Type keyword(s) to search

The Wonderful World of Disney: The Little Mermaid Live! (ABC) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

ABC to stage live TV musical production of The Little Mermaid

ABC is dipping its toe in the live musical waters this year with The Wonderful World of Disney: The Little Mermaid Live.

Billed as a two-hour special event, ABC will take viewers inside the iconic 1989 animated feature film, which tells the story of Ariel, a mermaid who trades her voice for a chance to walk among the humans, while intertwining live musical performances of the movie’s hit songs.

The special — which will be produced by Hamish Hamilton, Ian Stewart, David Jammy, Katy Mullan, and Richard Kraft — will soon cast a slew of celebrity artists whose performance will be weaved into the original animated film.

While this is the first time Disney is doing a hybrid live-action/animation experience of The Little Mermaid on-screen, the concept of weaving live performances with the film is not new. This past summer, a cadre of big names performed The Little Mermaid songs at the Hollywood Bowl, including Sara Bareilles as Ariel, Rebel Wilson as Ursula, Darren Criss as Eric, Tituss Burgess as Sebastian, John Stamos as Chef Louis, Norm Lewis as Triton, and Joshua Colley as Flounder.

The news comes on the heels of Fox announcing live productions of Rent and A Christmas Story, while NBC will tackle Jesus Christ Superstar.

The Wonderful World of Disney: The Little Mermaid Live will debut Tuesday, Oct. 3.

• Love 4

I don't get the concept of this at all. I thought it was simply going to be live action, but apparently the original cartoon WILL be playing and then...I don't know, some parts go live or whatever? As I said, this makes no sense to me.

• Love 4
On 10/25/2019 at 4:28 PM, chitowngirl said:

So they’re going to be showing the animated movie and then break into live song and dance numbers occasionally?? 

1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

I don't get the concept of this at all. I thought it was simply going to be live action, but apparently the original cartoon WILL be playing and then...I don't know, some parts go live or whatever? As I said, this makes no sense to me.

Yes, it sounds like it's going to be like the shows they've done at the Hollywood Bowl where they show the movie and then have performers come onstage to do the songs live. To get an idea, this is what it looked like the last time they did the Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl. You can see the movie playing on the screen and then they stop to introduce Lea who comes out and sings Part of Your World. There are screens around the stage that keep playing the movie. You can see it in the second half of the video when she sings the reprise.

The previous performance at the Hollywood Bowl in 2016 had slightly more costumed looks (as opposed to the more regular looking outfits they did this year). Based on the promo posted above, they are going full costumes for this new version!

On 10/7/2019 at 6:36 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Love everything except Stamos.

He played Louis in the Hollywood Bowl performance a few years ago so I think the producers cast him for this live performance because they already knew he could do it. He was fine. It's only one song and he didn't deviate from the original movie performance. I found Darren Criss as Prince Eric a lot more disappointing than Uncle Jesse as Chef Louis.

I know Graham Phillips from The Good Wife so I'm half expecting Prince Eric to be a sullen brat, but he used to sing when he was younger. This is him singing with his girlfriend at the time Ariana Grande:

Since they bothered casting someone who can sing as Prince Eric, I wonder if that means they're going to keep the extra songs from the Broadway version of The Little Mermaid. I hope they at least keep If Only.

Honestly, I'm going to be watching because of my love for The Little Mermaid, Auli'i Cravalho, and to see the dancing (Alex Wong from SYTYCD has been posting behind the scenes stuff on IG stories). I have a feeling some of the other casting is going to turn out to be a disappointment. Feel free to prove me wrong, Disney!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Is it really the same demographic? I don’t see one interfering with the other. Lol

No but if there's football on, everything else must bow down and work around their schedules. And if there's overtime? You won't see your program at all because they don't often reschedule. This one is live so why risk it?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Is it really the same demographic? I don’t see one interfering with the other. Lol

There's only one demographic these days, I think. It's "people who watch things on TV."

I do think there's probably more overlap than you'd think.   Football viewers are pretty diverse but the nostalgia factor probably draws a pretty mixed crowd for this as well.  But football has the advantage of an unpredictable result.  And adults who often control what is watched would probably opt for football over The Little Mermaid. 

• Love 2
Just now, Frost said:

I don't think this works.  Maybe if you see it live, but on TV?  I don't like the back and forth.

It's annoying and it's ruining the flow of my favorite Disney theme. Plus the live audience is too damn loud!

• Love 2
Just now, Snow Apple said:

It's weird. I guess they didn't want to do the full Broadway musical so as not to steal the upcoming movie's thunder?

I'd kill for a Live version of the Broadway show.  Screw the remakes.

And are they editing parts of the movie?

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Snow Apple said:

It's weird. I guess they didn't want to do the full Broadway musical so as not to steal the upcoming movie's thunder?

This has been in the works for 2 years. They could've done the live show. The movie isn't even filming until next year. Probably won't see that until 2021. There's no thunder to steal.

Just now, bmoore4026 said:

I'd kill for a Live version of the Broadway show.  Screw the remakes.

And are they editing parts of the movie?

I feel like they're editing parts of the movie. Plus this is the remastered version of the movie. It makes me want to go bring out my VHS of the 10th anniversary edition. 

• Love 3
21 hours ago, In2You said:

I will say this actress has the voice and mannerisms of Ariel down.

I didn't feel it.  I didn't feel the emotion or heart the song should convey.  Also, it felt rushed.

Edited by bmoore4026
  • Love 4

I

2 minutes ago, bmoore4026 said:

Why is there one Ariel having a salad while another Ariel is waaaaay over in the background with Eric?

And nothing will top the animated version of the Part of Your World reprise.

I agree. I have yet to hear a version of Part of Your World reprise that sounds close to the original.

• Love 6