worse. 

Like Auntie Pam I'm still enjoying the show and liking the characters, even though they're making bad decisions and messing up their lives. I'd like to shake some of them but I don't hate them. I loved "Last Tango in Halifax," and many of them were  creatures of impulse, too.  

7 hours ago, Pallas said:

Because an annulment voids a marriage, while a divorce merely dissolves it, legally. With an annulment, the vow of marriage is considered invalid.

Yes, I know. My first husband tried to get out marriage annulled, after we were legally divorced, so he could marry a Catholic woman in the church.  I wanted to help them out so I filled out all the paperwork trying to make myself look like a real dunderhead who barely understood the vows we took when we eloped at 19.  It didn't get the official okey dokey,  but I know people with even less reason who did manage to get annulments from RC church.  I guess it's one reason  I bristle a little bit when people imply that we protestants are just a bunch of shakey  Christians  who's only reason for choosing their church is, "so they can get divorced."  Catholics dissolve a lot of marriages, too, they just call it a different name.

• Love 7

Wow, that badly misunderstands Catholicism and Protestantism in a fundamental way.

So...the show! Tone down the soap. I want to know about the characters' personal lives, but I don't want that to take over the show, which this season it has. I think the series should end if the show runner feels this stuff is the only way to keep it going. 

• Love 7

I have already seen the last two episodes of Season 3 Grantchester and I shall keep the spoilers to myself. I admit to being disappointed that the TV series is not following the books. I liked Hildeguard and was looking forward to seeing her marry Sidney. I was shocked when she was disposed of in favor of Amanda. 

What I am wondering about is-will there be a season 4? I have looked around on the web, but can find no news. Are they waiting for US ratings to come in after the final episodes are aired?

Does anyone have any news?

Does anyone know what the s3 ratings are like?  I know we complain about it a lot here but it would be good to have some data.

10 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

That's because we have assigned a character box to them in our heads. And we are wrong. People don't act out of character. When someone says that, what they're really saying is 'I was mistaken in my understanding of you.'

There are also physical conditions that cause people to behave differently.  Brain tumors obviously but also metabolic conditions.

That said, there is no explanation whatsoever that I've seen for Geordie or even for Margaret.  Why make a play for a middling level married policeman instead of someone better?

Also Margaret has been making very poor choices in men; first Sidney and now Geordie. SIdney is in love with Amanda and Geordie is married. 

• Love 2

yes, it was a lack of imagination in response to a very real need (and good decision) to give Geordie / Robson Green more to do  -- and, I suspect, resolve Sidney's soul-killing show-killing romance / fence straddling ... if only they'd handled BOTH in the first 3 episodes and reinvigorated Grantchester rather than continue in plodding way.  I liked seeing more of Robson Green (imho he can act circles around Norton and brings more vitality to the show than the younger actor and his character as well) 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Auj said:

Margaret has been making very poor choices in men; first Sidney

Why was Sidney a bad choice? Because he was in love with Amanda? I'm not sure if Margaret knew that when she and Sidney dated. If anything, Sidney was the one making a bad choice, since he knew he couldn't fully commit to another woman.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Why was Sidney a bad choice? Because he was in love with Amanda? I'm not sure if Margaret knew that when she and Sidney dated. If anything, Sidney was the one making a bad choice, since he knew he couldn't fully commit to another woman.

I don't think he was a bad choice, but she certainly misread the signs.

• Love 1

I think Sidney genuinely tried with Margaret, but deep down (or maybe not so deep down) he knew it wasn't going to work. I don't really blame Margaret for misreading the signs, as Sidney wasn't playing fair to begin with.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I think Sidney genuinely tried with Margaret, but deep down (or maybe not so deep down) he knew it wasn't going to work. I don't really blame Margaret for misreading the signs, as Sidney wasn't playing fair to begin with.

Maybe I'm misremembering. Didn't she basically jump him? I remember her being pretty aggressive.

• Love 2

My problem with Margaret is that she reinforces the stereotype that exists even today that a single woman in a traditionally male job just can't wait to jump the bones of all the married men she works with. A friend of mine was the first woman on our police force and all the wives of the other officers were sure she was sleeping with their husbands. She finally told one wife that if she had slept with her husband, he must not be very good, because she didn't remember it at all.

• Love 8
(edited)

Gee, this show is depressing as hell.  If I wanted to watch a soap opera I'd be watching that much lauded show on NBC  (This is us?) instead of this.   All I can say at this point is that this is a bunch of characters who must be burning for the 1960s to happen so they can all run off and make themselves happy.

Edited by 12catcrazy
TYPOS
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, MissHavisham said:

Didn't she basically jump him? I remember her being pretty aggressive.

Margaret was very flirty with Sidney, but it's not as if she hypnotized him into going out on a date. He was a willing participant.

• Love 1

Masterpiece Theatre -- paid for by subscibers donations and some tax dollars -- should be better than Hallmark Movie Channel and/or Lifetime Movies .... increasingly they seem to be flogging variations of the same formulaes and the WWII war time and post-war eras... even Foyle's War began to appear desperate for new stories to tell and descended into incredibly depressing mea culpa cold war espionage intrigue for its last series but never ever descended into the soapy moral ambiguity of Grantchester, Home Fires, etc.  At this point Father Brown and Midsomer Murders appear to represent "quality" that Grantchester might aspire to.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, SusanSunflower said:

Masterpiece Theatre -- paid for by subscibers donations and some tax dollars -- should be better than Hallmark Movie Channel and/or Lifetime Movies .... increasingly they seem to be flogging variations of the same formulaes and the WWII war time and post-war eras... even Foyle's War began to appear desperate for new stories to tell and descended into incredibly depressing mea culpa cold war espionage intrigue for its last series but never ever descended into the soapy moral ambiguity of Grantchester, Home Fires, etc.  At this point Father Brown and Midsomer Murders appear to represent "quality" that Grantchester might aspire to.

Masterpiece just airs shows that were produced for commercial networks in Britain and reflect popular taste for innocuous dramas over there. Grantchester is produced and airs on ITV. I wouldn't expect the quality to be any better than what one might see on the commercial networks in the U.S. The supposed cachet of shows under the Masterpiece umbrella is that they are exclusive content because American networks don't air foreign shows.

• Love 5

You're right, Orza. 

I'm with SusanSunflower, in spirit, believing, at some level, that anything on PBS will be of higher quality than network TV, Sunday night will be even better, and anything under the "Masterpiece," flag will be extremely highbrow, preferably a fine adaptation of a classic, by George Elliot.  Hah!  Why do I keep believing when I should have learned from Bennie Hill and Mrs. Bucket that PBS will purchase any silly thing so long as they have British accents.

• Love 6
(edited)

Sunday evenings used to the most primo real estate in television, going back to the beginning of television ... in my childhood there was the World of Disney ... and I realize that "things change" but it's still disappointing, not that there's much else must-see-tv on over-the-air stations, but Masterpiece (and NOVA and the news and things like American Experience) were the bread and butter that made becoming a member seem "only fair" ... but Masterpiece probably most of all ...  so I have the double or triple regret of (1) not liking the shows (2) suspecting that this dive toward "middle brow" is/was to try to hold onto Downton new fans (3) this fare won't succeed in boosting membership  .... (4) and being big-budget prime real estate, there are the "other shows" or projects that didn't get green-lit. 

This is an HBO/Cinemax free-preview weekend for Dish, and it's rather appalling how little there is that I might want to see (or record) I haven't already seen months/years ago ... Rotten Tomatoes "coming attractions" do not fill me with anticipation.  Dunkirk might be this summer's blockbuster (aside from the comic book/superhero/zombie fare) although it looks rather predictable.  (HBO is showing the mega-budget "Pearl Harbor" from 2001 -- one of Affleck's breakthrough starring roles that had disappointing box office at the time).  Tried really hard to watch Affleck in 2002 Sum of All Fears which with it's cold-war plot was laughably dated. 

Apparently PBS's contracts with content providers morphed so it does not allow much of an "archive" or attic (I'm not sure what's available on Passport)  My best "pop culture fare" of the month was Parade's End.   Go figure. 

Call me old fashioned, but I like looking forward to Sunday evening 

ETA:  The strangest thing to me, amplified by this Kermit the Frog controversy, is how PBS' children's programs are just a frantic and loud and filled smart-assed kids speaking in strange and artificial voices (as if they were consciously playing stereotypes) ... when the whole "joy" of PBS children's programming was as an alternative to that sort of loud and hyperactive fare on the networks.  Don't know about what's on cable, but Mr. Rogers and Sesame Street were quieter and slower paced ... to better fit and engage small children's evolving cognitive development 

Edited by SusanSunflower
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, SusanSunflower said:

Don't know about what's on cable, but Mr. Rogers and Sesame Street were quieter and slower paced ... to better fit and engage small children's evolving cognitive development 

I always wonder why they think children want those sort of loud, frantic shows.  What bothers me most are the busy, cluttered sets.  Poor kids, everything in their world is some kind of sensory overload.

• Love 3

It felt to me like an episode of "atonement" pandering to disgruntled viewers in response to complaints ... an accumulation of re-sets and redemptions, 180 degree turns, returning to status quo because they really would like another season (or two) ... anyone know about ratings?   

Sidney may remain on the fence emotionally, but that he will be the one literally left behind ... better that ways since if it were HIS choice, he would be "in the wrong" regardless of the future ... I may be wrong.  

Norton's appearance is so carefully "managed" -- curated even -- it become distracting.  The untucked shirt that remained untucked for hours for no apparent reason.  The carefully "perfect" mussed hair.  Yes, he's a gorgeous hunk of man ... we get it, but his drinking is approaching "worrisome" and he's not a scintillating drunk 

• Love 4
On 7/21/2017 at 3:05 PM, JudyObscure said:

You're right, Orza. 

I'm with SusanSunflower, in spirit, believing, at some level, that anything on PBS will be of higher quality than network TV, Sunday night will be even better, and anything under the "Masterpiece," flag will be extremely highbrow, preferably a fine adaptation of a classic, by George Elliot.  Hah!  Why do I keep believing when I should have learned from Bennie Hill and Mrs. Bucket that PBS will purchase any silly thing so long as they have British accents.

I was with you until the first part of that last sentence.  The silliest episode of "Keeping Up Appearances" is still better than this contrived Sidney/Amanda nonsense.  I never liked "The Benny Hill Show" or all of "Monty Python" either for that matter, but at least one knew what to expect (more or less) when one tuned in.  As to the last part of the sentence, one only has to look at "My Mother..." to see that is true.

On 7/19/2017 at 10:48 PM, SusanSunflower said:

I liked seeing more of Robson Green

It would be nice to see more of him without having to see "more of him"!

Blech!  I wandered over to PBS out of morbid curiousity and did see some nice scenes, especially with Leonard, only to have that last scene leave a bad taste.  (aside - Well what did you expect Sidney?  She told you basically the same thing when she married Guy - her or the Church!)

• Love 2

yes, and she got her answer (again) by his failure to quickly and assertively choose her (having just returned from going walk-about for days) ... if he went away to "think things through" ... she didn't come out the winner as the happily ever after choice 

• Love 1
(edited)
21 minutes ago, SusanSunflower said:

yes, and she got her answer (again) by his failure to quickly and assertively choose her (having just returned from going walk-about for days) ... if he went away to "think things through" ... she didn't come out the winner as the happily ever after choice 

Where is the cliffhanger in a direct answer?  Things must be drug out for the season finale next week. (/sarcasm)

If this show was primarily about a vicar question his life choices dealing with the narrow mindness of a small village in the 50s the writers would be on the right track, although it would be noted that the village seems to be strangely quiet about his affair.  There should be a disclaimer at the beginning of each episode that it is not based on the books but only that some of the characters have the same names and occupations.  I fully realize that there needs to be some latitude in adapting a book for a TV series and the need for new stories, that does not mean that the writers should veer so widely from the original premise of the author.

I just realized how much this show has in common with "The Father Brown Mysteries".  Man of the cloth as part time sleuth (check), friendly with local DI (check - mostly season 1 for FB),set in small village sometime in the 50s (check), disapproving housekeeper with mysterious past, in this case a missing husband who is/was very much alive (check and check), 2nd character close to main character to pal around with housekeeper (check), set in small village sometime in the 50s (check) , would watch series based on housekeeper and 2nd character (check and double check, though I'd prefer they brought back Nancy Carroll ( Lady Felicia ) in "Father Brown")

Edited by elle
  • Love 3
(edited)

It's Father Brown subjected to the "Moffitt/Gattis effect" in which the premise of a show (detective/mystery) is subjugated in favor of delving into the "deep inner workings" of the main cast members' psyches ... to dulling effect. 

Grantchester wrote themselves into a corner making both lead characters increasingly unlikeable ... a problem since, like "Lewis", this show does not depend on anyone's brilliance ... Father Brown good points are more a matter of cleverness mixed with gentle humor and some well-played irracible biddies (Father Brown's Cusack is integral to making that show watcheable) to endear itself to the audience.  Norton said that, in contrast to Father Brown, Sidney is not a comedy figure-of-fun but a serious man of the cloth... suggesting to me that he may be seeing what he wants to see.  Norton is well-educated, yet Sidney at times seems to be maddeningly slow and/or dull ... but maybe it's just that the character is "self-involved" but it's part of why Georgie is needed to provide the sharp contrast and envigorate the story.  He did make me laugh with his "d'ya have a fight with the big guy upstairs?" line (or however that went) ... and then reminding Sidney he needed to keep doing his job regardless of his personal struggles ... d'ya think? 

Seriously, Amanda needs to kick him to the curb ... he both deserves and needs it. 

Edited by SusanSunflower
  • Love 5

I just watched the episode where Cathy finds out about the affair & Leonard tries to kill himself (poor guy) and had a question about the interaction with Sidney & the Archdeacon near the end. What was that whole thing from Sidney about Archdeacon Gabriel's parishioners calling him an Uncle Tom? I feel like I missed some context- does the archdeacon have his own congregation? 

Amanda answers the door and tells Sidney the baby is in the bath. What? She leaves the baby in the bath alone??

Mrs. M's husband who has been missing for 10 years has apparently just been living in the gypsy camp down the road all of those years? That is essentially what Sidney said. He also said he found him, because he has friends in the police force. So... how does that work? I doubt there is a list of names on file of the gypsy camp members. If it was that easy, why did no one think to hunt locally for the husband sometime during the 10 years? It makes no sense.

Was really not interested at all in the gypsy people. I just thought the whole story line was strange. Of course, Sidney appears on the scene. There is a murder. Sidney solves it. Mrs. M is so forgiving, she gives half of her life savings to the other wife. So believable. No.

• Love 14

Funny, I used to find Sidney so handsome, but now I don't think he's the least bit attractive. Thanks a lot, show, for ruining a once-handsome man. And Amanda ... WTH? Sidney doesn't tell YOU he's going on a walk about and you have to turn harpy on Leonard? Bitch. And at the end when she leaves the baby in the tub to give Sidney the ultimatum, her or the church, she made the answer crystal clear for me: The church. No question. This episode made me really hate Amanda. Sidney is just another man who wants a woman he can't have, just like all the men (including married ones) who propositioned me when I got engaged. I will admit Cathy is a cool head though, packing Georgie's suitcase for him with no outbursts. Just a see ya, don't wanna be ya. And don't let the door hit you ... so good on her. I also hated Sidney saying Leonard is "stronger than he thinks." You sod, some people do need friends in time of need. I'd pick Leonard over Sidney any day of the week, gay or not.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Pickles said:

If it was that easy, why did no one think to hunt locally for the husband sometime during the 10 years? It makes no sense.

No one knew he was alive until he came back to see Mrs. Maguire.

• Love 1

If there is another season I want it to open with the murder of Geordie.  Better yet, Amanda, since she's just annoying the shit out of me.  You know, bitch, you were the one who ditched your husband while pregnant to run to the one man who is a vicar for Christ's sake. And even after he broke his vows by sleeping with you you still get in his grill with the "church or me" bullshit because he ran off just like you did.   Sidney might have a hypocritical asshole but he has been damn good to Amanda and her child.  I just hate her ass so much I can't tell you.  I am so sick of this effing storyline that's sucking the life out of the show. 

I also agree with Norton's hotness being diminished.  I think honestly he's phoning it in and there is no life in the character of Sidney now.  I also noticed that Green looked like he doesn't give a shit either.  their characters have been destroyed a lot this season and that has to wear on the actors playing them.  The banter and bromance are totally gone and replaced with cheap melodrama.  I can't imagine what a fourth season would be like since this one's been abysmal and horrible. 

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Pickles said:

Amanda answers the door and tells Sidney the baby is in the bath. What? She leaves the baby in the bath alone??

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

And at the end when she leaves the baby in the tub to give Sidney the ultimatum, her or the church, she made the answer crystal clear for me:

I was too worried about the baby to pay attention during their big scene!  Bad writing to distract us from the plot that way.  I was one of the few who sort of liked Amanda. I forgave her for her bad decision to marry Rich Dude.  Both he and her father had been pressuring her and she had been waiting for Sidney to "speak," for years.  Well she's still waiting for Sidney to speak, but now she's waffling as much as Sidney ever did and blaming everyone but herself.  Her husband wants to try again and he loves the baby.  If Sidney gives up the church for her he will feel guilty forever.  I can't help thinking of what my dad would say to me when I was a little girl, "My advice to you, is give up drink and go home to your husband."

Best line of the night: (paraphrasing) Mrs. Macguire to gypsy woman, "I never thought he would chose a woman with such long, messy hair.'

• Love 4

I hate the Amanda story, but I don't blame her for giving Sidney an ultimatum. If they want to be together, he does need to leave the church. 

Usually stories like this have someone to root for, but both Sidney and Amanda are terrible. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, phantom said:

I just watched the episode where Cathy finds out about the affair & Leonard tries to kill himself (poor guy) and had a question about the interaction with Sidney & the Archdeacon near the end. What was that whole thing from Sidney about Archdeacon Gabriel's parishioners calling him an Uncle Tom? I feel like I missed some context- does the archdeacon have his own congregation? 

I thought Sidney was saying that the other vicars and deacons under the Archdeacon called him "Uncle Tom" behind his back.  I don't know anything about the Anglican church so I don't know if an Archdeacon would have his own congregation.

(edited)
9 hours ago, SusanSunflower said:

It's Father Brown subjected to the "Moffitt/Gattis effect" in which the premise of a show (detective/mystery) is subjugated in favor of delving into the "deep inner workings" of the main cast members' psyches ... to dulling effect. 

I laughed loudly and suddenly at this it made me wish I had a cat to startle!  

This is so spot on, it even includes the added unnecessary romantic dreck.

Was really not interested at all in the gypsy people. I just thought the whole story line was strange. Of course, Sidney appears on the scene. There is a murder. Sidney solves it.

It is the Jessica Fletcher effect!

I missed that, need to turn closed captioning back on.  Wow, the writers really want us to hate her it would seem.

Edited by elle
  • Love 1

I don't think Amanda left the baby in the bath.  If I remember right, she said it was baby's "bath time". 

I'm still enjoying the show but will be glad when Geordie and Sidney's love lives get straightened out.  It would be nice if Margaret and Cathy could have some scenes without Sidney and Geordie.  Attention needs to be paid.  Because Geordie, it wasn't "nothing" to Margaret either.  I'd like to know if she had any expectations.  Same with Cathy -- what does she see as her options?

Leonard is a treat.  Mrs. Maguire's boyfriend needs more to do -- he just stands next to her and raises eyebrows or scowls, depending on the situation.

• Love 2